[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>higher education

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

File: just.png (160KB, 661x394px) Image search: [Google]
just.png
160KB, 661x394px
>higher education
>>
>some basic course starts with basics
WHOA
>>
>>58949435
It's for the Yale students.
>>
>he fell for the Ivy League meme
>>
this course moves a pretty good pace, and covers a lot. do your fucking research
>>
>>58949435

>Week ZERO
Basic concepts in the "Introduction to CS" class
>Week 1
"Here's C"
>Week 3
"Make me a program that solves the game of 15"

To be fair, this course is a lot better than what most Universities offer. That and them putting up vids of their other courses is pretty generous.

Got no beef with CS50
>>
Yale is just where your meet daddy's friends to give you a job where you don't actually need to do anything because everyone has photos of everyone sucking each others dicks
>>
File: 144094323363.png (29KB, 398x394px) Image search: [Google]
144094323363.png
29KB, 398x394px
>>58949755
>being this butthurt

Honestly Ivy league is the only way to do college right objectively. Learning at a good pace, paying fairly (usually not at all unless your rich), and getting worth-while connections. You get recognition and almost guaranteed a job.

I'd loved to be proven wrong

I got to my state university. I wish I worked harder in highschool, but I can only blame myself for instilling these horrible habits I picked up. I've been thinking of dropping out this sophomore year and trying again later. Maybe this is just another wrong decision I'll regret.
>>
File: kel.jpg (14KB, 262x263px) Image search: [Google]
kel.jpg
14KB, 262x263px
>American
>>
>>58950128

Ivy League is literally just a meme for rich people's kids to party for 4 years until they build strong enough social links with other rich families to get jobs.

Most major research that matters is done by state universities, and they'll still connect you with decent jobs if you take the opportunities they give you rather than sitting in your dorm.
>>
>>58949435
>>Wow, you're in Yale!
>>What did you do during your first week?
>I played with LEGOs to program
>>
>>58949435
Used this in my gcse coursework project until someone leaked answers online and a different piece of coursework on visual basic had to be done to replace it.
App inventor is so easy this bullshit probably cost me a grade.
>>
>>58951479
>Most major research that matters is done by state universities

https://mup.asu.edu/sites/default/files/mup-pdf/MUP-2013-Top-American-Research-Universities-Annual-Report.pdf
>>
>>58950128
College/University choice doesn't matter too much outside of picking a purely abysmal learning institution because it's what the STUDENT makes of it, not the school. Went to a state university on the super cheap after going to a community college for the first two years, went from my uni to a comfy job in within two months after graduating, already getting ready to move on. Everyone I met and knew at that university went on to get a job almost instantly after graduating.

Ivy League has high potential to be a meme purely because of the intelligence associations made about its students.

tl;dr - you have ~4 years to study just about whatever the fuck you want in your spare time and do cool shit or just jerk off while building a portfolio, git gud and don't be THAT GUY
>>
>>58951959
this. my graduating class was 10 people from the "bad engineering" version of the state college and i had job offers rolling in because i interviewed well, had good grades, and some work to show.
>>
>>58949435
To be fair Scratch is pretty good at teaching the basic concepts without having to worry about syntax.
>>
I'm doing that course right now, having trouble with Mario.c
Trying to solve it on my own but I'm sort of an idiot
>>
File: 1309341858374.jpg (62KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1309341858374.jpg
62KB, 400x300px
>>58950169
>Your CS Degree from the University of Pajeet will never mean anything
>>
>>58953431

Here's your tip, Think about the total length of your line, then think about the blank spaces before your first #. Then think about the relationship of those two numbers and how they correlate with the number of #'s needed
>>
>>58949435
>Literally 1st day of class
>Scratch is literally only used to get you thinking in a pseudocode manner
>Dropped the next week when you start learning C
>>
>learning programming at university
I learned C when I was 12. When I was 18 I knew more than people coming out of CS mills now.

