[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which FPGA does /g/ use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12

File: cyclone3ls-devbrd.jpg (60KB, 450x306px) Image search: [Google]
cyclone3ls-devbrd.jpg
60KB, 450x306px
Which FPGA does /g/ use?
>>
i'm not an electronics pro, but
if you have a USB and ethernet connection, why not just stick with a MCU/SoaC? aren't they more efficient?
>>
I didn't get any because none of the ones I checked were compatible with GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58798421

I thinking you are mistaking /g/ for /diy/. Here we only discuss rice, phones and chinkshit.

Remember - /g/ stands for Consumerism.
>>
>>58798421
IntelFPGAâ„¢ at work
>>
>>58798421
Microship PIC16/18
>>
I just used some cyclone (version 5, I guess) devboard at some short uni course. Im mostly a mcu guy, but I'd like to get a fpga board to thinker soon.
>>
>>58798567
unrelated to thread but, do you use microchip tools?
I just used 3rd party environments and compilers to program some 18F pics. Now I'm thinking about switching to the 32 bit line, but my tools of choice don't support them.
Tried mplabx and it was kinda unpleasant.
>>
I have a Xilinx spartan dev board lying around somewhere
>>
>>58798421

stratix 10 running gentoo linux
>>
I have an NI myRIO with a Xilinx Zynq. I got it for an undergrad controls & automation class. p fun desu
>>
>>58798530
wut
>>
>>58798502
Depends on your application. An FPGA is essentially a customizable logic circuit.
>>
File: image_60_thumb.jpg (116KB, 550x451px) Image search: [Google]
image_60_thumb.jpg
116KB, 550x451px
I use the lattice ICE40 evaluation boards, both the 1K the 8K chips. I also have an Altera evaluation board as well, the de0 nano which has a cyclone 4 chip.
>>
>>58798502
FPGAs would mostly be used for prototyping custom ICs, some include an MCU built in. There are other uses besides prototyping, I hear it is utilized for signal processing or any applications that would make good use of parallel computing.

Having some peripherals to play around with on a dev board could be useful. If you do not want to use a separate micro controller for communications and display.

You are right that an MCU would be more efficient in most cases involving sequential programming as they have a predefined architecture that would be far more optimal than emulating on a FPGA of the same process node. This is because the FPGA is far more complex as all the individual complex logic blocks are user configurable.

I have only done a little work with VHDL in one course at uni, it was fun as fuck. I'd love to tinker with one at home, but decent FPGA devboards can be quite expensive as the technology is advancing rapidly, and the development tools keep changing.
>>
>>58800290
he means the dev tools, I remember getting xylinx working on my laptop with ubuntu. Can't recall whether I used a virtual machine with windows on, or whether I found some other workaround.
>>
>>58800532

you clearly don't know shit about FPGAs

> FPGAs are used for digital and also analog signal proccessing because they have retarded ADC capabilities
> peripherals on a FPGA board would be pointless because you could just use a serial/JTAG connection and probably a logic analyzer
> 9/10 times they are used in radar or some type of imagining, IC emulation is the special case
> an FPGA board costs <100 bucks, if you're an EE don't be a jew
>>
>>58800624
Never tried anything from Xilinx, but Altera's tool, Quartus works on Linux. Also there is a FOSS toolchain for programming a couple of the Lattice chips.
>>
I'd love to learn more about these things, do you know any links I can go to where I can learn about these more? Thanks
>>
>>58800735
This is a pretty good starter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsHwi4M4xE
>>
>>58798421
I got a Nexys 4, school payed for it.
>>
>>58800758
I can't stand that guy's screechy voice.
>>
File: 1(244).jpg (205KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1(244).jpg
205KB, 500x375px
FRIENDSHIP ENDED with Xilinx

Altera is my best friend now
>>
>>58801908
Jewtel will somehow jack up the price until everybody stops using.
>>
>>58801823
Wot the h*ck is wrong with it?
>>
>>58801935
There's competition in the FPGA market and intel isn't the market leader
>>
>>58801823
You are me anon.
I can't stand the way he speaks. Otherwise, I think he's pretty based, but his voice. HIS FUCKING SQUIRREL-WITH-MASHED-BALLS-VOICE.
I can stand Electroboom tantrums about Trump, the thick english accent of Technomoan, the fact that Druaga1 is exhausted, the autism of the server guy, but that voice is my limit.
>>
V5QV master race

https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/fpga/virtex-5qv.html
>>
File: shia.gif (1MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
shia.gif
1MB, 680x680px
>>58802700
>druaga1 doesn't really smoke weed

first i was afraid, i was petrified
>>
>>58802722
The poor guy should smoke a joint. At least he will be more relaxed doing his videos.
>>
>>58800650
>>58798421

what are the benefits of using a FPGA over commodity hardware for something like video rendering or video processing?

