[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentoo installs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 268
Thread images: 15

File: Gentoo Linux Wallpapers (3).jpg (92KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo Linux Wallpapers (3).jpg
92KB, 1600x1200px
What percentage of /g/ actually uses Gentoo?

What is the rough installation time of Gentoo for /g/ users?
>>
>>58810488
No one actually used gentoo. No one wants to use a distro that is even more of a timesink than arch. It's just a meme to get rid of the kids who come here for tech support questions.
>>
>>58810507
It's a bit of work to set up but maintenance is leagues easier than Arch. Stability is better and if you have any demands that warrant using anything other than Debian it's probably what you want.
>>
>>58810488
Doubt it's very high. The most popular Linux distro used here is almost certainly Android.
>>
>>58810557
Only because Clover is so comfy anon.
>>
>>58810545
I have never actually used Gentoo, so I don't know if this is true, but
>don't you have to compile the packages yourself
>>
>>58810592
Simple and painless on modern multicore machines.
>>
>>58810592
see
>>58810616
>>
I tried it once, but couldn't find good tutorial to full disk encryption, so just installed Arch.
>>
I run it because I like portage
>>
>>58810704
I tried that once, but couldn't find good tutorial to full disk encryption, so just instaleld Ubuntu.
>>
File: too smart.jpg (124KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
too smart.jpg
124KB, 764x551px
>>58810488
>tfw too smart to install gentoo
>>
There's something funny about booting the LiveDVD to install and having no loss of functionality in the LiveDVD environment while installing the OS.
>>
>>58810488
I'm a complete newbie and it took me a few tries and a couple of hours (~8 hrs) to navigate both the manual and the forums and install the base package. The only part I'm stuck on is installing a DE. The X server stuff confuses me.
>>
>>58810488
I got to the partitioning part but it was a little too much so I just watched anime instead
>>
Im using it.
>>
I've used debian, manjaro, ubuntu, mint, kali, fedora and antergos but i would NEVER try to install arch let alone gentoo. it's such a time waster.
>>
>>58810863
On arch you can just
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-server-utils i3
, edit a config file, and boot into a comfy tiling wm :^)
>>
>>58810488
Gentoo is the Dark Souls of /g/.
It *is* harder to install, but not needlessly punishing.
>>
I do. A warning:

You MUST learn how to configure your own kernel, this takes hours if you don't know how to do this. You can use genkernel's default configuration to start with, but it will build a terrible kernel and may not even support all your hardware/software.

Compilation of certain packages (like Chromium) may take hours even on a fast processor.

When upgrading GCC, I rebuild every single package on my system. You can choose not to, and many people will argue otherwise, but if you don't do this it can cause problems. This usually takes at least 12 hours of compiling and I have a very fast processor.

You must learn how to use portage or else you will end up with a completely messed up system. Learn what your world file is and how to keep it clean. Learn how to use USE flags.

Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system, don't be a retard.

>>58810592
Who are you quoting?

Yes you have to compile every package yourself, except of course for packages which are written in a language like python/perl, and there's a few packages that offer binary packages like firefox-bin and libreoffice-bin.

>>58810704
It's exactly the same as Arch, you could have even used their documentation.

Only difference is when creating an initramfs you would have to add the --luks option to genkernel, for example:

genkernel --luks --install initramfs
>>
>>58810592
Yes, but the only time this is an issue is when you're first setting up your environment. Other than that, you can install a package and do something else while it's compiling
>>
>>58810488
>Neo /g/ doesn't kniw how to install and use gentoo
It was once a right if passage to this website. God I hate /v/edditors
>>
>>58810953
>Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system, don't be a retard.

big bait
>>
File: let_me_explain.jpg (57KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
let_me_explain.jpg
57KB, 550x413px
>>58810953
>Use systemd, you need systemd for a working modern desktop system,
You went full retard there. The whole point to gentoo is to get a full clen system without crap like systemd in it.
>>
File: 1485913621916.jpg (41KB, 600x656px) Image search: [Google]
1485913621916.jpg
41KB, 600x656px
>>58810953
>fell for the gentoo, amd, awesome, gayming, anime, and systemd memes
>>
Chromium is a pain in the ass, takes around 90 minutes on a xeon e3-1241v3, Firefox (especially with PGO) and libreoffice take a loot of time too.
Beside that gentoo is quite comfy.
>>
>>58811052
>>58811060
Why? the most distros uses systemd anyways
>>
File: 1485918053539.jpg (272KB, 953x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1485918053539.jpg
272KB, 953x1200px
Less than 1%.

It takes about an hour or two of actual work if you've done it before and everything goes smoothly. Most of that time is spent double checking the handbook.
>>
>>58810592
>don't you have to compile the packages yourself
This is misleading. The package manager downloads source code and compiles it for you.
>>
>>58810863
You were supposed to pick a profile with a DE during installation. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Choosing_the_right_profile
>>
>>58811052
>>58811060
You will not have a working modern Linux desktop without systemd.

Stop being retarded, this is why I don't like /g/.
>>
>>58811183
I don't recommend this, you shouldn't be using a DE until you really know what the hell is going on under the hood.
>>
The last big survey I did, no more than 4-5% were using it. Most people were on Ubuntu, followed by Debian then Fedora.
Ubuntu has more people using it than the nearest 3 distros PUT TOGETHER.
>>
>>58811192
shitty bait senpai
>>
>>58810953
How do you go about configuring the kernel? Looking up your hardware and finding which modules you need to support it? Have you ever had to compile a new kernel for an existing system to add support back in? Have you ever just loaded a kernel module instead?

Is the handbook the best guide on portage?
>>
>>58810953
>Yes you have to compile every package yourself,
No, the package manager does that.
>>
>>58811192
>You will not have a working modern Linux desktop without systemd.
>modern
Who cares?
>>
>>58811200
You're probably right. I think the reason things didn't work out is because I did genkernel and chose default USE flags. Perhaps shameful but I just wanted to force it.
>>
I used it for about a month. The install took awhile but was actually relatively painless. Then I tried to update all my packages at once and everything broke.
>>
>>58811200
That's very spartan of you.
>>
>>58810953
that shitty font rendering
>>
>>58811261
It's not shameful. You'll have better luck "forcing" it for a minimal install which you can later upgrade how you'd like. If this is the only machine in your house it might be wiser to install something else and practice in a VM.

