[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lava lamps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: Lava-Lamps.jpg (82KB, 1240x775px) Image search: [Google]
Lava-Lamps.jpg
82KB, 1240x775px
my gf wants a lava lamp for her birthday

where can I get the coolest lava lamp from?
>>
The internet
>>
>>58916934
ty anon but do u know a specific place on the Internet?

what style of lava lamp is the best

im admittedly a newb when it comes to lava lamps
>>
>>58916930
make sure you get the kind with real lava. none of this fake shit - let your gf know you're serious.
>>
Google "cool lava lamps", and you'll find some sick ass lamps my dood.
>>
>>58917358
ty friend, how can I know im getting the real deal and not shitty fake lava?
>>
>>58916930
Don't buy it online, if lava lamps are shaken, they get cloudy and are borderline impossible to get clear again. And you should know that UPS doesn't give a shit about the "Pls be careful" sticker.

Go to Target and ask to open the box to make sure it is clear, even there you can get a lemon and you'll be stuck with a cloudy lamp.

Don't buy cheap Chinese knockoff lamps, they'll overheat and cook your lava.
Also get an 8 hours timer for it. Always run cycles of 8 hours, never more than that.
>>
>>58918486
>cook your lava
I don't think you know what lava is anon.
>>
>>58917726
>tfw not collecting real lava directly from an active volcano for your gf like a real man
>>
>>58916930
What's your budget?

To get started with lava lamps you should be fine with a $650 quantum dot lava display. If you really get hooked then you can start looking at those $3000 ones, will serve you for years. Anything cheaper than $500 is pure garbage, don't touch it.
>>
>>58916930
Lava lamps need heat to work, you are going to be hard pressed to find one that works at colder temperatures
>>
>>58916930
Read
>java lamps
>>
File: 1484099470348.jpg (67KB, 782x944px) Image search: [Google]
1484099470348.jpg
67KB, 782x944px
>>58919781
>>
>>58916930
>>
File: fiery-interior-is.jpg (633KB, 2000x738px) Image search: [Google]
fiery-interior-is.jpg
633KB, 2000x738px
Get a real lava lamp. I have a Mellen 1250 and it works pretty great. Costs a lot to run, but it really ties my underground lair together

Also watch out for the lava from active volcanoes part, it will show up cold. Regular basalt with low gas content works just fine.
>>
File: mathmos astro baby.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mathmos astro baby.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
I had a cheaper lava lamp which had some visible quality downsides. The wax wasn't really good looking and the glass had air bubbles and this ugly molding scar or whatever it's called. Since it was turned on all day I thought it would make sense to buy a better one.

I've decided to go for a lava lamp from Mathmos which seems to be the premium brand in Europe. I watched videos on YouTube of all the different colors they offer and then went for a purple, orange Astro Baby lamp and I'm mostly happy about it. The colors are really intense, the movement of the wax is great and all the other parts like the glass look great too.

The only downside are the bulbs which I didn't really look at before I bought the thing to be honest. They use 28W Mini GU10 halogen bulbs which cost like 14 Euro per piece on their website and can't be found anywhere else. Eventually I found out that their lamps only use 25W though but I still have to import them from the UK on ebay to get them at all. So I would watch the kind of bulbs they use too, also the kind of wattage they use to save money on electricity.

They also have a new product called Mathmos Neo which looks really great and has much cheaper bulbs but I still didn't like the colors they offer.

Another thing I found from my research is that the lava lamp market got divided at one point between two big companies so you can't actually buy these Mathmos lava lamps in the US.

Also someone wrote in this thread that these lamps break from shaking. That's only true if they are turned on but they also break from being turned on for too long. The lamp I have should be turned off after 6 hours and that seems to be the case with every lava lamp from what I've read online.
>>
>>58919796
what do you do all day hueahuerheuahuerh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinvdoyBsEc
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>58919998
this /thread
>>
File: Bahdumtish1.gif (4KB, 38x25px) Image search: [Google]
Bahdumtish1.gif
4KB, 38x25px
>>58919781

bah dum ch
>>
>>58916930
>/g/ - Technology
>>
Walmart
>>
>>58916930
i'd go with aliexpress
>>
>>58921361
op here

are lava lamps not technology? I'm not sure what board could possibly be more appropriate unless there is a secret /lava/
>>
>>58916930
Mathmos are the original lavalamps, other than that I don't know which are good.
>>
>>58916930
http://www.mathmos.com/
>>
>>58921715
>he does't know about /lava/
>>
>>58916930
go to any fucking furniture/lamp store/ikea/similar

jesus christ people, be a bit functional.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.