[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Walmart Area 71

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

File: wmdc.jpg (39KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
wmdc.jpg
39KB, 600x404px
http://subtopia.blogspot.com/2006/06/area-71.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/14/business/yourmoney/what-walmart-knows-about-customers-habits.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20070426150740/http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org:80/walmart/2007/spying_operation.php

This right here is Walmart's "Area 71" datacenter. That's right, it's a literal and absolutely fucking massive botnet. If you've ever set foot in a Walmart, you've been botnetted. If you've ever protested against Walmart, you've been botnetted. If you've reported on suc protests, you've been botnetted. If you were for some reason dumb and connected to their wifi, all of your personal emails are now theirs and the botnet's. If for some reason you're working there, you're actively being spied on by the botnet.
People are quick to scream "BOTNET" with the traditional companies (Google, MS, Yahoo, et al), but many don't realize that Walmart is also a massive botnet. Arguably, a far more scarier botnet that's actually real and literal.
>All of the data are precious to Wal-Mart.
>>
I save money. That's what matters.
>>
Babby's first botnet

t. Costco
>>
>>58909254
That doesn't even make sense to have a datacenter that big for storing customer data and doing analytics.

You could seriously do that on like 1-2 racks.
>>
File: figure1.png (45KB, 736x548px) Image search: [Google]
figure1.png
45KB, 736x548px
"Botnet" and data collection/surveillance aren't the same thing, retard. Back to /b/ or /pol/ wherever you came from.
>>
>>58909282
Source, I am a sysadmin that used to work at a big data company that did petabyte level analytics and it only took 2 racks and only cost like a million bucks.
>>
>>58909282
>Thousands of stores
>Millions of victu- I mean customers
>1-2 racks
Are you retarded
>>
>>58909254
OP is right. I work there and analyze customer data for advertisers to use. For instance, I know from OP's shopping experience that he is a major faggot who likes to suck dick in the walmart bathroom stalls.
>>
>>58909282
Of course. Only one of the rooms is actually used to hold servers. The rest of it is used by the C-level guys to hold pizza and hotdog parties with their business partners.
>>
>>58909295
>are you retarded
>asked the guy who tried to sneak a 'u' in 'victim'
>>
>>58909293
p
o
s
t

s
p
e
c
s

like from the top of your mind, bandwidth, RAM, CPUs ,etc
>>
>>58909295
Nigger, I put together a cluster that had a petabyte of storage on the local hosts in 1 fucking rack and it didn't even take the whole fucking thing.

Not even going into the high capacity SAN I had set up.

Having a huge fucking warehouse to crunch analytics is some science fiction shit.
>>
Unless it's underground that's a fucking tiny facility.
>>
>>58909358
We used cisco forget the model with like 32c64T per 2U unit ( think), each had like 768GB of ram, and 24 2.5" 10k rpm drives forget the capacity, with a total of around 1PB for the whole rack.

They were all connected via this super high speed network interface that did like 48gbit per connection and they each had 2 going to the switches, it was some proprietary connection, I forget what it was called.
>>
>>58909254
I'm probably part of a minimum of 100 botnets anyway. I don't really care anymore.
>>
>>58909482
Infiniband, by mellonox, I had to google it.

Was pretty fast, we had our product crunching numbers on a database that had I think 50,000 tables.
>>
>>58909554
Infiniband isn't proprietary and thus Mellanox is not the only one who uses it
>>
>>58909607
Meh whatever, we had remote network engineers set the network shit up, my only participation in that was physically connecting that and configuring the hosts since networking isn't my thing, just linux, vmware, windows.
>>
>>58909554
>>58909607
>>58909673

Was just looking over old notes, btw. Mellanox is the switch manufacturer (and I think there were mellanox cards in each host), and the tech they used was infiniband.

It's fun going down memory lane, that was a couple of years ago, I work for the government now, we don't fuck around with expensive shit like this, I really miss working with engineers.
>>
This is obviously used for logistics and control as well as central inventory management.

Who do you think coordinated the hundreds of thousands of trucks, deliveries, orders, routes, invoices etc. While shaving off tiny fractions of overhead from everything by using computer assisted infrastructure?

When a truck gets dispatched from some warehouse you can guarantee it's cargo is 100%optimized to take care of the delivery needs along it's defined route while also minimizing fuel consumption per trip and unloading time per stop. This is not figured out by humans.

How do you think warehouse inventory management works? And ordering? You have to ensure that a SKU spends the least amount of time in storage, is delivered in a timely fashion, weigh cost against loss for short or delayed order, figure out which supplier can meet service standards for a given requirement and it goes on and on and quickly becomes so complex it's hard for Humans to do efficiently.

And this, is how Walmart is able to save a big chunk of money and still remain profitable. If you had a bunch of humans running around trying to manage everything I can ensure you it would go to shit before long.

t. Someone who worked with computer assisted logistics management
>>
>>58909282
I think they're saying it's not just customer data and analytics. It's every bit of security cam footage, every single archive of its competitors prices, archives of all current trends, etc.

Crunching the numbers doesn't require a huge amount of space, but storing it does.

