[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 43

File: tpg.png (278KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tpg.png
278KB, 600x600px
Previous thread: >>58799876

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
http://ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
http://www.dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
http://pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
http://pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1
>>
>>58824949
I want to fuck a thinkpad
>>
File: tomoko lite uses thinkpaddu.png (984KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tomoko lite uses thinkpaddu.png
984KB, 1920x1080px
My X200 was making lots of noise because they fan bearings were shot, so I tried to replace the fan which is under the motherboard and requires a complete disassembly of the laptop.
I couldn't get past the display cable removal because it's stuck on ultra tight and I was afraid to strip the screws, so I just resorted to putting this in my cron jobs for root.
It actually works pretty well.
# fan noise reduction
* * * * * echo "watchdog 0" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
* * * * * echo "level 1" > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan

Just make sure you have a file called thinkfan.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/ that contains the following
options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1
>>
Does anybody knew a list of movies where Thinkpads are used widely instead of Apple Fagbooks?
>>
>>58825113
Why does it matter?
>>
>>58825118
Just curiosity mostly.
>>
File: T420_hero_04.jpg (2MB, 4064x3334px) Image search: [Google]
T420_hero_04.jpg
2MB, 4064x3334px
What's the point of having mouse buttons on top and below the touchpad?
>>
>>58825440
The top-most buttons are used in conjunction with the trackpoint.
The trackpad was added later because everyone else included one and they didn't want to needless alienate their customer base.

If your thinkpad has a trackpad, it's not a real thinkpad.
>>
>>58825468
>if you thinkpad has a trackpad, it's not a real thinkpad
Fucking hipster living off the past.
>>
Has anyone ever re-celled a battery for a thinkpad? I have a T61 I got with a shot 9cell, so what I was thinking about is ordering a cheap Chinese battery for the moment and then recelling the 9cell with Panasonic 18650s. Also just installed Manjaro for first time, and also liking it over Crunchbang and Bunsenlabs.
>>
I want to try a laptop with pen-input, is there a better price-to-performance than the x230t if I can get it for $120?
>>
>>58825440
comfiness no joke
the top ones are much more comfortable to use when switching between using the trackpad the mouse buttons
this is because, for example, i can place my index finger on the pad and use my middle, ring, and pinky fingers to touch the left, middle, and right buttons, respectively
>>
File: 1485862154163.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1485862154163.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
is there any point in having the second video card completely disabled from BIOS ?

also is there a recommended color profile for the t430s hd+?
>>
>>58825571
When I tried running linux on a T400 with switchable graphics, it would fire up both cards at once and it would quickly escalate to 200F and shut off to prevent damage after only a few minutes.

I then bought another one without the switchable graphics and never had the problem again.
Don't buy switchable graphics, they're nothing but trouble.
Best case scenario is you get stuck on Windows 7 forever because they only ever released one version of the switchable GPU driver and it's windows.
>>
>>58825571
If you do Hackintosh, for example, it's recommended, although some bootloaders like Clover can disable the dGPU at boot time.
>>
File: 2nUnNQ7.jpg (62KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
2nUnNQ7.jpg
62KB, 480x480px
>>58825621
>>58825647
Under 2nd video card i mean the nVidia one, currently it is disabled from bios, instead of depending on the optimus. Not that i would play games anytime soon, but i was wondering if it wouldn't be the same to leave the job to optimus for when power is needed,and spare the restart to activate shit. And yeah, it's winblows, need it for work anyways.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16KB, 340x344px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16KB, 340x344px
>>58825693
That image.
>>
>>58825709
but why
>>
Possible to upgrade a T520 to Ivy Bridge?

If not now, maybe in the distant future? It just needs a new BIOS, right?
>>
>>58825728
Because laces already uniformly apply pressure up the length depending on the size of your foot and if you have any of the issues listed you just buy a shoe that fits.
>>
are there certain parts to avoid on t420? anything that overheats a lot/dies early
>>
>>58825113
it's all just product placement, whoever gets the highest bid

just watched The Accountant and there was a good amount of Dell stuff
>>
>>58825498
Manjaro is pretty bad compared to arch. It uses its own shittier, slower repositories compared to arch, and in general the development team is pretty bad.
>>
>>58825785
no it's a different socket

>>58825797
ya don't buy a broken one

also the screens are universally poo, don't expect too much from them

the T420s has a smaller battery that does not use cylindrical cells, so if battery life is important to you then avoid those ones too, but a regular T420 with a good condition 9-cell battery can get great battery life
>>
I'm thinking about switching my Zenbook UX303LN (i7 6200u 12GB GF 840m) for X240/X230.

Are there good touchpad drivers? (eg. two fingers swipe for scrolling, two finger click for mmb, three finger click for rmb etc.).
How long is battery life natively running ubuntu / windows 7 / windows 8?
Is performance good enough to run Windows from Ubuntu VB?
>>
>>58825872
ty
>>
>>58825911
yes the touchpads have gestures and multitouch stuff
>>
>>58825972
Is it configurable?
>>
>>58826001
I believe some of it is. I haven't used W8/W10 on a newer ThinkPad so I can't say for sure.
>>
Is it even worth upgrading the ram on my machine?
I have 2GB currently, and a 4GB swap partition on my SSD, so I haven't felt any of the "thrashing" you'd expect on an HDD.

The most intensive thing I do is have 30 chrome tabs open, and this is what it looks like
$ free -h
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1.9G 1.8G 103M 419M 3.7M 519M
-/+ buffers/cache: 1.2G 626M
Swap: 3.8G 1.6G 2.2G
>>
File: IMG_8045.png (138KB, 296x166px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8045.png
138KB, 296x166px
>>58825489
>living off the past
>off the past
>off
There's something in every Changpost that gives them away. Yes, maybe people are living in the past when they want a sturdy computer which doesn't spy on them, maybe. But Lenovo sucks a cock and their quality has gone down the shitter even further every year.

You should be ashamed of yourself Chang, shilling this low-speed is rarely seen.
>>
Why are there no x240 fullHD in my shit country ;_;
>>
Thinking of getting an x1 carbon. Are they any good?
>>
Anyone know if the X60 Tablet's Mini PCI Express slot supports mSATA drives? I don't use my WWAN card and I'd like to replace it with an SSD, making it my bootable primary drive, with the 2.5" drive bay being used as secondary storage.
>>
>>58826684
P-series is way better
>>
>>58825857
Not my question, also im newish to linux anyways so I'm not going full autist and doing straight arch.
>>
File: w530 bought.png (372KB, 1346x615px) Image search: [Google]
w530 bought.png
372KB, 1346x615px
Just bought this thing for 400$ USD shipping included. It's a K2000M, and I'm planning to use it for 3D drawing (namely aerospace stuff) and some gayming.

Did I do good?
>>
>>58825468
>tfw x200 libreboot without trackpad
>>
>>58827783
Don't know about the price because I'm not American but you should be completely satisfied with it's cad capabilities considering it was built precisely for work such as cad.

If it's not got one already you should consider installing a good 1080p screen, others here can recommend you a good screen replacement, the best of which actually come from different laptops.
>>
>>58828298
I think it's a 1920 screen, should be fine.
>>
>>58828331
check the lcds model number when you get it. It should be the b156w01 v.4 I purchased a w530 and it was advertised to have a 1080p screen and it did but it had been replaced with a much cheaper and shitter 1080p panel at some point in its life.
>>
>>58823687
just buy/rent an i1Display Pro, and using the provided software or dispcalGUI do a calibration at D65 and make a profile of your screen. It's more accurate than a generic profile.
>>
>>58825113
the fifth estate
>>
I need to use Windows, so I'll start dual booting my t420. My school gives me the option of 7/8.1/10.
Botnet aside, does 10 run okay on the t420s?
>>
File: tp.jpg (14KB, 470x178px) Image search: [Google]
tp.jpg
14KB, 470x178px
>>58825532
welp let's see how this compares to my 2570p.

