[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so bad about systemd?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 25

File: systemd.gif (40KB, 1968x639px) Image search: [Google]
systemd.gif
40KB, 1968x639px
What's so bad about systemd?
>>
File: 1474832060937.png (29KB, 250x226px) Image search: [Google]
1474832060937.png
29KB, 250x226px
>>58801369
Autists like to scream about it because they hate change and convenience.
>>
>>58801369
Systemd violates
>muh unix design philosophy
but other than that is perfectly fine.
>>
>>58801387
Rolling
>>
File: without.png (15KB, 155x167px) Image search: [Google]
without.png
15KB, 155x167px
>>58801369
Don't waste your time here - READ THIS INSTEAD
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

>>
>>58801387
roll
>>
>>58801369
Poettering is a faggot.
Other than that just use Void linux if you're autistic
>>
>>58801387
maki maki gimme dat ficki
>>
>>58801369
it does moire than 1 thing well
>>
File: pythonpro.jpg (112KB, 538x632px) Image search: [Google]
pythonpro.jpg
112KB, 538x632px
been running linux for a year... still have no idea what systemd is, though it's always near the top of top
>>
>>58801369
The autism of people that imagine better designs, but never bring them to the table as something (more) workable like systemd.
>>
It's quite awesome actually.
>>
File: D1XK8nk.gif (4MB, 426x284px) Image search: [Google]
D1XK8nk.gif
4MB, 426x284px
>>58801369
>>
>>58801369
Systemd needs to
- Start enabled services on boot
- Stop them when I stop them
- Restart them based on the helpful Restart= line in the service ini file
- Let me enable, disable, start, stop and restart services with an easy-to-use command line interface

In that sense, systemd is literally the best init system I've ever used

Unfortunately that's less than 2% of what it does because pottering is fucked
>>
File: 800px-Stephen_J_Mellor.jpg (114KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Stephen_J_Mellor.jpg
114KB, 800x1067px
>>58801387
rolly polly no fatties big money
>>
>>58801530
sorry anon
>>
>>58801369
- Binary logs
- NSA involvement in its development
- Does too many things
- Binary logs
- Has too many features
>>
>>58801504
>is literally the worst init system I've ever used
FTFY
Unless you've literally never used another init system before.
>>
>>58801410
Don't waste you're time there. Read this instead.
http://fibrevillage.com/sysadmin/516-why-systemd
>>
>>58801504
> Unfortunately that's less than 2% of what it does because pottering is fucked
No, because people start their computers in that many ways, and some of them for instance depend on dhcp and ntp or such.
>>
>>58801544
please don't post any more, your stupidity is bringing this whole board down
>>
>>58801369
Systemd is the best Linux distro ever made.
>>
>>58801556
t. paid NSA employee.
>>
>>58801550
Ok, but dhcpcd doesn't need to be built in to PID 1, ntpd doesn't need to be built into PID 1, literally just a service with RemainAfterExit=true or Type=oneshot and an ExecStart=/usr/bin/ntpdate -d pool.ntp.org would work. No reason to build it into the init system.

Hell you could even have a service with Type=forking and ExecStart=/usr/bin/ntpd -g

No reason to do what systemd is trying to do to ntp, pam, cron, getty, syslog, udev, mount, cryptsetup, at, dbus, acpi, cgroups gnome-sesion, autofs, audit, cryptsetup, etc....
>>
>>58801387
tongue my anus
>>
NSA/Red Hat's way to control the Linux ecosystem
>>
>>58801369
Nothing. I use it, and love it. I even used it back when it wasn't cool. Back when it was called scvhost.exe.
>>
>>58801545
>Interfacing via dbus
systemd should not require dbus. It should use it if it's installed, but not require it. This is a downside, not an upside
>read-ahead
was removed from systemd because it's performance features were "unproven" and "none of the [systemd developers] had rotational media"
>Timer-based Activation
bloat
>Path-based Activation (inotify)
upstart has this too but they wrote no for some reason
>Swap handling
bloat
>Snapshotting of system state
bloat
>XDG_RUNTIME_DIR Support
bloat
>Encrypted hard disk handling (LUKS)
no reason for this to be in PID 1, at all, ever, under any circumstances.
>Network Loopback device handling
/etc/network/interfaces may be deprecated for actual network interfaces, but it wasn't broken for lo so don't fix it.
>binfmt_misc handling
bloat
>Graphical UI
Fucking what?
>Container support (as advanced chroot() replacement)
Useful for some but should come disabled by default

Though you're right, 80% of the things on that list are good reasons to use systemd. I do like systemd a lot, but that list is not infallable
>>
>>58801504
>sudo systemctl enable name.service
>sudo systemctl disable name.service
Real complicated man.
>>
>>58801670
that's exactly what he said, work on your reading comprehension
>>
>>58801670
Did you even read my post? I said that those two commands were one of the things I love the most about systemd
>>
>>58801612
I heard only the init and udev were PID 1.
>>
>>58801612
Much of it isn't built into PID 1, but just a binary in the systemd suite.

