[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to start using linux insted of windows since it seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: linux.png (608KB, 1602x1199px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
608KB, 1602x1199px
I want to start using linux insted of windows since it seems to be good knowing how to use linux for work and better privacy. But I'm not sure what Linux I should use...
Does anyone have any advice?
>>
windows
>>
Try out Ubuntu first. You can even run it off a usb stick to test drive. It's super easy to install and pretty user friendly compared to other distros.
>>
>>58814192
In order of least to most stable: Fedora, OpenSUSE, CentOS.
Fedora is the most cutting edge of the three.
>>
>>58814279
This. Lots of people start with Ubuntu. After you get a general feel for it, you can use it for lots of everyday tasks. My dad gave me Ubuntu many many years ago after I expressed interest in Linux, and though it's changed since then, if 11 year old me could use it, so can you. If you aren't the biggest fan, the other beginner friendly distro I would recommend is Linux Mint. It's built on Ubuntu, but gives more options for out of the box configuration. I would only recommend kubuntu or xubuntu or other flavors after you get a good idea of what you want your system to do.
>>
>>58814192
hello,

work in this field, I would like to remind users gnu+linux is not a consumer OS! it is used in specialized areas of computing i.e. supercomputers, enterprise, certain areas of software development, networking and storage management (servers).

there are reasons for this which can be loosely categorized by 'externally' and 'internally'. externally, gnu+machines are easier to maintain, cheaper and more reliable. internally, the l-kernel itself responds and is better suited to the tasks I previously mentioned.

notice that these tasks listed are generally not consumer oriented! linux is taking great steps and leaps in trying to penetrate that market but as of today and tomorrow won't be a consumer OS. If you are interested in this type OS, use XNU! It is a consumer friendly.

thank you for reading!!
>>
>>58814192
Ubuntu, then Debian
>>
>>58814512
>unironically recommending linux malw... mint
>>
>>58814512
I've heard that Mint has some issues with the privacy, is Ubuntu better with that?
>>
>>58814192
Pick yourself https://distrowatch.com/
>>
>>58814544
I was just tossing it out there as an option for beginning to use Linux.
>>58814555
Ubuntu and mint aren't really about that. I listed them because they're both good places to start understanding Linux. In terms of privacy, fedora is much better, but just a tad less beginner friendly.
>>
Is Qubes OS, Debian or risquel good?

I read that it's good for privacy and such... but is it true? or is it just shit?
>>
>>58814527
Do you people pay to 4chan for your constant marketing spam?

Fuck off.
>>
>>58814544
>>58814555
Linux Mint don't have the privacy issues trolls claim. The website was hacked a few years ago when Mint topped popularity, probably by a rival. The only other claim is a troll linking to an article that doesn't show privacy concerns but a design the author don't agree.

TL;DR: Linux Mint "insecure" is a meme, Mint is good for noobs.
>>
>>58814192
Grab a handful of USBs.
Install Linux on them.
Try them out and see which one feels good to use.
>>
>>58814618
Qubes OS is one of the best, if not THE best for privacy. But is not noob friendly.

Trisquel has some problems with hardware compatibility because is free from binary blobs in the kernel, something noobs usually aren't concerned.

Debian is more friendly and generally usable, but are you really gonna try an intermediate distro and not a beginner friendly one?
>>
>>58814712
Ye it is. There was even a rollback. But you can't beat the meme.
>>
>>58814751
So maybe start off with Ubuntu and then go over to Qube OS when I can control Linux?
>>
>>58814770
Seems like a good plan, can't argue that.
>>
>>58814527
jeeeezuz christ all the copypasta

use Ubuntu, OP, then later switch to Debian
>>
>>58814840
Debian insted of Qubes OS?
>>
>>58814192
Debian. It respects your freedumbs.
>>
>>58814868
Don't use Qube. Distros that put an emphasis on security are generally not user friendly. A standard Debian is secure enough for the average user.
>>
File: 1471618568587.png (13KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471618568587.png
13KB, 602x500px
>>58814192
If you're coming from Windows, this is the only Linux that will make you stick with it.
>>
>>58814892
This.