My first thinkpad.
>>
Just finished installing my replacement parts and setting up Arch.

>T420
>i7-2620M
>16GB RAM
>525GB SSD
>1600x900

Is this the ultimate meme machine, lads? It looks brand new, and I also bought the docking station. So pleased to be using a Thinkpad again.
>>
>>58825113
In 'Contact,' Jodie Foster's character exclusively uses a Thinkpad. And in Goldeneye, Bond uses a Thinkpad 701 in one shot when he's getting briefed by M. There's also a Thinkpad in The Social Network, but I don't remember the scene.

I also saw an NFL advert the only time I've ever been to a bar, in which a man is watching a stream of a Seahawks game on a prominently displayed T60. You see the IBM logo, bezels, and everything. I really got a kick out of that.
>>
File: Stinkpad.jpg (183KB, 1172x876px) Image search: [Google]
Stinkpad.jpg
183KB, 1172x876px
>>58824949
I took my X40 out for a drive today.
>>
File: 1483213551731.jpg (183KB, 920x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1483213551731.jpg
183KB, 920x1227px
my new x230 is stuck at 1.197ghz. what the fuck do i do? Tried running an old 007 quantum of solace game and it cant even reach 20 fps.
already repasted, fan is clean.
i5 3320m
>>
>>58831119
It's still running cool while doing this right?

Some thinkpads will clock down hard if they're not powered with the correct adapter, but if there's a battery in them it should be fine regardless.
>>
>>58824949
just recently bought this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152390897789

it has computrace enabled and i cannot disable it in bios

how fucked am i?
what should i do?

>These laptops left the factory with Computrace-capable BIOS. The previous owners had Computrace active but had the service deactivated before sending the units to us for resale. The units still produce a harmless Computrace warning when entering BIOS setup. The user may ignore the warning. We have verified with Absolute Software that Computrace on these laptops has been deactivated at their end.

should i trust this mofo and use it?
>>
>>58831377
If it stills works exactly as you'd expect then I don't see why it'd really be a problem. They weren't subtle about the fact it was enabled so given that you got it cheap, having to deal with a minor nuisance is the trade-off.
>>
>>58831188
tested both ways :/
and yes, it never goes beyond 51°C
>>
My T420 is struggling when dual screen with laptop screen and a 1080p monitor. In particular when watching a video at 1080p while doing something else on the laptop monitor.

What would be the most sensible upgrade to help fix this issue? I've noticed CPU being full load since I have i5-2520M. I've considered an i7 upgrade but worry about heating. What experience have you had with this?

Also, if I were to go for another thinkpad, which would be the most sensible upgrade form a T420?
>>
>>58831782

yeah but i still want computrace removed though, can i just call Absolute software or is there another way to remove computrace without tampering with hardware?
>>
Is it ok to mix ram?
>>
>>58831802
You could look into this:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-X220-reportedly-facing-CPU-throttling-issues.54679.0.html
No idea if it would affect the X230 but the issue sounds similar.

>>58831828
Sounds like something's configured badly, my T410 can handle chinese cartoons well enough with the same setup. Have a bit of a play around with your video player's settings. An i7 might help to some degree, though keep in mind the GPU will remain the same.

>>58831955
Yes, though Ideally the timings should remain the same.
>>
>>58831974
i cant find any answers for the clock speed lock anywhere. fuck
>>
>>58831974
>Have a bit of a play around with your video player's settings

It's youtube HTML5 :(

That's why I was debating getting a new Thinkpad. I've considered a CPU upgrade + eGPU but the cost doesn't seem to be worth it (aside from GPU being usable when I graduate and have fixed residence). At that price range I can start considering quite newer models (thought at the loss of the useful page navigation/delete keys)
>>
>Found a bulk liquidation auction on Lenovo shit
>Auctions on each individual laptop all end at the exact same time so you're effectively forced to pick one and stick with it unless you're a re-seller
It's as if they're actively trying limit competitive bidding.
Here's the link if any other ausfags are interested, though it's mostly lenovo's cheaper rubbish.
www.graysonline.com/sale/2161580/

>>58832059
You could look into setting your browser up to open youtube videos in MPV instead. I think there are video players that integrate youtube quite well so something like having a standalone application for it might help too.

I'm not entirely sure how they work, but you could look at Broadcom Crystal HD for a quick fix, but you might need to a bit of research to make sure it'd do the job.
>>
>>58832223
Okay, I'll keep looking into it further. Hadn't really considered my media players too deeply.
>>
Are the batteries on ebay for the t60 legit? Why are they 17 bucks? I thought they'd be more expensive 2bh
>>
What the hell do the docks do? I've noticed lots of T520s near me being sold with them.
>>
>>58832900
They give you more ports and let you leave all your peripherals plugged into one stationary device so you only have to insert/remove the Thinkpad instead of each individual thing you want to plug into it.
>>
>>58831854
>remove computrace
Throw it away and get a different Thinkpad anon. They will find you.
>>
what the fuck, my battery wear level keeps shrinking with like % a day, it was around 25% when I got it, now it's around 20%. I tried recalibrating, but didn't show any difference after it. The seller claimed it was used mostly on the docking station, can it be that the laptop is learning the battery's true limits ?
>>
>>58833047
>The seller claimed it was used mostly on the docking station, can it be that the laptop is learning the battery's true limits ?
Yeah, if it's been on a docking station then it's likely been at full charge constantly. If you to fix the reading then run it through a full discharge-recharge cycle or two.
>>
>>58831854
you have to call them. also you might have to send them proof that you legally bought the thinkpad
>>
>>58831017
If I could only get a non touchpad palmrest for my X220. This looks and feels just so much better...
>>
>>58833091
thx will try again.
>>
>>58833233
It's a smoother surface, and I think the palmrest has a better feel without the trackpad.

This little machine is 100% usable today, running Debian 8. I can even watch Youtube videos but only in 240p without stuttering and other issues. It easily plays full HD video (on its 1024x768 screen kek) with mplayer though, so I can just suck a video out of the page with youtube-dl and watch it at my leisure.
>>
>>
>>58833356
What are your specs? I had a T40 a while ago and it played YouTube videos at 480p perfectly fine.
>>
Currently looking for a good price on an X60 so I can try Coreboot. I like the idea of having a 100% free computer. Not as my main machine as the performance wouldn't be sufficient sufficient though,
>>
Is a thinkpad t60 with SXGA+ screen (15'') the only viable one outside of the flexview one which is near unattainable? Really want a t60 but don't want to buy a shite one
>>
What's the appropriate method of reinstalling Windows 10 on a Thinkpad tablet?
Just using the "Reset this PC" thing, or will important tablet drivers be removed and not reinstalled?
>>
>>58833774
15" SXGA+ is Flexview. Look for a T60p to maximize your chances, since all 15" 4:3 models had Flexview screens. There's no need to worry about getting XGA TN shit like with the normal T60.

It's the sort of thing you'll have to hunt for, especially if you really want the UXGA screen. Check listings that lack details, look up type numbers with the database in OP, ask sellers questions, lurk ebay every day until one pops up. They are out there, and not all at full retard prices. I got a UXGA T60p in pristine condition for $95. You'll get yours too, if you're patient.
>>
>>58833818
Is a SXGA screen on a 15'' t60 any good though?
>>
>>58833825
Yeah, it's fine. As long as it's genuine and not a "compatible" replacement panel. Those are TN trash that you should never pay for.
>>
>Accidentally opened an image and lost everyone I replied too...

