[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux is only free if your time has no value. ~Pope John Paul

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: johnpaulii.jpg (169KB, 1496x1796px) Image search: [Google]
johnpaulii.jpg
169KB, 1496x1796px
Linux is only free if your time has no value.

~Pope John Paul II

Why is /g/ so obsessed wth this hobby OS?
Why do you refuse to use windows/macos?
What good is free software if you don't check the code yourself for malicious functionality? Do you really trust (((((universities))))) pretending to audit it's code?
Serious question. No trolling allowed ITT.
>>
>>58945336
why is his face yellow?
>>
>Do you really trust (((((universities))))) pretending to audit it's code?

more than the average IT company, and way more than the big players.
>>
>>58945425
cameras with shitty filters don't alter the image to account for the fact that skin is usually transparent and the fat underneath is what pictures capture.
>>
>>58945455
But still, you have to "trust" someone.
Don't you remember FBI backdoor in IPSEC stack?
At least microsoft, regardless of how jewish this company is, never shared private user data like bitlocker recovery keys with governments our the world.
Also do you really think you data is so important to the government that they are going to actively spy on you every day?
It's like people being afraid of using bitlocker... to hide their private shit from negroids stealing their laptops.
>>
haha rzułtom
>>
>>58945511
>our
fucking autocorrect. AROUND the world
>>
>>58945336
stupid cenzoposter
>>
File: 5195942721_75634ea071_z.jpg (290KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
5195942721_75634ea071_z.jpg
290KB, 640x640px
>>58945336
Windows is usable if your bandwith and privacy have no value

~Pope Alexander VI
>>
>>58945336
>Somethingsomething
>~Polish guy

Rly
>>
>>58945336
>No trolling allowed ITT
t. an actual troll
>>
File: 1431293500960.jpg (30KB, 562x399px) Image search: [Google]
1431293500960.jpg
30KB, 562x399px
>>58945336
Oskarek wypierdalaj na wykop i nie wracaj bo cie dojade
>>
>>58945498
>>58945425

it's an oil painting U DIPS
>>
>>58945511
I'm writing this from an unencrypted ubuntu laptop, my desktop is a windows 7 that has pretty much no encryption.
I do have a home FTP-server, IRC-shell and general machine as well with a decent bandwidth, so I really don't have trouble showing people whats on my harddrives themselves.

The moment Microsoft drops support for windows 7 I'll be moving to a completely linux environment. I've already had bad experiences with windows 10 despite the fact that i've never had to use it for more than an hour at a time, and not many times.
>>
>>58945336
serios answer: i make money off linux administration. more than average senior java dev.
>>
>>58945671
what's wrong with windows 10?
Ok, it does spy on it users, but only if the user is too retarded to create microsoft account and leave default privacy settings on.
With winaerotweaker or any debloating script it's the best windows available on the market.
>>
>>58945689
I'm talking about your daily use PC, not dedicated work laptop.
>>
>>58945700
>depending on 3rd party shitware to make paid vomit usable

Even OSX better than this torture.
>>
>>58945336
because macOS has annoying UI shits that are unfixable and has an init that makes SysV Look usable.

plus a lot of shit is only accessible through some Apple tier bullshit set of tools and utilities instead of through sane /proc and /sys virtual filesystems.

note I'm completely ignoring the god awful HFS+ fs.

it's basiaclly a single user OS with some bullshit UNIX™ cuck stamp on it to make kiddies who use it feel special about themselves.

Windows 10 is just spyware.
period.

it's virtually unusable shit mired in garbage ass "everything has to be muh gui" UI that's basically a nightmare to actually configure or maintain.
Also lolbinary configs.

bash for wangblows is retarded too.
probably should be using powershell, which can actually do something to your underlying winshit system. also bash for wangblows is literally just a shittier version of cygwin.
>>
>>58945575
>bandwith
What do you mean, like, internet bandwidth? Yeah I very rarely use up all of it, if ever, and I obviously have unlimited data.
>privacy
My privacy is only valuable to my country's intelligence and advertisers. Both are fine, since I'm not a criminal and I have adblock.
>>
>>58945736
but winaerotweaker is opensource
also you can debloat it yourself via gpedit and some cmd commands
>>58945737
>period
no, you can debloat it and it's not a spyware.
>>
>>58945749
>no, you can debloat it and it's not a spyware.

ya ok kid. you keep believing that bullshit.

it's nonfree to the core.
>>
>>58945758
What are you some commie?
>>
>>58945749
I don't want to see the "Just werks™" related to W10 again.
>>
>>58945700
>it does spy on users, but only if the user is too retarded
and most people are. think outside of /g/.