And precisely ntpdate and all these tools we don't want.

Shit will again end up in never-containing-everything-but-bloated-anyhow initrd, followed by some statically linked busybox+suite of programs in stage 1 of the boot or programs compiled against dietlibc or whatever.

The assertions involved in every distros boot were a pain in the arse, and so was the tooling to create and modify what many of they actually expected.
>>
>>58801387
roll
>>
>>58801685
Why do you want to replace ntpdate? It isn't broken. And it isn't in the initrd either.

Unrelated note, fuck dietlibc it's slow as heck. uclibc or musl are so much better.
>>
>>58801369
SystemD isn't bad for me, never had a problem.
OpenRC isn't 100% pure of bash script.
SysVinit is what I want, its service file is pure of bash script and I love it.
>>
>>58801577
This.
I think everyone mistooking systemd as an init system but rather it's a Linux distro.
>>
>>58801369
too much system
not enough daemon
>>
>>58801612
ntpd and crony are bloated overkill for generic servers and only really needed for time autists, systemd-timesyncd is a bretty good lightweight SNTP client
>>
>>58801790
*chrony
>>
>>58801790
>cron is bloated overkill, systemd timers are all that's needed for a simple server

k
>>
>>58801387
rollin
>>
>>58801387
pls
>>
>>58801822
Is stage 1 the shell script /sbin/init in the initrd or the /sbin/init that's symlinked to /lib/systemd/systemd that gets exec()'d by switch_root?
>>
>>58801387
more interesting post than the bait op
>>
>>58801723
> And it isn't in the initrd either.
Yea, there you probably have busybox ntp or something? Or they didn't need it so you can add it yourself tediously on every update if you need it for network boot or whatever.

Now you'd think, ah well, use some prepared initrd that has it. But you can't use SOME initrd, because you need to mind the specific hand-off the distribution wants to do between the initrd and stage 1.

By the way, this also means if you alter the initrd you might as well have to alte the subsequent stage 1. Which probably again was built in a very special fashion.

> Unrelated note, fuck dietlibc it's slow as heck. uclibc or musl are so much better.
Sure. But that's what your distro might have used for either initrd or stage 1.

Maybe they had to do SOMETHING to downsize the stage 1 ntpdate and dependencies or such?

Enjoy all the hands-on work when you want your faster musl or uclibc and full ntpd rather than ntpdate.

I don't like the old pre-systemd world. It's overall much easier now.
>>
>>58801864
Literally why would you ever need ntp inside the initrd. Start it after switch_root like a normal distro
>>
>>58801387
Nice derail
>>
>>58801885
NSA confirmed
>>
>>58801857
I mean the first stage of typical inits - what most distros required between the initrd and the system running off the "normal" system binaries and stuff.

Terminology varies. I guess for example Debian would call it the "mini-Debian" of stage 3 of the overall startup rather than the stage 1 of the distro's own init.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html#_stage_3_the_mini_debian_system
>>
>>58801927
Ok, so from when the kernel has mounted the initramfs and starts /sbin/init, to when that /sbin/init runs switch_root. You could have just answered the question like that. Not everyone knows the technical terms for it.
>>
>>58801879
For example, because you needed to use autokey with ntpd, which ntpdate didn't support.
>>
>>58801959
*Not everyone knows the technical terms, let alone the numbers
>>
>>58801968
If I'm reading http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringAutokey correctly, that doesn't require starting before the fucking rootfs has been mounted
>>
>>58801369
It's not as good as OpenRC
>>
>>58801987
You want the time secured so the certificates can be validated so you can mount your root off a network filesystem, for example.
>>
>>58802006
Ok, if you're mounting your root off a network filesystem, and want to verify the certificate of your ntp server, them yes, you need to put ntpd in your initramfs.