I can't think of a bigger waste of time and money. Documentation has existed since computers existed. People used to learn programming as a hobby without even being able to afford a computer. You don't need an instructor. You need to know how to read documentation and that's it.
>>
>>58953859
And the only reason people learned programming at universities pre 1980 was so they could get access to a computer. Those computers cost more than schooling cost so there was no choice.

If you are learning programming at a university post 1980 post personal computer you are a complete sucker.
>>
>>58949462

>basic course
>in university

Why didn't they start with addition and subtraction, Mr. everybody has to start somewhere?
>>
>All this Yale hate
>No Harvard hate

As a limey Brit, can someone inform me to what the difference is between the two. You know, given how this is a Harvard course and everything.
>>
>>58949435
>american education
>>
>>58953859
Normies need everything spoonfed to them and then confirmed as valuable by people they view as an authority.
>>
>>58954243
>"normies"
>>
>>58954194
They're both shit. Don't touch anything from those schools. They're institutions that do not allow Anglos to attend. There's nothing but minorities and Jews in those schools.

They're just coasting on the fumes of prestige from decades ago. They're shit tier now.
>>
>>58954194
Oxbridge bants
>>
>>58954295

I understand perfectly now.

>>58954291

Very much like Oxbridge. It's always nice to know that the Cambridge students are the laughing stock of the Veterinary Medicine world. Their course is 2 years longer than all the other vet schools, and they don't touch an animal for 3 years.
>>
>>58954310
I'm dead serious about Anglos not being allowed in Ivy League schools. They're mostly Jews, minorities and some a small minority of token whites of varying ethnicity except Anglo. The only Anglos in Ivy League schools are professors with tenure that got in before the purge.
>>
I know literally nothing about programming, doesn't this look like a way of teaching kids in kindergarten though?
>>
>>58953460
> same to your SJW university's
>>
cs50 has terrible psets and really long and self indulgent lectures. But the material itself and the pacing are good. It's just quite easy to finish some of the psets without knowing what the fuck you're doing and without learning anything.
>>
>>58954902
what would you recommend over it?
I feel like how you mentioned basically
>>
>>58954771
It is, that LEGO kit is intended for 6-16 years old kids
Not meme universities start with C, Python or Scheme, and usually you're expected to know a bit of programming already
>>
>>58955277

You have to remember that this is also an elective course that anyone studying ANY other major can take.

So your bleeding heart English major liberals can and do take it, because it's become that meme unit where they rip the phonebooks up.

Also, it's week ZERO, not week one.
>>
>>58949435
Uh what. It's literally the most basic CS course you can take. It's not meant for people with programming experience.

Most universities go something like

>intro to cs (no programming, all theory)
>intro to structured programming (more theory, some c or python)
>object oriented programming (c++ or java)
>data structures (c++)
>discrete mathematical structures (c++)
>>
>>58957387
BTW most people with experience just skip into OOP
>>
>>58950128
trust me dude don't drop out
state school is infinitely better than nothing
you are super young and if you get motivated and work hard there's absolutely no reason you won't be able to succeed in the same capacity as ivy league grads, they just have an easy in usually because they're already fuckin rich and have been set up for success all their life
be proud of your roots and accomplishments and stay humble you got this bro
>>
>>58949435
My uni said that you didn't have to have any prior experience with programming, but they at least started with Python.
Is this some kind of american libshit trick to get feminist landwhales to study CS?
>>
>>58961809
No because even feminist libshit landwhales will drop CS50 before the final project, and then the real programming classes start.
>>
>>58961843
Then what is (((their))) plan?
>>
>>58953931
How else do you expect people to learn if they don't start from the beginning?
>>
>>58961863
Get punched Nazi.
>>
>>58961863
Universities just make as much money as possible by extorting children and parents, perpetuating a culture that mandates you go to college and allowing them to continue raising the price.
>>
>>58949629
>"Make me a program that solves the game of 15"
False, they just ask you to implement an interactive Game of 15 (not solve it), and they already give out a base template that implements the nitty gritty of it, and all you have to do is fill in the blanks / write the simple functions.