Source: I too am data center
>>
>>58909254
Walmart isn't the only company doing this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

The only way to get around shit like this is to make sure you pay in cash so that you aren't giving them something they can tie all of your purchases to.
>>
>>58909254
But is it in Arkansas?
>>
>>58909254

Is /g/ using botnet ironically, or are you all actually so fucking retarded that you don't understand what a botnet is?
>>
>>58909254
Walmart has their own internet and satellite infrastructure
>>
>>58910591
i assume (hope) people know the difference, but are using the term as it has become ubiquitous in referring to this sort of thing. I'm sure plenty of people have no idea what a botnet is, but even /g/ probably the majority knows the technical difference.
t. someone who has too much faith in humanity
>>
>>58910627

It's not just a technical difference, it's a wildly, completely and utterly dissimilar thing.
>>
>tfw you're so paranoid about tracking you even regularly change you gait in public
>>
>>58910627
I seriously doubt the majority of /g/ actually knows what a botnet is
>>
>>58910580
Missouri, but it's so close to their HQ that you might as well call it Arkansas.
>>
>>58910732
You first, do you actually know what a botnet is?
>>
>>58911560
A network of infected computers used for things like DDoS attacks and spam
>>
where dat wally wally world video when i need it?

SHE IN DA LINGERIE SECTION

SHE BUYIN PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTYHOSE

PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTY PANTYHOSE
>>
File: 1483500540504.jpg (31KB, 480x547px) Image search: [Google]
1483500540504.jpg
31KB, 480x547px
>>58911597
Literally pic related.
>>
There are roughly 5000 walmart stores in the US alone. Operating everyday. Lets assume an average of 5 cameras per stores operating at 480p with bit rate of 500 kbps each. That's 2.5 mbps per store per second. With walmart cameras operating 24/7 this is 86400 seconds. That's roughly 26.5 gigabyte per day per store. 26.5 GB * 5000 store * 365 days ~= 48 petabytes per year. 48 petabytes / 1 TB HDD = 48,000 HDD * 3 HDD RAID5(minimum) * 5 year operating space = 720,000 1 TB HDD.

Since datacenter hard drives aren't meant to max out their drives, lets assume additional 30% buffer space for HDD. This would result in about 900,000 HDD required to store walmart video security system.
>>
>>58911898
>2.5 mbps per store per second
Per second per store per second
Watt is this?
WATT
ACCELERATE ONE KILOGRAM ONE METER PER SECOND PER SECOND, PER SECOND? GET IT?
>>
anyone remeber when the walmarts simultanously closed down parts and some they closed 100%

they said it was due to plumbing but my friend worked at 2 of the stores and she moved back and forth as a supervisor and she said that both of those didnt close down the bathrooms or sinks and that they had armed guards with shipment containers moving back and forth between the quarenteened zones
>>
>>58913965
some people said that it resembled a bunker since they had those guard rails and theres no windows and its all concrete

they added a bunch of extra cameras too and some militants had ARs

was it like military drills or something?
>>
I work a datacenter similar in size (maybe a bit bigger) to this one for a car manufacturer.
First, it's unlikely that the place is full of servers or it's just very bad capacity planning.
The customer behavior analytics application are just a small part of our servers. There are tons of other applications and servers needed for logistic, providers, tools for engineer, project management, banking, testing, ...
That's without even considering replication for disaster recovery. I would not be surprised if walmart had another one like this 100 miles or so away.
>>
>>58909254
>no helipad
Can't even take it seriously
>>
>>58909282
I did a school project on Walmart's data analysis. and I found, through the county it was built in, specs on their backup generators.
It actually wasn't much at all. I don't remember the number, but something like 10kw.
>>
>>58914282
Nigga, that wouldn't even handle a single decked out rack.
>>
>>58914282
No wonder they didn't bother with solar panels.
>>
Loyalty cards are agreement to be botted
>>
>>58910569
>what is security camera footage and facial recognition
>>
>>58914395
My bad, 10kw per generator, there were 4

Just look it up, it too hard to find unless they changed it
>>
Why is /g/ full of fucking retarded that don't even know what a botnet is?
>>
>>58914491
More like you're the retard that doesn't understand the difference between /g/'s definition of botnet and the traditional definition.
>>
>>58910693
>tfw Parkisons helps me not be tracked
>>
>>58914474
There's still no way any significant shit's getting done under 100kw.
That must just be for the core of the core, cash register backend and backup security cam dumper
>>
>>58914463
I'm going to need actual evidence of that before believing it.
>>
>>58910693
>tfw you are me and part of the net now
>>
>>58913739
Except acceleration is measured by m2 you idiot
>>
>>58914547
>>58914474
>>58914282
I went back and found my notes.
In 2012, it had 8 diesel generators, 275gal each. Couldn't find my details on it, but I did find something interesting.

I don't know where I got this number, but back then I estimated it at 460TB of data stored.
>>
>>58911688
You act fucking gay.

Just sayin'
>>
>>58914788
I believe you on the generators, so how did you work 460TB out?
Max number of drives they could have spun up at any time? Either they don't bother with detailed customer data and security cam feeds are done separately or they just keep tiny amounts of telemetry.
>>
>>58914855
Don't remember, 2012 was too long ago.

I did find this thought.

https://dnr.mo.gov/env/apcp/permits/docs/walmart-pineville2011op.pdf
>>
>>58909254

You know it could be that their DC is very large because they maintain critical infrastructure for a world-wide retail footprint of 5000 stores. This is secure POS, warehousing, security, payment switching, etc.

You don't need a botnet to sell how Walmart and Cosco sell...it's as easy as:

1.) Be big enough to influence cost of goods sold from their suppliers.
2.) Sell at low prices.
3.) Sell lots of quantity.

There's some fancy stuff that they do with big data analytics (see case studies on when they stock Poptarts before bad weather events) but it's pretty much the same thing you do when you have a customer loyalty card.
>>
>>58914926

The difference being that unlike with customer "loyalty" cards their collected data is truly anonymized. You have an idea of what you're selling and how much you're selling, but you can't tie it to an individual unless they're stupid enough to pay with a card or a check.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.