[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scrolling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

What is the superior way to scroll through a web page?

Page Up / Down keys? Mouse scroll wheel? Le thinkpad scroll button? Spacebar / Shift+ Spacebar?

Pls refrain from mentioning some autistic scrolling scheme used in emacs or whatever.
>>
>>58814537

wget -qO- http://whatever.com/ | less

then use CTRL-F and CTRL-V to page up and down.
>>
>>58814537
> what is the superior way to create shitty threads on /g/?
> caring this much about page scrolling

Jesus you guys are pathetic.
>>
>>58814576
Rolling
>>
Install Vimperator
Use HJKL
>>
I have worn out my arrows, otherwise a perfectly good laptop, the struggle is real.

reduced to space bar shit-snare, fuck that.
>>
Autoscrolling. I feel crippled when I can't us it.
>>
File: 1484662051330.jpg (17KB, 450x248px) Image search: [Google]
1484662051330.jpg
17KB, 450x248px
>>58814537
>What is the superior way to scroll through a web page?
with your fingers. everything else is pleb-tier.
>>
>>58814576
rollin'
>>
ThinkPad middle mouse button and trackpoint is pretty comfy.
>>
>>58814537
The objectively superior way are athena scrollbars. They're used in acme for example, but aren't found at all in recent software.
You can drag it like a normal scroll bar by using middle click + drag up/down.
But left and right click are used in an unusual but interesting way.
You can left click to scroll down and right click to scroll up. Your cursor position on the bar determines by how much you scroll.
This has the interesting effect that you can easily undo a scroll of any length.
>>
>>58814537
Autoscrolling
>>
Middle click scrolling
>>
>>58814537
i find myself switching between page up/page down and arrows all the time because my netbook have them squeezed between each other.

sometimes i use two fingers on my touchpad, which simulates the mouse scroll but i still prefer the keys.
>>
>>58814537
Logitech free scroll, got it on my G502. Had no idea how comfortable it would be until I used it.
>>
Good ol' scroll wheel.

>>58817082
>Middle click scrolling
I wish I could turn this off, honestly. I practically never use it, and almost the only time I ever activate it is by accident when I'm trying to open a link in a new tab and miss.
>>
>>58814537
Nigger, the best way is with Vimium.

k - up
l - down
K - previous tab
L - next tab
d - down half a page
u - up half a page

Typing this with Vimium right now.

Yes, I moved it by one to the right, but I find it extremely annoying having to move my hand one to the left. Fuck that.

Fuck emacs, this is the shit.
>>
>>58814537
This guy >>58821006 is on the right track. Unfortunately he's a chrome/chromiumfag. The real patrician choice in this case is vimperator. Although you can modify these bindings, by default
h - left
j - up
k - down
l - right
>>
>>58814537
Scroll Wheel
Two-Finger Scroll (Thinkpads)
Trackpoint Scroll (Thinkpads)
Arrow Keys
Page Up/Down

in that order.
>>
I use spacebar because my fingers are near the touchpad
Two finger scroll is too inaccurate
>>
>>58814537
>scrolling
Just ctrl+f where you want to go.
>>
>>58814537
Page up/down would probably be ideal if there were a trackpoint and mouse buttons just above the arrow keys on a standard keyboard.
>>
>>58821391
>Page up/down would probably be ideal if there were a trackpoint and mouse buttons just above the arrow keys on a standard keyboard.
Actually just set up some keybinds for page up/down browsing on 4chan;
ctrl+ pgup/down = previous/next tab (default, chrome)
ctrl + home = close tab
ctrl + end = refresh
ctrl + insert = double click (used to permit tab-cycling to nearby links)
ctrl + enter = open tab-cycled link in new tab (default,chrome)
Reasonably effective overall I think, if you've got a pretty fast key-repeat speed
>>
>>58814537
PgUp and PgDn is the patrician way to scroll, but only if you're using the num block.
>>
use the mouse to click and drag the scrollbars
>>
>>58814537
>touch
:^)
>>
LOGITECH® HYPER-SCROLLING®, AVAILABLE ON THE G502, G900, and MORE!

No but seriously that shit is the bomb.
>>
Middle click scrolling is brilliant. You can set it to scroll at a certain speed and turn it off when wanted. Generally working a lot with middle clicks.
>>
>>58814537
Autoscrolling is objectively the best generally speaking. It has an infinite about of granularity in scroll speed so you can easily go any speed you want, plus its highest speed far surpasses any other method except for directly dragging the scroll bar. Also because it is automatic it does not require any finger strain or use at all besides the initial click.
>>
>>58822888
Absolute madman
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmfTzpfwEEc
>>
>>58821814
linux is a kernel; it doesn't look like anything
>>
>>58814537
Two-finger scrolling on the trackpad of a 2015 Apple MacBook Pro with 13 inch Retina display.
>>
>>58814537
Just have enough monitors that you can view the whole page at once.
>>
Scroll wheel and Firegestures
>>
>>58818967

What browser are you using? In Firefox (and I think Chrome is the same) they call it autoscrolling so try turning that off.
>>
>>58824496
Chrome. I've not been able to find any option for turning it off, and as far as I know no such setting exists.
>>
VimFx for Firefox.

Best choice for true lazy scrolling/browsing.
>>
>>58814537
Whichever is more comfortable at the time.

For example, I was just scrolling through /g/ using my right hand to prop up my head, and my left hand to scroll with the mouse wheel. Later I'll probably lean back with my left arm over the back of the chair and use pgup/pgdn/arrows.

Spacebar is the worst though, because then you have to, you know, move your hand if you want to skip back. And no one has time for that.
>>
>>58814576
roll
>>
scrollwheel for normal browsing, arrow keys when my rand hand is busy cause i'm jerking off
>>
Both, Page Up/Down + Scroll Wheel.
>>
>>58814752
What I wish there was a momentum based motion. That way you can type a multiplier then scroll as if you flicked the page on a touch screen.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.