If I had a dime for every time I absolutely needed that, I'd probably have negative money. Also, systemd doesn't help you in that situation at all afaik
>>
>>58802006
Init isn't supposed to mount filesystems though. The process that mounts filesystems is supposed to mount filesystems.
>>
>>58802006
Yeah I just looked it up, timedatectl doesn't support keys. You desperately want to replace ntpd with systemd but systemd doesn't even support your use case for why systemd is better
>>
>>58801535
Hell it stores some of its config files in a binary format database. It's a shitshow.
>>
>>58802028
> If I had a dime for every time I absolutely needed that
That's no argument. Yes, other people need something *you* don't need.

And the point is that the old way of doing anything even just marginally different generally required you to fuck with multiple annoying to edit and maintain things, such as an initrd and a stage 1. With a low chance of actually being able to use something from another distro and all that.

Now way more things are easily supported, even initrd-less boots and the like.

> Also, systemd doesn't help you in that situation at all afaik
It does. For example at the equivalent of stage 1 you should generally have /usr and /run mounted (because that's the recommendation when initrd are used https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InitrdInterface/ ), plus you have almost "all you need to boot" in systemd itself anyhow, which is present.
>>
>>58802227
Ok, so systemd starts ntpd after /usr is mounted, etc.. So you still don't need ntpd in your initrd. I don't see what you're getting at
>>
>>58801387
good derail
>>
>>58802275
>>58801885
Fuck off
>>
>>58802286
anything is better than another systemd thread
>>
>>58801612
>Ok, but dhcpcd doesn't need to be built in to PID 1
Pretty much nothing except launching a few scripts should be in PID 1

Ironic that systemd is now so bloated that it's slower than traditional system scripts. This is why I moved to BSD.
>>
File: automount.gif (163KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
automount.gif
163KB, 1920x1080px
systemd.mount > fstab

Just give in.
>>
File: D.jpg (12KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
D.jpg
12KB, 512x512px
>>58801369
>>58801410
>refracta8_xfce_i386-20161014_1432.iso
>>
Linux got too mainstream and big and combined with retarded hipster contrarian culture led to this meme hate wherein those least qualified to make decisions on what init system a distro uses think their special snowflake opinion matters. Same people before this shit started never knew what an init system was, some still don't and wouldn't even fucking know what to replace it with.

Your shitty little opinion on how to run the distro is disregarded because it's a shitty little opinion. But because of journalist and forum clickbait, everyone thinks they get to tell everyone else what should be in the distro or not.

It's fucking over, all major distros use it now. You can keep crying about it and make more threads jerking off about muh unix philosophy. That shit was written over 60 years ago, pcs and hardware kind of changed in the mean time. You are more than welcome to fuck off to some shitty hipster anti-systemd distro, once finally given the chance to make something all the anti-systemd shits fail miserably showing off in detail how they indeed don't know the first fucking thing about making or maintaining a distro.
>>
>>58801369
Nothing. Except that Poettering has lost his mind and tries to add almost all shit instead of develop the barebones and create a plug-ing architecture to add the shit that red hat kikes want.
But in principe is fine.
>>
>>58802179
> You desperately want to replace ntpd with systemd
No, I don't want to have to maintain a initrd ntpd (maybe statically compiled), a stage 1 ntpd (maybe linked only against an included dietlibc which maybe doesn't work for ntpd and I might need to replace with uclibc or glibc somehow), and then then the running system ntpd (typical dynamically linked libraries), or such.

Yea, it'd probably be easier if systemd-timesyncd supported full ntp like ntpd rather than just simple ntp? Could be a thing, eh.

But I'm fine with the whole thing just being less of a mess overall by having what's important to replace all typical stage 1 things included.
>>
>>58801612
>le epic everything in systemd is in a giant binary running in pid 1 maymay xD
>>
File: triggered.jpg (16KB, 340x344px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16KB, 340x344px
>>58801612
>trying to do to
Did you literally just list all the things from that sock puppet gif?

That was satire it isn't meant to be taken literally you fucking moron.
>>
>>58802324
> Ironic that systemd is now so bloated that it's slower than traditional system scripts.
This is actually not true.
>>
>>58801387
roll
>>
>>58801657
It's not fault of systemd that linux still doesn't had a proper IPC system. Dbus was used thus adopted.
It's not fault of systemd that no one has offered to maintain read ahead.
>muh cron
That shit even cant count the time
Upstart has design defects. Probably is one of the consequences.
>swap handling is bloat
Do you run a fucking pentium III?
>snapshotting of the system state
It's useful for servers and big enterprise shit. Not for the arch obese drone.
Granted, that should be implemented apart.
>still believing the lie that all systemd is implemented in pid 1
>>
>>58801387
Roll
>>
>>58802437
>>swap handling is bloat
>Do you run a fucking pentium III?

