[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>youll never develop a language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: images.png (6KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6KB, 213x237px
>youll never develop a language
>>
But I did already
>>
I don't care
>>
>>58794416
good thing actually

>link to xkcd comic about competing redundant standards
>>
>>58794443
so why respond then dumbass
>>
>>58794416
Good, that means less competition to the competition of old shit langs.
>>
>>58794416
If you ever took any course related to compilation and PLs, you'd know how painfully boring it is.
Thank god we're born in an era with high abstraction tech
>>
>>58796565
>you'd know how painfully boring it is
this, to be honest
It's literally making a string into a tree, sorting it around a little and visiting its nodes to emit machine code. More or less.
>>
>>58796565
>>58796604
>you'd know how painfully boring it is.

The most interesting part about interpreters IMO is the host language interaction API, because it tends to show how powerful your host language is.
>>
File: 1448728654432.png (30KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1448728654432.png
30KB, 633x758px
>>58794416
>tfw you'll never be a pioneer in new cutting edge software development techniques
>future programmers will never look up to you and want be just as influential as you were
>>
File: 1483569891823.jpg (41KB, 503x501px) Image search: [Google]
1483569891823.jpg
41KB, 503x501px
>>58796660
>cutting edge software development techniques
I believe the term is "Methodologies"
>>
>>58796660
Them pioneers fucked up so much, future programmers will hate them, because unlike recent retards they don't share the retro euphoria.
>>
>>58794416
You could just write a kind of translator retarded syntax lang to something usefull, like C or something.
>>
>>58794416
Do some weird defines in c++
Compile shit.
Congratulations you did it, technically. Why care?
>>
>>58797200
>why care

because i want to be remembered
>>
>>58794416
How do you define a language?

In languages like Lisp, Scala and Haskell you have the ability to extend the language to whatever you need.

In Scala for example you can define Domain Specific Languages DSLs and define expression that work like any other built in flow or control structure.
>>
>>58797284
have kids
>>
>>58794416
terry created HolyC

you could create DamnedC
>>
>>58797284
>wanting to remembered
You know how good things are forgotten but the bad things not?
Create something edgy - even more so than Perl - for the JVM/CLR to embed and sell it as "powerful". In reality, it will drive companies bankrupt.
>>
>>58797455
DemonicD
HeresyHaskell
>>
>>58797455
No thanks, C++ has already been created.
>>
>>58797284
most languages are used very sparsely.
Take julia for example. Excellent language for scientific computing. Who uses it? I know no one desu. People stick to Python and Matlab, despite being much worse.

You will only be remembered if you design the next Java, and honestly I don't think that will happen soon, it's not even a matter of being a genius is a matter of market needs. Until a new critical need that Java / C / etc aren't able to fulfill arises there will be no opportunity to create "the next big thing".
>>
>>58797972
Isn't Julia pretty popular in bleeding edge finance/quant shit these days?
>>
Just target C/javascript or LLVM.

Pretty trivial, just time-consuming
>>
>>58794416

I could totally get the concept down, but I'm way to lazy to fuck around with lexers and parsers.

But I could tell you about my language is anybody was interested.
>>
>>58799436
Do it so i can [spoiler]steal it and become rich[/spoiler]
>>
>>58799436
Go ahead, can't be worse than a 90s scripting language.
>>
>>58794926
That comic has come up 7 times today in different conversations with different people. They were always the ones that brought it up or made reference to it.

I think the universe might be trying to tell me something
>>
>>58799553
You just got baader-meinhoffed
>>
File: 8692-f19.jpg (45KB, 631x360px) Image search: [Google]
8692-f19.jpg
45KB, 631x360px
>>58797972
this

also people need to keep in mind that a "language" is trying to optimally implement computer science theory on the constraints of the processor du jour.