>>58811275
Someone who doesn't know how to set up xorg is not gonna have a good time using Gentoo.
>>
>>58810953

This all said, do you think there are strong advantages to using Gentoo?

I'm an Archcuck and have contemplated trying it out, is it worth learning the ropes?
>>
I'm running it.
Portage is love, Portage is life.
>>
>>58810616
>>58810979
It sounds painful on my ancient machine. I can't install gentoo, it would be a bigger waste of time than arch.
>>
>>58810488
I use gentoo on all my devices. Takes about a day to install the first time, but when you know what you're doing it only takes half an hour. Still more than other distros, but you gain so much by using gentoo that even if it took 5 hours to install I'd still do it every time.
>>
>>58811227
There's help options in the kernel configuration that are helpful most of the time.

Configuring a kernel can be very difficult and there's still options that I'm changing after years.

You can use lsmod on a working system to see modules that are loaded, and then make sure you have support for them built in your kernel. But even that's not enough, you just have to learn a lot of things from building your own kernel, and learning what preforms better.

For example you will find options to enable Intel P State or ACPI Cpufreq, a typical user wouldn't know what performs better so they wouldn't know what to do. (ACPI Cpufreq performs better)

>>58811239
I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. I didn't think I had to explicitly state that the package manager automatically compiles the package, and that you don't have to manually enter build commands, is there anyone here who actually thought that?
>>
>>58810951
>dark souls
>hard
>not needlessly punishing
>>
>>58811348

It's worth it if you have patience and really want it. It's not superior in every case for every purpose but you may be spoiled by things like use flags if you give it a try.
>>
>>58810488
It is actually a pain to install, but after that almost never breaks.
Almost a year using it. No complains.
Took me to install 4-5 hours, newfag btw
>>
>>58811339
echo 'INPUT_DEVICES="libinput"\nVIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa nvidia"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf
emerge xorg-x11
startx

Oh god its so hard to setup xorg durr durr its easier in Gentoo.
>>
>>58810545
>leagues easier than Arch
could you set any lower of a bar?
>>
>>58810507
installation and setting up takes time but keeping things uptodate is literarily just 15s of my time every few weeks (or months if i'm not really that arsed about it)
>>
>>58811395
don't you have to compile the whole system from source when you install though? I don't think I have any devices that can compile even a minimal headless system in half an hour.
>>
>>58810953
You don't need systemd for anything.
>>
>>58811283
You're probably not even viewing the image at native resolution, probably so retarded you're viewing the image downscaled and then saying that the font rendering is bad.

I will help you newfriend. Open the image in a new tab, and left click on it.

>>58811348
For most packages, you have multiple packages available for install, for example there is many versions of Wine which you could choose from: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/wine

Particularly the 9999 version, that means installation from git. There is many packages you can build from git whenever you want. On binary distros you get one version of one package, period.

You can disable certain features you don't want through USE flags, which will prevent unwanted packages from being pulled in.

You can compile everything with custom CFLAGS which provides a small performance boost over other distros. Compiling every piece of software on your system with -march=native -O2 (or -O3)

It is very flexible, you can edit ebuilds to work around issues manually.

It's fun. I have fun using Gentoo.
>>
>>58811534
No, the minimal base system is provided by the stage3 tarball. Only kernel and bootloader need to be compiled.
>>
>>58811534
30 minutes including compiling the system using a core2duo P8400 (2.26GHz).
>>
Kernel Config was always hell for me (particularly for the device drivers part) until I figured out my process.

>sudo lspci -nn
>Look up device on http://cateee.net/lkddb/, install anything mentioned

That's the only way I managed to do it without checking the help files for every option
>>
>>58811573
yeah, i'm not going to believe that
>>
>>58811599
Ah so you're just a paid shill. Have a free (You) then.
>>
File: so_good.png (66KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
so_good.png
66KB, 659x609px
>>58810488
>>MFW since I installed Gentoo on my new laptop just before NYE.

Took me a week to set up, but I didn't have any experience with dm_crypt, LVM and SSD's.
Also, never had to configure Bumblebee, Xorg and proprietary drivers for Intel/NVIDIA optimus. Apart from that it was not that hard.

But overall, totally worth it. Most stable GNU/Linux distribution I ever used. (yeah I know, but this meme statement is actually true).
Xubuntu gave random errors, Arch sometimes gave me a kernel panic's out of nowhere, but Gentoo... It's stable, fast and the system you want it to be.

Does take some times compiling of course (even with SSD and Skylake i7). But you can still use your computer in the meantime. Also portage makes it able to use multiple versions of a program easily.

Use it happily as my daily OS.
>>
>>58811618
I have a P8600 X200. I've compiled things on it. What exactly do you define by "system" if it takes you less than 30 minutes to compile it.
>>
>>58811699
You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

Anyone with even a passing familiarity with portage knows that the @system package set in a stage3 tarball is going to take more than 30 minutes on a P8400.

There is no ambiguous wiggle room like durr my system is more minimal so its faster, it isn't. That shit includes gcc.
>>
My first install took like 5 hours, but I also went the GNOME + systemd path which apparently compiles both webgit-gtk and webkit-qt - which take about an hour each.
You'd think the kernel is the thing that takes the most time, but no...
>>
>>58811664
Same for me. Mint and Ubuntu keep crashing for stupid reasons. Gentoo is nice and smooth.
>>
Always takes me two days to have a usable system.
>>
>>58811722

PORTAGE_BINHOST="https://Local.Build.Server/packages/"
>>
>>58811722
>when you're such a flaming faggot that you don't realize you're agreeing with the person you're flaming
I seriously hope you get AIDS and die.
>>
>>58811412
git gud
>>
>>58811699
He probably meant a kernel that exclusively includes the modules he needs, grub, a minimal system shell, openrc X and some window manager. I can imagine that only taking like 30 minues.
Then again this system is completely useless, unless your hobby is to let some package manager compile software for you.
>>
File: record-2017-02-05_12.46.05.webm (959KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
record-2017-02-05_12.46.05.webm
959KB, 1920x1080px
Also this is what an update looks like when you haven't done it in 18 days.