>service with ExecStart=swapon -a
good
>creating a new fucking binary to do just that
stupid
>>
>>58802442
Actually swapon is a dumb fstab parser, the systemd implementation is far more sane.
>>
>>58802442
--> >>58802465
>>
>>58802465
The systemd implementation uses systemd mounts, which are fucking retarted. fstab wasn't broken and there's no reason to replace it
>>
>>58802478
fstab wasn't replaced anon.
>>
Is too late to rewrite systemd as a basic intelligent init and service management and let the rest of the shit being plugins?
>>
>>58802478
>which are fucking retarted
retardedly awesome and better than fstab.
>>
>>58802512
whats your favorite anime
>>
>>58801387
Rolling
>>
>>58801387
Rollerino
>>
>>58802517
This season I recommend Masamune-kun no Revenge
:3
>>
>>58802536
that wasn't what i asked nerd
>>
>>58802387
Why wouldn't he add the full functionality typical systems need to boot?

Anything else hasn't actually worked well, it just meant you might constantly encounter distros that can't mount a LUKS encrypted /var right at the time /root is mounted or some shit like that.
>>
>>58802539
I've seen too many to have a favorite.
>>
>>58801387
Rollllll
>>
>>58802544
I'm not talking about boot stuff, I'm talking about the shit catered to servers, like container support and shit, all in the same codebase.
Granted, I know that they can be disabled at compile time, but I think plugins could be more flexible and get cleaner code.
>>
>>58802591
So stop using Distro that have shitty support like Debian and OpenSUSE.

Haven't had a single systemd related crash on Gentoo, which has the best systemd support out of any distribution including Fedora.
>>
>>58802591

I do agree adoption of systemd was kind haphazard and suspiciously in hurry but things are getting better SLOWLY.

What was the exact source of your problem anon?
>>
>>58802536
>liking typical highschool anime
That's why you like SystemD.
But when you like Serial Experiments Lain, you must hate SystemD.
>>
>>58802605
>gentoo
>best systemd support
How is that possible?
>>
>>58802605

I'd love to switch to systemd but I'm following gentoo's musl branch in my chromebook :(
>>
>>58802331
I don't get it. Explain.
>>
>>58802629
>But when you like Serial Experiments Lain, you must hate SystemD.

Lain is for edgelords that like neon genesis.
>>
>>58802665
i like you
>>
>>58802665
>tripfag with bad opinons
typical
>>
File: Gnomehome.png (177KB, 630x507px) Image search: [Google]
Gnomehome.png
177KB, 630x507px
>>58802665
>>58802669
:D
I like Neon-Lain kick but Systemd is ok to exist, just for it not to be the standard (Lack there of actual "standards")
GNOME3 layouts got me by the balls tho..
>>
File: refracta.png (12KB, 400x110px) Image search: [Google]
refracta.png
12KB, 400x110px
>Obligatory
>>
>>58802665
Stop comparing Lain to Eva.
Eva is for edge kids.
>>
>>58801387
roll
(plz, hairy Kamisama)
>>
>>58802730
lain is for edge kids who think they're better than the other edge kids
it's like goths vs emos
>>
>>58802730
>>Obligatory
>>
>>58802579
But chroot was actually part of many more traditional startups, having a modern version of it with systemd-nspawn isn't too strange.

And that thing that starts services is the same thing that monitors (including logging and monitoring IPC which it also provides) and keeps services up and shuts them down is really rather natural.

These would have to be designed to match each other exactly anyhow. You can either just get it done until it works or spend years defining interfaces on pluggable daemons that people will implement to 20% - 100% at random and which for the most part will never support v2, v2.5 or v3 of the revised spec even if you needed to do security fixes.

And half the distros won't have half the things.
>>
>>58802418
It consumes a shit-ton more resources actually. On a CHIP it's eating about 10-15% of the system resources AT ALL TIMES.

