[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is hacking anyway?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 1450352328809.png (707KB, 752x620px) Image search: [Google]
1450352328809.png
707KB, 752x620px
I read the sticky and I know you're not my personal IT guys but I'm sick of movies and tv showing me some edgy retard just pounding away at the keys of their mac book pro and then
>I've shut down their security network!
>I'm let me turn off the lights for you
>I'm patched into the power grid!1!!1
Like what the fuck? That's not possible is it? And from what I've seen on the news the only real hackers are in Russia and China and they somehow just get into people's emails through what I assume is brute forcing the password? I feel like hacking is nothing more than a buzzword now.
>>
>>58919888
>>>/sqt/
>>
>>58919888
I'm sure medical professionals groan every time their profession is glamorized and bent over backwards just to serve the plot.
>>
>>58919888

Much like hollywood depictions of hacking, you haven't gone into enough detail to say anything of substance.
>>
>>58919888
Real hacking is very boring and repetitive and requires quite a lot of social engineering skills, the most important of which is the ability to get what you want from other hackers. Hackers keep most of their secrets to themselves, and if you want to get something you have to have something to offer in return.
>>
>>58922285
>Real hacking is very boring and repetitive and requires quite a lot of social engineering skills
Social engineering is not hacking. Sadly a majority of hacking (especially in the west) is just social engineering these days.
>>
>>58919888
Playful cleverness.

t. Gibson hacker

hack the planet
>>
>>58922301
>Social engineering is not hacking.

Why post about things you know nothing about?
>>
>>58919888
Plot writers are fags who went to art school due to being shit at math since they were 12 years old because of their inability to shape their thoughts according to logical patterns. The depiction of hacking in their work reflects their lack of knowledge on any technical matter whatsoever.
>>
>>58922355
>hurr I tricked customer support into giving me access to someone's email account I am such a 1337 haxx0r

It's not hacking. No one cares. People like you are why the hacking community is so lame nowadays.
>>
>>58922523
Yeah see this is what I'm talking about. Like how the fuck did those chinks hack Sony a while back? All I know about hacking is from what I've seen on a couple of news reports. Like sending an email to someone with a word document but the word document has Spyware in it so you can see everything on their computer.
>>
>>58922547

One example of hacking is writing a program that sends everything the victim types back to a server. Like you said, this program could be embedded in a microsoft word document that automatically (and silently) installs itself upon opening, or it could simply be link to the malware disguised as an innoculous download.

Companies do have hardware firewalls to keep hackers out, as well as software measures to detect if changes are being made to their servers. A lot of hacks involve tricking someone to install something (eg. opening a malicious link to an infected word document), or simply using publicly available information to guess passwords.
>>
>>58922285
>>58922547
>>58922669
You talk so much about programming, but you cant talk about hacking because you cant actually do anything. I run a hacked network of computers that I programmed to click on googles ads in my secret website. I even write my own viruses to make people get hacked into my network. I work at home and have a bunch of screens showing me what people on my network are doing on their screens. I can even set it so that i can see the code of their computers. can you guys do any of that? I dont think so. I bet you dont know where all the websites real hackers hang out are either? if you name them, I just might tell them that marshviperX sent you.
>>
>>58922688
oh snap is this going to be one of those copypastas? maybe if i recognized your trip i would spend time slandering it.
>>
>>58919888
Hacking is all of us and none of us

You mess with the best, you die like the rest
>>
>walk into a building like you own the place
>find a computer that is unattended
>search all files on every drive/network share you can for the strings "192." or "password"
>download those files or the surrounding text

You can automate the above process however you'd like, but this will give you an alarming amount of access.
>>
>>58922725
You must be new here.
>>
>>58922725
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little newfag? I’ll have you know they've ranked top out of all the hacker gangs on the Internet, and they have been interviewed by numerous international news agencies, and have over 300 confirmed Government-related website defacements. Anonymous hacktivists are trained in cyber warfare and are the top 0day exploiters in the entire world. You are nothing to them but just another unpatched Apache server. They will wipe you off the fucking Internet with DDoS precision the likes of which has never been seen before on the WWW, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about Anonymous over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak Anonymous, the final boss of the Internet, is contacting it's secret network of Guy Fawkes mask wearing soldiers across Facebook and Tumblr and your IP is being doxxed right now so you better prepare for the shitstorm, faggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. Anonymous hackers can be anywhere, anytime, and they can exploit you in over nine-thousand ways, and that’s just using the Windows operating system. You don't want to know the type of carnage they can cause in Kali Linux. Not only are they extensively trained in Linux administration, but they have access to the entire Linux kernel and can create an entire Operating System designed solely to fuck up your day, and Anonymous will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the Internet, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you Government-loving shill. Anonymous is chargin' its laz0r, and with it will fire fury all over you and you will burn in it.
>>
>>58919888
100 hours of reading documentation to create something new in a piece of shitty firmware or alternatively just emailing someone a macro enabled word file that opens up a powershell session which connects to your C&C server. Life is shitty.
>>
>>58922301
This is because the attack surface has gotten smaller. It's not like in the old days were everyone wrote in C and memory errors were everywhere. These days everyone is doing patch coding from one framework to another both of which get extremely tested. The ability to hack into a system is often directly related to how proprietary it is because that's the part that is most likely to have fuckups.
>>
>>58922688
How can I name these super secret websites when they're super secret. I bet there aren't even any websites where hackers hang out. They probably hang out in person in abandoned buildings because they're so cool and anti society that don't conform to capitalist ways of meeting in public spaces.
>>
>>58919888
So you watched some movies read a few news articles (probably not even from a site that focuses on security news) and declared hacking dead without even being able to properly describe it? I have to ask you a question to sate my curiosity. Does it hurt being that retarded, or are you so brain damaged that you can't even feel pain anymore?
>>
>>58922806
you mind if i take this pasta and reheat it?
>>
>>58922841
>tfw you will never get to experience the wonders of hacking the early internet