can anyone steer me in the direction of an entry level FPGA for video processing/rendering/playback?
>>
>>58801823
HAI
>>
>>58798421

ICEZum Alhambra with ICEStudio
>>
>>58805222

And I do it for maximum freedom
>>
>>58800624
I tried Xilinx ISE, it's somewhat a pain (mostly because it depends on outdated shit) but it works
>>
I am doing my master in (experimental) physics and generally fpga is not something a physicist even hear about, but my uni decided to offer a course where they teach the basics about it (which includes lab activities obviously).
Now, the course in primarily aimed to (future) nuclear physicists, since fpga are extensively used in the detection systems of experiments in particle accelerators, which is not my main interest. On the other way, it is widely known that a lot of physicist end up working on software or engineering fields somewhat unrelated to their original major (mathematical finance, machine learning ...).

Do you think it would be just a waste of time for me, considering my limited knowledge about DSP? I find fpgas very interesting and I thought it could be an interesting skill to put on my CV.
>>
>>58800382

I would F that PGA if you know what I mean
>>
I don't want to be that guy, trying to start flame wars 'n shit. But ... VHDL or Verilog?
>>
>>58805823
Depends where you at
Burgers : verilog
Yuropoors : vhdl
>>
>>58805888
I understand, how hard is to learn the other if you already know one anyway?
>>
>>58805906
I only know vhdl, but from what i read it isn't hard at all to switch if you already know one
>>
>>58802764

Typically if you have something that needs to be done in real time you'd use an FPGA.

If a sensor shits out 5 gb/s out across 100+ pins then you would break out the FPGA to deal with this data. Video rendering isn't something that's that demanding.

You probably could make an FPGA do video processing/rendering pretty fast but I don't think anybody does.

Just get a GPU.
>>
>>58798725
Sorry for the late response.
Yes I use them, mplabx and x8c. I don't know anything else desu because I've been taught with these but I'm not going to shit on them because they do the job.
>>
>>58806744

> you have to pay for a compiler that isn't trash

fuck microcuck and MPoolab
>>
>VHDL toolchains
>>
>>58805800
sure, go for it.
>>
>>58805906
VHDL, and not very hard.
>>
>>58798421
Xilinx Zynq 7010, ive never used xilinx ise but xilinx Vivado is great easy to setup and use and compatible w linux but is only compatible w xilinxs newer chips.
>>
>>58807983
afaik ISE is there only to keep compatibility for older devices or projects, so there is definitely no reason to use it over vivaldo
>>
File: 1485623930946.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1485623930946.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>
what about some good learning resource?
I head that "Designer's guide to VHDL" by Ashenden and Lewis is pretty good.
>>
>>58808904
>head
heard
>>
>>58808904
there is also a document called "vhdl tutorial" floating around written by the same author. it's concise and can get you to write intermediate modules in a day or two
>>
>implying there are any non-consumerist faggots here on /g/
Xilinx mustard race here
>>
>2017
>the year of our lord and savior
>EVER using VDHL over SystemVerilog
>EVER using Xilinx products

Shiggy diggy.
>>
>>58809850
lol
>>
File: de0.jpg (405KB, 2000x1680px) Image search: [Google]
de0.jpg
405KB, 2000x1680px
>>58798421
i use this.

However unless you actually need those hex displays:
>>58800382
the de0 nano still has LEDs for the purpose of having some kind of on board check that your logic is function correctly.
>>
bamp
>>
>>58800905
Look at Rockefeller over here
>>
Intel Altera 2
>>
Maybe this is the right place to ask.

I need an dev board capable of acquiring and converting an analog signal trought an adc with a sample rate around 5Msa/s, and then trigger digital output, depending of that signal, with a very low latency.
(10us would be great, between the time of the reading of the analog signal and the moment of the output pin state change)

Should i use an fpga or a microcontroller ?

I already tried with a arduino DUE by it is just too damn slow.
>>
>>58813529
>arduino

yeah, nah, use a micro controller
>>
>>58813529
A soc will be fine
>>
>>58813957
Jitter in sampling rate tho
>>
Why is Vivado so fucking obtuse?
>>
>>58813652
>>microcontroller

