[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What web browser to use on linux? Does anyone actually like Ubuntu?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 10

What web browser to use on linux?

Does anyone actually like Ubuntu?
>>
>>58805363
I switched to firefox today. It's not really half as bad as /g/ shills make it out to be.

I don't like Unity because it's kinda slow.
Posted from Xubuntu
>>
>>58805363
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>58805378
thanx 4 the bump
>>
I use Chromium, but it's always this bitch that gets tearing depending on how the stars align that day.

I like Ubuntu, I think that it's fairly stable and pretty compatible. A lot of people scream botnet at it, but I think it's alright. Unity for me works faster than Gnome 3 and has fancy shit that just werks, such as the global menu. Other than that, I don't know. It's alright I guess. I'm using Ubuntu MATE right now and I'm thinking about using Unity and putting some time into ricing it (knowing that it's not as customizable as the rest).
>>
>>58805392
what can you even rice on unity lol
>>
>>58805363
chrome, firefox [spoiler]i prefer chrome cos i use google ecosystem a lot, spoilers not work on /g/ i suppose[/spoiler]
yes, ubuntu is very popular
>>
>>58805399
You can change the icons and the theme, you can make that taskbar appear at the bottom if you wanted as well or hide it. Change fonts. You can even add a classic menu if you wanted.
>>
>>58805363
theres no fubar for linux you poser
>>
>>58805511
There's a thing called WINE, but...

why someone would use Foobar over WINE is a mystery to me.
>>
>>58805573
>why someone would use Foobar is a mystery to me.
FTFY
>>
I prefer chromium. It's what firefox tries to be done right, so why use firefox?

I don't like ubuntu myself, but I do recommend it to friends. I use arch w/ kde because of pacman, aur and rolling release, basically.
>>
File: 1478835281477.jpg (62KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1478835281477.jpg
62KB, 480x640px
>>58805363
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58806288
Lol hilarious post dude. Someone should copy this into notepad and repost it every time someone says Linux on this board!
>>
>HDDS dies
>Get new HDD
>try LMDE on the new HDD
>No Problems
>CPU at 10% when FF is open
>Ram at 25%
>try Ubuntu on the new HDD
>Hurr durr CPU at 100% when playing YT Video in FF
>Ram at 40%

Explain?
>>
>>58805363
Use ubuntu but not Unity , Gnome on laptop and xfce on desktop , I use chromium
>>
>>58805363
yes i actually wont use anything except ubuntu cant wait for unity 8 and i will swich to buntu forever
>>
>>58805374
Though it will be garbage this year.
>>
Opera 12.15
>>
>>58805399
you can install i3
>>
>>58805363
I kinda like it, but the default UI is garbage. Use firefox on any OS.
>>
Unity be good enough
>>
Ungoogled chromium. Never used Ubuntu but if I did I'd probably (depending on hardware) use unity. Looks like a polished desktop that takes no shit, within which you can actually get work done.

I use fedora but all of the spins are fairly shit so I put i3 on it.
>>
>>58805618

Hmm yeah, why would somebody use the most customizable / light weight player....well guess I'll delete it since /g/ said it's not cool enuf@!!11!!
>>
>>58805363
Ubuntu is fine as a distro, but the Unity desktop spies on you, so I wouldn't use it. I just use Waterfox on all operating systems, and the default CM14 browser on my mobile. Waterfox is just a more free version of Firefox. Be sure to install AdBlock Plus and HTTPS Everywhere.

Pic related is the extensions I have installed right now (same on all computers except for the theme).
>>
File: 09.jpg (41KB, 584x386px) Image search: [Google]
09.jpg
41KB, 584x386px
>>58806568

>Be sure to install AdBlock Plus

He means install ublock origin / umatrix
>>
File: isac's fourth pc.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
isac's fourth pc.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>58805363
fuck it, this thread is now about desktops
>>
Nightly version of Firefox.
>>
>>58805392
I hate to break it to you, but Unity is basically a riced out GNOME 3
>>
>>58806581
That works fine as well. I just prefer AdBlock Plus.
>>
>>58806607
You can't be serious. Why would you prefer adblock plus over ublock origin? Retard.
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>58806691
Because it just works and it's easy to use. There's no need to be an aggressive ass because someone has a different ad blocker preference, you autist.
>>
>>58806831
It's objectively worse in every respect -- you are retarded. While there is no need, it's plenty fun to point out stupid choices to stupid people.
>>
>>58805363
i use chromium on linux because i'm used to chrome on windows

not a huge fan of ubuntu but it's what i have installed because of its popularity and support (read: support from third parties who basically mean 'ubuntu' when they write 'works on linux')

i'm not a serious user or anything though, just have it installed on a spare pc to experiment with and see what desktop linux is like since the last time i ran linux on the desktop was 2004 (gentoo with xfce)
>>
>>58805363

i like ubuntu only for unity for the top menu.