I personally don't like the UI, and the fact that you have to tweak it with 3rd party programs doesn't sound too nice either.
I can usually go a pretty long way with Ubuntu repositories themselves when making a fresh install and getting everything you need (dev tools, media capability, communication) for normal operation, can't be that much different for the desktop except for the occasional Steam gaming.
>>
>>58945714
i don't use such item as "dedicated work laptop", however i use linux machines exclusively on daily basis, because muh comfort, ecosystem, security, realiabilty and so on
>>
>>58945763
no i'm liberal you nazi pig
>>
>>58945336
>Linux is only free if your time has no value
>implying Linux takes longer than any other operating system to learn.

If you had started with it instead of Windows you'd be just as comfortable with it.

It's not like Linux requires that much adaptation to use. Installing Ubuntu takes less than half an hour.

The problem is Windows users install the operating system and then try to twist and turn the OS this way and that until it breaks and then because they don't have experience with it they don't know how to troubleshoot it.

If you install the OS and try not to fuck with too many things at first your experience will be a lot smoother. Try to change things slowly.
>>
>>58945816
Then why do you see nonfree software as inherently bad.
>>
>>58945835
because it pushes the window of acceptability to the point of such a dsytopian shitworld that you have garbage-ware like android and smartphones as a whole in 2017.

I can't wait for smartphone-like shitware to be implanted in my brain in 2025.
>>
>>58945826
How can I not fuck with too many things when a lot of the essential stuff doesn't work?
I still haven't come across a distro where suspend when lid closed worked for my laptop out of the box.
I install any Windows I want, 7, 8.1, or 10, and it works immediately.
Not to mention the lack of software on linux.
>>
>>58945835
because it is opposite of liberal.
>>
>>58945857
How is Android and smartphones dystopian? Also your post is one of the times when slippery slope really is a logical fallacy.
>>
>>58945671
Nobody cares about your threats to gimp yourself. Literally nobody
>>
File: 1442021110766.png (50KB, 328x220px) Image search: [Google]
1442021110766.png
50KB, 328x220px
>>58945740
>Both are fine, since I'm not a criminal and I have adblock.

You can't make this shit up
>>
>>58945867
Liberalism values and protects the right to private ownership. Companies should have all the right to not expose their source code to plagiarists.
>>
>>58945875
depends heavily nonfree blobs and kernel/userspace drivers

IMEI is required by law which allows carriers to inject code at whim whenever they want that bypasses your shitty OS.

many "shitcurity" concepts such as retardedly complex userspace sandboxing (which literally doesn't work) and nonfree hardware level hypervisors were born from smartphones.
>>
>>58945880
>gimp myself
To be honest, all I'm clinging to in windows is the games. If I wasn't such a manchild that playing vidya with friends wouldnt be fun to me, this wouldn't even be an issue.

I'ts more like the windows is gimping me with the games.
>>
>>58945336
>Why is /g/ so obsessed wth this hobby OS?
It's good
>Why do you refuse to use windows/macos?
I don't trust them not to spy on me
>What good is free software if you don't check the code yourself for malicious functionality?
The ability to this matters a lot, since if you suspect something is not doing what it says, you can simply check it. It would be extremely optimistic to try to sneak something malicious past all users for a long period of time. Malware has gotten into the Gentoo repositories before, but it was a fairly unpopular package that did not go for all that long before getting noticed.
>Do you really trust (((((universities))))) pretending to audit it's code?
No, but I trust Americans not to trust their government. If there was a issue with university code we would know.
>>
>>58945909
Yeah, so? Nobody cares about this shit in the real world. Not because people are blind sheep, simply because they are not autists.
This is not equivalent to implanting devices into your brain. You can just choose not to use a smartphone.
>>
>>58945700
Microsoft told you that it's not spying on you anymore after you changed the settings?
I'm not sure you fully comprehend how little that promise is worth.
>>
johannes paolo di secondi pierdolo piccolo bambino xD
>>
>>58945875
>How is Android and smartphones dystopian?
How many cuck out there with stagefright bug in their pocket? Many, and because soc manufacturers won't let mainline kernel on their stupid board and usually do everything to prevent rooting. Nougat also can brick the phone is you try to disable botnet.
>>
>>58945968
Oh noez, a device that you bought by your own will doesn't let you do haxxor 1337 stuff on it!!
What an Orwellian, dystopian world we live in! xD
>>
>>58945826
Learning things isn't the problem. The problem, for Linux, is why do people want to learn to use an /inferior/ desktop OS?
>>
>>58945992
ok we get.

