[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to ditch Windows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: windows_doing_some_weird_things.png (33KB, 587x433px) Image search: [Google]
windows_doing_some_weird_things.png
33KB, 587x433px
Does GNU plus Linux do this too? Arch, for example? I'm so tired of all the weird and useless stuff happening under the hood with MS Windows.

I'd really like to switch over completely. I don't depend on Windows-only software that much anymore.
>>
>>58908128
>Does GNU plus Linux do this too?
I dont understand what i'm suppsed to see.

is this another no thumbnail bait thread ?
>>
>>58908178
>>58908178
There's some kinds of hidden, "protected" folders that contain random images uploaded from my phone. Not all of them, just a few.
>>
Are you mentally retarded or just a fucking idiot?
>>
>>58908203
Pretty sure that's a windows only feature.
Contrary to what /g/ might say i would recommend opensuse & kde
>>
>>58908220
Just a fucking idiot. But I want to improve, man.
>>
if your complain is about those cached photos, then no it won't happen under linux

if your complain is about hidden and unprotected folders then oh boy oh boy
>>
>>58908274
Unless you're running multimonitor on an nvidia card. Trust me, plasma isn't worth the fucking hassle of having to debug your monitor setup almost weekly.
>>
>>58908424
Yeah. Despite what you hear on /g/ Gnome actually isn't bad.
>>
>>58908368
It's the caching that bothers me. I'm not an autist, but I don't like huge piles of crap piling up, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>58908128
That's your Internet cache. Specifically Internet Explorer's, but it's used by everything else in Windows too.

If it bothers you that much, disable the cache in Internet Explorer's settings. Or run CCleaner.
>>
>dark background light text

into the motherfucking garbage
you nig/g/ers never fail to DISGUST me
>>
>>58908638
autism much
>>
>>58908203
anon... that's internet explorer's cache
most browsers cache stuff, it's not a windows thing
>>
>>58908738
I DON'T EVEN HAVE IE INSTALLED I USED TAKE OWNERSHIP AND DELETED EVERY FUCKING FILE EXCEPT THE ONES THAT ARE ALWAYS BEING USED BY PROCESSES AND SHIT. And I never opened most of those images in a web browser, for fuck sake.
>>
>>58908780
the IE engine is used by lots of things in windows
>>
>>58908832
It can suck my dick, even though it's average. Now, I'll ask you. I have a multi-monitor setup and a very, very good audio system. What flavor of GNU/Linux would be the best for me? I'm still looking for complexity and minimality. e.g. no *buntu.
>>
>>58908913
the only good answer is to read up and try a few yourself, i could tell you what i use, but that doesn't mean much since you're not me
the difference between desktop distros isn't significant if you plan on tweaking things, since they're mostly just different configurations of the same software anyway
compare package managers, repositories, and philosophies, not the way they look out of the box
>>
>>58908936
I like Arch linux but I only have it on my lappy. I don't know how it'd handle multimon.
>>
>>58909112
multiple monitor handling is entirely up to X/wayland and your WM/DE, no difference between distros unless you only compare default configurations
>>
>>58909136
I use i3 on the laptop and I heard that's a good one for multimon. Also, GNU + Linux sucks shits, however it is uncomparably better than MicroSoft and Apple Mac. Steve Jobs was a genius.
>>
>>58908524
No I don't know what you mean. Elaborate.
>>
>>58908128
Just go for some ubuntu based distro like ubuntu gnome ,kubuntu, ubuntu mate(which is really nice),xubuntu and others
>>
File: beachbutts.jpg (120KB, 1024x915px) Image search: [Google]
beachbutts.jpg
120KB, 1024x915px
>>58908128
I'm on a Linux Mint 18 external USB hard drive as I type this. It's my second Mint install. My first one is acting funny, almost as bad as windoze, but I think it may be due to a faulty hard drive. I really like Mint and would like to make it my daily driver and ditch windoze forever, I fucking hate it!

Anyone else having stability issues on Mint 18 Cinnamon?
>>
>>58908424

Arch + KDE user here

I've been using a multi monitor setup going on 2 years now and other than mysteriously losing the wallpaper and widget config for my 2nd monitor _once_ in that period, I've not had any recurring issues.
>>
>>58908128
>using IE
>>
>>58908128
Arch fucking sucks. Install Lubuntu
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.