Fuck.
I'm making a video to tell everyone to shut the fuck up about recelling batteries

Also when is there gonna be a /tpg/ meet? /o/ had a few in the past.

Also, Unless I get in shape, I won't be dressed as a whore. (;
No one get any ideas
>>
>>58833959
y-you're a grill?
>>
>>58833959
S Y D N E Y
Y
D
N
E
Y
>>
>>58833959
>I'm making a video to tell everyone to shut the fuck up about recelling batteries
I'll be interested to see your problems with it, I know people that have done it successfully by pulling cells from unused batteries. I don't know if it'd be worth the cost of buying new cells though, but at least you know you're getting reasonable quality ones.

>Also when is there gonna be a /tpg/ meet?
B-but everyone would know I actually use an Edge

>/o/ had a few in the past.
They have tons of them, though there's nothing particularly exciting about going driving unless you're there yourself.
>>
>>58833784
plz help
I feel like an old person right now who doesn't know how to computer
Although both of my grandparents used to be in the IT business, ironically.
>>
File: vlHShKQ.jpg (57KB, 640x438px) Image search: [Google]
vlHShKQ.jpg
57KB, 640x438px
>>58833959
>Also when is there gonna be a /tpg/ meet?
>>
>>58833386
>IBM Thinkpad X40
>1.2 GHz Pentium M™ with SpeedStep™
>1280 MB RAM (-32MB for Intel Extreme Graphics?)
>64GB Kingspec SSD in fucked special form factor
>original small battery, made in Armonk, NY, ±45min battery life still
>2 chinese batteries, ±12 hours battery life with special power-saving jewry
It's quite a nice little machine. I'm running Debian on it. It'll run Quake 3 and Dwarf Fortress, what else do you need?
>>
>>58833959
>/tpg/ meet
It better have an event where you smash watermelons and ither various things with G40s.
>>
File: DSC_3887a.jpg (756KB, 1822x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3887a.jpg
756KB, 1822x1000px
>>58833362
Happier times. And then something shit itself ;~;

>>58833784
Depends on how windows 10 got onto it. If it was an upgrade, it'll take you to a fairly bare state so you should probably just have the drivers handy in case windows update doesn't get them for you. But basic things like pen and touch input should work at a rudimentary level out of the box
>>
>>58834289
>Happier times. And then something shit itself ;~;
I'm shaking down a T60 with the nice screen and an X61s right now too. I also have a T42, a T30, and an i Series 1400 which actually still works amazingly well as an old DOS / FreeBSD legacy machine. It's huge. Somehow they managed to put one of the best laptop keyboards ever made into it too, so it's still a useful machine.

I'll take a family photo all with their docking stations and my awesome Thinkpad leather briefcase and other swag like my Ultrabay device collection and sheeit.
>>
>>58833362
>>58834289
enjoy your rust
>>58833959
>I'm making a video to tell everyone to shut the fuck up about recelling batteries
why?
Was hoping to recell this absolutely dead x220t battery instead of spending my hard earned sheckles on something new and not 200% chink.
>>
Is it common for used E6400/E6410' s to have a little hinge wobble? Should I do something about it if it's there or nevermind it?
>>
Shitposting in this thread from my OLPC XP-1.5 which still works great and gets 2 hours battery life on the original pack!

It's quite rugged and has one of the best wifi antennas put inito a computer. Too bad abut the keyboard though...
>>
>>58834585
Probably still worse than mac's
I'm still impressed that I can get good wifi from my basement all the way at my neighbors house across the street and over 1
>>58834567
yes all laptops have a little bit of wobble.
Although you can probably tighten the hinges a bit if you take the bottom off.
>>
>>58834289
That's beatiful. The scenery isn't bad either.
Badum tsss
>>
>>58830861
Oh, I remeber contact. Sadly, for some reason I can't stomach Sagan work anyways.
>>
>>58834334
Do you think that these computers are fagbooks?
>>
>>58834662
>all laptops have a little bit of wobble
>all
Not rly, the thinkpads I' ve had didn' t have that, and I sorta don' t expect that on a business machine. On consumer-tier plastic bodied laptops that sort of wobble sometimes means that the hinges are on their way to falling apart, and other times it's just the way their hinges are and nothing is falling apart.

I'm puzzled what might this wobble mean on this nicely built alloy-bodied fella - is it perhaps the hinges themselves wobbling, or have they become loose where they' re bolted onto the lid
>>
>>58830861
CONTACT
that's what it was called. thanks. gonna watch it now.
>>
>>58834091
He's trolling/attention whoring.
>>
The leftmost tip of my x220 on the lcd/top it sorta peels back whenever I open it and exposes behind the screen, is there anyway I can fix this?
>>
Can i find thinkpad's analog?
>>
Is it better to use software encryption or to encrypt through bios?
>>
I'm thinking of using a T420 as a piratebox and pentesting.
it have "Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205" WiFi chipset.
Would it support Ad Hoc and injection?
>>
>>58835975
If you want a piratebox get a TP Link router. A full blown computer is way too inefficient for that use. Unless you want to keep your lunch warm in your backpack, that is.
>>
>>58834274
Red Eclipse?
>>
>>58833362
I can smell the saltwater.
Is this bad?
>>
Running Xubuntu off a USB drive on my G40 right now. Its actually not too horrible. Installing TDE (KDE 3 fork) for keks. This keyboard is amazing compared to the ones in my T420 and X61t. I wish it has the windows key though.
>>
>>58836056
I don't want a dedicated piratebox.
I just need to use it for 2-3 hours a week.
>>
File: IMG_8939.jpg (297KB, 700x716px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8939.jpg
297KB, 700x716px
Enjoy Thinkpad video from Japan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXGy0NfpzKA

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A//ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_220

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:220
>>
>>58834334
You can't recell, so it would be a PSA?
Chip dies once current is removed on the battery, afterwards battery doesn't charge at all, even with new cells.
>>
>>58825113
2001: A Space Odyssey.
IBM product placement all over the place.
>>
File: 20170111_070811.jpg (247KB, 714x739px) Image search: [Google]
20170111_070811.jpg
247KB, 714x739px
>>58831119
no one else able to help?:(
>>
>>58831119
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/quantum-of-solace/10799

1. check turbo settings in BIOS
2. check your power settings and power adapter
>>
The left hinge on my X220 is a little bit loose where it connects to the base. Haven't opened it up yet but I figured this is a common problem. Is there anything I can do to fix this without buying new hinges? If not, will new hinges even work?

btw the screw is as tight as it gets and when I wobble the screen the screw is moving with the hinge so I guess the problem is in the base.
>>
>>58831119
>>58836467
Hey m8 do you have a battery? And what is the amount of W output 65 or 95?
>>
>>58836540
yes! its a 6 cell, it says 63Wh (11.1V x 5.30A on the back)

>>58836507
going to check the turbo settings, anything i should enable/disable?

thanks anons
>>
>>58836704
If the turbo settings are disabled then you should enable it.
>>
>>58833047
>>58833091
>>58833268

left it on while on work and now reports charged @ 101,2%, wear decreased with around 1% too
>>
So I finally got my W520.
The shit is comfy as fuck. Big, heavy, 12 GB of RAM, almost new. Later this day I"ll install a new SSD and the shit will go on like a fucking jet.
Fun fact: Mine came with a 56K modem kek
>>
>>58836389
But IBM nearly killed Dave.
>>
>>58837766
Oh, and only for 341 US Dollars. Generally this bad boys are sold for 620 USD here.
>>
How many bongcoins should I sell my W520 for?