>>58811790
Do you think I should feel some kind of kinship with some fat autist lying about how long it takes to compile shit on his piece of shit thinkpad?
>>
>>58811806
>He probably meant a kernel that exclusively includes the modules he needs, grub, a minimal system shell, openrc X and some window manager.
That's pretty much all most /g/entoomen need. All that's left is the web browser, emacs, and a media player.
>>
>>58811806
system on Gentoo is @system and a Gentoo user referring to compiling his kernel and system that meant something else is a moron.
>>
>>58810488
I have this setup:
>Arch on laptop (want to install void)
>Debian on rpi (want to try *bsd)
>Windows and gentoo dualboot on main rig (gentoo currently not working, I'm trying to not install xorg, but I want tiling and is a pain in the ass)

Gentoo is the best distro for full autist, but it's awesome
>>
>>58811846
>you are a moron if you want your system actually do something that's not running the IDLE task
>>
>>58811784
what's the point of using a distro built on the principle of compiling everything for each system if you just end up using precompiled packages?

>>58811814
My only thoughts of you are delightful visions of the nightmarish hell that awaits you in the next life when you've used up all the time you have in the nightmarish hell that is your life now.
This is what a faggot looks like when he crosses the event horizon
>>
>>58810953
> I have a very fast processor

Umm, no you don't. Most packages aren't built to compile with different cores in parallel. 4 core CPU with higher clock rate >>>> 8 core system with lower clock rate
>>
>>58811870
That bitch doesn't use a binhost he has a freaking X200 hes probably too poor.
>>
>>58811814
>4.7.1

That shit isn't even in the tree anymore. Step it up senpai,
>>
>>58811814

loser
>>
>>58811870

For example, my VPS shits itself if it tries to build some big things PHP or GCC.
So I compile them remotely and just distribute the binaries.

If you're using several similar systems, there is no point of compiling the same shit over and over again.
Makes setting up new systems faster as well.

Of course, this only makes sense if you're not poor and can afford more than one computer.
>>
>>58811897
You can compile several packages at the same time.
>>
I've used funtoo/gentoo for about a year give or take a couple years back in uni. They're both great distros, use debian-stable tier packages by default, and binaries are available for extremely large programs such as firefox or libreoffice. You can even go full FSF and reject all proprietary software in portage by setting a use flag. Maintenaince wasn't too bad, but once you go back to a binary distribution you realize how easy everything is.

Nowadays I use debian because it's less to maintain and life has gotten busier. I'll eventually give it another go.
>>
>>58811800
Perhaps you mean to say "git bed" because if you're even remotely non-shit the game is a massive slowpoke grindfest and nowhere near hard, unless you consider fighting the controls, the camera and the bugs part of the game.
>>
>>58811918
please don't use some imaginary fantasy of me as crutch to make yourself feel better about your miserable existence. at the very least, come say it to my face. and try to be civil so i don't feel the need to exercise castle doctrine.

>>58811992
i understand the principle. i do this whenever i need to build something that isn't in the main SlackBuilds.org repo or I need a different config or whatever. I have a headless multipurpose box for shit like that. i just assumed that the whole point of gentoo was the autism of compiling everything specific for each machine. why not just distribute official binaries for it?
>>
>>58811897
>Umm, no you don't.

Check benchmarks for that processor, it's 5 years old now and still performs just as well as brand new $200 (what I paid for it in 2012) intel processors.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

I guess nothing is "very fast" except $1000+ Xeon 2011 socket processors.

>Most packages aren't built to compile with different cores in parallel.

Are you claiming that GCC's multithreading doesn't work well on >4 cores?
>>
>>58812054
Debian is significantly more maintenance downtime than gentoo
>debian
>sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
>oops 5 billion conflicts because half the libs are deprecated/changed/removed even though it's """stable"""!

>gentoo
>sudo emerge --sync && sudo emerge -vuDN world
>it literally just works unattended and without further input
>>
>>58812081
>Are you claiming that GCC's multithreading doesn't work well on >4 cores?
Just because it multithreads doesn't mean it has 4x speed up. Fuck this board.
>>
>>58812074
Nobody cares but you, its anonymous.
>>
>>58812185
> its anonymous
> uses a tripcode
>>
>>58812074

> the whole point of gentoo was the autism of compiling everything specific for each machine

Nah, the performance gain from compiling everything natively is negligible on modern hardware and especially VMs.
The real magic is in the USE flags, allowing you way more control of what you end up compared to binary distros.

Why build things into your packages you're never going to use just to increase attack vectors?
Want to switch from openssl to libressl/something else?
Want to replace glibc with musl?
Building from source got you covered.
>>
>>58812206
Tripcode is anonymous you turd mouth.
>>
>>58812174
Did I claim that?

Those extra 4 cores are from hyperthreading anyway. Even so, show me a faster 4 core CPU.
>>
>>58812246
kek, where does anonymity begin and end then? Might as well argue that putting your real name is anonymous too then, since it's just an alias for your person.

> turd mouth
I wanna hug you.
>>
>>58812217
USE flags are a necessary evil when you build everything from source, I think what makes Gentoo so flexible is the ability to use whatever version you want, masking newer versions of software so you don't break compatibility with software you are currently using while maintaining an up to date system is something you can only really easily do with portage.
>>
>>58812130
horrible package management systems aside, isn't it a little ludicrous to believe that recompiling all of your package upgrades from source will be faster and use less resources than upgrading from binary packages?

I like how you guys are comparing Gentoo to Debian and Arch. I think it was Бacтa who said "Being #1 among faggots doesn't make you a leader".

>>58812185
>it's anonymous
says the namefag

>>58812217
>disagree with me
>explain why you agree with me

I'm not going to argue against the utility of custom builds, but that's not something exclusive to Gentoo. Like, the reason I even go to Gentoo threads is to try and figure out if it's worth trying it or if it would offer me no practical benefits over Slackware but I would have to learn a new build system and package manager and I happen to really like the one I use now.

