[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to break Ubuntu 16.04.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: ubuntu-broken-470x260.jpg (29KB, 470x260px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-broken-470x260.jpg
29KB, 470x260px
If you puge Python from Ubuntu 16.04 it breaks it.

It breaks it so hard that Enable Networking in rescue mode doesn't work, so you can't fix it.

Posting from fresh install.
>>
>do stupid thing due to crippling autismo
>shit breaks
>complain on a vietnamese foot fetish imageboard
pls terminate yourself
>>
It just werks until you decide to delete shit.

It is not advised to install ubuntu without knowing what you want, because it includes a bunch of shit you might not need and when you remove it you have a bunch of dependencies floating around that you have to manually install or remove (don't you try autoremove, or you might accidentally fucking remove the unity control panel by mistake).

It's much better to get something like xubuntu core, no bullshit, just the desktop and what's necessary. I'm one of those people who do -not- like LibreOffice and now that shit gets bundled everywhere, for fucks sake.
>>
>meme/lunix
Not even once.
>>
File: 1450710216584.jpg (38KB, 389x597px) Image search: [Google]
1450710216584.jpg
38KB, 389x597px
>>58881579
> python breaks Linux
> everyone complains about systemd
> python is the new systemd
>>
>>58881579
What exactly have you done?

Did you use a packet manger (like a person who has more then 5 min experience with linux) and it removed python without warning about anything?
Or did you simply deleted it from /usr/bin?

In the first case you can blame ubuntu, in the second case buy a rope and hang yourself with it.
>>
>>58881579
I did that once, OP.

I was trying to update to then current 3.5 from 2.7.

Wasn't happening, shifted some things around, boom, broken python dependencies.

Everything breaks.

Thankfully, I am slightly less of an idiot now because of that fuck up. I hope that this was an alchemical transformation over the fire of your own retardation, OP.
>>
>>58881711
Not him, but if you remove a big component (such as a program included, let's say thunderbird) it keeps around dependencies and lists them so you can choose to autoremove them. Problem is if you do that, you remove other packages that are actually necessary. And if you don't (just manually install them) you keep some garbage around too than you don't need, because there doesn't seem to be a distinction.
>>
>apt autoremove
>it wants to remove fucking Xorg
>>
>>58881857
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>
Is there any distro which doesn't have to deal with this nonsense?

Install some shit, remove it and have no issues afterwards because you try to clean the system a bit but it ends up breaking everything?
>>
>>58881900
Fedora. No, seriously, dnf is really good at avoiding these scenarios. And, unlike Ubuntu, it also survives version upgrades perfectly fine.
>>
>>58882046
Perhaps I should try it again. Last time I used fedora, dnf looked "cleaner" than apt/apt-get. I will try.
>>
>>58881830
I'm so glad I don't use ubuntu. DNF will automatically check dependencies and remove ones that were only needed by what you just told it to remove.
>>
>>58881900
If you remove something which is a dependency you will run in to problems with any distro which uses a package manager.
>>
>>58881900
Fedora my man
>>
>>58883003
Why would Python be a dependency for most of the OS? That's as retarded as making Java a hard dependency.
>>
>>58881655
Don't say this.
Now Lennart is going to rewrite his init system in Python.
>>
>>58883003
That's more common knowledge, the problem is the way it's handled there. When you remove a program on apt, you don't remove any dependency but they are set so you can autoremove them. There's nothing that can check if those dependencies are necessary for something other (or even if some of those are actual applications) so your options are to:

1. Manually install whichever ones you need, knowing which ones are necessary which in some cases when there's over 30 packages it's a fucking mess
2. Manually install every package in that list of "now not so needed dependencies" on autoremove, with the consequence that you have a lot of shit you might not need
3. Clean them all and install again those programs which you just happen to notice aren't working anymore

It would be more ideal if you were able to uninstall some stock program (Firefox, thunderbird, whatever you choose that's not necessary for Unity to function) in a way that it uninstalls -only- the dependencies that this specific program needed, rather than more shit or almost nothing at all.
>>
Jesus fucking Christ how can people be ok using a packet manager so shit?
>>
>>58881900

You're an idiot.
That's like buying a finished house and then complaining when it collapses after you remove the foundation. Kill yourself.
>>
>>58881579
>I have no idea what I'm doing.
>Let's blame others for my incompetence.