[spoiler]1920x1080, 2000m 16gb/256gb SSD etc[/spoiler]
>>
>>58830861
How are we any different from macrumors at this point?

You're getting a kick because you saw your favorite brand of laptop in a product placement spot.
>>
>>58837766
I'm thinking about replacing my Desktop with a workstation ThinkPad in the future. In the distant future though because I don't want to ditch my i5 4690k. It's a good CPU after all.
>>
>>58837843
That's pretty sweet, I'd pick that up if I didn't already have an X230.
>>
I've been thinking about buying a t420. Are these good deals? The price seems a bit too low.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2430M-2-40GHz-6GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-14-21717-/122340844512?hash=item1c7c1523e0:g:T8UAAOSwA3dYlOWm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-Core-i5-2540M-2-60GHz-4GB-RAM-250GB-HDD-14-21683-/401270007298?hash=item5d6d8e6602:g:rBEAAOSw241Yk2lg
>>
>>58838286
Those are good prices.
The catch is no OS, which is a non-issue for anyone on this board.
>>
>>58833225

thanks, i called them this morning and now i have computrace "permamently disabled" in bios

do i need to reinstall windows? the other hard drive has linux and encrypted so no worries, right? RIGHT?
>>
Would you buy a standard x220 with 6 cell battery just for writing college shit?
>>
>>58838377
Of course. But you could also get an X230 and put on the classic keyboard. You'll get better graphics performance.
>>
File: 1484422180001.png (158KB, 666x607px) Image search: [Google]
1484422180001.png
158KB, 666x607px
>bought a memepad
>realize that it's totally useless for a neet with a superior desktop
t-thanks
>>
>>58836302

Hey xsaucie, got an opinion perhaps? Are my E6410 hinges going to break off the lid or is it just the way they are and should I worry not?

The wobble amplitude is about 2cm at the top of the lid. Aside from this wobble, they feel nice and tight just like on any thinkpad.

>>58834567
>>58834817
>>
>>58835393
yes you can:
>other business laptops
Dell Latitude 6 series, Dell Precisions, HP EliteBooks and a few others.
>>
>>58838392
The issue is rather the battery life. I don't want to upgrade it since I know I'll just use it for writing, and I already got a pretty decent desktop. I'm also checking the newer models, with 4th gen i5's
>>
>>58838327
Thanks anon!
>>
>>58838498
If you want to use it for writing, don't use anything newer than the x30 line. You won't get the 7 row keyboard. Concerning battery life, the X230 is pretty much the same as the X220. But if battery life is priority, get a 9 cell battery.
>>
>>58838567
I'm gonna take your advice, thanks mate.
>>
>>58835975
Anyone?
>>
File: Clp_Tech_ThinkPad701C.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Clp_Tech_ThinkPad701C.gif
2MB, 320x240px
Anyone know good spots to source spare parts in the UK?
x220 had a few funny turns recently and it helps to be prepared.
>>
>>58839218
that shit was alien technology

concerning the question: if in doubt, use ebay or look up stuff in a thinkpad forum.
>>
File: smartcardreader.png (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
smartcardreader.png
161KB, 800x600px
>>58824949
Is it possible to use the smartcard reader on a thinkpad to store encryption keys so you can get the full three-factor authentication?
>>
>>58839373
it's possible but I hve had problems getting a 54mm smart card reader working properly under GNU/Linux
Also, it's not really a good idea to store your keys on the majority of cards since they have proprietary software on them
>>
I'm thinking of getting a P50. It's a beast of a laptop. But I might also build a PC instead. Which would you do? I'm not much of a gamer. I guess I don't really want to deal with the heavyness of a full sized PC but want a desktop replacement. Building a PC is such an ordeal, it would be nice to be able to buy something and just plug it in.
>>
>>58839218
check import costs for your country before ebaying to avoid getting pounded like me
amazon UK should have the parts as well.
>>
>>58839373
where are the trackpoint buttons on this abomination
>>
What distro gives people the less hair pulling for X220 when dealing with hardware?
>>
has anyone here blacked out their keyboard? some of my keys are already erased
>>
>>58838400
that's your own damage bud. try to think a bit more about what your needs really are before slamming a buy button
>>
File: 1485896889394.jpg (97KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485896889394.jpg
97KB, 600x600px
I have a broken X201, and a functional X200s. Could I combine the fan and the chassis of the 201 with the x200s mobo to get the coolest x200s ever?
>>
I want the x230 but don't like the new keyboard. X220 would be even better but it's not as powerful, oh well
>>
>>58841274
buy x230 install the x220 keyboard on it and flash the embedded controller
>>
>>58831119
Are you sure graphic drivers are installed?
>>
>>58841563
of course
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I got an x240, and it's nice so far, but the screen has this weird bend in it. Is this normal/safe?
>>
>>58841073
You can compare both fan post pics.

Also how about getting better cooling for t420 I saw over 3 types of cooler for this model and I dont know which of them should I chose
>>
430s best pad
>>
>>58840773
Doesn't have 'em. Probably **40 series shit.
>>
What are some good configs for the t420 fan?
Is it okay if I let it run at 60 degrees Celsius without the fan?
>>
>>58842064
wtf since when was this a thing? the ones ive seen in stores seem to have them
>>
>>58841794
it wont effect its operation, but lol at the build quality
>>
>>58837921
Because it was an ancient IBM laptop I used in high school being shown in a fucking NFL commercial. It's uncommon to see Thinkpads in films, and I just grin a little when I recognise one, because I'm a fucking dork that really likes my laptop. Don't see anything wrong with that whatsoever.
>>
>>58842501
Yeah. Kinda disappointed. I knew the x240 wasn't the best purchase, but I needed the battery life. Impressed with the battery life, performance, and build quality save the screen so far; the battery actually locks in, unlike the x201 (where you can slide it out enough to fit a quarter between it and the chassis).
The screen is shit, though; it's IPS, but shit. 768p/16:9. That bend. Hinge is *not* as rock-solid as the x201's screen; it wiggles and feels *creaky*.
The keyboard layout annoys me. Back/forwards is now pgup/pgdn, there's no 7th row, the trackpad is fuckhuge and won't stop reading when I'm typing (although I'm enabling a synaptics config to fix it now).
>>
Need a laptop for Uni and I've been thinking about getting a Thinkpad. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for a T420, I'm just not sure where to get one. Craigslist hasn't shown much.
>>
>>58834274
UT99 via wine if it works
>>
File: 1486494427392.png (3MB, 1233x1887px) Image search: [Google]
1486494427392.png
3MB, 1233x1887px
>>58842136
Please respond
>>
Anyone have any idea why my shit won't charge? Staying on 0% plugged in and getting a flashing orange light on the battery button.
>>
>>58842777
your battery is fried
>>
>>58842816
I hope you're right.. I'm not home yet but I have a few replacements laying around. Although it's still strange, since this one was perfectly fine and no flaws for a long time now..

Read a little about how it can be a motherboard electric related issue.. would be fucking bummed if my x220 is toast.
>>
>>58842777
>>58842816
Battery or charging plug may be fucked. Check by booting from the plug. If it boots, your battery is fucked. If not, your plug is fucked.
>>
>>58842850
It'll boot when plugged in. Just stays on 0%. Battery?
>>
File: wasted_dad.jpg (47KB, 635x820px) Image search: [Google]
wasted_dad.jpg
47KB, 635x820px
is it safe to let my x230 reach 85/90°C while gayming? getting between 36 and 50 fps on csgo so far. already repasted and removed as much dust from the fan as i could
>>
>>58842980
an X230 can run CSGO? Damn.