>>58812246
>implying (anonymous === pseudonymous)
>regressing to insults that reflect your mental age
>>
File: 1485873223761.png (105KB, 883x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1485873223761.png
105KB, 883x1024px
>>58810507

fpbp
>>
>>58812342
>ruski
>doesn't understand english
checks out.
>>
>>58812342
You can't deconstruct anonymity in such a way, I could make the argument that anyone typing their own sentences isn't anonymous because they are identifying themselves. Psuedonyms and call signs are used specifically to remain anonymous, pretending to discern between using the identity Anonymous and another identity such as a tripcode is just a pedantic knee jerk reaction, the base emotions boil down to insecurity and childishness on your part, which doesn't bother me in the slightest as I am anonymous.

:3
>>
>>58812217
This. Just try getting vim with python3 support on ubuntu, for example. It's a single config away on gentoo meanwhile.
>>
>>58811192
In my experience you can do pretty much everything with an openrc install of gentoo that you can do with a systemd install

What does systemd bring to the table apart from needless expansion

Genuinely curious
>>
>>58812301

You can mix and match with dpkg too.
It just sucks.

>>58812342

> but that's not something exclusive to Gentoo

Portage makes this REALLY easy.
I don't know about the current state of Slackware, but if it's more complicated than typing a line like
> app-emulation/libvirt virt-network qemu parted nls numa lxc lvm fuse uml pcap iscsi
into a file and then let Portage worry about dependency resolution and building everything, it's less practical.
>>
>>58812418
>>58811192
Needless abstraction*

Autocorrect nightmare
>>
>>58812418
Well, personally I use the systemd.automount and systemd.mount with davfs and sshfs to handle transparent mount points with sane dependency handling.

I use the improved session handling and sandbox capability with systemd-nspawn which is far superior to chroot.

libvirt with virt-manager, which basically is THE gui frontend for kvm and spice requires systemd.

Plenty of new features that just BTFO what you would normally be doing with openrc, it only seems daunting until you try it and realize how much better it is.

Just stop listening to the political autistic drivel that people sling at systemd and try learning to use it.
>>
>>58812506

> libvirt with virt-manager, which basically is THE gui frontend for kvm and spice requires systemd.

This is a lie.
>>
>>58812557
Only if you want to use an old version patched to run without systemd.
>>
>>58812506
Also GNOME needs it :^)
>>
>>58812557
This. Gentoo does not have this problem.
>>
>>58812573

Old meaning 3.0.0?
From, like, last week?
>>
>>58812081
Benchmarks are irrelevant for compiling. They only give you information about how fast really it can get, but whether GCC and the packages are configured correctly to push to that limit is another question.

It's not a GCC issue for that matter. Package maintainers need to configure their packages to allow for multithreaded builds, but a lot don't.
>>
OP, notice that every gentoo user in this thread has animu wallpaper. This should tell you everything that you need to know.
>>
>>58812272
I betcha the 6700k with a 4.5 clock will compile faster than that xeon
>>
>>58812692
I actually don't. For a whole month now or so!
>>
>>58812653
afaik you will run into permission errors trying to use virt-manager with libvirt without systemd.

I haven't tried it since like 1.4 so if that has changed I wouldn't know.
>>
>>58812782
Misspoke, was probably around 1.0-1.2
>>
>>58812673
>Package maintainers need to configure their packages to allow for multithreaded builds, but a lot don't.

MAKEOPTS="-j8"

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MAKEOPTS

>GCC and the packages are configured correctly to push to that limit is another question.

What exactly would the packages configure? This has everything to do with GCC, and when I compile any package I'm using 100% of my CPU on all cores.
>>
>>58812782
>backpedaling this hard
Classic. As expected of !BE/c4nc3r.
>>
>>58812805
I'm not gonna switch to openrc just to prove a point dude.
>>
>>58812782
You'll also run into permission errors while trying to mount USB flashdrives from file managers, and run into audio permission issues.
>>
>>58812832
Nope.
>>
>>58812782

> permission errors

Run that shit as root as only that guy should have the right to fuck with your system.
There's also polkit if you're into fetish stuff.
Or Hyper-V.

>>58812819

> it's ONLY working with systemd
> you got it working, but that's just some hacky OLD shit
> there were some obscure errors I couldn't figure out years ago
> I'm totally not back-pedalling guys
>>
>>58812904
So post a video of you using virt-manager as a user, starting a vm, and using the spice viewer to connect to it.

And somehow prove you don't have systemd installed.
>>
>>58812932
>And somehow prove you don't have systemd installed.
/var/lib/systemd not existing is usually a good indication.
>>
>>58812932

I'm not gonna set up a recording environment just to prove you're a retard.
>>
>>58812959
Would be super easy to do if you weren't lying.
>>
>>58810953
>using mpv to view image
wew
>>
>>58813076
name a media viewer that can display jpg, png, gifs and webms
>>
>>58812439
"dependency resolution" is the biggest Slackware meme, but:
- if you're using the "second-party" build manager, it automatically resolves dependencies if you use it correctly
- if you're getting compiled packages from official and community repos, I would say the time/machine resources saved by not compiling usually outweighs the "time" "spent" "manually resolving dependencies" (again, very simple to automate 95% it on the fly using shell tools). I get that for lots of small things it might be hardly any difference at all, but are you really going to rebuild $BROWSER or Xorg every time there is an update?

>>58812398
>I could make the argument that anyone typing their own sentences isn't anonymous because they are identifying themselves.
You could but your argument would be wrong and you're still missing the point that "anonymous" and "pseudonymous" are two different things. When I repeatedly bring up Slackware any time there is a discussion of any distro, or call you a fucking faggot piece of shit every time I see you post in any threat whatsoever, I'm not identifying myself. You are identifying connections between anonymous posts and creating some identity for me. If you were attentive, you may have even picked up my local username and hostnames when I post screencaps and desktops and shit. But the whole point of an anonymous messaging board is to enable communication without intrinsic egocentricity as a method of promoting egalitarian social cohesion and free expression.

