[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's 2017, Laptops!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: Capture.png (586KB, 760x567px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
586KB, 760x567px
I've always preferred PCs for games and work and for many other reasons I'm sure you have heard a million times before. However; its the year twenty-seventeen! Surly the science making powerful portable computers has been perfected, right?

This is what I thought 5 hours ago when I started looking for my potential first laptop. I thought it would be simple and easy to get a sleek laptop that was as powerful, if not, better than my 3 year old desktop. While laptops are smaller and faster than ever before, they all seem to have these caveats that make it impossible to decide on one over the other. And when the prices can be anywhere between 1500 - 3000 for a strong laptop, these issues can't be justified.

This one is powerful but its ugly as sin. This one is beautiful but its got terrible cooling. This one has a color accurate screen but its flimsy and poorly constructed. This one checks all the boxes but has useless extra features that show in it's price. They all seem to have some nagging issue to spoil the whole thing.

Its to the point where I'm starting to get mad at the engineers designing these things! I know they have a tricky puzzle of a job getting these parts to fit nicely into a little laptop package but jeepers! I'm hard pressed to find a laptop I can look at and say "man, what a smart looking piece of hardware."

If you are on a laptop right now, you clearly did what I could not and found something you were happy to pay for. My question is, what the heck magical miracle laptop did you get and why?
>>
Thinkpad. Secondhand. You don't need warranties with thinkpads.
>>
>>58802270
I considered the Lenovo laptops but they don't really do high performance.
>>
>>58802383
Then build a compact PC and get a battery from china to power the fucking thing.
>>
>>58802244
I'm still using my Sony Vaio. I recommend having a look at elitebooks if you want second hand, but if you're looking for something new then I'm not too sure.

You already have a desktop? Get something cheap to compliment it like a celeron laptop with 4GB ram.
Do you need that kind of power when you're out? Celeron laptops are cheap, reliable, and have good battery life. They offer enough performance to easily browse the web, office, multimedia, etc.
>>
>>58802244
Unless you need portability, buy a desktop.
>>
>>58802426
I'm happy with my desktop but it can't come with me when I fly over seas.

>>58802416
To be clear, I'll need to be able to develop on this computer. My work is GPU and CPU intensive.
>>
>>58802426
they go outside a lot and they want to take a powerful pc with them for some reason, just let them do what they want
>>
>>58802462
HP Spectre, Dell XPS, Lenovo Yoga, take your pick. I've personally dealt with all of them and other than the fact that I don't see a use for tablet convertibles and I fucking hate touchpads with the buttons built in instead of being separate, they're good laptops. If you need something more business oriented, I fucking love my Latitude, HP Probooks are OK, I also have a Thinkpad I use occasionally that does its job well.
>>
File: a14_p011-orange.png (126KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
a14_p011-orange.png
126KB, 500x293px
I am half considering this thing. It looks like it holds up for what I need to do with it but it seems like it has terrible ventilation, shooting all the heat up the face of the screen.
>>
>>58802531
Great suggestions for design and build quality. If only they could squeeze a modern performing GPU and CPU into them.
>>
I have the Dell Inspirion with 8 GB of RAM, an Intel i5 processor, 15' 6'' HD screen, and touch support. It is a beast for graphic design, and ps.
>>
>>58802244
Science don't make. People make.
>>
>>58802572
The Spectre I was working with a couple weeks ago didn't have any issues pushing 4k. Granted, I wasn't doing anything graphically intensive, just basic desktop and web browsing shit, but still, it was snappy enough with a solid state. Same with the XPS, but I was using an external display along with the integrated 4k display on the Yoga and it seemed to have some issues.
>>
>>58802462
Buy an elitebook 8470p and upgrade it to a quad core. That's currently best value.

Otherwise, have you considered a gaming laptop? They've got pretty good specs, cooling, and battery life.
>>
>>58802650
I can see how a 4k screen would be great for general use now that a lot of consumable media is streaming in that resolution but in my line of work, when running graphically intensive programs,t he 4k needlessly hinders the computer from achieving it's potential running at 1080p for example.

While it is possible to change the resolution, the down-scaling will have noticeable quality drawbacks outside the lower resolution.
>>
>>58802688
Agreed, so get something with a modern i5 or i7 and a 1080p display and performance shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>58802688
get a Dell Insipiron with an i7
>>
>>58802741
I was considering this as it does seem like a really soled laptop but the color accuracy will not work for media development.
>>
>>58802244
>My question is, what the heck magical miracle laptop did you get and why?
ThinkPad T420 because it checks all the boxes according to my requirements and while not everything is perfect, most points are simply "good enough" instead of being straight downgrades. Also you can upgrade things like the CPU or RAM up to 16gb, use 3 drives at the same time and the Docking Station is a godsend.

These things have very good macOS/Linux compatibility if you're into that, I'm running mine Hackintoshed with Sierra 10.12.3 and everything just works.