Can an X220 run CSS?
>>
how many of you guys use windows on your thinkpad, just out of curiosity? I use devuan, and everyone else I see with a thinkpad has some sort of linux on it, I have never really seen a /g/ user with windows on his thinkpad, so I am just really curious if anyone here uses windows on their thinkpad.
>>
>>58843005
x230's igpu is worth the upgrade, but x220 is cheaper and comfy if you dont need the graphics
>>
Complete noob here at both ThinkPads and computers in general. Just got my T420 in the mail and the disc drive is "powered off". How do I turn it on?
>>
>>58843176
>x230's igpu

The Intel HD 4000?
>>
>>58843005
my x201 runs css pretty fine on linux, so I don't think you need to worry about the x220.
>>
>>58843245
yes, there was quite a performance jump after the hd 3000
>>
>>58843015
I use Windows on any of my Thinkpads with dGPUs because Linux drivers for anything but Intel are a huge pain in the ass and I just don't want to deal with it. My X series models are all Linux, all the time.
>>
>>58843206
Push the button.
>>
What thinkpad has the best screen? i.e. no 1366 shit, not TN and at least 1440p
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-02-07-19-27-52.png (951KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-02-07-19-27-52.png
951KB, 1440x2560px
Hello /TPG/. Looking to get pic related to upgrade my currently 4GB T420. A ram upgrade is the last thing my T420 needs to be useful for the next forever. It'll be especially helpful for my VM usage. I know I'm paying a premium here, but that's fine. Would pic related work? I saw one review that a guy threw this kit into a T510 with no issues.
>>
>>58841073
X201{,s} and X200{,s} all share the same connections for everything (mounting points, chassis, keyboard/trackpad/screen ports, etc). So yes, you can mount the fan for the 201 on the 200s.
>>
>>58844341
You can get up to 1080p IIRC on any given Thinkpad. However, you can also get 1440x900 (16:10) on the X20{0,1}s, and it's compatible with the X20{0,1}.
I think it's TN, though. The X2{4,5,6}0 have 768p IPS panels, but those are the only ones I know of.
>>
>>58844459
>on any given Thinkpad
hogwash
>>
File: thinkpad.png (240KB, 1557x720px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad.png
240KB, 1557x720px
Going out of the country in a few days and bought this on a whim because I'm sick of my old laptop. My plan was to return it as I rarely ever have need for a laptop but I've decided once I am back I want to get a new one. Should I keep this one or can I get something better? $300 budget.
>>
>>58844491
Right, sorry, wrong phrasing. There are some thinkpads with 1080p panels. Sorry, I've had a long day. Can't into words.
>>
>>58834817
It's impossible to make a screen that doesn't wobble at all that you can move.
>>58836302
oh, rip.
>>
File: IMG_1276.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1276.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
More?
>>
>>58844568
>My plan was to return it

Don't be a scumbag.
>>
File: 1481801228729-fit.jpg (8KB, 228x227px) Image search: [Google]
1481801228729-fit.jpg
8KB, 228x227px
>>58844704
L..Lewd
>>
File: IMG_1277.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1277.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
>>58844736
>>58844704
>>
>>58833356
>debian 8
debian 9 is already frozen.
>>
File: 1471292680049.png (361KB, 473x675px) Image search: [Google]
1471292680049.png
361KB, 473x675px
>>58844755
what are you doing to your thinkpad?
>>
>>58844755
now lets see you wear them
>>
if the thinkpad was a girl what would it look like?

im thinking survival Lilly
>>
>>58844736
soos pls
>>
>>58844827
>doesn't know that diddling your Thinkpad ports makes them run faster

What are you even doing on /TPG/?
>>
>>58844755
rub her trackpoint and get her hinges stiff
>>
>>58842980
no one here on the same boat?
>>
What I should download to get all Thinkpad drivers in one package?
I remeber that Lelnovo ofereded something like that in his website.
>>
>>58838010
Your desktop still is more powerful that any thinkpad anyways.
>>
>>58845076
Thinkvantage System Update
>>
File: IMG_1278.jpg (1MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1278.jpg
1MB, 1936x2592px
>>58844827
>>58844862
>>58844894
>>
>>58824949
are toughbooks still being made? if not whats the toughest laptop that can browse the web and run antergos with arch?
>>
>>58845141
TY lad.
>>
>>58842816
>>58842850
Same poster here again. Just got home and put in a different battery, now it's still orange, occasional (but different pattern) orange flicker... and not charging. What the hell? Is my x220 RIP?
>>
>>58842980
son, my t430 with i7 3630qm @ 3ghz on full load hits 100c

youre fine
>>
>>58842928
Sounds like the battery, yeah. One possibility is that it's a problem with the controller where it might have lost power and thus lost its memory. If that's the case then simply leaving it charging all day might fix it.

>>58844341
T540, W540 and onwards get 2880x1620 panels. 4K panels are available on some of the more recent 15" models as well. If you want 1440p on anything smaller then the X1 Carbon is the only option as far as I'm aware.

>>58844568
You could probably find the same specs for half the price on ebay. It might be an idea to pick on up with a 1600x900 screen at least.

>>58845131
Something like a i7-3740QM would probably be comparable in performance, at least excluding cooling and overclocking factors. The main problem is just if he already has a semi-decent desktop GPU.
>>
Just here to brag about getting an x301 for $40 CAD
>>
>>58845327
>x301
How is it? x301 are one of those models that I don't ever think about but the screen intrigues me
>>
>>58845340
I'm enjoying it so far, what do you mean about the screen?
>>
>plugged 1366x768 thinpad into 1080p monitor
>close lid, screen adjusts to 1080p

holy shit guys. Is this a feature exclusive to thinkpads?
>>
>acquire 2x8gb ddr3 800 for $50
>excited for the price
>install
>check cpu-z
>CL11
god damn it mother fucking fuck
>>
>>58844599
I'm a vintage Thinkpad fan and there's no way you're getting an HD panel into most IBMs.

For the Lenovo era, it's easier for sure. Just being pedantic and autistic.
>>
>>58824949
what does tp-smapi do that tlp cannot do?
>>
>>58844875
Based Emily.
>>
>>58845394
Macs have done this for ages too. It's rare on PC-type laptops though.
>>
best msata ssd in terms of price/performance?
the smaller the better
>>
What can I generally expect from a W530? I already know about performance, but I'd like to know how a W530 owner uses i and how he feels about stuff like battery life or fan noise.
>>
>>58845612
lazytown was the shit.

we love you, stephanie!!!
>>
>>58845612
Sata one, but 500 GB for 230 USD seems really good.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-BX100-500GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B00RQA6M5Y
>>
>>58845672
hes asking for msata, you fuck
>>
Is the manufacturer battery manager program worth installing on windows 10?
>>
>>58845612
Literally the cheapest one you can find. If you're on an old 20 series your mSATA slot is only SATA2, and you won't see the difference anyway. If you want good value, go for at least a 250/2560GB model, 120/128GB is overpriced as hell.
>>
>>58845694
>Sata one, but
>>
>>58831119
I have seen the same thing happen to many x230s. You may be stuck.
>>
>>58833503
>I like the idea of having a 100% free computer.
I hate these fags.

t. God
>>
>>58845672
why would he go 500gb for 230usd when just an adata 128gb is 59usd?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELQZCKW/ref=psdc_1292116011_t2_B014DZ3YQ4
>>
>>58834334
>enjoy your rust
rust doesn't just grow out of the air you retard
>>
>>58836302
You're THE xsauc?
>>
>>58838392
You will never get every key to work. Everyone recommends it because they saw it somewhere on the internet.

