[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Broken Nvidia GTX 1080 FE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 1

File: WIN_20170209_19_00_21_Pro (2).jpg (170KB, 748x632px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170209_19_00_21_Pro (2).jpg
170KB, 748x632px
i currently have a broken GTX 1080 in my hands and i wonder what i should do with it, i got it from my friend today for $50 and i thought it would be a good deal(i knew it was broken).
all i wanna know is if its worth it trying to fix it or if i should sell it as defective on ebay or something.

the problem with the card is that my computer wont boot with it installed (my friend's computer wouldn't either). however, the computer boots if the card isnt recievig power.
i already have a 1080 and that operates just fine so its not a limitation on the powersupply side and all bios and drivers are up to date.

TL;DR I have a broken graphics card, gib advice

thank you.
>>
>>58870264
Install Gentoo on it.
>>
>>58870264
Open it, kid
>>
>I paid $50 for trash
advice is to seek martyrdom
>>
>>58870264
Reballing if the GPU is roasted
>>
>>58870276
i did, everything looks fine. i replaced the thermal paste and blew out some dust
>>
>>58870264
>>>/v/
>>
>>58870307
>question about hardware
>/v/
>>
>>58870264
>buy replacement 1080 from Amazon
>remove and swap the backplates which is where the serial number sticker is
>return broken one

What's so difficult about this?
>>
Try the oven trick. I've never done it myself but hey maybe it's worth a shot.
>>
>>58870330
>What's so difficult about this?
absolutely nothing, people do it all the time with external HDDs since big warehouse businesses won't even check and they'll just refund you
>>
>>58870330
getting amazon to ship to norway is pretty hard most of the time.
>>
Why not return it?
Should be on warranty, unless it was dropped or something
>>
>>58870352
there was this one guy not too long ago yelling about how that didn't work
>>
Isn't it still under warranty?
>>
>>58870367
>>58870393
apparently there was none
>>
>>58870352
the oven you'll have to throw away afterwards is probably worth more than a gimped card that'll last a few weeks after reballing
>>
>>58870314
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or
personal consumer review site.

Read the sticky before posting, little faggot.
>>
>>58870401
bullshit, all cards have warranty, and flagships usually offer some extended ones or upgrade plans

did your friend steal it? that's the only way it wouldn't.
>>
>>58870423
love you too
>>
>>58870434
i have no clue how he got it, for all i know he may have stolen it from some chinese guy
>>
>>58870362
Use an agent company, dont you have that shit?

I buy stuff on Amazon with free UK delivery, and then a company delivers the items to my shithole country charging me 1$ per kg for the item
>>
>>58870381
>>58870407
I've done this with an old card as last resort before throwing it away, it worked fine again.
Your oven won't be damaged that's bullshit.

My particular card did still boot but with a lot of artifacts. No boot with card powered looks like short circuit.
>>
>>58870451
any recommendation on a specific company?
>>
>>58870468
>Your oven won't be damaged that's bullshit.
It doesn't get damaged you /v/ mongoid, it gets contaminated with the heavy metals on the card's circuitry. Enjoy edible cancer in your food.
>>
>>58870264

RMA it with the manufacturer?
>>
>>58870470
One that delivers to Norway?

Google UK Norway parcel transportation, it's usually local companies that do regular shipments (like once or twice a week they put all the client parcels that they've received in the UK on a truck and send it to their home country)

Takes a week or so, you don't pay import fees unless you're from a cuck country, and it's overall great for purchasing things that are too expensive locally and too valuable to trust a chink copy of it
>>
>>58870362
Amazon have always shipped to me in Sweden, is it really different to Norway? I use Amazon UK.
>>
>>58870330
>>58870362
Do it from a local shop or some other store then.
>>
>>58870519
in my experiences, yes
>>
>>58870468
>Your oven won't be damaged that's bullshit

No, but your fucking insides will when you ingest the contaminents that the process leaves behind. Enjoy the cancer mate.
>>
>>58870511
how will this wok as far as sending it back?
>>
>>58870552
It won't, you wanna get a free fucking 1080 - you gonna shell out as much as it costs to ship it back
>>
>>58870725
i know that but i mean ince i have to use this method to get i to norwa, how will the process be with amazon when trying to return it
>>
>>58870264
>the problem with the card is that my computer wont boot with it installed
Gentoo doesn't have this problem
>>
>>58870768
what if i istall gentoo and this proplem is still there?
>>
>>58870762
You do have a postal service in Norway right? You're gonna send it by post, Amazon won't ask you to use their frigging system as long as you send it to whatever address they specify
>>
>>58870794
well shit if it's that easy i think i'll just do that, thanks anon
>>
RMA
>>
>>58870812
read previous posts
>>
>>58870264
buy another one
send the broken one back saying it was defective and ask for your money back
>>
>>58870976
They dont even check or care.
>>
>>58870976
Any company not run by complete retards will have a record of the serial number and check them against RMAs. Which is why you'd need to swap the backplates. Be careful though, as some cards have an extra serial number sticker on the PCB itself. MSI and Gigabyte both do this.
>>
>>58870976
read
>>58870330
>>58870511
>>58870794
>>
>>58871012
thanks for the tip :)
>>
>>58871012
Amazon doesn't check. I sent back both a broken headset and bluetooth speaker and had no issues.

I bought a brown switch keyboard for 80 and a blue switch keyboard (same model) for 60. I sent in the blue switch model as the brown switch keyboard. Got a refund no problem. I left all of the original stickers and didnt mess with it.
>>
>>58871081
well i dont have a box for the card so i sort of have to order another one anyway, but thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>58871081
Then you got lucky with lazy/retarded staff handling your returns. They're are 100% supposed to catch stuff like that. I know somebody who tried returning a busted Vita that way and got caught based on the serial number not matching up. They have an entire department for dealing with this sort of thing and tracking down where a product came from in this situation.

It's a lottery as to whether the person who gets your return in front of them takes a real good look at it or not. I personally experienced this a while back when I bought a Sapphire 290X Vapor-X from Warehouse Deals. The card was very obviously actually a 290 Vapor-X due to some missing chokes on the back of the card. The previous owner had swapped the backplates and returned his 290. Many of the screws weren't even back in properly. I noticed all this within five seconds of handling the card, yet the returns agent and person who graded it to be sold on Warehouse Deals both missed the obvious signs.

So you might get lucky if you do it the lazy way, but you might not. Personally, I wouldn't risk my Amazon account and the cost involved, especially with an expensive item like this. Which is why you just do it the smart way. Removing a few screws and swapping the backplates is a ten minute job at most. You don't need to take the whole cooler off or anything.
>>
>>58871259
this was the plan, thank you :)
>>
Can confirm I returned a defective 1080 to Amazon (might have been my fault it died) and although they didn't refund until it was at their warehouse I dropped them an email as soon as it was and pajeet refunded me an hour later.
>>
>>58870449

this is exactly what happened.

anyway throw it in the oven, if that doesn't work just sell it on ebay. even a broken 1080 is worth more than you paid for it. might be something simple that a guru can fix.

do some youtube searching first and ask legit forums instead of /g/.
>>
>>58870264
Get a Multimeter and start probing for the bad compenent, find a microsolderer pay him $100-150 and it's fixed, use or sell on ebay as refurb for $450
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.