It's pretty bad desu.
>>
>>58962731

>not doing the "hacker" edition of assignments
>>
>>58949435
>Ivy League
>>
I made this thread yesterday and closed it when it had zero replys
>>
>>58949435
>>higher education
How many they paid for that ?
How many dickcoin for a Yale diploma ? Haha
>>
>>58949435
That's less readable than pure text, what the hell? No one really needs colors to follow along with code, right? ...right? Even for absolute beginners, that's disgusting.
>>
>>58963483
Trump's kike son in law basically paid for a free sociology degree in Harvard while he partied and did business in Boston, the most lame thing is that his father also had to do a donation to get him in.
Ivy League is a meme, they cash in on the rich and get qualified shitskins for their research depts.
>>
>>58953931
They actually do but really short in binary & hex
>>
Tbh i did Scratch sophomore year of high school, and that was only the first semester. Second semester we got into java.
Fast forward to freshman year of Uni and I've switched from wanting to do CS to EE, so I only have to take the into CS class. They start right off with coding C++ and C in a Linux environment.

This is at UNT, how tf is Yale starting with fucking scratch??
>>
>>58950128
Just transfer to WGU
>>
>>58963532
>No one really needs colors to follow along with code

I take it you don't have syntax highlighting in your text editor/IDE then? That's pretty hardcore man.
>>
File: wojakcrying.jpg (63KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
wojakcrying.jpg
63KB, 633x758px
>>58949435
>go to some shitty no-name state school
>it's actually somewhat rigorous, CS program goes in-depth with math and fundamentals and is only ~10% programming
>mfw people will think this kind of shit is what I did there
>>
I wonder if I can dig up my fizzbuzz in Scratch
>>
I am 20 in a CS uni and I don't know any programming languages yet.
I'm halfway through the first year too.
>>
>>58965084
>20
>first year
You weren't very bright I reckon. Seems so given you're implicitly assuming you take programming in your first semester.
>>
I feel like if more people knew math, their lives would be a lot easier. College lets too many get through without basic skills like logical calculations.
>>
>>58954881
>university's
>he values political ideologies over educational value
fucking rajesh i swear
>>
>>58963759
if you need physics credit for EE take yuankun lin, everyone else in the physics department is terrible
>>
>>58953931
In first world countries unlike yours we have high school courses that count as college credit. You prove that you're ready for a challenge in those and get expedited to sophomore year. Just because you're not smart enough to do it doesn't mean no one else can.
>>
>>58949435
Holy shit I'm doing this in AP computer science. Learning JavaScript through a drag and drop front that eventually forces you into text mode. I'm about to finish the course in June. Tomorrow we are going into arrays. Going to college on a scholarship to do electrical and engineering with a minor in CS. What language should I learn over the summer?
>>
>>58965783
>You weren't very bright I reckon.
It's never too late to start, r-right?
>>
>>58966679
Its never too late to start.
>>
>>58950128
My understanding is that undergrad institution doesn't matter that much as long as you don't go to DeVry or some shit.

It's very important for grad school, though, and from what I hear don't even both with law school if you don't make somewhere elite.
>>
>>58953931
yes because not all high-schools are able to cover the vast array of subjects that exist.

I took every computer subject I could get, at a relatively expensive private school in Sydney Australia. I was not once exposed to a programming language. They were all 'digital media' oriented.

I got into uni doing a non-computer related degree, promptly took the first introductory programming course I saw, and now I write software for a living.
>>
>>58965783
>20
>too old
top kek
>>
>>58949462
My basic course started with Python
>>
>>58966663
Underage ban.
Also, C
>>
>>58949435
It's embarassing for anyone to have to learn the basics of programming in college. By the time they're in high school they should have mastered several languages.
>>
>>58967102
Lol why does everyone hate DeVry? Is it because of the youtube ads?
>>
>>58967261
goddamn this board is full of elitists
nothing new I guess : ^ ) fugging normies
>>
>>58949755
>you don't actually need to do anything because everyone has photos of everyone sucking each others dicks

