[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince me why I should open source my software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1486052228792.jpg (80KB, 593x578px) Image search: [Google]
1486052228792.jpg
80KB, 593x578px
>spend month writing software sacrificing all my leisure
>release it on github as open source
>some kike forks it, claims it as his own, releases on app store and profits
>become homeless because I can't pay bills

why would anyone open source anything unless they were being sponsored to do it? You have to be a tool to believe it benefits you or anyone but the people who exploit source code and use it to profit.
>>
Pretty sure that depends on the type of license you use for it
>>
>>58811493
>Convince me why I should open source my software
You'll get unpaid beta testers and bug fixes for free
>>
>>58811493
>some kike forks it, claims it as his own, releases on app store and profits
They can't, with a decent license.
Also, you can ask for donations, and the project would be good to show on CV.
>>
>>58811555
how would you even prove it since the app store version I rebranded is closed source
>>
>>58811516
>>58811555
hahaha nope
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5porzn/someone_is_selling_the_android_nify_xposed_module/
>>
File: PS4-Console-wDS4.png (35KB, 300x148px) Image search: [Google]
PS4-Console-wDS4.png
35KB, 300x148px
>>58811493
>Apache license
>he did credit
HURR DURR WHY THEY STEELL MY CODE.
WHAT NEXT SELLING LINUX OR MAKING closed source bsd fork PIC REL?
>>
>>58812276
>He didn't violate anything. The apache license says that you are allowed to do whatever you want as long as you give credit to the original aurhor/s. He did give credit and he is even allowed to sell it then.
Fucking retard, at least read whatever the fuck you link in your shitposts.
>>
File: linus.jpg (561KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
linus.jpg
561KB, 1280x809px
>>58811493
also for next time use gpl comme
>>
>>58811555
MIT, BSD and GPL lets anyone else sell your software. What is this "decent license" that you speak of?
>>
>>58812164
Yeah bump for this.

Who controls and punishes when someone doesnt respect the licence? Licence is just some text file you attach...
How does this works basically?How does it connects to physically track and punish the individual?
>>
>>58812326
>GPL permits this too. The changes have to be published, but you can still compile it and resell it - even with no changes.
Fucking retard, at least read whatever the fuck you link in your shitposts.
>>
>>58812164
Stallman himself.
>>
>>58811493
that depends what your software does. For example, if it interprets some obscure/proprietary file format with poor/no spec then it's only sensible for you to release it else you get hit by a truck and all of that content becomes unusable.
Same if it's a library or framework that other software will come to rely on.
But if it's just some shitty standard ios/android/mac/windows app then no one gives a fuck what happens to you or your software.
>>
>>58811493
be a kike with your own code
>>58811528
>You'll get unpaid beta testers
you get them anyway
>>58811555
>They can't
money to sue?
If you go open-source you're a loser and a jackass
>>
>>58811528
>unpaid beta testers and bug fixes for free
more like militant SJWs demanding you to instate thier CoC, and trivial patches to change stupid shit like master/slave to leader/follower
>>
Is it possible to make money from open source software in any way other than through donation.
>>
>>58812426
You file a civil lawsuit. Good luck doing that if you're poor or the violator lives in a different country, though.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.