Wintoddlers should never have root desu.
>>
>>58881900
>clean the system
You're as moronic as someone deleting their system32 folder in order to 'clean their system'. You're an idiot, you should get an iPad.
>>
>>58881579
>hurrdurr I uninstall critical component
>hurrdurr why does me stuff break
Next time make a thread where you do the same with system32 on windows.
>>
Try Removing C from Windows and see if the Networking still works
>>
Speaking of breaking Ubuntu, will everything die if I try removing GRUB? I don't dual boot yet for some reason I got GRUB during installation.
>>
You're a fucking retard, case dismissed.
>>
>>58883298
Kek yes
Honestly other then super basic things like Thunderbird everything will break by removing the defaults installed
>>
>>58881579
Does this apply to 16.04.2
>>
>>58883298
The ubuntu install won't break, but you need GRUB to boot into it. If you don't care about grub showing a stupid menu, you can actually configure it to boot the default selection immediately.
>>
>>58883340
Oh well. Everything works just fine so I guess I can't complain.
>>
>>58883357
That works for me. I'll go look it up, thanks.
>>
>>58883340
This is what wintoddlers actually believe.
>>
File: 1481541184428.png (316KB, 425x450px) Image search: [Google]
1481541184428.png
316KB, 425x450px
>remove steering wheel from car
>car stops working, can't even drive to the mechanic

From now on I'm gonna ride my horse
>>
>>58881579
Shocking discovery.
Java applications break if you remove the jvm.
Python applications break if you remove python.
C# applications break if you remove mono.
C/C++ applications break if you remove dependencies.
It is not rocket science.
If you don't know what part of a system you rip out, you might break stuff.

Things that you can complain about:
Updating to a new version which breaks backwards compatibility to your old config.
Updating to a null version which then deletes the application without informing you.
Installing graphics drivers from a GUI.

stuff like that is something you could be upset about.

But purging a package without knowing what it does and why it was there is not a good excuse.
clearly they could have marked more thing as a dependency to warn / stop you, but if you want, you can do stupid things.
>>
>>58883243
>>58883216
I am sorry, I should have considered there'd be people with down syndrome around and I would have to explain these things.

So you understand it like this

>That's like buying a finished house and then complaining when it collapses after you remove the foundation.

But what I meant was, there are components -not- necessary for the system to work, not even for the desktop environment to work with all its basic components (settings panel, theming and even the file manager included) that you want to remove, so your options are to remove very few, if none of the dependencies, or remove the ones that are important for the correct functioning of the system.

This is not like removing the foundations. This is removing the couch only to find out that the Wall behind it was being supported by the fucking couch and not the opposite way, you stupid wankers.
>>
>>58883461
>there are components -not- necessary for the system to work
>the wall was being supported by the couch

Sounds like the couch was -indeed- necessary for the wall to work.

The premise of why you're an idiot is not that you found the situation surprising or distasteful. It's that you whine as if you don't understand the reality of it. Yes, the couch supports the wall. That isn't what you might have expected and it might seem like awful construction to you, but at least the rest of us recognize the load-bearing couch and don't post about the obvious.
>>
>>58883461

>removing a part of the system that is invisible unless you actually use it

I don't think you should be talking about autism here...
>>
>>58883428
>remove head from horse
>horse stops working, can't even ride to the vet
From now on I'm gonna walk.
>>
>>58883461
>Not understanding dependencies
>Calling others autistic

Ok kiddo, maybe you should ask your wife's boyfriend for advice.
>>
>>58883517
And I'm trying to find a distribution where that does not happen, is it that much of a problem?

I can understand that removing Python is a moronic thing, but let's bring it to normal applications. When multiple office suites, multiple browsers, file managers and so on exist, why should someone -have- to keep them around because otherwise a more "core" component of the system is going to be removed with it otherwise?

What if I wanted Ubuntu with OpenOffice [instead] of LibreOffice? What if I wanted Evolution [Instead] of Thunderbird? Chromium [instead] of Firefox? After removing these you have a shitload of dependencies that you just happen to have to know what are for and clean manually, or leave there if you want a stable system. Fuck it reminds me of IE on Windows and how much fuckery is involved on removing it.
>>
>>58883612
this is a problem with apt, it's fucking garbage
use arch, pacman doesn't have this problem
>>
>>58883612
>What if I wanted Ubuntu with OpenOffice [instead] of LibreOffice? What if I wanted Evolution [Instead] of Thunderbird? Chromium [instead] of Firefox?

Literally 0 of these are a problem. How dumb are you exactly? Have you ever been diagnosed?
>>
>>58883638
I know, that's the thing. Pacman works fairly well.
>>
>>58883660
Hey I know, I'll be more intelligent and enjoy finding a way around a broken system. Talk about autism.
>>
>>58883704
You could just not be an idiot and not break your system. Don't try things without understanding what you're doing. It's really fairly basic.
>>
>>58883070
Because some components are written in Python retard.

>That's as retarded as making Java a hard dependency.
Not really. Python is a scripting language widely used in system administration.
>>
>>58883612
Pretty sure you can remove LibreOffice, Thunderbird and Firefox without issues on Ubuntu or Debian. Also these programs are not comparable to removing fucking Python, which even comes with the minimal install.
>>
>>58881900
Gentoo.
`emerge --depclean`
>>
>>58881591
Forgot to add "with extreme prejudice".
>>
>>58881711
>packet manger
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.