[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Network help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Media network 2.jpg (75KB, 1038x599px) Image search: [Google]
Media network 2.jpg
75KB, 1038x599px
Help me out /g/. I'm moving to a new place and need to know if there's a comfy way to stream media from PC or NAS drive to TVs in other rooms.
Pic shows layout of devices. There is quite some distance between rooms but there's a conduit from study to bedroom and study to living room.
What would you suggest I do to have access of media I store on a NAS drive from TV and preferabbly also control TV with a remote or keyboard/mouse to play and search for media?
>>
>>58809952
assuming you have smart TVs or devices hooked up that are DLNA compatible, there are several DLNA servers available you could run on your NAS
>>
Buy wifi router with USB 3.0 port, gigabit and media server.
Buy external USB 3.0 HDD.
Plug the external usb 3.0 hdd into the router.
Enable media server on the router. Share media folder.

Gigabit will make file transfers from PC faster.
That's it.

Streaming from PC I don't think it is possible.
>>
>>58809952
Ethernet cable. Maybe chinese powerline adapter.

TV access by chinese htpc, windows intel or android arm.
>>
>>58809952
Just get an HDMI splitter and 2 long HDMI cables. Remote in to your PC with a tablet.
>>
>>58810024
Streaming from pc is possible, even from smartphone is possible.
>>
>>58810024
So I dont need to keep PC on at all times? I can just stream directly from HDD attached to the router? Thats would be great!
>>
>>58809952
Cute flat, mate. Would ware you out and skimp on the Uber fare
>>
>>58810043
I had that idea but I dont wish to use tablets or smart phones and also spend a lot just for HDMI cables which I could invest in some better gear.

>>58810100
It's 52mtrs long. I was thinking of using a segway
>>
>>58810140
>I had that idea but I dont wish to use tablets or smart phones
So are you going to walk to the computer every time you want to turn something on?
>>
>>58810153
My idea is to maybe buy a media player for each TV and control that with a mouse/keyboard or remote that will have access to the HDD in the study room, but I don't know if it's a plug and play thing or there are certain brands that work only with specific devices.
Ideally I will not stream/remote view from the PC
>>
>>58809952
a tp link n600 will do the trick(with open wrt ofc)
put it near your modem or in the hall install a nas or a disk or whatever mass storage you want on it (wifi/cable doesnt matter) prioritize the routing so that you dont fuck up the speed with useless load and voila
>>
>>58809952
The networking part is simple, connect everything to the same network. Since the distance is somewhat large, you should definitely use cables. I'd use cables even if they were close, WiFi has no place in devices which aren't portable.

As to actually playing media, that depends very much on what the TVs are capable of by themselves and what you want to achieve in terms of usability, quality and price. If they're "smart" TVs and support Plex or Emby, you could set up a server on your PC/NAS for those and things should work pretty well. You could also use some DLNA server if that is supported and if it works right with those TVs. My personal experiences with DLNA are pretty shit though. If the TVs can play everything straight from a network share (unlikely), you may not need any sort of media server at all and can just point them to your Samba/NFS share.

Then there's the option to get some external players, ranging from cheap little things like a RasPi all the way up to a complete HTPC. You will be able to find a box to fulfill whatever need you want, whether it's Plex/Emby, direct network share streaming, Kodi or anything you want. Personally I'd aim for a box which can direct play everything and can run Kodi, then I'd use an Emby server for library management and syncing across devices.
>>
>>58809952
Are TVs "smart"? If yes, connect them to a router with NAS capabilities, if no, then use a NAS-mediaserver-mediaplayer and HDMI-to-Ethernet converters for long wires.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.