HOWEVER the screens are shit and that's an objective truth. I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to score one of the few working T420 FHD kits from China some time ago so i managed to solve that problem but i guess you could use an external monitor to mitigate that.
>>
>>58802383
Get an expresscard GPU adapter. CPUs are stagnant.
>>
A laptop fits my lifestyle better but I still use desktops because I enjoy the experience of sitting down at a desk and having a large monitor.
>>
>>58802244
https://system76.com/laptops
>>
I quite like 360 hinged laptops but I need a stylus for them, the newest envy x360 (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65136) looks really good in my price range but is it worth stepping up to a specter x360? Sadly I can't afford a ThinkPad x1 Yoga which would be perfect for me.
>>
>>58802545
Heat rises
That's best ventilation
Would you rather have all the heat piped around the laptop and forced out a tiny exhaust hole on the bottom covered by your underwear
>>
>>58804463
I got a Kaby lake Envy x360, it's exactly the same as a Spectre x360. People have called HP with the question of what's the difference and it basically boils down to ports and screens, they sell the Spectre as "the better one" but even their own staff can't tell you what the difference is. they're the same laptops
>>
File: image.png (181KB, 1753x907px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
181KB, 1753x907px
>>58804463
I like mine
>>
is replacing thermal paste on laptops easy? Is it often a significant improvement?
>>
>>58804760
It's easy as long as you have a trowel.

Real answer: I don't believe many laptops let you remove the processor to do such an operation yourself. It would have to go to the manufacturer to open it up and put the paste in there.
>>
>>58804760
Never had problems replacing it on my ThinkPads
>>
File: hawt.png (358KB, 386x413px) Image search: [Google]
hawt.png
358KB, 386x413px
>>58804701
Seeing how it heats up the screen is worrisome. I don't know how that might affect the quality over time.
>>
>>58804760
Did it on an hp and Panasonic, both about 20+screws, often all the same size.

Its slow and relatively easy of you have patience when working on computers.
>>
>>58803586
Their hi-end gaming type laptops are rebranded Clevo laptops. I believe they can be found cheaper from other resellers so be careful how much you pay for the System76 logo on the cover.
>>
What does a thinkpad x220 with an SSD and 8gb of RAM choke with?
>>
File: W520_06.jpg (157KB, 1000x869px) Image search: [Google]
W520_06.jpg
157KB, 1000x869px
>>58802244
>My question is, what the heck magical miracle laptop did you get and why?
>>
>>58802462
>My work is GPU and CPU intensive.
then some crappy mobile version isn't what you're looking for.
get a desktop and be happy.
>>
>>58806369
battery life
>>
File: 1481458662332.jpg (70KB, 640x670px) Image search: [Google]
1481458662332.jpg
70KB, 640x670px
If gayming or serious hardware consuming work is your goal (conversion, editing, modelling, and such),
then you want:
1. Cooling and airflow, so your shit doesn't throttle and your shit doesn't bake itself along with your house.
2. A PSU to regulate your electrical system properly which can run 24/7 without baking shitty cables and power bricks like happens with Laptop diarrhea.
3. Performance, because die shrinks mean you can fit more performance into the old size format, rather than picking a smaller format for the same old performance.

Which means Desktop.

If you do coding, writing, and play Terraria all day, then a laptop is for you.

If you do a lot of equation writing (Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics) with lots of necessary drawing and sketching, then a tablet with a stylus and the best palm rejection software you can find is what you are looking for. You even get more battery life than a laptop this way and it is more portable, which are pluses.

It's a simple fucking formula.

It's this fucking simple. As far as dumb YouTube faggots like LinusCuckTips go,
stop watching that shit because it reduces the amount of your brain cells.
>>
>>58802462
>I'm happy with my desktop but it can't come with me when I fly over seas.

>>58806498
I have a desktop now but I'm moving to another country. Shipping this desktop would be extremely expensive, checking it at the airport is suicide, and building a new desktop when I'm there will be a waste of money given their economic situation now.

I'm sure I can find something equal or better than it in laptop form anyway but I'm hard pressed by by search so far.
>>
>>58806562
I think I fall somewhere in between your two first "formulas". The PC I use now gets the job done very well and finding a matching laptop version should be simple right?

I wanted to avoid being an asshole and posting shopping lists here but to paint a clearer picture for you, my computer/ideal laptop looks something like this:

Intel Core i7
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GPU or greater
16 GB of ram or greater
1920 1080 matte display with good color accuracy
At least 3 USB 2.0 or greater for the peripherals I use while stationary. (Mouse, keyboard, usb drive, external hdd, and so on)
HDMI for a second screen

The Gigabyte Aero, XPS 15, and MSI Stealth are the ones I'm closely considering but all lack something or come with annoyances that the other ones don't have:

Gigabyte Aero: Overall great but no ethernet and worrisome heat vent location. >>58806223
XPS 15: Great build and outstanding display but only 2 USBs and a relatively weak GPU.
MSI Stealth: Has all the components but will come with terrible bloatware and build quality is flimsy.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.