If you go out of your way to bruteforce some weeaboo faggy tripcode, you're doing it because you're an attention whore. Attention whores are not anonymous, because they are entirely concerned with their identity and making sure everyone else concerns themselves with it as well. And then when you repeatedly make a total bell-end of yourself, people will have a convenient identify in which focus all their hatred of you.

tl;dr - KILL YOURSELF
>>
>>58812997

Fine.
Can you recommend some simple screen recordign software without botnet?
>>
>>58813141
gthumb
>>
>>58812997
Have you heard of funtoo? or USE-flags?
https://lavidadeunronin.wordpress.com/2015/04/19/instalar-una-vm-con-qemu-libvirt-y-virt-manager-en-funtoo/ there's one.
>>
>>58813191
ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 5 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -c:v libvpx -crf 40 -qmin 28 -b:v 0 output.webm
>>
>>58813269
Sorry I missed saying "that is not gThumb". I have it installed, but I hate how it doesn't integrate itself into the rest of my window manager (KWin) but _has_ to use that new retarded gtk3? window layout/border thingy.

It also sorts files strangely when opened within a directory. Also, afaik, it's not possible to completely hide the interface when viewing images or videos.
>>
>>58811192
NSA pls go.
>>
>>58813286
>ffmpeg
Totally botnet!
>>
>>58813076
Yep, it actually makes a very good image viewer when configured properly. I uninstalled Eye of Gnome.

mpv --profile=image

[image]
force-window=yes
hr-seek=yes
image-display-duration=inf
input-conf=~/.config/mpv/input-image.conf
loop=inf
loop-file=inf
mute=yes
no-keepaspect-window
reset-on-next-file=mute,video-pan-x,video-pan-y,video-zoom
script=~/.config/mpv/autoload.lua

input-image.conf

1 repeatable playlist-prev
2 repeatable playlist-next
3 set mute no
` cycle video-unscaled
ENTER cycle pause
ESC quit
DOWN seek -2
UP seek 2
LEFT repeatable playlist-prev
RIGHT repeatable playlist-next
MOUSE_BTN3 add video-zoom 0.1
MOUSE_BTN4 add video-zoom -0.1
SPACE repeatable playlist-next
TAB set video-zoom 0 ; set video-pan-x 0 ; set video-pan-y 0
a repeatable add video-pan-x 0.05
d repeatable add video-pan-x -0.05
s repeatable add video-pan-y -0.05
w repeatable add video-pan-y 0.05
q seek -1
e seek 1

Edit autoload.lua to include image extensions:

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autoload.lua
>>
>>58813381
lol I already knew he wasn't serious. I didn't wanna play into his trolling by suggesting simplescreenrecorder.
>>
I have gentoo on my old as shit computer. 2GB DDR2 ram and a Pentium E6500. Shit takes days to compile, last system update took maybe 37 something hours, which is rather decent considering it also recompiled Firefox and Libreoffice.

Is there any noticeable performance difference? No, not really.
Did it take a shitload of time? Kinda, took a couple of days to first boot into shell and then couple more to have a full WM setup.
Was it worth it? Probably.
Do I regret it? No way.
>>
>>58813396

Currently setting up the VM and recompiling ffmpeg with vpx support though
>>
>>58813449
I'm waiting with baited breath.

(get it lol I'm so clever.)
>>
>>58813449
I very strongly suspect you will run into problems with virt-manager but am honestly curious if it actually will work.
>>
>>58813415
Did you setup parallel fetch and parallel build? They can significantly speed up compilation times. You can also try to compile with -Os instead of -O2, as I recall it significantly reduces compile times.
>>
>>58812803
No retard, it has to do with race conditions and making the build process deterministic enough that when a thread gets to let's say opsmom.c that includes a dick.h, dick.h and dick.c have finished compiling in the same or another thread, or else the build will fail. Pick up a CS book once in a while
>>
>>58813617
That is entirely unnecessary. That's a linker problem. You should pick up a "How does C work" book.
>>
File: spicy.webm (443KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spicy.webm
443KB, 1920x1200px
>>58813539

I have no idea what I'm doing, but you're going to move some goal posts again, aren't you?
>>
>>58813855
Well you kinda ignored the "prove you aren't using systemd somehow"
>>
>>58810488
I used it for a while, but compiling shit is really annoying. I use antergos, now.
>>
>>58810488
I used it. Ubuntu at least let me do my job.
>>
>>58813923
What about the OpenRC output at the end?
>>
>>58813923

$ inxi -I
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
Info: Processes: 298 Uptime: 22:18 Memory: 19565.0/31116.5MB Init: SysVinit rc: OpenRC runlevel: default
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.4

Not enough?
I can cat my package.mask and do some eix systemd if you want...
>>
>>58813979
>>58813923
I think he got you, TURD BREATH :^)
>>
>>58813855
omg ein deutscher im so proud <3
>>
>>58813979
If you don't have systemd or elogind installed I'll just take your word for it.
>>
OP here

First install failed. No boot device on reboot. Why does stage3 not come with the Live DVD or does it and I missed it?

Second attempt now.
>>
>>58814028
Probably build filesystem driver as module, not as built-in.
>>
>>58814022

Just plain OpenRC.

>>58814028

If it's a VM, missing iSCSI drivers for storage are also a possibility.
>>
>>58814096
>>58814172
Or, in case of modules, simply no initrd.
>>
>>58811400
>ACPI Cpufreq performs better
Do you have any info to back this up?
On kernel 4.9.7 and haswell CPU Intel P state (performance profile) seems to be par with ACPI if not even slightly better.
>>
>>58814172
Bare metal install. ASRock z87 Extreme4 ASM1062
>>
>>58814247

cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > wewlad
genkernel --kernel-config=/usr/src/linux/wewlad --bootloader=grub --install all

From chroot with /boot mounted, assuming you are using grub.
>>
need help boys

how do i emerge 9999:0 packages?
>>
File: lll.jpg (22KB, 204x240px) Image search: [Google]
lll.jpg
22KB, 204x240px
>>58810488
Unless you have a separate computer on a normal OS that will be able to connect you to Google to troubleshoot every questions and problem you will have, then Gentoo is a pain in the fucking ass and not worth anyone's time except for basement dweller's who say they've installed it on their Tinder profiles.
>>
>>58814816

package.accept_keywords (or package.keywords)
=your/package-9999 **
>>
>>58814816
Put them in /etc/portag/package.accept_keywords

Like this:

media-libs/mesa **
media-video/mpv **

Should install 9999 next time you emerge those packages, but maybe you might need to emerge them like this:

emerge =media-video/mpv-9999
>>
>>58814897
whats the difference btw?
between the repo weechat and the git?
>>
>>58812782
Has nothing to do with systemd or openrc, if you ever used Linux you would know that.
It's just as simple as adding user to group and set permissions in the qemu.conf and your done.
>>
>>58814816
media-video/ffmpeg **
media-video/mpv **
>>
>>58814920
if you are using ~* there is no defference
if you are using stable the latter enables you to install unstable package
>>
>>58814932
>>58814910
>>58814897
thanks
>>
>>58812932
>systemd user can't figure out how to use gnu/Linux
This is what systemd makes users completely clueless about their OS.
>>
Just that we are at it, is there a sane way to install an up to date version of libguestfstools? Version 1.28 is stone age old and is missing a lot of useful things like virt-sparsify.

