[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/. I have 15V power supply but this TV needs 13.2V (bought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0306_noexif.jpg (2MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0306_noexif.jpg
2MB, 3024x5376px
Hi /g/. I have 15V power supply but this TV needs 13.2V (bought it used and it didn't come with cable). Would the TV have a voltage regulator? Is it safe to use it since it's only slightly higher?
>>
>>58945364
Do you have the equipment to verify exactly how much voltage the power supply is outputting?
>>
Probably.
>>
>>58945374
No. Are you saying the information printed on the power supply isn't always right?
>>
>>58945427
There are tolerance levels.
>>
>>58945364
ive done this a few times.
it always ended in my device's electronic board frying.
>>
>>58945364
My laptop says she wants 19V. I've fed her 16 to 21 Volts, she is okay with it.
>>
Hmm. Well I can't measure the voltage. Should I just play it safe and not use it?
>>
>>58945495
Well I think I'll try a lower voltage supply first. Seems a little safer.
>>
So does anyone know how these old Emerson TVs handle higher voltages? Or somewhere I can find out?
>>
If it's something designed to plug into a vehicle it should be able to handle anything from 12 to 15, because alternators.
>>
>>58945651
Well it may actually be. Its quite small. I think I'm gonna try the 15v now
>>
Oh shit. I used the 15v and when I plugged it in a saw a spark in the TV. Did I just dun goofed
>>
>>58945731
Yes. I wish I was in here 10 minutes ago. Putting a 15V supply on a circuit designed for 13.2 is at best going to thermally stress the regulation circuitry and eventually cause failure. At worst, well you got that one. If you smelled magic smoke then you blew a cap or reg. You're fucked OP.
>>
>>58945824
Well what about the guy that uses the higher voltages on his laptop?
>>
>>58945824
It might still work, had some trash-picked computer speakers where a filtering cap blew up the first time, but after removing it worked fine.

>>58945854
The voltage rating is a meme and depends entirely on the circuit design, cost/space cutting measures, etc.
You can't always get away with it.
>>
>>58945949
So you cant trust the rating? You can only trust what a meter tells you?
>>
>>58945949
So I would have to remove any caps that blew but wouldn't necessarily have to replace them? Could there be multiple blown caps?
>>
>>58945854
It's not a good idea. The EEs who designed the board might have built in some tolerance, or maybe they didn't. Having a wider input range means more money in the BOM. If you don't understand the design and the tolerances on the parts, then just stick with the nameplate rating.

>>58945949
You just pulled the filter cap? I'm surprised they still worked, and if there was no noticeable liine hum in the speakers I'm even more surprised.

>>58946135
Power supplies are generally within 10%. Sometimes the open circuit voltage is as much as 50% higher than when loaded to rating though. Depends on the design. When in doubt, test it.

>>58946155
In a set of speakers you might get away with that shit because it's probably all passives and an analog amp. In a TV you really need the smoothing because it's going to have delicate digital logic. Good luck trying though.
>>
>>58946214
Wait digital logic? This is an old TV. What digital logic is there?
>>
>>58946506
I'm a noob when it comes to electronics that aren't computers btw
>>
>>58946710
dont worry you are in the right place
>>
>>58946155

hopefully im not here too late but dont go fucking around in a crt tv that you just powered on

its going to be charged for hours now maybe even weeks

you would need to discharge the CRT with gloves and a ground or a conductive screwdriver (without killing yourself)

seriously dont start poking around in there unless you use precautions

youre dealing with heavy amperage
>>
>>58948093
christ

this is why you guys cant give out advice on shit you arent familliar with

you guys fucking blew up a guys tv and now probably ruptured his heart

great job /g/
>>
>>58948146
the day /g/ tried to be /diy/

>man dies

stick with software
>>
Hahahaha. No I'm not dead. But I wish I had went diy now I guess :( rip TV
>>
I am late to the party but why is there a AC input right next to the DC input? Shouldn't it have worked with AC anyway?
>>
>>58945364
>I have a 15 V power supply, but the TV is 13.2V

>There's a fucking AC 120 Volt Input right there

Why are you making things difficult for yourself?
>>
>>58950939
I didn't have that cable either and didn't expect to find one.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.