Congrats on pointing out the secrets of the """masons""". Now go be a rock band manager and have all the necessary phone numbers and extensions handed to you on a silver plate.
>>
>>58967285
oh i forgot..
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
>>
>>58967257
Good C book?
>>
>>58967306
The C Programming Language
>>
>>58967344
Thanks
>>
>>58967306
Code Complete
>>
>>58967344
>>58967384
Any other good advice about CS in general.
>>
>>58949435
Looking at that crayon code gave me cancer. Why the fuck do they have to ruin tech with this shit? I wish I had lived in the 60s and worked on the Apollo project or some shit.
>>
File: 1384633191082.gif (485KB, 300x126px) Image search: [Google]
1384633191082.gif
485KB, 300x126px
>>58949435
>Scratch
Aside from the fact that a University shouldn't be THIS basic in introductory courses, why the fuck do people still use this shit?
I taught middle school students how to code Python.
Why expend the effort into using this garbage when you can use the same amount for something that isn't 100% useless?
>>
>>58963898
>syntax highlighting = crayon blocks

Fucking hell.
>>
>>58967410
Read the wiki. I talked about this in another thread but back in HS I'd spend a lot of time reading various wikipedia articles on CS shit, going to the library to read books, and going to thrift stores to buy old books on programming, CS and CE shit. You'd be amazed at what you find.
Sounds autistic, but it's my interest and passion so I don't really give a shit. You can never be too knowledgeable in what you're (or what you plan on) studying
>>
File: o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-570.jpg (70KB, 570x576px) Image search: [Google]
o-SMUG-MAN-SUIT-570.jpg
70KB, 570x576px
>>58967421
>python
>"isn't 100% worthless"
>>
>>58967411
Yeah I really wish I could have been a part of the 60s/70s/80s programming scene
>>
>>58967439
Try convincing me that Scratch is equally as useless.
You can't do shit with Python, but you can do even less with Scratch
>>
>>58967437
Yeah I can definitely agree with that. Last year, as I was preparing to apply to college I wasn't really sure if CS and CE were what I really wanted to do. So Im really glad I took the chance of taking that AP CS class in highschool to get a proper intro into it.
>>
>>58967102
This guy has the right idea.
Your undergrad degree determines your salary for what? A few years?
If you go back and do your masters though that will effect your salary for the rest of your career. The most efficient path is to go to a cheap (but good) school for undergrad, work for a few years, then go back for masters at a top tier school.
>>
>>58967471
Relax. I just wanted a reaction. Python is slow and annoying in some ways...but it's a hell of a lot more useful than ScratchShit.
>>
>>58967494
Assuming I do pretty well in college (Plan on double majoring in CS and math) what are some good grad schools that aren't competitive and hard as shit to get into? I'll shoot for it of course, but there's a chance I probably won't get into an Ivy or MIT
>>
>>58967526
I'm not too sure what schools would fit that since I'm a finance major myself.
You'll have to look into schools that are well known for your area of expertise, but not extremely difficult to get into.
I really think you should aim for a good university though.
Why do you say you probably won't get into an ivy league school? For higher education they also take your work experience into account.
>>
>>58967296
And have record companies subtweet you and have your workplace gaslight you of the videos your """friends""" have you in a compromising position that has taken effect on your mental health.
>>
>>58949435
I can relate anon
I had to do that garbage for the entire first semester
By the second semester (this semester) I just stopped going to class and already got an interview with Dell
I still want a degree but there is no point in wasting half my day with some guy rambling about some kindergarden shit so I plan on finishing everything online
I'm also from Tennessee and they have free community college here
>>
File: Lone_Mountain_Campus.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
Lone_Mountain_Campus.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Even at shitty pay2graduate USFCA we started with Python from the command line on the very first day for Intro to CS and were making useful programs by the end of the first week.

App Inventor is a crutch and teaches really shitty habits when you move on to more advanced stuff.

It was harder than Python because it oversimplified everything and the higher-level database functions make no goddamn logical sense.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.