[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Possible dying harddrive? Or something else

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 23232424.jpg (163KB, 1127x678px) Image search: [Google]
23232424.jpg
163KB, 1127x678px
So occasionally, while I'm playing something it crashes, and then task manager stops responding, or other weird things happen like "Windows is not responding".

Restarting or logging out is impossible, it just gets stuck in the animation, so I have to do it with the button on the case. After this usually my browser windows are forgotten and reset to homepage, and sometimes other programs forget settings like launchy.

One time I just waited for a while while it said "Windows isn't responding" and then I noticed that 2 harddrives I have (W and N in the pic) were suddenly showing their folders are totally empty.

So I panicked but restarting the computer (which became possible) returned them to normal.

What's going on with my windows?
>>
>>58938439
Also: I'm confused because it seems that the hard drives are fine
>>
File: PSX_20170213_221712.jpg (96KB, 500x762px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20170213_221712.jpg
96KB, 500x762px
I have one question before I start. Has it always been like this? From the second my computer was built there was always a 50% chance that Windows wouldn't boot up correctly and be insanely slow. Windows then bricked itself beyond repair and I had to format the entire drive, and from there the new installation works perfectly
>>
>>58938500
I only had massive problems like this once with windows xp, didn't have something on this scale in many windows installations.
>>
>>58938523
>>58938500
Oh and also, on this installation specifically this hasn't happened in like a year+, only started recently.

I also used ultimate windows tweaker 4.2 or whatever that thing is called, to disable telemetry and other things. At some point I noticed that cortana and telemetry had a running process so I assumed something went wrong with that and ran it again.

No idea if this is related.
>>
Your hard drive is probably failing.
Had the same problem a few years ago. My hard drive would randomly stop reading/writing while I was using my computer, everything would suddenly start freezing as soon as I tried to do anything that resulted in disk activity, a few mins later windows would lock up completely. The disk died a few days later.
I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be the same thing, but I'd back up my shit if I were you.
>>
>>58938670
I wonder why hdsentinel is saying it's PERFECT
>>
>windows
>>
>>58938439
My shitgate baracuda was looking just fine in the tests before it kicked the bucket too.
>>
>>58939078
Which harddrives are the least likely to die?
>>
>>58938670
tfw my grub boot drive has the same behavior whenever i use linux. is it time to get rid of it?
>>
I dissconnected the hard drive

I am pretty sure that was it... is there anything I can scan it with that will actually show what's wrong?
>>
>>58941195
Why do you need to know exactly why it is failing? If it is going bad back up your data and replace it. You can't exactly fix it.
>>
>>58942041
Because I had 2 drives fail before but they were clearly showing bad sectors and making audible clicking sounds, this one isn't doing anything and shows nothing wrong
>>
HDAT2 for complete sector scan, also sounds like bad ram
>>
>>58939292
HGST.
>>
>>58942183
idk man unplugging the drive seemed to have solved it for now
>>
>>58942183
Does that only work from a cd/dvd drive? Because I don't have one
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.