Also the backlit keyboard is based as fuck.
>>
>>58845969
why
>>
>>58846068
All keys except I think Fn+F3 and Fn+F12 are working last time I checked. Neither of those functions are notably important at all.
>>
>>58840422
>I'm thinking of getting a P50.
I was too. But you don't really need one unless you do MAJOR Solidworks/FlowEFD/Photoshop shit.
>>
>>58840800
Unironically Windows 10
>>
>>58824949
Bought a nice thinkpad 13 from lenovo outlet tpg

What am I in for?
>>
>>58842691
>you can slide it out enough to fit a quarter between it and the chassis
tbfh, this is what everyone ignores when they wax poetic the "build quality" of yore

>b-but my old computer works
so does my Powerbook G4
>>
>>58846120
I just want a new thinkpad and don't have a credit card to order online so I have to choose between what is available at staples. My choice is between x1 carbon and p50. All else they have is the shitty rebranded ideapad "thinkpads" that cost 500 bucks.
>>
>>58831119
reset bios to default
make sure battery plugged in
make sure charger is plugged in
set to maximum performance profile
run throttlestop 8.40
set multiplier to 30
>>
>>58846177
A decked out p50 is probably one of the finest laptops made at any price. You will not regret your decision.
>>
>>58836074
Thinkpads don't shy away from some beach time.
>>
>>58842847
It seems the X220 is a QC/engineeering nightmare. There is a dispraportionate amount of breaking with that model.
>>
>>58843015
I use Winshit on my work Thinkpad
>>
>>58833503
coreboot doesn't care about freedom
>>
>>58846174
See, *everything else* about the X201 quality-wise was superior. The keyboard had much better layout and tactile feedback, the trackpad was more accurate and didn't flick around when you typed, the clitmouse had smoother acceleration and more accurate detection, the chassis creaked less, taking it apart was easier, the hinges were *so* much smoother, the DAC was higher-quality, the screen didn't flicker when changing brightness, even internals like the CPU fan was less flimsy.

However, some great new things are the integrated battery, for example. I like that. I like the IPS screen, even if it burns in piss-easily. I like the flatter palmrests. I like the less lumpy bottom, which still has plenty of ventilation holes (and air to support them with the 6-cell). And the battery life improvements are unquestionably amazing. I'm running this with maximum brightness and heavy load and still getting > 8 hours, and the battery is only at 85% original capacity.
>>
>>58846250
The only bigger shitfest might just be the x230
>>
>>58846338
>>58833503
If libreboot supports it, coreboot is equally as free as libreboot. Literally the only difference between libreboot and coreboot is that coreboot ships binary blobs. But if no binary blobs are required, it is *exactly* the same as using libreboot.
>>
>>58846392
Hot damn thats some good battery life.
>>
>>58846404
really? My T version has held up well. It's a clear downgrade of build quality from the X20* line but I didn't know it was a complete pile of shit.
>>
>>58846430
If I could transplant the x240's internal 3 cell and motherboard/CPU into the x201, and hook an x200s's screen into it, I would do it in a heartbeat. Alas, everything is totally different, from the mounting points to the keyboard pins, and it'd require a level of technical competency I don't have. For now, I'll just have to settle with a transplanted x201s motherboard + big fan and an x201s's cannibalized screen.
>>
>>58846489
>and it'd require a level of technical competency I don't have.
don't feel guilty
what you're talking about would probably need a chasis redesign anyway. There is no way that you could fit a 240 into anytyhing earlier like a 200

the best transplant is an X220 keyboard into an X230T
that's really the last of the old design that you can get.
>>
Got a Problem with my "new" X220.

It makes sort of scratching noises, almost like coil whine, when loading websites. Isn't that bad but when watching YouTube videos it's ubearably loud. Changed battery and power supply already.
>>
>>58846580
I miss 16:10; or, ideally, 3:4. And you're right, you'd basically need a chassis redesign before an X240 motherboard would fit into the x201's chassis. I just want the keyboard, trackpad, etc of the X201. It's too comfy to give up completely. For now I'm just going to do the X201s + x200s screen transplants once I have the money.
>>
>>58846609
If you're interested take a look at the X62 (some gook designed a modern mobo to fit into the X61)
I don't trust their QC so I am not getting one unless they have an official market presence in the US (where I can return a DoA board)

I still use my X200 a lot with Libreboot and GNU/Linux. Like you said, too comfy to give up.
My X200T is a fantastic machine in terms of build quality. The X230T I use for work is a piece of shit in terms of build quality compared to it. I have a strong hate for Gookovo because of what they have done to the line. The Chinks could never realize that they had a good product that needed very little design change because it's in their blood to mindlessly copy market trends. It's very sad to see this play out with the current abortions with a Thinkpad logo
>>
Is an X200 a good purchase for someone who wants something half-decent and ultra-portable? How useful is the pen input for casual drawfag purposes?
>>
>>58846177
Buy a gift card and use it online?
>>
How does the XPS 13 compare to the X1 Carbon?
>>
>>58846485
>>58846250
I really think the X220 is one of the best Thinkpads.. I got my situation fixed.

Turns out the 9 Cell + AC Adapter shit out at the same time. 6 Cell + my girlfriends adapter seems to work fine.
>>
>>58846805
>I really think the X220 is one of the best Thinkpads..
It's the last "good" one
IMO, it's definetly not one of the best as it's a product of late Gookovo. They clearly demonstrated they can't do anything right
>>
>>58846682
I've seen it, it just seems phenomenally hacky. There's 3d printed parts all over it, the fan grill doesn't even match up with the fan holes, and
>gooks in charge of QC
Basically I'd love to, but there's so many problems with it it just doesn't seem the best option. Of course, it's probably the best out there. Maybe once I have more money I'll set myself a $10k budget and build my own laptop, fabricating all my own case parts, and sourcing the batteries/screens from the best possible sources. Maybe a 3rd party sells the tocuh-less screens for the iPad Pro, who knows.
>>
>>58846768
XPS 13:
Coil whine
High-res screen
Shitty keyboard/trackpad

X1 Carbon
Better contrast ratio for the screen because
>OLED meme
better keyboard
basically same processors, but no coil whine
better build quality
more user-serviceable

that's pretty much it, you'll probably do just fine with either one, as long as you're deaf.
>>
>>58842464
Lenovo fucked up in the Haswell generation Thinkpads and people bitched, so they changed them back for all later models
>>
>>58846859
>Basically I'd love to, but there's so many problems with it it just doesn't seem the best option.
Yeah, maybe if it was half the price I would pick it up for the fun of it.
>Of course, it's probably the best out there. Maybe once I have more money I'll set myself a $10k budget and build my own laptop, fabricating all my own case parts, and sourcing the batteries/screens from the best possible sources.
I support you even though that sounds like a scary venture. Make sure to study how those before you failed and where they did good so you don't repeat their mistakes. These things usually go way out of budget and don't scale well outside of being personal projects (see Novena, Talos)
>>
>>58846733
good for casual stuff. the laptop itself is more than half decent if you ask me. it holds up well enough to be a main laptop. not a main computer but certainly a main laptop
>>
>>58846859
The problem with trying to custom make stuff is that to produce stuff like the subframe and casing to standard that it's worthwhile. At least with the chink builds, you've got tried and proven design that you can just drop a new motherboard onto.

>Maybe a 3rd party sells the tocuh-less screens for the iPad Pro, who knows.
The chinks as always, will provide. You could also look at the 3:2 Chromebook Pixel screen which is only about $70 and probably easier to connect up.
>>
My x220 is almost six years old and it's starting to show signs of its age.

