[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firmware General?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1-firmware_1_orig.jpg (178KB, 610x406px) Image search: [Google]
1-firmware_1_orig.jpg
178KB, 610x406px
Hey /g/ I'm always hearing about downloading and installing custom firmwares like in cameras and music players and such but how would one go about creating their own? I would like to create my own just as a learning experience and want to know what programs or tutorials would be most useful?

Also why not a firmware general?
> good firmwares
> firmware creating
> anything about said topic
>>
that's a bit too broad
firmware of an audio player doesn't compare to a firmware of a smart dishwasher
>>
Yes just open the firmware file in winrar and add all the extra apks
Thats how i became the king of phone modders in india
>>
File: 1485470510178.png (380KB, 826x958px) Image search: [Google]
1485470510178.png
380KB, 826x958px
firmware is not free
>>
>>58948360
Start with something well documented.

I'd start with something simple like working with an aruino
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/HomePage
Firmware is all opensource and hosted on github.
>>
>>58948888
thanks
>>
>>58948360

fell for the DD/OpenWRT/Tomato meme and it slowed my router to a halt and almost bricked it.

what the fuck, looks like you need smartphone tier 8core8GBram hardware to run this pile of fucking shit.
>>
>>58949665
>fell for the DD/OpenWRT/Tomato meme and it slowed my router to a halt and almost bricked it
It werks for me.
>>
>>58948360

For any modern device the "firmware" is an image of the operating system and user interface application. To write your own you would need to know ALL the hardware details, the memory map and obviously you'd need to compile code to run on whatever CPU/SoC the devices uses.

Manufacturers obviously don't release that information to the public.

So tl;dr you can't create your own.
>>
>>58949665
perhaps you are retarded.

It works fine on my router with a 200mhz mips processor and 16MB of ram.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.