Someone should also tell me what's wrong with typing root password when opening virt-mamager.
Even on fedora 25 and redhat you are prompted for password.
>>
>>58815712

There is nothing wrong with it.
If you're the only user, not typing a secure root password saves time though.
>>
that's great and all but the real question is:
gentoo or funtoo?
>>
>>58816316
funtoo for better profile system and git by default
>>
>>58816705
>They both sucked because of systemd.
No they didn't, they just suck, systemd is awesome.
>>
>>58816730
Boots super fast and refreshes stale init mechanics with better features, demystifying all of the rc script hoodoo and making it easier for developers to provide a standard way for service management, which previously was openrc.
>>
>>58816337
you can use git on Gentoo too..
>>
>>58816977
rsync -> emerge git -> rm -rf /usr/portage -> git
>>
How do you set up portage to git sync? I read it's discouraged because it will put a lot of load on one server or something.
>>
>>58817236
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo
[DEFAULT]
main-repo = gentoo

[gentoo]
location = /usr/portage
sync-type = git
sync-uri = https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
auto-sync = yes
>>
>>58817236
>>58817261
btw don't use https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo and https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/gentoo.git
>>
>>58810488
I can have the kernel booting in about an hour.

Probably about another hour for the rest of the setup.

The only reason I'm not using Gentoo right now is because the Qualcomm Atheros NIC chip my motherboard has isn't supported very well in Gentoo.
>>
>>58817296
It should be supported no worse than in any other distro desu senpai.
>>
>>58810488
I've used gentoo for a while now. LOVE IT!

A bare bone installation doesn't take such a long time. A couple of hours. But I spent a couple of days I think configuring everything to my liking. But a lot of that time were research. You learn a lot when installing a Gentoo system. :)

I wouldn't recommend it though if you have a weak CPU. The compile times could get really long.
On a 4 core i7. I don't think compile times are an issue though.
>>
>>58811571
Everything is compiled from source based on your USE FLAGS in your portage config file.

But most people don't know how to use the USE FLAGS properly, so the "omg, but I compile shit from source because I use Gentoo" is pretty much null and void.
>>
>>58811599
If he's experienced and can fly through the steps I believe it, because I can do it in an hour myself.
>>
>>58817281
what/why/how?
>>
>>58810759
>>58810953
>>58811086
>>58811272
>>58811385
>>58811664
>>58811773
>>58817296

i have a question: why do you have to compile so many programs, if some of them actually come as binary anyway? i mean im pretty sure you can install steam on gentoo without compiling it, then why am i forced to compile other stuff?
>>
OP here.

2nd attempt was close thanks to almost not having network adaptor.

Build took 1.5 hrs and X and amdgpu extras took another .5 hr. Using a E3-1230v3 and an old 7200RPM disk.

Only have dillo and jwm atm but it's enough.

What does red vs blue mean in the USE flags?
>>
>>58816705
try void, it uses rinit and it's pretty great.
>>
I always give up after compiling chromium a couple times.
>>
>>58818538
Why? Just keep using it as it compiles and restart Chromium when emerge has finished
>>
>>58811052
what the fuck is wrong with systemd
>>
>>58814846
I think this statement would work even if you're trying to install Windows.
>>
Debra + Ian >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>**POWERGAP**>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everything else
>>
I'm running it. It takes an afternoon.
>>
>>58810488
>What percentage of /g/ actually uses Gentoo?
Roughly 0.1% I would say.
Even Gentoo itself is not very popular, so to say.
Many of /g/ visitors/posters use Windows.

>What is the rough installation time of Gentoo for /g/ users?
I used Gentoo for years, it takes around 20 minutes.
In that time you get a working minimalistic desktop.

From that on, only your programs and your hardware matters.
Since the major DEs suck today, and you would pick XFCE/LXDE/Cinnamon/MATE, I would say it would take around 6-8 hours to compile everything on a semi-decent CPU.

My Q6600 compiled KDE3 and 4 for 10-12 hours.
But you can just use your PC meanwhile. Get a browser, a music player, whatever, and then you just compile in the background.
>>
>>58821175
I would still just use FreeBSD in 2017. You can use pkg_add for comfy package installation, and you can also use Ports. Yeah, on Gentoo you have overlays, but they are a pain in the fucking ass. Venturing into testing and unmasking shit is also a sure way to fuck up your system.
>>
linux noob here, what does compiling the kernel do?
>>
>>58821469
Well, you make a kernel for yourself. That you can run.
Kernel is like the heart of your system.

On most distros you get a normal "generic" kernel that just works.

So.
- A generic kernel means the kernel will load everything you need, work with everything just fine. It is not small, but it only means a +1-2 seconds at boot. So virtually nothing.
- Jobless neckbeard fucks tend to "custom compile" their kenel, as in they turn off features they "don't need". This does not result in a faster system or whatever, just adds to the neckbeard factor. It is used in the embedded industry, where you have a single hardware, and you need the smallest size possible. In that setup, it makes sense to "custom compile" a kernel.
- You can patch the kernel, and make a version of that. But that is rarely if ever required.
>>
>>58810488
>how long does it take
For a newbie to linux in general, probably like 2 hours tops to get to the login shell.
>>
>>58821469
it allows you to have ASLR despite no other distro enabling it, which blocks 99% of exploits.
>>
>>58810488
Easily 33%, probably around 50%.

about 2 hours.
>>
>>58810488
I should try and install again on my iBook.
>>
>>58821469
Compiling the kernel is more or less compiling the basic system.
Like you know how in a car people might tweak the mechanical parts of it, swap some wheels, etc? That's like changing software for your computer. Some relative hardcores will actually fuck with the wheels or whatever on their own, that's like modifying open source software you install on your compter.
Changing up the kernel is like opening up the actual engine.
>>
>>58821578
>>58821530
>>58821496
So there's literally no benefit?
>>
>>58821584
aslr is a great benefit
>>
>>58821584
>so there's literally no benefit
You can just compile it like a default anyway, you don't have to fuck with it endlessly. If you want to fuck with it you probably want to know what you're doing unless you want it to blow up in your face later.
>>
>>58821595
Who is going to utilize that to view your collection of Japanese 2D girls?

