[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best linux distro for home use and why is it Arch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (181KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
181KB, 1280x720px
What is the best linux distro for home use and why is it Arch?
>>
Thought that was Slackware.
>>
>>58808131
It's arch for sure. Rolling release is cool and the aur makes installing pretty much anything easy mode.

That said, arch is dropping x86 support soon. What should I install in my old machine?
Was thinking about fedora, debian or maybe void.
>>
>>58808131
>arch is dropping x86 support
Personally when I can't use Arch then I go with a Debian net install.
>>
>>58808142
I don't understand Slackware. Why is it presumed to be advanced? Don't they have a package manager? Or how do they install software?
>>
>>58808131
>arch
Lol if you're going to use pre compiled binaries you might as well stick with Ubuntu.
>>
>>58808131
Look mom pacman raped X11 again!
>>
>>58808455
The purpose of using Arch is because out of the box you literally just have a kernel and nothing more, so it is very lightweight and minimal. I haven't installed Ubuntu in a while, but I'm pretty sure out of the box it has a ton of preinstalled garbage that you pretty much can't avoid installing.
>>
>>58808496
>MOOOOOOOOOOM. CANCEL THE SUPER BOWL PARTY... PACMAN BROKE MY ENTIRE FUCKING ARCH INSTALL. FUCKING TIRED OF THIS SHIT MAN.
>>
>>58808142
Fucking this.
Slackware rules!
>>
>>58808131
arch is simply the best. I only had to spend four hours installing my OS. That was after the installation commands fucked up my Windows partitions several times. Then i ran pacman -Syu the next day, and what do you know, my kernel is broken! So I rereformat the usb into an archiso so I can fix my computer, taking another ten minutes. After all of that, I installed my AMD driver. Oh, wait...
>>
>>58808131
well it's 2017, can anyone give me a single example of arch being used for something productive?

>>58810230
>it is very lightweight and minimal
the arch base is 1GB just like ubuntu's
>>
>>58810230
>lightweight and minimal
>arch
STOP TROLLING ANON IT'S NOT WORKING
>>
>>58808347
They are? Looks like it's time to install gentoo...
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.