Should I wait for the X270 to come out or consider a used X240?
>>
>>58846951
I'm used to an x201's performance level, so all I really need is something like a high-powered ARM chip. So, really, all I'd need is a custom-made Raspberry Pi or something similar with ethernet/USB-C/USB3 and the appropriate pins attached.
Thanks for the well-wishes.
>>58847034
>3:2
good enough and holy shit that resolution
thank you for informing me of that, anon. I may look into this.
If I give myself enough budget, I'm honestly going to go for a titanium chassis and just lasercut it using the best one I can rent out. I'll obviously need to do some research into CAD, but aside from that it seems a relatively easy venture assuming I do it right and have the money.
>>
>>58847198
Don't get an X240.
t. someone who just got an X240.
Battery life great. Almost everything else not so much.

But what do you mean 'show signs of its age,' anon? Every part in there is replaceable. You could even slot in the CPU from an X230 and get more performance and lower power consumption.
>>
>>58847289

It's starting to do things slower in general. Plus a game that I play keeps upgrading and I feel like my old thing is getting left in the dust.

I'd like to just swap parts in and out if I can - I already replaced the fan about a year and a half ago. I'm very attached to my x220 since I bought it when it was new before I entered college and I'd rather not be out of 2000 shekels when I'm about to move.
>>
>>58847289
>You could even slot in the CPU from an X230 and get more performance and lower power consumption.
The CPU is soldered in X series, and he'd need to flash Coreboot anyway.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (21KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
21KB, 512x287px
>have to wait until next Tuesday to get my thinkpad

Why even live?
>>
>>58847325
Spring for an SSD if you can, I think the x220 has an msata slot that's bootable; that'll definitely increase your general interactivity if you don't already have one.

Also, your CPU might be throttling because of old thermal paste; even if it's a year old, if you used the stuff that came with the fan, it might be dried out. Try getting some Arctic MX4 in there, I got a 20C drop from my x201 by repasting it.

>>58847373
Damn, I thought the entirety of the **20 series had slotted CPUs. Does the x230 have the same mounting points for the motherboard? If so he can just replace the mobo, which is a relatively easy operation, and thinkpad motherboards are cheap.
>>
>>58847325
>It's starting to do things slower in general.
This is a sign that you need to learn how to manage your software. Computers don't juget "get slower" for no reason.
>>
>>58847325

Following up on this: I think I need to upgrade my processor and do something to boost my RAM. I've done hardware upgrades before, but never anything involving the CPU.

Does the guide in the OP have what I'm looking for, or is there another resource I should consider?
>>
>>58847435
>>58847430
>>58847325
Also this. Windows will "get slower" as time goes on from normal use, just because it's a piece of shit and even if you do most things correctly you're basically bound to fuck something up just from basic human error. Reinstall Windows, basically.

>>58847457
As >>58847373 corrected me, the CPU is not replaceable on the X220, but I'm *decently sure* the motherboard mounting points are the same between the X220 and the X230. If you haven't already maxed out the RAM, do it now, DDR3 is skyrocketing in price.
Look at the X220 User's Manual:
http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/x220_x220i_x220tablet_x220itablet_ug_en.pdf
That has all the necessary instructions for replacing things.
>>
>>58847198
Might be an idea to look for an X250, they can often be had as similar enough prices to an X240 anyway.

>>58847268
>Raspberry Pi in a laptop
I've though about doing this myself and it can't be too hard. The biggest problems that I can see are just getting the screen and keyboard working. Other than that it's a case of making sure it all fits and then cramming as many flat lithium cells in as you can for that week long battery life. My only problem with it is that I don't have any practical need for it since my netbook just werks.

>laser cutting titanium
Sounds like a pretty good method to me, if designed right it'd probably be as good as a proper subframe. Probably less likely to crack like the magnesium ones as well.
>>
Should I buy a T560 brand new? What are the good thinkpads to buy new?
>>
Help: Replaced the screen on my t430 (last one cracked) and now the lid switch doesnt work, any ideas ? (tried to use a magnet to see if it was a magnetic switch but no luck.
>>
>>58847494
Yeah, the RPi would obviously need to be modified/customized with pins for the screen, keyboard, and trackpad (and to be slimmer than 2x USB ports stacked on top of each other), but if I cannibalize an old x201 keyboard (or order a custom PCB and make a 40% mechanical keyboard built into the chassis), I could probably get some sort of attachment to the 40 GPIO pins pretty easily. Then attach the Pixel's screen and a trackpad somehow, and then yeah, slap 99.5Wh's worth of batteries into it, call it a day, and have the best laptop ever.

Basically the only thing standing between me and this is money and time. I'd have to order a bunch of stuff and figure out how to make all the components fit together in a not-completely-hacky way.

I'm seriously going to do this when I have income, though, and enjoy only charging it once every week or two. I'm tired of the compromises needed to get a good laptop.
>>
>>58847198
Why not an X250? If you want one of the newer models, at least get one that has dedicated Trackpoint buttons.
>>
>>58847430
The X230 has a different port layout, doesn't it? I don't think anyone's ever done that transplant.
>>
>>58847671
Shit, you're right, it does. It's nothing major, but looks like they got rid of the VGA screws and used minidisplayport rather than just plain old displayport. Fortunately, it looks like they're all in the same place, they're just smaller. However, probably best to just stick with basic repairs/upgrades like RAM, using an SSD, and reinstalling Windows.
>>
I'm having a hard time choosing between X and T series. I like the idea of a cute little portable machine but to be perfectly honestly, it will rarely leave my desk. The bigger screen size would probably be better, right? How did you guys choose?
>>
>>58846001
Actually air near sea is filled with salt ions and saltwater in spray form, so rust is always possible.
But that's magnesium, so it will not get rust
>>
>>58844784
I will never upgrade to 9, init still works in 8.
>>
>>58847725
Just go with the middle of the road, the T4** instead of the T5**.
>>
I have a w530 with a k2000m, and I know you can't change it because it's soldered. Can you switch the Mobo with something better? Do they make a better Mobo that I could put into the w530?
>>
>>58847777
K2000m is the best GPU available for the W530. Your only option beyond buying a different laptop is to get an external GPU setup.
>>
>>58847777
no
>>
>>58847725
Bigger screen and more screen real estate with a higher resolution is nice. If you want portability and an average sized kind of form factor, you can go for a Ts (slim) model. They don't have as good battery life as their bigger brothers and they run a bit warmer, but they are also thin and significantly lighter.

Don't go with a non-s T4** model, these are useless and don't offer any particular advantage over either the bigger T5** models or X series.
>>
>>58847725
If you rarely leave your desk you might just get an X series and a docking station. 14" or 15" screens from the T series are far from convenient for desktop use and you'd probably buy an external monitor anyways.
>>
>>58847806
do not get the s models there is too much of a sacrifice in battery life to justify a slightly slimmer profile
>>
>>58847840
It's not just slightly slimmer, it's about 1kg lighter than its non-slim 14" equivalent.
Meanwhile, the non-slim 14" models offer exactly 0 (zero) advantages over 15.6" models. They'll weigh maybe a bag of candy less and have the same god awful panels you find in the slim models while offering the same lower-end specs as the slim models from the factory. Non-slim 14" is literally pointless because everything they do, other machines do better.
At least the slim models have their weight (or lack of it) going for them.
>>
File: whee.gif (10KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
whee.gif
10KB, 50x50px
Bought X220 for $404 CAD total from newegg. so excited :DDDD
>>
>>58847880
>eanwhile, the non-slim 14" models offer exactly 0 (zero) advantages over 15.6" models. T
i owned a t430s and yes it is quite a bit lighter and slimmer but its battery life is poor in comparison and it doesnt have a socketed cpu
despite it being slimmer and lighter the t430s is still thick and heavy compared to many of todays laptops. Screens are subpar too.
Just get an x230 or a T530 with a b156w01 v.4.
>>
x260 is 1500 canadian specced out with i5 and full HD and 6 cell battery. but with the standard 500gb 7200rpm hard drive. Adding a 256gb SSD brings it to 2000, holy shit. Will I regret getting a normal hard drive? I could always upgrade it later on when I have more money right? Is it difficult to get inside the laptop to do that? I COULD pay 2000 but it seems way overpriced.
>>
>>58847915
I got mine for 500$ how u do
>>
>>58847915
>not getting it for $300 off craigslist or refurb
>>
>>58847512
>What are the good thinkpads to buy new?
none of them
>>
>>58847924
>Just get an x230 or a T530 with a b156w01 v.4.
See, this is a fine suggestion, it's just the ordinary thick 14" models that don't have a reason to exist.
The slim models are alright, really. They can fill a specific need like, say, for people who want to use an ordinary sized laptop with a decent resolution while on their daily commutes between home and work, and will dock it to charge while at work. They make some sacrifices, but a slim model can be a sensible purchase.
As for being thick and heavy compared to many of today's laptops, it depends. A T430s is thick and heavy compared to ultrabooks, yeah, but compared to more average "normal" laptops those haven't gotten much thinner.

