[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that dial-up is still big in the US?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: the_internet_on_one_disk.jpg (151KB, 543x570px) Image search: [Google]
the_internet_on_one_disk.jpg
151KB, 543x570px
Is it true that dial-up is still big in the US?
>>
>>58808015
Not to my knowledge
AZ fag here
>>
>>58808015
Not here, and I live in the Detroit area.
>>
It's extremely rare, but it technically still exists.
>>
>>58808015
Over 2 million dial-up subscribers still in the US, which is about 1% of households. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/05/12/verizon-will-pick-up-over-2-million-dial-up-subscribers-in-aol-deal/
>>
>>58808015
How dumb do you need to be to even consider this as the truth?
>>
No but hundreds of thousands of people still pay for dialup because they believe they're paying for their email address. AOL collects over $100mil from people who use to have dialup but upgraded to cable believing that if they canceled the service they would lose their aol email address even though they're two different services and aol email is free.
>>
>>58808264
Yeah but how many of those are cheapskate small businesses that still use dial up for their card readers?
>>
>>58808015
Yea somewhat, people who live literally in the middle of no where that anything suburban looks urban in comparison

Doesn't help that ISP's don't innovate to improve speeds because of their duopolies
>>
>>58808330
Dial up is pretty widespread for card readers but only as a backup for when the Internet goes down. I've never heard of it actually being the primary connection.
>>
>>58808015
Unless you still live in the year 2001.
>>
>>58808403
I'm going to visit New York this September.
I'm very excited to see NY from the top of Twin Towers!
>>
>>58808341
Also most card readers are connected to the computer. If the business was smart then they would have had used Microsoft Dynamics and then transfer the transaction report to the server during closed hours instead for the dial up to connect before the card reader could be used.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.