That is gay.
>>
>>58801387
rolling
>>
>>58802751
Thinking more about that, I now think that a plug-in based systemd could make all the problems of sysvinit et al resurface.
>>
>>58801387
if i get the tomboy again im gonna flip a shit
>>
>>58801387
rolling in shill thread
>>
>>58802730
If you aren't into it for the ambiguous plots that appeal to narcissistic man babies then you are into it for the loli and you probably like autistic shit like lucky star and haruhi.
>>
>>58802798
wtf i changed my mind i hate you now
>>
I need it for arch huhu.
>>
File: Samejima.Mamimi.full.39687.jpg (748KB, 2396x1670px) Image search: [Google]
Samejima.Mamimi.full.39687.jpg
748KB, 2396x1670px
i like lain and eva
>>
>>58802730

>incest with cloned mother
>submissive pervert getting dominated by mistress in latex
>edgy
>>
>>58802763
What the fuck is that CHIP thing doing?

I had 14.5 days uptime and all that systemd did (which in my case isn't little) has amounted to 14.3 minutes of CPU time, on a weak AM1 Kabini quad core machine.

The old cron logging and stuff consumed more alone before.
>>
>>58801387
please no dubs or 0
>>
>>58802817
>look at me i'm loose and smoking and my parents don't care where I am!
>kid grows a boner from his forehead and gets beat up by a clown

Shit was entertaining but I wouldn't watch it again. Another artsy nonsense anime.
>>
>>58802838
it's only nonsense if you make no effort to interpret it
you can't just call anything that isn't presented so blatantly that a retard could comprehend it as "artsy nonsense"
>>
>>58802868
It doesn't require any effort to interpret it.
That's why its artsy nonsense.
>>
>>58802771
That would almost certainly happen.

It's not like we didn't (don't) have many, many examples showing exactly how this failed.

And "the enterprise stuff" ultimately is the consumer stuff once it works. (It should be. Nothing wrong with people having an easy time running, say, a docker-ized application, getting log messages right from standardized IPC, and hot plugging devices ... or whatever.)
>>
File: teaU.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
teaU.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>58802798
>lucky star
Still gotta agree. Not me tho. Looks gay (I would know)
>>
>>58802798
>dislikes lain
>dislikes eva
>dislikes lucky star
>dislikes haruhi
wow, what an original and free-thinking anime fan! you sure aren't just being a contrarian so you can hold yourself above other anime fans!
what a guy! definitely not getting filtered!
>>
>>58802944
lol mad
>>
File: Texhnolyze.full.203844.jpg (259KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Texhnolyze.full.203844.jpg
259KB, 1600x1200px
>eva
>lain
pic related is better
>>
>>58802944
I like shit like Desert Punk and Full Metal Panic, Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku.

Shit I even like garbage like Love Hina.

I just don't see the appeal of lain eva lucky star and haruhi, i put that trash in the same boat with crap like madoka magica and the *monogatari trash.
>>
>>58802999
>I just don't see the appeal of lain eva lucky star and haruhi, i put that trash in the same boat with crap like madoka magica and the *monogatari trash.
>lumping completely unrelated anime together just because you don't like them
>>
>>58802960
Lain at least is kinda fun because of all the many, many references.

Texhnolyze had nothing in particular except lots of jumping the shark.
>>
>>58803020
They are all episodic predictable crap with no good humor that rely on cut scenes with edgy one liners and cute poses to distract autistic fucks from the fact that they have little to no plot, subsisting solely on one general fantasy or idea bludgeoned with metaphors for filler.
>>
>>58803041
>madoka magica
>episodic

Nigger what the flying fuck are you talking about? You've obviously never watched any of these shows.
>>
>>58801369
it's not runit
>>
>>58803049
I could tell the entire fucking plot of Madoka Magica from the first few minutes before the fucking intro song.
>>
>>58803058
Even if you magically could, that doesn't make it an episodic show.
>>
>>58803058
Oh my god I hate Shaft so much.
I'm gonna go watch Taboo.
>>
File: why would a grown-up do this.png (171KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
why would a grown-up do this.png
171KB, 374x347px
>expecting a tripfriend to have any logical support for his contrarian stances
>>
>>58803041
Whatcha think about TIme of Eve? Too boring?

I thought it was one of the best related Anime.

Actually, other than that and Lain and maybe GitS I mostly just remember some manga and games as adequate cyberpunk-ish / transhumanist / AI kind of science fiction.
>>
>>58803089
That guy is an autistic pedophile that thinks disliking things he likes is contrarian.