Go with Ubuntu first or use Debian right away,
>>
>>58814892
>>58814868
Don't use anything that doesn't use the Debian repos and APT.
>>
What makes Debian so good?
Like better than Qubes OS.
Read that it should be really good.
>>
The 'usablilty' of any distro is mostly going to depend on which desktop environment you have installed.

I would suggest doing Debian and just installing all of the different environments it comes with, then switching until you find one you like..

If you're coming from Windows you'll probably like Cinnamon quite a bit.
>>
>>58814955
You can't even compare Debian to Qube. They use entirely different package managers and their focus is completely different. Qube is security focused while Debian is meant to be as stable as possbile so it can be used on machines that must never crash, for example servers.
>>
>>58815154
Okey, but I want to be as secured as possible in the end, so Cubes is the way to go for that?
>>
>>58815207
Wrong. You don't want it to be as secure as possible. These security focused distros sacrifice a massive amount of convenience to include security features the average user will never need.
I suppose you don't live in a country where they send you to torture camp if you google "Revolution"? That's what I thought.
>>
>>58815207
Ubuntu is secure enough. Certainly way better than Windows. Just make sure you don't use Unity.
>>
>>58814192
Ubuntu is a good starting place. It's basically easymode debian.
>>
>>58815292
It is and that's why I don't see a reason to ever use Debian on it's own. It doesn't even come with iwlwifi. I mean, that's just ridiculous.
>>
>>58815252
Yeah, no.. But doin "illegal" shit on the Deepweb and shit, don't want to get tracked down.
I've been looking into some VPNs and Encrypted emails aswell
>>
File: Kek.jpg (86KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
Kek.jpg
86KB, 612x612px
>>58814879
How did you theme Debian that way? I like Windows XP's default theme
>>
>>58815317
Then you should use Tails as a live system. You don't install a security based distro anyways.
>>
>>58815405
But doesn'r tails remove everything when you're done?
So that I have to reinstall the VPN everytime?
>>
>>58815427
This is true but it's part of the concept. That's why I think these security distros are bullshit. You can configure any Linux to be as secure as tails but without all the disadvantages.
>>
>>58815569
So I can run Ubuntu on the PC and have tails on an Usb?
>>
Not OP, but what Linux is good if I want to download torrents 'safe'?
>>
>>58815623
You can, but that's not my point. My point is that you can install Ubuntu and configure it to be as secure as Tails so you don't need to use Tails from a live USB stick and cope with it deleting everything all the time.
>>
>install distro of choice
>install DE
>try to change theme
>half of windows look like shit
gtk was a mistake
>>
>>58815648
I see, too advanced for me atm, I'll look into it When I understand Linux more
>>
>>58815707
If you want to understand Linux more you're gonna have to install a distribution. Use a VM.
>>
>>58815292
and Mint is easy mode Ubuntu
>>
>>58815640
Irrelevant, what you need is a VPN.
>>
>>58815777
How is Mint any easier than Ubuntu?
>>
>>58815809
Isnt safer to use vpn on Linux and downloading than on Windows?
>>
>>58815345
Most the information you need is listed in screenfetch.
>>
>>58814512
I like xubuntu a lot more than ubuntu desu

I've also found my windows using friends found xfce and kde easier than unity, it's super similar to what's familiar

just work your way up to arch or gentoo or whatever OP, it's a fun ride :DDDD
>>
Antergos is very user friendly if you want a daily use PC with easy updates etc etc. It doesn't fee like Linux, but if you're looking for a windows replacement its IMO the best Windows like distro. Its based on Arch.
>>
>>58815870
better build, style and no unity
>>
>>58814192
>But I'm not sure what Linux I should use...
4.9 is pretty good
>>
>>58814309
are you fucking daft mate?

this cunt says he never used linux and you go hurr durr get centos Xd

hope you're having a good laugh there mate cause I sure as shit am not
>>
>>58814192
I've tried a few of them and I'd have to say that if you're a mainstream user any debian branch distro would be good because of the number of mainstream programs that make debian packages
Specifically mint, as it has a really simple package and update manager and comes with a few good DE's
If you want to try something a bit more difficult there's openSUSE, Antergos or Fedora
>>
>>58815870
It just werks. But regardless of what Linux you get, if you're using wireless for internet, prepare for some wireless driver fuckery. Fucking Broadcom.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.