[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vim is fucking weird

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: tmp.png (1KB, 91x91px) Image search: [Google]
tmp.png
1KB, 91x91px
Hi /g/, or to be precise, people who seriously use vim as their default code editor.
Can you tell me which commands do you really use and how often?
Tutorials say that i should move around and delete symbols only in normal mode, and not with the arrow keys and BS in insert mode.
It's fucking weird and i'm losing my enthusiasm. Unconvince me.
>>
File: 636047216650179363-photo.jpg (7KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
636047216650179363-photo.jpg
7KB, 320x240px
I reacted the same way to vim until I witnessed someone proficient at it and it blew my mind. The learning curve is tough to overcome if you read instructions and try to memorize the keys but I learned rally fast with vim-adventures.com which is a game which slowly teaches you vim as you figure out puzzles and "earn" more keys. Once I beat that game (not easy but really fun and challenging actually) I became super fast, now I love vim.

I haven't gotten into plugins or macros yet but, seriously I jerked around with practical vim and practice with little improvement until I found that game. It's $25 for 6 months, fairly new, totally worth it! I am not a shill and when I got stuck I found a walkthrough on YouTube for it in Japanese which displays keystrokes but the walkthrough only goes halfway through but gets you into understanding clues in the game. It's a huge game and very challenging in a good way. you can tell the developer put a ton of time into it despite initial appearances. You can play the first level free.

It's fuckin awesome
>>
>>58896619
>i'm losing my enthusiasm.
Then stop using it.

It is a pain in the ass, especially if you have windows shortcuts in muscle memory. I started using vim years ago because I was using really shitty hardware (think 256MB RAM). Vim was perfect except for the fact I was slow as hell using it. Especially having to refer to my flashcards every few minutes. But eventually I memorized the commands I used the most. I "upgraded" my hardware not too long ago. One computer has 512MB and another has 1.5GB or RAM. I'm using gvim now.

Don't use it if you don't like it. There are a ton of editors out there.

>Can you tell me which commands do you really use and how often?
I could tell you but how does that help you? Use what you need to use. Write the commands you use often down on a flashcard or paper. I think almost all of the common ones are covered in 'vimtutor'.

>not with the arrow keys and BS in insert mode.
With gvim I use arrowkeys all the time (and BS).

>Unconvince me
It is stupid to do something because /g/ told you to do it. That includes my post.

If you don't like vim then don't use it. There are a lot of decent text editors out there. Notepad++(windows), TextWrangler(Mac), Gedit (Linux). Those are just some examples, like I said, there are several good one. If you have a reason for learning vim, then you just need to practice using it every day. There are no shortcuts.

Good luck.
>>
Try using it daily. If you get lost, google the keybindings and eventually you will see how fast you can actually edit texts.. Emacs is another great alternative.
>>
For development, I prefer IDEs, but for config files. (Remote machines also), vim helps a lot.
>>
>>58896700
This anon speaks the truth.

>>58896729
This anon has no idea what he's talking about, he's probably mentally challenged.

>>58896738
That won't help if he has no clue about how modal editing works and that they are not "commands" or "key bindings" but it's actually a language to fluently work with text.
>>
>>58896619
>which commands do you really use and how often?
:q
:q!
:w (sometimes, I have an autosave plugin)

v
s/
:line_number
$
i
x
ce
r
That's about it
>>
>>58896619
To answer your question I use 'd' a lot to delete+copy a line. v with hjkl to highlight then y to copy or "yank" p to paste. I use :### to skip to a line in a config file.

type ":se nu" which gets you numbers on the left
:!ls to list files in current directory, install "ranger" and use ":!ranger" sometimes..

I like to use "f" then a letter to skip to that letter "F" dies it backwards..

"/” for search, type in word then "n" for next instance "N" for previous.... I could go forever
>>
>>58896619
Also you really need nothing more than what it is mentioned in $vimtutor

As you keep using vim you will find your favourite special command
>>
Senpai, my brother is a fucking arts major taking a cs option and even he can manage vim. All I showed him was dd, yy, p, i, and :wq which is plenty for basic python shit.
>>
File: christopher_hitchens.jpg (42KB, 307x409px) Image search: [Google]
christopher_hitchens.jpg
42KB, 307x409px
>>58896619
The thing I found interesting and true about vim other than the fact that you become faster than IDE users is how you learn by taking one step forward (learning hjkl with i to insert text) then a step backwards (abandon using hjkl and stay in normal mode) then 3 steps forward with keybindings rendering hjkl unnecessary!

I can tell why people are obsessed with vim now. vim-adventures.com seriously, I hate memorizing and you sound like you do too
>>
>>58896759
>This anon has no idea what he's talking about
I have been using vim/gvim for the past 5 years, I can certainly offer my opinion. There is no *need* to learn vim unless:
1) You need to access files remotely through a terminal.

2) Your hardware is complete shit.

3) You want /g/ cred (Emacs would work here as well).

Everyone has their own preferences. Some folks prefer vim, others emacs, other prefer more traditional TEs. There is not right or wrong answer (in general).

Unless there is a specific reason the OP wants to learn vim (like for /g/ cred), there are plenty of other good options.

>he's probably mentally challenged.
I have been using vim/gvim for the past 5 years, so that should be implied.
>>
>>58896619
rebind escape-out-of-insert to jk or some other combination that you'll rarely type in insert mode. using escape defies the point of vim, namely that you can stay on the homerow or close to it most of the time.
if you don't like hjkl, rebind the movement keys to esdf for an arrow-keys/shooter like control scheme.
Consider a different keyboard layout. I adnw, which has almost all frequently used non-alphanumeric characters such as <>=:()%'[_]#|~ on the three main rows with a special layer.

i mainly navigate with the standard up-down-left-right movement keys, w, W, { and } (word and paragraph wise movement). I have a plugin installed for highlighting letters for <f> type movement, but I still don't use that way of doing things (which I should).
>>
use nano
>>
>>58896619
Also now when I see people using an IDE and reach for the mouse I cringe.
>>
Thanks for the advices. I'm really into "IDEs are slow" ideology and the idea of powerful console editor itself is really kool, but i guess i'll just need some time to understand all this shit.
>>
use vim for editing text files. It fucks me off that on some distros it is not the default editor, but fucking nano is. fucking gives me the rage.

Most commands I use

:w
:q
>>
>>58896700
or stop being a retard and use visual studio you fucking fag.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.