[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got in a computer, now what?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: leethax.gif (4MB, 386x217px) Image search: [Google]
leethax.gif
4MB, 386x217px
Hello /g/

A buddy got a laptop from a friend. It had a password on it that the friend didn't know. Said buddy is dumber than shit when it comes to computers, so he asked if I could get rid of the password.

After a lot more trouble than I expected, I managed to wipe both the user and administrator password and I plan on just nuking the hard drive and giving it a fresh clean install of Windows 10 (currently 8.1 and about 1.7GB worth of Windows Updates behind).

I did a little snooping around but sadly there's no obvious digital dirt on the previous owner - at least in the usual places - but I want to try looking for more. Steam and Skype are installed, Facebook is in Chrome history, and so on. Having physical access to the laptop, should I try to to gain access to any of these accounts/services/etc? Making some changes to M$'s Secure Account Manager files is simple stuff, I could use a challenge.

Please note that I'm not doing it for any nefarious reasons. I have some formal IT training and eventually will pursue that career, in the meantime I'm only doing things like this to see if I can.
>>
Give it back, Jamal.
>>
Have you installed/ran recuva to see if there is any recoverable deleted files?
>>
File: jamal.jpg (115KB, 620x350px) Image search: [Google]
jamal.jpg
115KB, 620x350px
>>58804767
Its my laptop now.
>>
>>58804820
I'm working on it now. I didn't do too much on the laptop's HDD but I doubt there'll be much. There's bloatware and malware and free trials up the ass on this thing. I feel unclean even using it.
>>
>>58804919
>I feel unclean even using it.
Then don't.
>>
Jamal give it back.
>>
File: RubberGloves.jpg (63KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
RubberGloves.jpg
63KB, 800x800px
>>58804985
I mean its not the worst case I've seen, its just always annoying when it takes up to a minute to open msconfig or having to wait 5 minutes after booting to the desktop before you can actually do anything.
>>
>>58804698
You're servicing a friends machine but wrote up a Mr Robot super hacker narrative for us when you are done?

Is this copy pasta?
>>
>>58804698
>learn forth
>master computers in one step
>>
>>58804767
>>58805036

It's actually not stolen. I guess the story is my buddy got it from a friend of his. The laptop belongs to said friend and she recently broke up with her boyfriend. Problem is he was really the only one to use it and she didn't know the password. The password is gone now tho.
>>
>>58805056
I'm actually just really bored. The only saving grace to this laptop is a bunch of torrented movies I'm backing up before nuking the hard drive from orbit.
>>
>>58804698
>Got in a computer, now what?
Well i'd assume you should climb back out
>>
File: fth.png (135KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
fth.png
135KB, 1366x768px
>>58805066
I'm I master now?
>>
>>58804698
Perhaps learn the basics of standards in user account data before you start trying to sound like a 1337 h4xx0r
>>
>>58804698
This isn't playful cleverness, this is dumbass douchiness.

I hope you enjoy IT, because its about the worst tech related field that you can get into in regards to hacking. You chose wrong.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.