you're a corporate cuck.

if you can't see anything wrong with any of those things then obviously you should kill yourself.
>>
>>58946022
If all normal people killed themselves, nobody would be there to pay your NEETbux.
>>
Windows is dog shit. Lets face it, it's 2017. Everybody and their mother uses the internet now. Obviously since Windows and Mac is in the "mainstream" eye, it will be used by every ignorant half-wit who happens to be curious about the internet. They both suck, but probably don't suck as much as using a mobile device to connect to the internet like Android, which is even worse than Windows and Mac. Pretty much all for-profit technology is spyware laced garbage trying to piggy back off you for easy money. And if you don't use your brain to get off Windows and Mac, you'll never be anything more than a shill when it comes to technology. Truth is now over and out. Thanks for following along!
>>
>>58946022
"you're a corporate cuck", muttered the anonymous, counter-culture hipster, as he sipped on his Starbucks coffee while pecking away on his non-corporate Lenovo hacktop.
>>
>>58946117
whoa

how did you know i was drinking pike place starbucks coffee?
>>
>>58946163
I work for the NSA.
>>
>>58945336
>Why do you refuse to use windows/macos?

This is America. Why would I use an OS that intentionally attacks my freedom?

>What good is free software if you don't check the code yourself for malicious functionality?

The whole point is that free software opens up the market for secondary services such as rigorous security auditing, whereas in MSFT and AAPL country those secondary markets are mostly focused on reverse engineering and forensics.

>Linux is only free if your time has no value.

This is the internet, no one's time has any value. Computers only exist to waste everyone's time.
>>
>>58946220
>Computers only exist to waste everyone's time.

Well, there's the giveaway.
>>
>>58946183
(You)
>>
Here's a question for you, why does it affect your life in any way? It's my computer. Run whatever you want on yours and be productive in your own way.. It's not that complicated. The software I choose runs exactly what I want, if I need something on windows it's usually at work because it's licensed software that needs to be used for collaboration purposes. The servers I build all run centos linux, they're easy to deploy and maintain and most importantly they do what I tell them. I do that because my time DOES have value. It's generally faster to do the administrative things I do using linux. I like getting paid to have free time, because I'm lazy and I like money.
>>
>>58947600
There is a reason why /g/ so aggressively tries to force me into installing linux, right?
So it does affect my life? No?
>>
>>58945671
>too dumb for windows 10
Im sorry for your loss. Maybe Arch will cater to your teenage sensibilities.
>>
It's relevant in the workforce, excellent for many types of servers, and has a lot of good Linux exclusive software.

Suck a dick OP.

I'm on Win10 right now though.
>>
>>58945336
Linux isn't free at all. It's proprietary since it's shipped with nonfree blobs.
>>
File: Pedofil.jpg (94KB, 950x584px) Image search: [Google]
Pedofil.jpg
94KB, 950x584px
Proszę zobaczyć, idzie pedofil
>>
>>58948084
what did you have to do to make windows 10 usable? go ahead, defend yourself.
>>
>>58948788
debloat from metro shit, purge diagtrack, disable most services, install alternative software.
About 40 minutes of work. Script available online does it in 1 minute.
>>
File: df.png (103KB, 277x481px) Image search: [Google]
df.png
103KB, 277x481px
>>58948716
Pa jak lezie, plackarz zasrany
>>
>>58948808
>>58948716
pls
>>
>>58948806
blackbird?
>>
File: Nie obrażaj.jpg (48KB, 761x577px) Image search: [Google]
Nie obrażaj.jpg
48KB, 761x577px
>>58948808
Panie, nie obrażaj pan, dobre?
>>
>>58945993

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
Haha, papiez, haha, ale smiesznie, haha
>>
File: elo.png (36KB, 950x584px) Image search: [Google]
elo.png
36KB, 950x584px
>>58948914
Fuck you chuj
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.