[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kali Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: kali-dragon-middle.png (967KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
kali-dragon-middle.png
967KB, 1920x800px
Alright, /g/. I need help.

>inb4 gentoo

My system won't install anything via terminal.

I try the following command:

sudo apt-get install <plugin>/code]

but always end up with the error

E: Unable to locate package <plugin>

I've tried googling it, and every suggestion i've seen won't work.

Any advice?

>and yes, i'm new to kali
>>
Well the <plugin> obviously doesn't exist in the kali repository.
>>
What are you trying to install?
>>
>>58811241

that's what i thought too, but the plugin exists.

it's flashplugin-installer
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Can someone please explain the phenomenon of clueless retards always picking Kali?
Like how on earth someone new to Linux with the willpower to actually waste time and try it ends up on the Kali Linux download page?

OP can you explain your motivation behind choosing this particular distribution and not any of the widely recommended to people of all knowledge levels?
>>
>>58811303

I'm preparing for college. My major will be in cybersecurity.
>>
Kali is Debian based so you have to use a Debian package manager. Apt-get is for Ubuntu
>>
>>58811337

nice get.

apt-get works for some commands.
>>
>>58811303
>google "how to become hackerman"
>9001 tutorials by pajeets and 12 year olds installing kali linux
>>
File: _81763098_risitas.jpg (34KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
_81763098_risitas.jpg
34KB, 1024x576px
>>58811314
Yet you're too dumb to figure out that flashplugin-installer doesn't exist in debian's repositories which kali is based on.

Ubuntu has all the packages you will probably need throughout your course.

>>58811337
apt, apt-get, aptitude, synaptic are all frontends to dpkg.
>>
>>58811314
Learn Linux (with Arch/Fedora/Debian/Gentoo)
then learn Cyber Security Distros (Blackarch,Kali,...)
>>
>>58811396

alright, so don't be an asshole and just please tell me how to install flash and other plugins
>>
>>58811303
Mr. Robot
>>
>>58811427
Use a freedom respecting search engine and find out.
>>
>>58811427
I just told you.

Ubuntu comes with all these doodads by default (or at least offers them during the installation)

So install Ubuntu. If you've used kali for at least a day, switching to it won't hurt since basic system management (package management) stays the same.
>>
>>58811464

how about if i want to continue using kali. what do i do.
>>
>>58811464
Genuinly good /adv/
>>
>>58811482
https://get.adobe.com/de/flashplayer/
nice dubs
>>
>>58811518

downloaded. what now?
>>
>>58811482
https://lmddgtfy.net/?q=how%20to%20search%20apt%20repositories
>>
>>58811482
>what do i do.
Take a solid brick and hit yourself repeatedly in the head until you realize that by using kali you're limiting yourself to a sub-par distro with a 1-man team of maintainers and no hope of ever getting support for it.

Kali was meant to be run off of livecd in an emergency situation.

Make your life easier and install Ubuntu/Ubuntu LTS or a spinoff of it.
>>
>>58811194
check your repos..you got rolling release ?
>>
>>58811536
I think my Grandma could do this Better
try left clicking
>>
>>58811536
follow the included instructions.
>>
Jesus fucking christ

I'm a windows-using consumer who has only brushed with loonux a handful of times, and even I'm not as retarded as this moron

fuck
>>
>>58811536
Reconsider your career choice buddy.

If you really have to be walked through opening a file called "readme.txt" and scrolling to the "how 2 install" section then I have bad news for you
>>
>>58811314
lol faggot
>>
>>58811482
you're a fucking idiot if you think that you're about to be using Kali for years until you get to college. You're going to drop out of CS in your first year anyways, so it's irrelevant.
>>
>>58811536
you are a fucking idiot
>>
File: 1447101566609.jpg (66KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1447101566609.jpg
66KB, 600x451px
>>58811314
idk what school you're going to but the cyber security guys at my uni, literally made fun of someone for using Kali until he dropped.
>>
ITT: helpless underage faggot who likes Mr. Robot doesn't know how to use google
>>
>>58811303
It's literally the logo
>>
Kali isn't meant to be installed. It's meant to be used on a usb drive. Idiot. Go role-play as mr. robot somewhere else.
>>
File: 1472042077042.jpg (20KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
1472042077042.jpg
20KB, 552x414px
You don't need to use sudo for Kali right? It literally means "super user do" but in Kali you're already logged in as root right? So it that not pointless?
>>
>>58811194
All you need to do is Google "xyzpackagename debian install" and look through the first 10 results. Are you fucking retarded? It can't find the package probably because it's not in the repos, or you fucked something up. If you're trying to install it on a live system, you double retarded. If you installed it, you're triple retarded. I have a feeling you installed it. Check the sources.list to make sure everything looks alright. Then update it, you stupid fuck. Here, I'll hold your hand:

"nano /etc/apt/sources.list"

After checking that, update:

"apt update"
>>
>>58811194
Say you want to install an application, but you don't really know correct name of the package.
What you do is you search for it.
Say you want to install a spreadsheet application.
You can use either of these commands:
apt-cache search spreadsheet
apt search spreadsheet

You get a list of results you can use.
A result might look like
gnumeric/xenial,now 1.12.28-1 amd64 [installed]
spreadsheet application for GNOME - main program

The name of the application is the first part (gnumeric) then you get distro version (xenial) and then version and so on.
What you need is the application name.
To install it use either:
sudo apt-get install gnumeric
sudo apt install gnumeric

Now it is possible that you are still unable to do this if there is a change between your cache and the server.
To update the cache use either:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt update

Same thing you do before applying upgrades:
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt upgrade

apt being the new one with better output and shorter names apt-<tool> is the old one.
>>
>>58812155

Thanks for the actual help. I got this result, and it didn't install flashplayer

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
flashplugin-nonfree is already the newest version (1:3.7).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1927 not upgraded.
>>
>>58811721

Montreat College. They use Kali all the time.
>>
>>58811427
>install flash and other plugins
These are consumershit plugins that kali maintainers wouldn't bother with bro

I'm fairly sure it says on their site that kali is highly customized and a lot of normie software is unsupported due to this. If you want an everyday distro use something else.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.