I don't think people would be screwing with c++ and CLR if we were still using 286s. That being said if Xeon Phi ever goes mainstream maybe you will get to design a language after all.
>>
>>58799565
W-what does that mean? Is it bad?
>>
Someone really needs to make a language in binary. I'm sick of all this bloated high level shit.
>>
>>58799593
The Baader-Meinhof phenomenon is where you start to notice something way more right after you've learned about it.
>>
>>58794416
If you wanted to you would read something like LISP (Lisp In Small Pieces) to see how interpreters work then you would want some serious academic book like this http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/pfpl.html

Afterwards you'll realize you probably don't actually want to develop your own language and would rather just roll a DSL and interpreter.
>>
>>58799593
You're gonna start hearing a lot about it soon.
>>
>>58799503

I wouldn't even mind. I have a concept somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now. So here are just some basic thoughts and the stuff I remeber right now, not the complete details..

I was trying to reduce the syntax as much as possible, but without unnecessary abstraction. I write some "example code":

// read from std-in, store in int "a" and "B", upper case values are always immutable
-> int a
-> int B

// would be compile error "variable b not defined yet"
-> c

// return a to std-out
a ->

// a function ("return" is an implicit value, type is the function return type)
string Fizz_buzz (int i) {
i % 3 == 0 -> return = "Fizz"
i % 5 == 0 -> return += "Buzz"
return == "" ? return _1
}

// a function, optional types, implicit names
int Add(int, int, [int]* ) {
return += ($1 + $2)
return += [$3..]
}

// map range and write to file, the file gets generated if not existing
[1-100] -> Fizz_buzz -> "./output.txt" (append)

// errors, further I/O, parentheses are optional
[
"./output.txt" -> Get_lines -> (First_characters(4) != /[0-9]/ ? Del) -> "./output_only_numbers.txt"
] Error(IO) ? "File not found!" : "Done!" ->

// networking ("Ping" and "Get" are fixed commands)
Ping -> [IP: 192.168.1.1] -> "./responses.txt"

GET "https://www.google.de/search?q=java" -> [Status: 200] ? -> "./sites/results.html" (HTML only, replace)
>>
>>58800060

I messed up the fizzbuzz, function, here is it again:

string Fizz_buzz (int i) {
i % 3 == 0 ? return = "Fizz"
i % 5 == 0 ? return += "Buzz"
return == "" ? return = i
}

If it's a function without return value, there is no variable called "return" of course, and trying to write to it will result in an compile error.
>>
>>58799688
I learned about this comic years ago when it was first put up though. And holy shit, it happened again while I was typing this post
>>
>>58794416
write a compiler for brainfuck but change all the operands to 2hus
there's yr language
>>
>>58794416

Who ever brags about how many lines of code their compiler has is a fuckin nigger. The reason they do that is to intimidate you.
>>
>>58800122
>>58800060
Seems neat. I like the minimal syntax idea. Though i'm a bit confused about the function of ?. Is it an if statement equivalent?
>>
>>58794416
its alright, niggers and corn niggers never developed a written language either
>>
>>58800216

Thanks!

I've basically borrowed some ideas from Go and Ruby (the Arrows are inspired by Go channels, but they are the default for processing and I/O, not for concurrency).

The "?" is just an if-statement, the "else"-part is optional:

(a == "test" ? "yes!" : "no..") -> ".result.txt"

// if a string is entered, nothing happens:
"Please enter a number:" ->
-> Type_of(int) ? -> "Thanks!"

// if a string is entered, it gets casted to a number
"Please enter a number:" ->
-> (Type_of(int) ? _ : Ascii_value ) -> "You entered: { _ }" ->
>>
>>58794416

languages don't all have to be c++

you can make a compiler in 500 lines easy
>>
>>58797284

This is the voice of your ego. If you listen to it, there will always be someone who seems to be doing better than you. No matter what you gain, ego will not let you rest. It will tell you that you cannot stop until you’ve left an indelible mark on the earth, until you’ve achieved immortality. How tricky is the ego that it would tempt us with the promise of something we already possess.
>>
>>58794932
cause I don't care about what I don't care
>>
Xenzj ju geihzc

That is a new language I just invented. It translated to OP is a faggot.
>>
>>58800398
I honestly like the structure of your language, if what you've told us is an indicator of the rest, anyway. Does it support For loops and arrays?
>>
>http://www.emojicode.org/
>>
>>58800398
>The "?" is just an if-statement, the "else"-part is optional:
Wait, aren't you using it in expression context? How does that work? Is this some kind of Christian magic?
>>
File: standards[1].png (24KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
standards[1].png
24KB, 500x283px
>>58794926
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.