I can't even read about old exploits because they just make me sad. Glad to know that virus writing is still a thing though. Too bad I'm not autistic enough for it.
>>
Nobody, and I repeat, nobody wants to see how real hacking is done.
>>
>>58923534
Computerphile isn't a popular channel
>>
>>58923380
Well I didn't declare it dead, I just didn't understand it. And to answer your other question, I would go with the latter. It didn't hurt to ask make this thread or admit my lack of understanding on hacking or computer shit in general.
>>
>>58922806
Id jst lyke 2 intaject 4 a momment. Wut ur reffering 2 as LInux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as Iv resently take'n 2 calling it, GNU plus LInux. LInux is not an operrating sistem on2 it'self, but rather anuther free componnent of a fully funcshinning GNU sistem made usefull by da GNU corelab's, shell utility's and vitul sistem componant's comprizing a full OS as defind by POSIX.

Meny computor user's run a modafied vershin of da GNU sistem every day, w/o realising it. Thru a peculeer turn of event's, da vershin of GNU wich is widely used 2day is often called "LInux", and meny of it's user's r not aware th@ it is basicly da GNU sistem, develupt by da GNU Project.

They're rilly is a LInux, and these ppl r using it, but it is just a part of da sistem they use. LInux is da colonel: da proggie in da sistem th@ alocates da mashine's resourse's 2 da other proggies th@ u run. Da colonel is an essenshul part of an operating sistem, but usless by itself; it can only funcshin in da contest of a commplete operrating sistem. LInux is normaly used in combonation w/ da GNU operrating sistem: da whole sistem is basicly GNU w/ LInux added, or GNU/LInux. All da so-called "LInux" distrobution's r rilly distrobution's of GNU/LInux.
>>
>>58923868
Well since you were kind enough to answer my question I'll give you a straight answer. No hacking isn't a "buzzword" people still do interesting shit all the time, but its boring as shit to watch so hollywood spices it up, and only infosec related sites actually cover these things unless it targets somebody famous.
>>
File: Maisie_Smith_5129698822.jpg (93KB, 634x725px) Image search: [Google]
Maisie_Smith_5129698822.jpg
93KB, 634x725px
>>58919888

Oh no op, "hacking", in the sense of gaining unauthorized access to computer systems, is very real.

>>58923534

This is also true.
>>
>>58919888
two things.
1. Hacking is very real, its just slow and boring. Not a visually exciting medium to put in movies so movies have created kinda an action oriented version of it. I mean, how are you going to have a movie about a guy who sits in his apartment, smoking cigarettes fucking around on irc and his terminal for months screwing around with servers while smoking cigarettes and eating pizza.

2. the hacking you hear about in china and russia is profit incentive hacking which isn't very interesting or sophisticated usually. . The neat stuff you don't hear about because its boring to most people and there isn't much profit in it.
>>
>>58919888
Here's a great tutorial on hacking

qt.vidyagam.es/72h6M48.bat

Hack the planet!
>>
>>58926879
>inb4 link to a backdoor
>>
>>58919888
Hacking can refer to anything from social engineering (conmen) to actually writing scripts and exploits (crackers)
>>
>>58919888
a handful of the things they do are technically possible, but just about none of it is remotely realistic as far as how they go about it, and especially how quickly they do it
>>
>>58919888
>I'm patched into the power grid!1!!1

>hackers break into the US power grid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL9q2lOZ1Fw

>compromise of corporate networks using spear-fishing emails with BlackEnergy malware
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2015_Ukraine_power_grid_cyber_attack
>>
>>58919888
what was on original pictur?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.