[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone else taken the MIT python course? i am struggling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 9780262529624_0[1].jpg (1MB, 1200x1528px) Image search: [Google]
9780262529624_0[1].jpg
1MB, 1200x1528px
has anyone else taken the MIT python course?

i am struggling through the midterm right now and I've already gotten a bunch of the questions wrong and I've on a couple of the programs ive had to try multiple times on pythontutor to get them right.

if i am not doing well in this course, does that mean im just not meant to be a programmer?

i feel like if i had any talent whatsoever by this point i wouldnt need to go back and rewatch all of the lectures to refresh for this midterm.

for the programmers on /g/, did programming immediately click with you and at that point did you know you were meant to be a programmer?
>>
>>58939108

I did okay in my intro comp sci class, which used Java. It actually took me a few tries to get into Python, I guess I was so use Java. I found reading some other books and taking codecademy course helped with Python. You might want to try those.

And don't worry if it still find it too hard. People have different talents and programming might just not yours. OH well, there are probably lots of other things you could become good at.
>>
>>58939247
do you think theres any merit in forcing myself to get good at programming even if i have literally no talent and most likely below average intelligence?

can i still end up being a good programmer?
>>
It's fine if you struggle, as far as beginners classes go, MIT has a really good one and that means it should be tough. A classmate of mine once said that if you take a class and it's never hard, then that class was a waste as you're too advanced for it/not learning anything. Programming is a way of thinking more than anything else and it can take some time before you get into the right mindset. But if you're serious about learning, then it will pay off.
>>
>>58939272
try web design. It's more visual and easier to learn
>>
>>58939437
>It's fine if you struggle
i mean, for the first problem that eveyrone had trouble with they recommended we take only 3-4 hours to solve it but it took me about 12 hours spread out over a couple of days to figure it out.

in addition this midterm is only supposed to be 3 hours long but if you include how much studying and stuff i do on the side this midterm is easily 9 hours +

does this mean that im just not fit to be a programmer? given that i am clearly not meeting the standards that MIT has established in terms of expected time to completion?
>>
File: 1486587047916.jpg (16KB, 190x188px) Image search: [Google]
1486587047916.jpg
16KB, 190x188px
>>58939481
You can be retarded but a retard with enough time can be a master in the future

So the question is: Do you have time?
>>
>>58939108
>for the programmers on /g/, did programming immediately click with you and at that point did you know you were meant to be a programmer?

I waffle on genetic determinism, but personally I just "knew," if I didn't grok my self-study of Java in 9 to 10 months I was going to be couch-surfing after my wife left me and took our daughter with her.

tl;dr: Absent some kind of heuristic i'm unaware of, there's no way of telling if you're not a person who can program or if you're just not sufficiently motivated. If you find yourself forced to do something or face seriously negative consequences you'll often find it can be done even if it isn't enjoyable.

I actually enjoy the work these days, it's been three years since I started, but I wouldn't say it came naturally to me.
>>
>>58939108
I took this class 1 year ago. For me some exercises were pretty easy but some ones had hurdles for solving and spent more time than reccomended by syllabus. Eventually I passed this course with 75% mark (but could achieve higher mark if I didn't miss some deadlines.

I would reccomend next: write notes of video lecture (it helps to structure your knowledge), spend more time reading discussion boards, read additional materials in order to better understand some concepts
>>
>>58939108
I'm doing it but I didn't try the midterm assignments yet
>>
Programming classes at good schools are really hard
>>
Anything worth doing will probably be hard. Not a programmer but learning php/MySQL to build an event planning application. I learn the most by purposely mangling code from the book and bending it to suit my needs. I'm sure a Dev would be horrified but how else do you reach the little Epiphanies where you realize how something works?
>>
>>58939108
No, things don't click for people. You get 'er done by practice and memorization. If you're struggling with python, it's because you haven't practiced enough.

Do the python course on codeacademy.
>>
I've found the programming courses are made exceptionally easier by doing stuff on your own. Go through a list of programming challenges and put yourself to the test.

I've person always found that tackling large, over ambitious problems is a great way to getting better at something fast.

Bite off a big personal project, more than you can chew. Trust me, you will learn shit like crazy that way.
>>
>>58939108
It's obvious you don't grok Python but it doesn't mean you can't become a very good programmer. Some have to try a lot harder to get to the same level as other, more 'naturally talented' people. This is true for all fields; I would use a football example but you're probably American. If you really want it, keep at it.
>>
>>58939108
Try CS50 course
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.