Merely even disliking those anime pretty much puts you outside of the spectrum automatically.
>>
>>58803098
your explanation for disliking them is hollow, you gave no [r e a l] reason, just jargon
you aren't cooler than anyone else because you think universally praised shows are bad just because they're universally praised
>>
>>58803112
It isn't jargon its succinct criticism, your fucking IQ is so god damned low that you fall for shit like Lain and Eva and think its deep because it wows you.
>>
File: (You).jpg (41KB, 336x476px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
41KB, 336x476px
>mfw too intelligent for lain
>>
>>58803137
>type some meme words about some shows you never watched
>succinct criticism

t. Madoka is episodic
>>
>>58803162
I was generalizing.

Madoka Magica is just a really bad show, it feels episodic when you can't even remember the characters names.

I don't like snuff films about little girls with PTSD because I'm not a psychopathic pedophile.
>>
File: lul.png (71KB, 619x550px) Image search: [Google]
lul.png
71KB, 619x550px
TRIPS BTFO
>>
>>58803157
Agreed.
>>
File: fast-reliable-typed.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fast-reliable-typed.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>58801469
>>
>>58802437
>Snapshotting of system state
"To allow a user to temporarily enter a specific state such as “Emergency Shell”, terminating current services, and provide an easy way to return to the state before, pulling up all services again that got temporarily pulled down."

Read more: http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2013/09/systemd-snapshots.html#ixzz4Xn5OkXA4

people complaining about systemd don't know shit.
people complaining about systemd have never read sysemd source code
people complaining about systemd have never read initd source code
people complaining about systemd are only spreading FUD
people complaining about systemd are complaining about free software

writing an init file is literally the worst thing I had to program!
writing a systemd service is a very nice experience, you should try it.
>>
>>58803260
systemd should have been written in rust.
>>
>>58802387
>red hat kikes
Nuh uh, Poettering is a fucking German, and you know it. If my grandpa had of been a better shot (and I guess also stationed in Europe instead of the Pacific), there might not have ever been a PulseAudio or Systemd.
>>
>>58803519
>germans can't be jews
full fucking retard
>>
>>58803519
Even the under-equipped partly equipped west front in Germany still had enough good shots that the majority of US casualties in WW2 came from there, so there also might just as well not be a ((You)).

War is shit and the real problem were the old delusional fucks on all sides that decided war was great and any morals were not.
>>
>>58803528
Not according to der Fuhrer anyway.

>>58803630
>>>/pol/

No German has ever been able to outshoot mountain folk from Southern Appalachia. That's just a fact of life, son. It's as concrete and unchanging as the motherfucking laws of physics.
>>
>>58804086
> No German has ever been able to outshoot mountain folk from Southern Appalachia.
http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

Not that this whole mess had anything particularly good about it, but the germans did kinda "outshoot" everyone else including the USA+Brit Commonwealth.
>>
File: 1481211939635.png (60KB, 664x694px) Image search: [Google]
1481211939635.png
60KB, 664x694px
>>58801410
I think your attitude is pretty typical of systemd detractors, and that attitude is exactly why systemd is making a victory sweep across all major Linux distributions;

Since you are in total denial of any existing problems with sysvinit, you are of course unable to suggest any alternative to it, or begin any coherent work on an alternative to it. The denial also suggest a lack of technical insight into the problem, and the pathetic lack of any alternative development work also suggest a lack of technical ability to make such an alternative.

This seemingly leaves systemd detractors with only one option; negative campaigning. So they have wasted years of slandering Lennart Poettering and other open source developers and companies, and whining, ranting and trolling on web forums, but without any real technical argumentation.

Using derogatory terms, like "bloat", or "Windoze crap" aren't technical argumentation, just like copy-pasting unattributed quotes from random sites about "Unix philosophy" doesn't convince anybody serious either.

You are also alienating people who may have been sympathetic to developing alternatives to systemd; who wants to join a bunch of anonymous people who rant like lunatics, and who seems to enjoy smug negative attitudes against other open source developers.