I use firefox.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170205_153515.png (2MB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170205_153515.png
2MB, 3840x1080px
>>58805363
Kubuntu with standard chromium for standard browsing.
tor privacy.
I use it because kde >> windows or any other de.
>>
>>58806837
>It's objectively worse in every respect
Instead of insulting me like the child you are, try explaining your side of things like an adult.
>>
>>58806880
Why are linux music players so fucking terrible
>>
>>58806881
> Instead of insulting me like the child you are
And yet you obviously need my help to do basic research on this topic.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock#performance

Just scroll down beginning from that point in the readme. It's kinda pathetic that you weren't able to do a single Google search yourself to find the information you are looking for. You'll stay stupid that way, you know?
>>
>>58806568

Unless you disable it. You can even verify that it's doesn't send package anything.
>>
File: 069 - ugrLVgh.gif (1MB, 353x260px) Image search: [Google]
069 - ugrLVgh.gif
1MB, 353x260px
>>58805363
I use firefox and Ubuntu.
>>
>>58806912
Well, I'm not interested one bit in switching ad blockers and I'm not interested in researching it. If you want me to have the information, you can copy and paste it here. You're so fucking autistic. You're like those SJWs who send you a link to some blog post when asked to explain their reasoning because they don't have the brain power to use their own words.
>>
>>58806943
>I don't care.
Then fuck off, stupid faggot.
>>
>>58806943
> Well, I'm not interested one bit in switching ad blockers and I'm not interested in researching it.

Then why are you even replying?

> You're like those SJWs who send you a link to some blog post when asked to explain their reasoning because they don't have the brain power to use their own words.

The section I linked are literally images of graphs, not text. You are making a parody out of yourself.
>>
>>58806929
It shouldn't be that way by default. GNU/Linux is supposed to respect user freedoms. Unity fails to do this, which is disgusting. It's a decent DE, I just don't like it because of how it treats users.
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58805363
>What web browser to use on linux?
GNU Icecat
>Does anyone actually like Ubuntu?
No. Unity sux.
>>
>>58806961

That true but i'm not able to use any other DE that have a top menu i'm to much use to it.

If i can disable it is enough.
>>
>>58806149
>I use arch w/ kde
I'm trying to get used to KDE, but it's a struggle.
>>
File: reddit circle jerk.gif (647KB, 293x200px) Image search: [Google]
reddit circle jerk.gif
647KB, 293x200px
>>58806953
no u

>>58806956
Explain simply in one sentence why I shouldn't use it. This is really easy. If you need to beat around the bush to get your point across, it's probably shit.

Example:

I use AdBlock Plus because it's easy and it works.

>Then why are you even replying?

I like to watch you get ass blasted over things as simple browser extensions. Do you know where you are?
>>
>>58806568
Memes. Don't listen to this fag. You can easely disable all the "spying" shit in less than 30 seconds. And amazon search isn't enabled by default.
Also
>waterfox
Shit. You're better off using firefox or firefox nightly.
>>
>>58807034

I completely forgot that they disable it now holy shit.
>>
>>58806989
If you want to use it, that's up to you. The whole point of GNU/Linux is that the user should be free to use their machines however they please. But I will suggest that you not use it because what Canonical is doing is wrong. Unity is non-free software, because it abuses the user.

>>58807034
As I've said before, it's not about whether you can disable it or not. It's about the principal.
>amazon search isn't enabled by default
Has that changed? When I tried Ubuntu 14 it was enabled by default. Also Waterfox is more free than Firefox. Otherwise there's no point in using it.
>>
>>58807074

I completely forgot that they changed that in 16.10 if i remember correctly.
>>
>>58807079
I still have other issues with Canonical, such as their partnership with Microsoft but the Amazon botnet was the big reason I hated them. I sure hope they changed it.
>>
>>58806880
>kde >> windows or any other de
I am primarily a Windows user and, as bad as Windows' UI mostly is, it always amazes me how Linux DEs are all terrible. KDE is one of the worst, it's not even stable.
>>
>>58805363

I like the Canonical repository, but I think Mint does a better job packaging the desktops.