>>58821600
kk
>>
>>58821584
No.
Only if you need a special version of it (due to security hardening, or some other patch), or you build an embedded system.

>>58821595
> 99% of exploits
That's bullshit.
If you run scary binaries, just use Firejail, or KVM.
ASLR is also enabled by default, so don't really know what you are on about.
>>
>>58821584
>being immune to exploits is not a benefit
rly mks u thk
>>
>>58821606
>literally not enabled anywhere except in hardened gentoo as demonstrated at FOSSDEM
>enabled by default
>he thinks firejail does anything
>he thinks kvm is even remotely viable and isn't exploitable too
rly mks u thk
>>
>>58821608
Where did you hear this meme?
SELinux and Tomoyo, AppArmor - these are supposed to protect you.
ASLR? WHO the FUCK is going to mess with addresses and shit?

You can just fucking throw out a simple binary to any torrent site, make it ask for root password, and 99.9% of the fuckers will just enter it anyway. So WHY?
This is some tinfoil hat wet dream. (And it's also wrong desu.) ASLR is not that useful.
>>
>>58821618
>WHO the FUCK is going to mess with addresses and shit?
hax0rs
>>
>>58821618
>WHO the FUCK is going to mess with addresses and shit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return-to-libc_attack
>>
>>58821618
Bonus: Every serious exploit in the past years that ever came to light (keep in mind you will never ever meet these on your regular ricer shitbox), has been able to bypass ASLR on all platforms. It's a nice meme though, upvoted.

>>58821624
See my reply. They don't have to.
1) You are a regular joe. You meet a regular virus. You type in the superuser password - or it uses some easy privilege escalation - boom. No address fuckery.
2) You are some super powerful super wealthy guy with some top secret server. They will just write a virus for you, that will fuck you over anyway. If you have the reason to be scared, just pull out the cable. Literally the solution they use in real world.
>>
>>58821636
>See my reply. They don't have to.
I was being ironic
>>
>>58821636
>You type in the superuser password
Found your problem
>>
>>58821631
This is "real"... how?
You can encrypt the users files without even root password.
And heck, most users don't even use a password to their "keychain" so you can access all their passwords anyway.
The regular desktop environment has so much more problems and holes.. this is the smallest thing you should worry about.

On a desktop if you are paranoid, use Firejail and buy an anti-virus license. It is more than nothing.
On servers, just don't run all kinds of unknown binaries. (though, repos have been hacked in the past, lol.)

>>58821645
Sorry, just thought its the guy who jacks off to aslr.

>>58821660
See top, you reach all the files of the user without password.
Then again, the user will type in the password anyway.
He WANTS TO RUN that binary.

It's like the "administrator dialogue" on Windows.
Find me a person who ever pressed "no" - by no mistake.
There is none.
>>
>>58821636
Not sure if clinically retarded or merely pretending.jpg
>>
>>58821675
> memes are the solution, mom!
>>
>>58821681
>he doesn't like memes
>>
>>58821618
>reality doesn't real because muh feefees
Kill yourself, retard.
>>
>>58821684
> feefees
Oh god, some art student with a memeology degree!
>>
>>58821618
No those things will only protect you half IF you configured them, grsecurity+PaX will do kernel& some userland protection.
>>
>>58821746
Indeed.
You need THOSE things SET UP, _AND_ a tight grsec+pax patched kernel.

And well, now you have a barely usable system. Which will never meet an exploit in it's life.
But hey, it's really fucking cool how safe it is. And how you can't open files, and work.
But it's cool.

In work environment or production servers, indeed grsec+pax is required.
But we are mainly talking here about desktops.
And yeah, I just use virtualization.
If the fucker can escape from there, pax/grsec with or without ASLR won't stop it either.
>>
>>58821778
Hello NSA.
>>
>>58810488
i would if there were not so many flaws and gotchas in the god damnedest longest install procedure of any Linux distro,

i rather use Slackware, installs easy and runs great
>>
>>58821851
a keylogger can just run fine with all of those.
>>
>>58821778
You can have a perfect working workstation without lots of trouble with gentoo hardened.
Pax+grsec helps alot if you use virtualization, they just released full CFI hardened kernel with RAP.

https://grsecurity.net/rap_announce_ret.php
>>
>>58821863
Whatever you say, smelly dumb nsa shill.
>>
>>58821863
So how are you going to install a keyloggers remotely without using any exploit?
You'd have to exploit first to be able to install keylogger unless you have access to the system but there are other methods for dealing with that.
>>
>58811391
Gentoo has binhosts you can set up.

I use Calculate Linux, a branch of gentoo that includes one.

I just love Portage too much.
>>
>>58811897
Yes they fucking are
Compile a package and check the usage on all of your cores. Unless you messed with a setting you shouldn't have they should all be in use
>>
>>58810488
>using a literal meme OS
>>
>>58821673
>Find me a person who ever pressed "no" - by no mistake.
>There is none
i do that a lot
>>
>>58821900
Remotely? No one installs a keylogger remotely.
That's only in movies, son.

In real life you just lure them to a site, to a link, to an executable.

> free XXX porn viewer
> dolphin.deb
> poof

> Firefox 51.0.9 deb
> dude installs it
> poof

> you won 1$ pajeet email
> click
> poof

And the list goes on. Social engineering is now 99% of the job.
It's just not worth to develop a simple virus for targeting normies.