So to sum up; you are just a loud minority who conducts negative campaigning, seemingly without any ability to gather people to construct a positive alternative to systemd. As long as you deny any problems with sysvinit, and deny any positive merits of systemd, you will be unable to analyse the situation and therefore paralysed into inaction. This of course will mean, that Linux distro after Linux distro will switch over to systemd. Enjoy the future with systemd on every Linux distro; your negative attitude made it possible
>>
>>58803268
Systemd should have been written in js because it's the future Pottering wants give us.
>>
>>58804368
this
>>
Why systemd is GOAT by the man who single-handedly saved Linux:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-
myths.html
>>
>>58801369
>What's so bad about systemd?
the trolls that imply systemd can't be anything but perfect. people like 58801384 or 58801391

I doubt the thread was started because OP really wanted some serious answers so I'll spare you the technical reasons
>>
>>58801545
>This is an introduction document about systemd, copied from http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html

You literally linked to Poettering's own shilling.
>>
I once read a long blog about why it is bad, had something to starting, booting, restarting, closing processes. It was really good read.

but I have low IQ so I can't really tell when something is smart or stupid.
>>
>>58802437
big enterprise shit runs two set of servers production and disaster recovery no reason to snapshot anything especially give the fact that big enterprise shit has proper logging
>>
>>58802549
so what are they all like equally shit or you do you not comprehend what a favourite it
>>
>>58802639
gentoo will run what ever you make like any distro that compiles from source
>>
File: embrace-extend.png (95KB, 1990x1252px) Image search: [Google]
embrace-extend.png
95KB, 1990x1252px
>>58801369
Too much risk of depending on it and RedHat can push whatever agenda they plan. Also RedHat is making a dependency hell you can not escape, and they outrageously promote it with harassment to any dissent. True fact.
>>
>>58801369
To start off, the concept isn't. It's a very similar concept to SMF and launchd, allows you to have context in starting your services, doesn't pick up env variables, has deps and so on.

The reality related to systemd is though, it's implemented by people who aren't to be trusted with core system utilities such as a service management system. They've broken userspace repeatedly, introduce bugs, security vulns and the likes constantly. It's not the concept that's the problem. It's the developers and the implementation of the concept.
>>
>>58801387
Rollllll
>>
>>58801369
It's the new X11 in the making
>>
>>58801369
Because smgl-init is better.
>>
File: above.jpg (37KB, 528x396px) Image search: [Google]
above.jpg
37KB, 528x396px
>>58805118
>Truth
Only person here not trolling.
>>
>>58802624
none... systemd is perfect (no /s)... he is just shilling
>>
>>58803180
>it feels episodic
Not even remotely
>>
>>58806263
I've forgotten more anime then you have watched.
I pick a favorite from a manageable pool, like what is currently airing.

If you want to narrow that down to a specific genre I might be able to choose but just a general favorite anime isn't possible because I would just be making shit up on the spot.
>>
File: bug.jpg (252KB, 2272x688px) Image search: [Google]
bug.jpg
252KB, 2272x688px
this is what i hate about systemd
>>
>runit boots at least THREE times faster than systemd
>distro's still use systemd
All is lots.
>>
>>58808229
That's the biggest point.
Most people don't mind shit code or the philosophy.
But Lennart Pottering is a manipulative asshole. And Redhat tries really hard to make everyone to use Gnome.
>>
>>58811748
You should read Arch's excuse of using systemd. Bunch of sellouts.
>>
>>58809297
There is nothing wrong with X, and Wayland sucks ass.
>>
>>58801369
I hate that it works so well
>>
nothing, the only people who shitpost about it are underage memers from /pol/.
>>
>>58801369
Essentially it's trying to put everything at the system level under the effective control of RedHat. Things like networking and even sound are probably eventually going to be rolled in. It's also entirely binary, including the logs. I'm mostly agnostic on the whole thing, and I even use Fedora as my primary OS.
>>
>>58806303
This, note that they don't even have well informed shills. They just call you names. Is that really going to work on us? No.
>>
Having a standard foundation for distro to build upon is better than a myriad of shitty scripts.
>>
>>58814071
The scripts don't have to be shitty, and init is proven and stable. Systemd shills BTFO.
>>
>>58803026
lain had the worst ending of them
>>
>>58812586
>Essentially it's trying to put everything at the system level under the effective control of RedHat
This. This is the problem.
>>
File: 1467004638302.jpg (10KB, 687x69px) Image search: [Google]
1467004638302.jpg
10KB, 687x69px
>disable sysrq by default
>NOTABUG
hm
>>
File: qRMZbwP.png (790KB, 792x792px) Image search: [Google]
qRMZbwP.png
790KB, 792x792px
>>58802512
Go fuck a vacuum
>>
It's not that I dislike systemd it's just that I like openrc better
Thread posts: 191
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.