[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you use xinput to disable a certain input device, does it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: chog2.png (482KB, 879x720px) Image search: [Google]
chog2.png
482KB, 879x720px
If you use xinput to disable a certain input device, does it disable it on a hardware level (completely shut the device off) or does it just stop the OS from communicating with the device?
>>
>>58869809
Stops X from using it. xinput just maps a device to an X session, so you can have multiple devices for multiple sessions. You can unmap devices, but not disable them completely.

I don't really think you can really disable a usb device, stop giving it power. Most, if not all, motherboards just have the 5V and GND pins in the usb always connected to the power supply.
>>
>>58869890
But what if it's an internal device, like a touch screen on a laptop? If there is no option in the BIOS to disable it, then there is no other way to disable it on a hardware level (without disassembling it and stuff)?
>>
>>58869968
Internal devices are commonly juat connectes ti the same power supply as the reat of the compouter, without any on/off switch.

Why do you need to stop giving your touch screen/keyboard power? Does it make any noises?
>>
>>58869968
For PCI:
echo 0 > /sys/bus/pci/slot/$X/power

For USB:
There should be a similar option in /sys/bus/usb, probably called suspend or similar
>>
Would you use a GUI tool that shows the device tree, allows you to power off individual devices, and also gives you a command-line so you can automate it?
>>
>>58870003
I'm just trying to conserve battery usage as much as possible. Since I don't ever use the touch capability of the display, I was looking into ways of disabling it. Some sources said that touch screens drain battery quickly...
>>
File: akr.png (374KB, 658x655px) Image search: [Google]
akr.png
374KB, 658x655px
>>58870034
Thanks, that was on track. If anyone cares:
lsub -t to find the bus and port
echo 0 > /sys/bus/devices/bus:port/power/autosuspend_delay_ms
echo auto > /sys/bus/devices/bus:port/power/control

On newer kernels it doesn't let you manually set the level to 'suspend' anymore, so just set autosuspend delay to 0 and enable auto suspend.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.