[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DVD player output

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: purple-dvd-background.jpg (527KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
purple-dvd-background.jpg
527KB, 1920x1280px
Hey /g/, I got a problem with my DVD player.

One of the component connectors isn't functioning. Not the green/luminance one though, the blue one.

So I need to figure out a way to make it work better. Cause no matter what I try, everything just ends up looking wantonly purple, one shade or another. I dug up an S-video to composite cable which fortunately only seemed to transmit the luma signal, but plugging that into the Pb connector just makes it a stronger warmer purple like every other way of doing it does. It doesn't make it look interesting at all. And the damn thing keeps failing to give me a proper duochrome image!

So I'm not sure what to do. If I get a cheap S-video cable and solder the chroma connection to an RCA cable, will it look like something? Or can I get split RCA cable and let the Pr signal go into both PbPr and get a duochrome image like that?
>>
>>58846213
>DVD player so old it doesn't have HDMI
Jesus, just get a new one, they're cheap as hell.
>>
>>58846232
Ewww, buy a DVD player?

But the TVs seems to be one of those new ones with a botnet in it, if I get a modern device with a digital connection, it'll presumably be better able to see it.
>>
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
Did you try jiggling the wire
>>
>>58846393
That was automatically necessary in crosswiring it every way possible. Which somehow always gave me purple.
>>
>>58846213
why not replace the cable?

also, what's all that about duochrome?
>>
>>58847564
I tried various cables, one of the connectors on the DVD player does not work.

Therefore, I should still have the green and red channels - that would be "duochrome".
>>
>>58847680
that's not how YPbPr works, despite the colors of components connectors, they aren't red, green and blue color channels

if you have the red and green connectors, you have luma (Y, green connector) and Pr (red connector) which is the difference between luma and red
the green color is derived from the three signals

this means no matter which two component signals you have, you can't get luma and two color channels (duochrome), it's just not how it works
>>
File: YCbCr frame decomposition.png (307KB, 960x816px) Image search: [Google]
YCbCr frame decomposition.png
307KB, 960x816px
>>58847738
I know that it does not work like straight RGB or a VGA signal.

So of course it wouldn't work at all if anything was wrong with the green connector.

So I should be able to get something that looks like the bottom images here ... though those do admittedly look quite bad. But I don't seem to be getting even that. And I know this is actually YCbCr, but if it's transmitting 2/3 of the information, I'd to be able to get something somewhat detailed out of it.
>>
File: YCbCr two color channels.png (480KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
YCbCr two color channels.png
480KB, 960x544px
>>58848191
Wait, the bottom ones there are wrong, though for some reason it always does end up looking a lot like the bottom left one.

Problem is, it never ends up looking anything like these.
>>
>>58848191
if you don't want to fix the issue, the most usable image you'll get from it is by just using Y, aka, a black and white image

and "2/3 of the information" isn't very accurate, green is derived from the other two color channels, so losing one of those also causes the loss of green, so you only have 1/3 of the color information
>>
>>58848340
It's not that I don't want to, it's that I can't.

I see, I thought the blue and red signals encoded difference from green. Now it seems tempting to try a component connection with the luminance signal pulled in from the S-video connector instead ... I'd try that if I had a suitable particularly unimportant TV. It sounds like it would be screwy to have the main signal in 480i and the detail signals in 480p.

This is a bit confusing because I can't find anywhere what the chroma signal in an S-video connection actually is like.
>>
>>58848815
s-video is more like composite, only it separates luma and chroma into seperate signals/pins/wires
the luma pin from s-video may be usable plugged into components' Y plug, i'm not certain if they're compatible signals
>>
>>58848914
They likely had s-video in but didn't take the components out.
>>
>>58846213
>look guys i use old tech am i cool yet

fuck off
>>
>>58849587
you threw away your dvd collection when hd-dvd/bluray came out?
you do realize not everything got a bluray release, right?
>>
>>58849587
Hah, you think you can scoff like that? Much of what I have around is actually VCDs!

But then, those don't really need more than composite...
>>
>>58849662
>VCD
are you somewhere in asia?
those didn't really get off the ground anywhere else, people just stuck with VHS until DVD came about
>>
>>58849611
>you threw away your dvd collection when hd-dvd/bluray came out?

I ripped all optical media like any sane person would do. (Although I mostly just download stuff because it's even easier.)

If you're too poor to set up a proper HTPC you can buy a dedicated media player for $30. It plays from USB/network/SD... There is no reason to be playing anything from a spinning disc in [current year].
>>
>>58849611
feels bad to not be part of the /pyramid/ huh?
>>
>>58849741
i did what you do, but i understand why some people prefer to just stick with the original media
>>
>>58849662
VCDs actually only have a resolution of 240p but the VCD players usually output a 480i signal and adds some flicker effect.

How do I get a 240p out of a VCD?

I want to watch my old VCDs with a perfect progressive scan output with scanlines on my CRT.

I actually had imported old VCDs of some Star Wars movies back when they weren't on DVD yet.

I also made my own VCDs of the Star Wars Trilogy: Despecialized Edition and The Studio Ghibli Collection just so I can watch them with scanlines.

VCD is an obscure technology, anyway.

Even using something like a Sega Saturn or Dreamcast is okay, as long as it can play VCDs in 240p.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.