[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shitty liberal indoctrination station

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1449449616550.gif (995KB, 257x194px) Image search: [Google]
1449449616550.gif
995KB, 257x194px
Hey /g/, I'm in my first year of college and wanted to ask your opinions on a few things.

Would it be a good idea to start to major in Computer Science now? What about compared to Computer Engineering?

If so, would a master's be worth the time/effort/money, or should one stick with only achieving a bachelor's?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>58905741
Fuck it,take some chill time and learn from the internet or books,better than college.

Don't know about you guys,classes here in India are shit and are far from fucking reality,I have learn from the internet to survive.
>>
>>58905769
I live in the great USA.
I've heard that getting a degree isn't worth much compared to having a portfolio with projects you've worked on through knowledge gained through online learning on your own, but I'm not sure how much of a meme this is.
>>
What's your current major? Do you have exceptional math skills? Are you going to a tier 1 school? What job do you want to have when you graduate?
>>
>>58905792
My current major is computer science, but I've only taken general education classes so far.
My math skills are alright, I've been a C student through high school, going up to pre calc, but I hardly put in any effort or paid much attention.
I'm not sure what job I want, I'm really only going after money.
>>
>>58905787
This.
If you are smart and extremely self motivated, go with engineering and learn the cs along side it by yourself. Build up a portfolio n such.

If you arent that good and youre lazy, just go with cs
>>
>>58905741
>compsci vs. compeng
Either way you'll be a peasant. Unless you think you'll enjoy competing with literally a billion pajeets, don't do it. Major in Business or Accountancy.

If you absolutely must major in one of those, then I'd recommend you attend one of the unis in the Newman Guide or another ultra-conservative institution like Wheaton College in IL in order to avoid indoctrination.

>gradschool
Don't. Your time is better spent getting certifications. The exception to that is a JD, that is totally worth it.
>>
>>58905949
Shit, I'm a lazy nigger most of the time.
Maybe I will change.
>>
>>58905973
I've been thinking about majoring in accounting, seems like a good deal.

What do you think about aerospace engineering?
>>
>>58905987
>any engineering
Good luck competing with two billion chinks.

I'm serious when I tell you to move away from STEM. Unless you go to law school after that, you will be a pleb and will never be really rich.

Accounting, business and finance are solid professional choices. You can learn all the computer stuff you're passionate about on your off time, you don't depend on fucking professors to teach you. Don't ruin your passion by turning it into a profession.
>>
>>58905949
shit's the other way around if you go to a school worth a shit
>being a hardware monkey in the post moore's law age
>>
>>58906011
I'm glad I'm being told to go into business by a few of you.
My passion seems to lie in dressing professional and making money, which is what business seems to depend on.
I enjoy programming, but I don't want to make it a profession, and only thought about doing so since I've been told it is a good field with "many opportunities".
>>
>>58905973
Holy shit OP don't listen to this idiot. None of the accounting majors who graduated with me have jobs/good jobs. Just get the fucking CS degree and make sure you either are working on your portfolio on the side or building relationships through internships and whatnot. Accounting and business are flooded Jon markets. Trust me you will be living in your parents basement if you choose one.
>>
>>58906058
God dammit.

Master's or bachelor's? Or associate's?
>>
>>58906081
Associates WILL work but a bachelors will be much better in the end and open up more opportunities to you. DESU, and this goes for any major, it's about knowing people in the field. Get a part time job where you rub elbows with upper-middle class people. They will set your ass up, if they like you. After you have a job they might even pay for your masters/any certs you might want.
>>
>>58905741
>would it be a good idea to major in CS now?
It depends on your fiscal circumstances and how much time you're willing to spend in school.
If you go to a community college, knock out your worthless Gen. Ed. requirements, it's cheaper but you waste a lot of time, because business and STEM majors have a lot of classes that double-count for the major, and some classes you take at the community college might not roll over to the university.

As I mentioned earlier, going straight to uni to major in CS takes less time, but costs more, overall due to double-counting classes.
It's entirely possible to take summer and winter break to go to CC and knock out cheapo G.E.s, but why would you do that to yourself?
You'd be dying on the inside by your second year.

A masters degree in CS is definitely worth it. Would I pay for my own masters degree? Fuck no. I'd go into industry and get them to pay for my masters.
Think about it this way: If you are majoring in CS, you don't want to be a shitty web developer, app developer, or regular joe software engineer. Those guys get replaced by Indians with H1B visas on a dime.
You want to take all the hard mathy classes and get a career in security or data science. If you're that kind of person, your workplace environment is going to be FILLED with people that have masters degrees. You're going to be the odd one out.
>>
>>58906306
Nothing but truth here. My exact experience.
>>
>>58906159
>>58906306
>>58906372
So it would be a good idea to major in CS, get a bachelor's while working part time, get into the industry, and hopefully have them pay for any further education?

Why is computer engineering not a better choice?
>>
On a side note, I live in an area with aerospace engineering companies around (Mojave, California).
Is this a field I should go in just for this reason?
>>
>>58906081
This >>58906058 nigga is trolling you "feminine penis" style. STEM is flooded with literally billions of third-worlders. AFAIK, there aren't two billion accountants out there. Become a CPA and you'll never regret it. Trust me, I work for one of the Big Four.
>>
>>58905741
You should make the most of your early twenties and study gender studies and start rolling in the pussy

Math can always come later
>>
>>58905973
this guy is a fucking moron
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.