There's always the X1 Carbon series too, though these don't have docking connectors. Ultimately, sensible purchases are X1, X2**, T4**s, T5**, W5**, and P50/70.

t. T520 owner
>>
>>58847512
I can't see too much reason to jump on a T560 right now. The price difference between it and a T550 (especially used) isn't justified by the other differences. If the T560 still seems reasonable to you regardless then the T570 isn't far off and will be better anyway.

>What are the good thinkpads to buy new?
Check the offerings for the X, T and P series. W series as well if your'e looking at second hand shit.

>>58847549
Getting screen compatiblity will vary depending on the screen. eDP>HDMI boards exist but none that I can find for 40pin eDP.

If you want a thinkpad keyboard then a DIY adapter is possible from what I've read, but it might be a pain to actually get hold of the connector for it. For a touchpad you could probably just find a slim USB one.

If you just reused a thinkpad or similar with a dead mobo then it shouldn't be all that expensive. You'd be able to re-use most of the parts later once you can fab your own stuff as well.
>>
File: gib.gif (5KB, 50x50px) Image search: [Google]
gib.gif
5KB, 50x50px
>>58848017
but i want fast shipping :D?
>>
>>58848071
That's a damn shame. I'll have to see what I can do later on, when I actually have income (currently in uni).
>>
Does anyone feel acompained by his Thinkpad firing up the ThinkLight in the middle of the night?
It's a strange feeling, but I like it.
>>
>>58833959
>/tpg/ meet
I met someone from /g/ already
Was fun.

But where are you?
>>
>>58841073
They have different mounting holes, -s fan and heatsink are smaller and are not compatible with non-s chassis. Otherwise, you can always look EVERY FUCKING THING IN THE GOD DAMN HARDWARE MAINTENANCE MANUAL, FAGGOT.
MODS, MODS, YOU MISERABLE JANNIES PUT HMM AND THINKWIKI LINKS RIGHT IN THE OP POST, YOU FAGGOTS
>>
Why do you guys love the trackpoint so much? I tried a few thinkpads before and the trackpoint basically just feels like controlling the cursor with a game controller thumbstick. It's worse than the trackpad, and it's utter dog shit compared to a real mouse.

I don't understand the hype.
>>
>>58844877
>not knowing the frog girl, the best girl
>>
>>58848221
I might at least have a crack at something similar myself. I have an E530 with a dead motherboard that I think I can convert easily, just a $25 AUD board for the screen, a new keyboard+touchpad which'll probably be about $20, then modify the palm rest and put something together to take the battery voltage from 11.1V to 5V. Should be reasonably cheap if just because I already have the laptop and RPi, but I paid $25 for the E530 for parts and long since got that much value out of it, and a chink RPi equivalent is as little as about $10. That's assuming my plans actually work though.
>>
>>58848543

If you get good at at, it's very accurate, quick, and allows your hands to never leave the home row. Very useful if you can touch type.
>>
>>58848543
It's hard to appreciate it just "trying" a laptop with one. I only tried making myself learn to use it after I'd had laptops that had trackpoints for years. It's worth learning just to never need to move your hands, but can take some getting used to.
>>
>>58848543
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUz0s7FO1Ec
It is not same as gamepad. Gamepads use analog sticks and TrackPoint™ is multi-directional pressure sensor. You can even measure weight and wind speed with this shit.
>>
Is there a better version of the X220t model? I like to have something like this for work related note taking and sometimes easy drawing instead of using my wacom tablet.

Also, is the T520 good for normies? I have a relative that needs a new laptop but I don't think she likes small laptops, is there a decent big monitored cheap thinkpad?
>>
>>58847512
P50/P70 specced out if you have $5k to throw around, W550 or T560 if you don't but want a 15" just because

X1C 3rd gen or X260 if you don't lift (too bad for soldered RAM)

T460 if you want a chinky macbook
>>
>>58848849
T520's good, yeah. I got my mom a T510 and it's been fine for her needs.
>>
>>58848954
Cool, I'll show her and see what she thinks. Or just wait and get one anyway.
>>
>>58848849
>Is there a better version of the X220t model?
Define better. There's the X230t for updated specs, but that was the last convertible until the Yoga lineup came around.

>Also, is the T520 good for normies?
It's alright. It's a bit heavy at around 2.3-2.5kg depending on configuration. 1366x768 screen belongs in the trash, 1600x900 is decent enough, and the original 95% gamut 1920x1080 display provides almost IPS tier colours.
>>
Anyone an idea why my T410's iGPU is not showing up, only the dGPU? Cant find a BIOS setting
>>
>>58849217
Most T410/T510s don't have Optimus. The dGPU models just have the iGPU completely disabled.
>>
>>58849217
Look the type number up and make sure it actually is switchable, because not all models support it afaik. Mine won't show the iGPU either
>>
Hey, I've been using a T60 for the last couple of years and now I'm thinking on getting a t420 or t430. Is the island style keyboard better or worse? I really love the old keyboard, it is noticeable the change?
>>
File: 1485473684854.png (343KB, 824x792px) Image search: [Google]
1485473684854.png
343KB, 824x792px
>>58842136
PLEASE RESPOND
>>
>>58849487
They made some dumb decisions regarding layout but for the most part it's personal preference. Ideally just find a store where can try it out.
>>
having a problem with drivers in my t420
>install win7 on t420
>t420 has nvs 4200m
>install geforce experience
>install driver
>restart
>can't change monitor to max resolution
>>
>>58850259
if you like function keys or dedicated keys like del/home/pgup/down it's not good
>>
>>58850372
>install gayforce experience
This is where you went wrong.
>>
>>58850382
If you use the trackpoint then the function keys are easier to hit in the new design in my experience. The new home/end/delete keys are similarly positioned but too far away to hit accurately since you're lifting your hand, and those (and the lack of back/forward buttons) are my main grievances with the new design.

>>58850372
You'll want intel graphics drivers as well.
>>
>>58850372
Get the proper driver, not geforce shit.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/114596/en-us
>>
>>58846001
>>58847750
It's the components inside that get rusty and eventually kill the computer.
Just take apart any computer thats been around water for a while, there's going to be rust somewhere inside it.
>>
>>58850483
I already downloaded that driver
>>
>>58850554
I think this tells me it's working properly
>>
File: 1467931441042.png (503KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
1467931441042.png
503KB, 700x560px
>>58850372
>not just using windows 10 and having it auto install your drivers
>>
>>58850745
>windows 10
>voluntarily installing spyware on my computer
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.