The Unity desktop is especially bad -- the lack of configurability is truly awful.

I think Ubuntu MATE is their best desktop package.
>>
>>58806900
You can always install foobar 2000 or whatever hipster tier shit music player you want with wine.
>>
>>58807131
How is it unstable? My laptop hasn't been restarted in over a month, without a single crash.
>>
>>58807103
Yes, they changed it. Unlike microsoft they actually listen to their users.

>>58806900
Clementine is nice. I use it even on w7.

>>58807193
>I think Ubuntu MATE is their best desktop package.
Agreed.
>>
>>58807193
Mint is fucking insecure. Nobody should use it.
Why is /g/ fully of uninformied normalfags?
>>
>>58807193
>think Mint does a better job packaging
try installing mdm on mint
you can't bacause they highjacked it with "Mint Display Manager", kek
>>
>>58807193

Does MATE have a Topmenu in it ?

I'm sick and tired of Unity but i want my fucking Top menu...
>>
>>58807013
I'm done spoonfeeding, if you are too dumb to check out 2 graphs on your own you are too dumb to waste my time and goodwill on.

Enjoy life, lost cause.
>>
>>58805363
>What web browser to use on linux?
Chrome, not Chromium

I do, it's backed by a company with professional developers hence Ubuntu actually works
>>
>>58807619
Why Chrome instead of Chromium? It's not like you need the autoupdater.
>>
>>58807669
Because I want the auto-updater and flash
>>
>>58807728
But you can install flash and the auto-updating is taking care of by your package manager?
>>
Iridium from elementaryOS
>>
>>58807004
Every time I try something else I end up returning to KDE. What's your problem with it?
>>
>>58807221
not him but KDE always crashes in the first 5 minutes of a fresh install, regardless of the distro
it usually happens somewhere in the system settings screens
>>
>>58807956
This has happened a few times for me at the beginning, a few months ago with earlier versions, but has since stopped entirely. Also what's the big deal with KDE crashing? It restarts within 5 seconds and restores pretty much all state -- so it's not really a problem.
>>
>>58807956
not him either (I'm >>58807852) and it crashes are extremely rare (although I can't say they never happen)
>>
>>58807982
>>58807989
I don't know what's the deal with it, it doesn't bother me
What does bother me is that everything in KDE just looks so damn large in my opinion, I'm not sure how else to explain it
>>
Whats the best distro to use for lightweight computing, general programming and shitposting on cantonese pottery communes
>>
File: Screenshot_20170205_171807.png (54KB, 749x717px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170205_171807.png
54KB, 749x717px
>>58808030
I agree! Those are the ugly default settings, and the<y really annoy me as well. However this is easily fixable:

Definitely change the fonts to a smaller size, 8-9 maybe, I also fixed my fonts DPI to 96. Do the same for GTK applications in Application Style. Also use qtconfig-qt4 to adjust the font settings for applications still using Qt4. Adjust the button sizes for the chosen Window Decorations, and resize your desktop panels using the Panel Settings menu to a smaller size.

This is what my KDE looks like:
>>
>>58808050
Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>58805363

chrome + ubuntu + i3wm

I like ubuntu because it doesn't get in my way and if something doesn't work I'm usually not the first person who had the issue.
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-02-05_20-15-43.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-02-05_20-15-43.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>58805374
Xubuntu & firefox here, too
also T420
>>
GNU Icecat.
>>
>>58807430
cool u read the canonical fud

now tell me what the fuck mdm is and why i would want to install it
>>
What a shitty thread.

I use Midori nowadays, since firefox became shit.
>>
I've used Debian, arch, gentoo, and funtoo over the years but for a work/school laptop Ubuntu is by far the best and most reliable distro. Unity has its quirks, but the Ubuntu hardware support out of the box is phenomenal
>>
>>58805363
WebKit dev Edishion
>>
What best distro to web development?
>>
>>58810878
>What's the best distribution for [...] development?
It's always Ubuntu.
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.