[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What degree to get for software development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0004.jpg (311KB, 998x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004.jpg
311KB, 998x1024px
I don't mean for career reasons. I mean, for the actual sake of education and learning software development beyond code monkey levels.

Also consider that I'm from Europe. If I were from the US, I wouldn't ask this question. There are dozens of degrees named "Software Engineering" in the US. In the Europe, I only found a Masters degree in Amsterdam that has exactly this name. Kinda pathetic.
>>
Surely you have degrees in Computer Science?
>>
More pics please
>>
>>58950046
Is computer science still listed as a math degree where you are? If so, it's probably an awesome as fuck degree.
>>
>>58950156

A bachelors, yeah.
But that had barely something to do with software engineering. I learned more about real-life software development from experience than from all lessons put together.
>>
>>58950191
>But that had barely something to do with software engineering. I learned more about real-life software development from experience than from all lessons put together.

Yes, that is how degrees work.
>>
>>58950262

Maybe you're right, but there are tons of information about software engineering, and it's certainly established enough to be considered an engineering discipline, like any other.

Therefore, I hope to find practically applicable degrees, like for any other engineering discipline.
>>
>>58950356
Thing is it's not like any other engineering discipline. We deal in the abstract, not the concrete.

If you want to become a great software writer your only choice is to practice and get real world skill. There is no degree for that.

If you want to become a great thinker on the theory of computing, that's where university can help you.
>>
>>58950391

Maybe you're right, at least partially, software engineering really boils down to abstract "best practice", not to theory.

But nonetheless, there is some theory, like design patterns, algorithms, the very concepts of functions and object orientation. I would love to spend some time looking at all the (indeed scarce) theoretic aspects.

Software has been around for a while, and lots of problems have standardized approaches.
>>
>>58950046

People are going to get pissed about this, but here's my advice as someone who graduated a long time ago:

Make a decision. Either go hardcore, or go business.

If you're going to get a CS degree, then get one from a major and highly respected university with CS program that's known to be rigorous. I'm talking MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, etc. I'm not talking your state college or a school that's well respected but not for CS specifically. Then pursue a long-term career at the likes of Google or Facebook.

If that's not a realistic option for you, then go for a different hard degree. I'm talking EE, Mech-E, or Mathematics. You still might get in at Google or Facebook, plus you'll have other skills you can use for side work or for a career change later.

If you can't hack that, then get a business degree. People here scoff at this, but if you can't be a great software engineer, then your career will be better served by either having business acumen OR by just being an office drone with the best technical skills around.

Consider this: you'd probably have a longer career with greater income by becoming a CPA who happens to have the best Excel hacking skills in the office than you'd have by being merely a mediocre software engineer with a CS degree from a mediocre university.

And even if you're an excellent software engineer, disaster can strike. You might find yourself debilitated by a bulged cervical disc or by carpal tunnel. Or you may just get sick of the crazy competition when you're 30 and want to start a family. In this case, you'll probably want to go management, and a business degree would help you get started here.

Also, a business degree will help you speak the language of your superiors, and help you to find independent work.

One of the best software engineers I know has a business major and a CS minor from Berkeley. He's better than almost every CS major I've ever met from any other university.
>>
>>58950437
You got a degree without learning OOP or algorithms?
>>
>>58950488

Nah.
I learned them, that's the point. But I never got the feeling of learning it thoroughly.
>>
>>58950466

Thanks for the well-written advice.
I'm already a software developer and I've never considered anything else. I've been coding since 16 or so and I'm good at it.
>>
>>58950046
If you only know computer science (algorithms, big-O notation, discrete maths), you're an ivory tower academic.

If you only know software engineering (project management, design patterns, unit testing) you're a code monkey.

Any degree will have a mix, but in different proportions.
>>
>>58950046
wtf I love Misty now
>>
>>58950356
Software engineering in academic parlance is a subset of CS which involves the study of the management and design of a large-sized software.

If you want to progress beyond codemonkey levels do a degree in CS. What you learn in OS, Architecture, Distributed Systems, Algo & DS, Networks, Databases etc. will make you a better software developer.
>>
>>58950046
Who is this wad god?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.