>yeah, nah, use a microcontroller
>>
>>58801823
It's the price you have to pay, because his content is good and he's based.
>>
Which FPGAs have the best Linux development environment? I want to play around with prototyping some stuff but I haven't ever played with FPGAs before.
>>
>>58818440
Look into iCE40 from Lattice.
>>
>>58818526
Neat, I am. Thanks.
>>
FPGA is dead - worked 3yrs as hw designer. You can have better mpus and creazy good DSPs. End this.
>>
>>58819309
What is the best hardware for taking an hdmi input, doing a bunch of processing to it and outputting it?
>>
>>58819309
I'm building a hybrid-architecture radio you faggot. Nothing else will do for my design. The ability to, at zero-cost, reconfigure my whole architecture will be very nice.
>>
>>58798421
I used an FPGA in a university course, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what the model was.
All I remember was using Xilinx ISE and thinking how fucking shitty it was.
>>
>>58798421
none unforunately
during first semester of my ee uni we had classes where half of time was saying how altera and xilinx are jews and how we can reduce gate count by 60 - 90 %

pretty fun classes tho
>>
>>58819309
I thought it was a technology at its peak considering all those applications. Maybe it's "dead" only in your particular subfield?
>>
>>58806671
So how do FPGAs into storage? The cheapest FPGAs I've seen with 6gps serial transceivers cost more than 300€.
>>
>>58819309
FPGAs usually have hundreds of integrated DSPs.
>>
>>58819731
>>
>>58821953
yes, me. what were you trying to say
>>
>>58822393
>>
File: DE1-SoC_Layout_top_01-01.jpg (543KB, 1533x1045px) Image search: [Google]
DE1-SoC_Layout_top_01-01.jpg
543KB, 1533x1045px
Wow, an FPGA thread on /g/. Anyone here use pic related? $175 for 85k logic elements and a dual core A9 sounds too good to be true. Is terasic going to release an updated version soon?
>>
Why are fpga's so expensive?

Would anyone recommend the Mojo v3 for a starter?
>>
>>58798421
I need at the very least USB 3.0 but fucking give me SATA 3 you FPGA manufacturer negroes.
>>
>>58819616
> Nothing else will do for my design
Google ADC and MPU, also check the firm Texas Instruments. GL with your hobby

>>58820295
>>58824023
IMO it had its peak cuz of the R&D centers - developing prototypes and basics for ASIC dev. They are the main guys you use it, cuz of this the price of this is high.

I said its dead cuz of the community and 3th party support. You must lick Altera/Xilinx ass for IPs. From my experience you can find more info (doc and sources) for asm x86-64
>>
>>58824674
I think the peak has yet to come, otherwise why would Intel but altera. We don't see much cause the hobbyist community doesn't have an appreciation for verilog or VHDL. Looking at the open source options is frankly sad.
>>
>>58820325
In the demanding applications like telecommunications and high-tech prototyping, $300 would be on the order of rounding error
>>
>>58805906
I've worked with both, getting used to VHDL after Verilog took a while.
Most of the time I find Verilog more pleasant to write, but it just can't match the (static) verification capabilities of VHDL's elaborate type system
>>
File: fpga.png (75KB, 965x291px) Image search: [Google]
fpga.png
75KB, 965x291px
will girls notice me more if i buy this?
>>
>>58823964
Don't you generally need a shit ton of boilerplate to get anything done on A-line ARMs?
Otherwise the board looks very capable.
>>
is it worth getting into FPGA for an undergraduate in CS or all the jobs are for EEs?
>>
>>58805823
I like verilog more since it's so simple as you're dealing with simple concepts like wires and latches. I think VHDL is all around better however for the same reasons I think Ada is better than c.
>>
>>58825227
FPGA is more of a CE thing. Undergrad EE and no cs ever really touch the things.
>>
>>58825127
>$41K
what the actual fuck
>>
>>58825326
so that's a "no"?
>>
>>58826041
if you think you can put in enough effort to complete a few classes worth of knowledge by yourself, then it is worth it. Just keep in mind FPGAs aren't exactly easy to learn.
>>
File: usrp.jpg (289KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
usrp.jpg
289KB, 1200x1600px
>>
> the FPGA needs 5 different power rails
> hurrr at least we shrunk the package down to 30mm^2 with 700 BGA pads to save space
>>
File: untitled.png (91KB, 677x513px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
91KB, 677x513px
>>58827951
muh low power consumption
image related, the E variants don't have internal 1.2V regulators
>>
>>58805823
VHDL - Java
Verilog - C

Easy choice.
>>
>>58828096

those are provided that you can get the power it needs

your power supply probably won't break thermodynamics
>>
>>58828416
That's a gross simplification. In some ways VHDL is more like C as it's more deterministic.
>>
>>58828416
Nope.
VHDL -> Ada
Verilog -> C (kindof)
SystemVerilog -> C++ (kindof)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoSF4ZoDuRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9vEKyJScYw
>>
Does anybody know of a good gate array for a person who is on the go? When I'm in the field I can never get one to program.
>>
had to use a DE0 Cyclone V for class. Verilog is fun as fuck, I want to make a miner.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.