[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So guys, I am looking at some storage solutions for my new PC.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 22-236-971-V01.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
22-236-971-V01.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
So guys, I am looking at some storage solutions for my new PC.

Right now I currently have a 1tb SSD that is gonna be my main boot drive / main gaming and reaction image drive.

And I'm looking to get a 5tb WD black for general storage.

My question is simple. What is the best cost effective solution for backups?

Is it worth it to get two 5tb drives and raid 1 them? Is it worth it to get a smaller drive and somehow back shit up in that? Or an external backup drive?

How do you guys handle your data backup, I do a lot of projects so backup would be important, I've never done backup before and I've been lucky not to have drive failure yet, this time I want to be more prepared if it does happen.
>>
>>58874040
You don't have anything worth backing up.
>>
>>58874040
>Or an external backup drive

The answer to that is almost always yes. You're not just guarding against drive failure, but also against literal emergencies - fires, etc.
>>
>>58874040
Use cloud if you "seriously" have to back up something. Otherwise just get as big an SSD as you can.
>>
The question is how much do you care?

Are you a defense contractor backing things onto tapes everyday and storing them offsite?

Do you just buy some Seagate external drives, drag and drop and call it a day?

You have to decide what you want to spend, how much work you want to do, and how much you really value your data.

Personally, I have a Samba server with HGST enterprise drives in RAID 1. This is a middle of the road solution, and pretty secure. I also have it automated, so I don't have to think about it.

People burn data to blue-ray discs, which can be good if you're mainly backing up documents, which is often the most important things we have anyways.
>>
>>58874136

Well I have a 1tb SSD but 1tb doesn't go very far these days and I don't feel like spending a few thousand dollars for more space.

5tb WD blacks are pretty cheap right now, seems like a good solution to store my movies, music, and video projects in.

>>58874105
B-but I have all my projects and pictures :(
>>
>>58874040
>Right now I currently have a 1tb SSD that is gonna be my main boot drive / main gaming
Ok.
>and reaction image drive.
Why?
Just get wd caviar blue or an hgst ultrastar. Wd black is loud and costs more than blue for no real reason. Back up things you can't afford to lose, not things you can download again if need be.
>>
File: rip nvidia.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rip nvidia.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
the most cost effective solution is the 3TB "refurb" HGST drives Newegg sells. I know most of the autists on here think I'm crazy but for 65 bucks you get quite possibly the best enterprise class drive on the market.

WD black 5TB is $220.

HGST 3TB is $65 refurb, $120 new

Recently I bought a 3 TB Seagate made November 2016 in Thailand and will be doing a long term comparison with the used HGST I bought from Newegg. The Seagate was $100 from Best Buy and the read/writes are better than the HGST but not by much.

Lastly, I really don't have any critical data. I have a few years worth of photo's/RAW from my photography days but all that shit is in so many places I don't worry about it. Ten years ago I would have told you guys I had 'critical data' that absolutely had to be "backed up in 3-4 different physical places".

The older I get the less fucks I give.

/blog post

tl;dr: RAID some cheap $65 HGST 3TB used drives.
>>
>>58874556

Oh and the HGST had some thing like 16,000 hours and only 15 power cycles which is pretty awesome compared to some desktop drive that has 1000 power cycles and less hours.
>>
I got my music on 4 4tb Seagate external HDDs, how bad did I fuck up?
>>
>>58874556

edit: the ultrastar's are 250 new, the 120 new was me looking at the deskstar variant.

>>58874626

you'll be fine.
>>
>>58874626
The 1 and even number seagate drives are fine. It was their batch of 3tb drives in 2012-2013 that were utter shit with ~47% failure rates. If you bought it within the last year or two you didn't fuck up, you just bought the cheapest option.
>>
>>58874696

all the bad 3TB seagates are looooong since recycled and the issues were addressed.

however if you look at the sheer amount of those drives backblaze surveyed it's impressive how much of the market seagate controlled.

seagate has tried to move on by renaming their consumer drives THREE times now. from constellation, to just 'desktop', to now the rebrand of barracuda, skyhawk, and ironwolf.

in short, the seagate is bad meme is long gone.

WD is simply overpriced, unless you're settling for a 5400 rip'em drive, which you shouldn't be doing.
>>
Is there any reason not to just stack 3tb wd blues? I know little to nothing about the various tiers of HDDs but as far as storage per dollar goes they seem like the best bang for your buck.
>>
>>58874965

blue's are shit tier 5400 rpm drives.

>go to newegg
>select drive size
>click box by 7200 rpm
>notice no WD Blueshits

7200 RPM has been a standard for spinning drives since forever now, there's no excuse for still buying a 5400 rpm drive. this is where seagate has a hold over WD as you can get a 7200 rpm drive for less than a WD 5400 rpm drive.
>>
>>58875038
Fuck I'm retarded
Thanks
>>
File: marissamayeragent.jpg (407KB, 1500x2249px) Image search: [Google]
marissamayeragent.jpg
407KB, 1500x2249px
>>58874040
RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

For programming projects I use git & gitlab.

For everything else, incremental backups on 2 separate drives which are rotated between offsite and my machine.

3-2-1 rule and you're good.
>>
>>58875038
They make 7.2k drives also
>>58875089
yes, you are
>>
>>58876302

no shit? how new are you to hard drives?

WD makes you pay more money to get a 7200 rpm drive and it's bullshit.

fuck why are you even on /g/ this is /v/ tier shit.
>>
>>58876439
Not him but don't their 1tb HDDs come in 7.2k as the norm? And they're like $40

still shitty, but a relatively ok price
>>
>>58876493

you have to do your homework as neither seagate or wd print their rpm on the boxes anymore, which is total and complete horse shit.
>>
>>58876439
Eat shit and die.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16822235014
>>
>>58876530

this is the second time today your edgy faggot ass has been mad about something i've posted, saying some gay shit like eat shit and die.

look at that, you found the only 7200 rpm blue label drive in existance. meanwhile the rest of the blue drives are 5400 rpm.

WD realized they were retarded for offering a good value for the money so they made sure the rest of the blue line was 5400 rpm.

as for eating shit, sorry, i'm enjoying some chick fil-a tendies with the buffalo sauce.
>>
>>58874105
btfo
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.