[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Noob question about personal server

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: tired wojak.png (11KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
tired wojak.png
11KB, 268x188px
Hello /g/ am probably going to get laughed at for asking a noob question. But I have an old laptop sitting around I want to use as a LAN server. I know you could just install windows on it and use windows homesharing to store files but I want to go deeper here. As in, I could be on another computer in the LAN and go to a website hosted on that computer that is LAN only. Is this possible, stupid? If I get literate enough I might try to forward port 80 down the road and maybe create a email server to share with family outside LAN. But that's another time.

What Linux distro do you recommend? I know about apache, MySQL, PHP. I kind of know my way around a terminal and have coded HTML before so I can learn along the way.
>>
File: 1486929250976.png (75KB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1486929250976.png
75KB, 325x244px
>>58933869
>>
ubuntu server

don't run email servers at home
>>
>>58940345
Everyone on this board only pretends to know about technology
I recommend Ubuntu server and following a basic tutorial
>>
>>58940369
There's nothing wrong with running your own email server, just assume that you will be hacked (if someone wants to hack you)
>>
>>58940369
Or centos and nextcloud. Thats a comfy config.
>>
>>58940723
That's why you install fail2ban on it
>>
>>58940345
I have your exact setup there with a 240€ Ideapad I got off warehouse deals.

I use Debian, you can use literally any Linux Distribution, but Debian or Ubuntu are generally recommended for Servers on this board.

Basically, you'll have to learn about your Home Network. Anything with IPs starting with 192.168.x.x can be safely assumed your home net, and will be reachable with each other once you connect to the router.

Simplest means to check would be installing Apache and connecting to the Computer via Browser by just putting in the local IP, you'll see the default Apache Homepage and if you know some HTML you can already put your stuff here.

Then you learn about changing the port to something other than the Standards so potential attackers will have to at least do a fucking port scan first.

After that learn about DynDNS with for instance noip.com to make the computer reachable from the outside, i.e. your phone. You'll have to make the port of your router go through to the PC for that, and you might want to learn about SSH-Connections at that point.

All of this should take you about a week of tutorials, but is easy to achieve and quite motivating to get right.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.