[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ghg/ Getting Hired General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: GHG.jpg (57KB, 621x414px) Image search: [Google]
GHG.jpg
57KB, 621x414px
Getting Hired or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pajeet.

/ghg/ is a place for all questions about getting hired in the industry and for seasoned pro/g/ramers to give advice on what employers expect from from new blood. Such as what your git should look like and what you should know going into an interview.
>>
Does CGPA really matters if your looking for a decent job? What if you're really skilled in programming but, your CGPA is low, say 2.2
>>
>>58885699
What am I expected to know as "general" knowledge other than my basic searches and sorts? I understand being able to answer logic questions, but what does every company like to see in a programmer's portfolio?
>>
What are the languages everyone should know?
>>
>>58886609
Python, that shit is useful and it's everywhere.
>>
>>58885699
What a good QA web tester must know?
>>
>>58886181
Finished projects. Anything that works even if it's obviously derivative but has your input in it. Bonus points if it's got network shit in it.
>>
How do much programming should I know before I begin applying to entry level jobs?

I don't necessarily want to be a 100% full on programmer, but rather something analytical that uses a bit of programming. Unfortunately, the more I try programming the more I'm realizing that I'm just absolute shit. It seems like even the basic into things are confusing as hell to me, and I'm not "getting it" like others. So this discourages me from trying more, cause if I can't do this now how the hell am I gonna do more complex shit, under a deadline? Can anyone really program, or does it take a certain type of mind? I want to be in tech (I live in silicon valley) but I feel like I'll never make it.

I have a B.S. in Stats, a B.A. in Econ, and a Masters in Business Analytics if that matters at all.
>>
>>58887053
I've been working as a C++ dev for 5 months now. While pretty much anyone can learn to code, most people can't do it efficiently. Hell, I'm one of them, but so far I haven't been confronted on that. I guess you can be subpar but you'll still have a place in that world because there's so much work.

On top of that, not everyone can be a programmer because of how hard and unrewarding this soul crushing job can get at times. Writing code is the fun and relaxing part. If you can handle hours of staring into someone else's shitty mess of a code and decyphering it, spending days on debbuging or learning some concept you have to implement, letting your work take over your life and you're not afraid of asking questions, then it's a job for you. In my company we have data analysts who work mostly with SQL and Excel, so you might want to get a good grip on those first. Either that, or just go make some projects for you portfolio that you'd have fun doing. One thing I regret is not looking for work earlier, now everyone my age has 2 years of experience and there's a HUGE fucking knowledge gap there. You'd think 2 years isn't that much, but when you do it 8 hours a day 5 days a week you absorb so much information even 2 months can get you ahead.
>>
>>58887053
Anyone can its just a hassle to gain algo intuition. I couldnt do anything a year and a half ago but now i can do most interview problems. Im a very average guy too and not very hard working
>>
>>58887242
What are examples of portfolio projects? I guess I have a hard time differentiating between something "impressive" or "basic". If I create a python script that downloads all the pictures off a public Instagram profile, is that impressive? Or will someone look at that and think "Wow, it's absolutely nothing".

Thank you and >>58887468
for your replies.
>>
Good thread, friendly bump
>>
>>58886609
Java OR C++/C OR C# OR webdev "languages".
>>
>>58887784
Something complex with a GUI (pronounced gooey) like an app or a game
>>
>>58887784
I'd say if it's more than like 50 lines of code it's worth putting on github. You know, so that it shows effort and it doesn't look like it took you 5 minutes to make it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.