[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cell phones and open source

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2663.jpg (65KB, 685x415px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2663.jpg
65KB, 685x415px
So what does everyone use for cell phones and software/ app stores here?

Currently using an iPhone 7 plus due to divorcing google over privacy and ethical concerns over them modifiying search resualts, I know Apple is no better so I'm looking into going back to an AOSP android and hoping to keep google services off my device. Interested in any one else's take on this and what you all use.

Here is what's important to me if anyone has any suggestions

Some map/directions program
Browser, I assume Firefox is best
And one of the ones I know can't be open sourced but wondering if anyone has had any success sideloading it, I NEED the Robinhood stock trading app.
>>
File: b8.webm (680KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
b8.webm
680KB, 960x720px
>>58929127
>>
The only way to not get tracked by a smartphone is to simply not have a smartphone at all. You can minimalize the issue but you can't eliminate it. Google doesn't change my search results and I don't see ads so i don't know if they're geared towards me.

You can always just install all the apps you want off the playstore then remove your Google account from the phone.
>>
>>58929193
I understand this is the only truly secure way but there must be some middle ground between giving all your info over to the google overlords and carrying a pay as you go flip phone. I was really hoping the ubuntu phone would make progress but as it stands it looks nearly unusable. I was hoping other people in here had tried to move away but maybe I'm just the only overly paranoid one here, I'm just going to go ahead with aosp and try using f-droid as my App Store and see if I can make that work
>>
>>58929127
For maps I've found OsmAnd. On F-Droid and seems to do a solid job.

I use MicroG to de-google my phone while still keeping the necessary infrastructure for some apps.

Haven't had any issues sideloading any apps.
>>
>>58929398
Thanks for the suggestions, never heard of microg looking into it now
>>
>>58929398
Good call on the microg this is the kind of thing I am looking for for sure
>>
>>58929556
Glad to hear! Gives you a lot of choice in usage. I personally use the play store with it (only due to app purchases), but Fakestore/blankstore are probably better for privacy. Personally was more worried about location tracking from Google so UnifiedNLP is a big sell for me.
>>
Copperhead os
>>
>>58929127
My problem with touchJizz is all the shitty samsung apps i cant uninstall. I probably could root and do it but i dont care enough to go through the trouble.
>>
>Hangouts isn't compatible with micro g
I need new friends desu.
>>
>>58930323
>hangouts
Who uses that shit?
>>
>>58930474
My friends, unfortunately.
We all had Android phones a.dthought it would be as good as iMessage.
I've tried convincing them to move to telegram so I don't need Google play services, but it isn't very convince
>>58930474
to ask people to change im clients.
>>
>>58930066
Nice, looks interesting for sure, will probably pick up a 6p or pixel and give that a go thank you
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.