>>58822342
Yeah when you are drunk, then you get pissed why it does not work, start it again and click yes.
>>
>>58822369
doesn't work like that in Linux, Windows users sure but Linux users only use the repository or if they are advanced enough to compile from source but usually you gpg verify it before install.
There is no need to install from any untrusted source on Linux because there are repositories however in Windows you don't have a repository and than you'd be stuck with installing random exes.
>>
>>58810488
Planning to use it shortly, migrating from 8.1 to Gentoo as my first Linux install. I just hope it works with old-school gaming and won't mess up my Let's Play channel.
>>
>>58810783
>to
Kys
>>
>>58822433
>but Linux users only use the repository or if they are advanced enough to compile from source but usually you gpg verify it before install.
Bullshit.
They double click every .deb or .rpm they come across.
Heck, I would bet you a 100$ if I put out a malware - they would compile it themselves just to get what they want.

They have NO idea what they are doing, NO idea what is happening.
They want to get software or thing X so they do everything.
You overestimate people.

Think about how Android users get infected.
The malware hand-guides them through how to enable insecure downloads, how to install APK and so on.
AND THEY DO IT.
Why? Because they want X.
>>
>>58822447
>gentoo as my first Linux install
No anon don't do it
At the very least dual boot
If you mess up - and you will mess up a few times - gentoo can be more difficult to troubleshoot as a newbie than most other Linux distros despite the high level of documentation.
>>
>>58822487
Never seen people doing that running Linux, might be more of a Windows thing.
Android has a terrible system, also majority of all android phones are still vulnerable to 1 year old exploits.
>>
>>58822547
I am not that crazy to rely on just a Linux install I have never touched before, it is the main reason I haven't switched yet. I need a laptop, potentially with good cores to compile the OS, as a test environment. Hardware acceleration gets disabled in a VM environment, so it is worthless to me. Dual-boot could work, but I would worry about something getting altered and messing up both installs.
>>
>>58822586
You should keep a dual-boot until you get used to it for a few months just in case shit goes really fucking haywire and you need somewhere to go in the meantime
Like I mean it, you can easily lock yourself out of everything if you, for example, mess up startx.
>>
>>58822583
Been using Android since 4.0. Never had a virus/malware/whatever.
It's more that the "security companies" try to make a living.
If they can hype up an exploit to get a logo and all that, their name gets famous. (see Zymperium)
>>
>>58822645
>android had the most CVEs in 2016
It's not "security companies" trying, it's actually pretty easy to pwn android phones that didn't have security updates for awhile.
And usually the user doesn't know he has been pwned and carries on with life unless you dump the memory & reverse shit you have no idea if there is malware on your device.
>>
grsecurity developers are a bunch of obnoxious childish faggots, their shit is not included in mainline kernel and I don't trust them.
Fuck those niggers.
>>
>>58822745
well if the malware does not cost me money, does not eat battery or cpu or ram or anything...I doubt then that there is really a malware.
>>
I run gentoo, mostly because fuck systemd. use flags are well, useful. If i dont want opencl in mesa. then just -opencl. Thats literally it desu
>>
>>58823626
On my first Gentoo install, I put the system use flags as + everything I could possibly want. I had X11 with +DVD I was 12 and retarded. Now I'm 18 and retarded, so I use arch to make me feel smart.
>>
>>58823280
That's not their fault, mainline didn't want to include the way grsecurity devs wanted it.
>>
>>58823691
if you play DVD's then whats stupid about that
>>
>>58823702
They violated GPL, banned and insulted people on social networks and much more.
Not being included in mainline because they refused to follow the rules of the project they would like to submit patch to (that's alone is enough to label them as retarded kids) is just the tip of the iceberd.
>>
>>58823720
I compiled xorg to be able to save configurations to DVDs. I put on EVERY USE flag, libgl Mesa was network connected. Firefox had openrc, sysvinit, and systemd files. Bash with SMTP.
>>
>>58823898
hahaha wow, may I ask why and for what purpose, they arent enabled by default are they
>>
>>58823840
Inform yourself https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/59020/why-are-the-grsecurity-patches-not-included-in-the-vanilla-kernel

Security cost alot of time & changes to code, guess what mainline developers don't like.
Also you see that noone has ever taken the time to port specific patches to mainline now that is happening slowly but yea alot of things existed 10years ago already and now a few people are taking action.
>>
>>58818129
You aren't "forced" to do anything. You can install binary packages compiled by other people if you so desire.
You're just retarded. That's all there is to it really.
>>
Portage is life.
>>
File: x61.png (112KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
x61.png
112KB, 1024x768px
And runs like a champ on a thinkpad.
>>
>>58824787
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2016-06/msg00000.html
They are not included in mainline because they are retards just like you are.
>>
>>58824728
They aren't enabled by default. Gentoo has no defaults. I blindly checked yes on every fucking option. Cuz I was 12.
>>
>>58825414
Stable patches are support afaik, the testing patches are just welk testing no support or anything.
The only thing is RAP which is under GPLv3 and all within the GPLv3 License
https://grsecurity.net/rap_faq.php
>>
File: 25354354524.jpg (81KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
25354354524.jpg
81KB, 500x500px
>>58822483
tfw you cant tell whats a meme and whats real anymore
>>
Gentoo is old and deprecated.

Install Solus.
>>
>>58822487
You're wrong on so many accounts.
First off most people are compromised via EXPLOITS. YEP.
EXPLOITS. Browser exploits, media player exploits, archival software exploits, pdf reader exploits, whatever. EXPLOITS.
Address layer randomization, privilege seperation, access control, position-independent executables, etc. ALL PREVENT A GOOD MAJORITY OF THESE EXPLOITS FROM WORKING.
In fact the United States Government's DARPA can't even compromise machines accessing their child porn servers if the nigga is using MEMORY PROTECTION.
Compromising users via SOCIAL ENGINEERING isn't nearly as effective anymore unless you're targeting dumbass business users.
Most home users won't even click a fucking imgur link without getting all suspicious of your motives. Better yet download a fucking executable file and run it which is why real niggas have plop up exploit packs on compromised web servers and those exploit packs suck shit if your web browser doesn't have a JIT and your kernel is harder than my dick while looking at PTHC
>>
>>58824993
Nice music and os taste.
Thread posts: 268
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.