/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 47

File: 1486167395415.jpg (37KB, 728x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486167395415.jpg
37KB, 728x400px
Windows Is Da Best OS Edition

Previous Thread - >>58784408
>>
First for Devuan is best OS
>>
Reposting because previous thread reached bump limit:

If I plan to install Win 10 Edu on PC with Windows 7 and intention to dualboot, should I rather:

a) unplug HDD with Windows 7, install Win 10 on another and plug back later or
b) keep Win 7 drive plugged, so Win 10 installation will detect it, but still perform normal fresh installation instead of upgrade

I always keep older Windows installation for a while, in case something would refuse to work on newer OS.

Thanks for replies.
>>
>/g/ says new nvidia drivers will fuck up my card
>install latest driver because bored
>18 celsius less on same game same graphics settings after a year since last driver update
>>
What's the best email service?

>>58791386
What idiot told you that?
>>
>>58791306
unplug W7 HDD and plug in W10 HDD if you want to use W10

OR

unplug W10 HDD and plug in W7 HDD if you want to use W7
>>
>>58791407
>What idiot told you that?
probably you
>>
>>58791417

Why not both?

Im pretty sure people do dualboot two of them. Just wanted to know, if that requires drive with 7 to be already present during installation of Win10 or I should keep it unware that there is another OS and simply select "older" drive to boot instead of new one wehn needed with F12 at the startup.
>>
>>58791449
because
>>
When I watched certain videos with mpc-hc I get these weird ringing noises that occur at specific parts in the video, its not random. I've also tested this with mpv and still get the same ringing sounds at the specific parts. My question is, is this due to bad sound quality of the file, video player settings, or something due with my hardware/drivers?
>>
>>58791482

Thats no explanation ;_;
>>
How do I filter all IP and close all ports then create a whitelist on Debian. Please provide a step by step guide.
>>
File: 1477863714103.jpg (147KB, 600x534px) Image search: [Google]
1477863714103.jpg
147KB, 600x534px
My pc has been acting weird lately and now doesn't work at all.

The first thing I noticed was that games started to freeze irregularly for ~3 seconds, before there's a chirp noise coming from the computer case it self and the fps increasing to 100+ again. This is why I think it was my main drive SSD starting to die (which I keep my games on).

Then one day, one boot, I wasn't connected to the internet. I restarted the computer and then all was fine. huh.

Since then I've been getting weird bluescreens followed by boot loops until I've restarted it manually. With error messages such as "cfos driver not loaded (turbolan)"

But today, I can't even boot into windows. I get the windows loading logo then a black screen until I unplug the power. Then it boots into the windows restore thing, and alternates if I restart it again. I neither can do a system restore upon boot (error 0x800700b7).

I did however manage to grab a boot log which might tell the whole story.
http://pastebin.com/c3z7RWLP

Do you think it's a hardware of software faulty? I honestly can't afford to buy new shit. Will a windows reinstallation do?
>>
>>58791449
Why would you dual boot the same OS? Either use w7 OR w10, there's no sense using both.
>>
>>58791662

I thought that there might still be compatibility issues.
>>
If I were to write a backend REST API in whatever language, and a REST client in a JS framework on the frontend side, would I _need_ to have the backend be publicly exposed?

tl;dr: REST BACKEND <- JS FRONTEND <- BROWSER. Does REST BACKEND need to be public?
>>
>>58791644
Start with (in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/00firewall)

iptables -F
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP

Build from that. Look into guid matching and sg for restricted network access. Privoxy is your friend too. Turn logging on and use Privoxy's edit screen to your advantage. No inbound ssh - don't do it!
>>
Hey /g/

Using powerline adapters atm, to a room 1 floor upstairs from where the main modem is. Except my speed is like 5 mb/s when my speed that I'm paying for is 76 m/bs. I've tested downstairs with a wired connection and I am getting that speed. Not sure why the powerline is gimping me so hard.

What are my options instead? Put an AP somewhere, I'd like to avoid drilling holes where possible if that's alright. Thanks in advance.
>>
What are the recommended consumer whore router brands nowadays?
I'm looking for decent one for around 100 bucks with 1GBit Ethernet.
>>
>>58791937
Anything with a lot of flash that can run OpenWRT. Never use stock firmware cuz bad hombres will own it.
>>
>>58791937
Ubiquity
>>
which is the best choice over 100hz monitor in this list that's actually worth the money? don't really feel like shelling out 700-900 dollars for one

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=100,180
>>
>>58791898
If your house is wired for cable - coax, you can use that. Get a couple of adapters and dedicate one of the runs to ethernet.
>>
>>58791651
Anyone?
>>
>>58791651
From your boot log it loads all your drivers but stops when trying to load the proponents for running the actual hardware. You have a lot of unloaded boot logs related to hardware and adapters.

I'm no pro but it looks like Windows has become corrupted, you have SSD failure or you have MOBO failure. Try cradling your SSD and hooking it into another PC if it boots up fine then it's MOBO failure. You could also try a clean install of windows to see if that solves it. If it does it was just windows corruption.

If your SSD doesn't work being cradled and a fresh install of Windows doesn't solve it then your SSD might be dead.

Just my 2 cents.
>>
File: potato yui.jpg (81KB, 684x912px) Image search: [Google]
potato yui.jpg
81KB, 684x912px
What's a good web browser for Android that has the address bar at the bottom
>>
Whenever I start up a game or some other intensive application, my PSU starts spinning its' fans very loudly. Now this is fine and all, but the problem is, the fans never go back down to idle levels afterwards unless I shut the computer down completely. A regular restart only makes them a bit slower.

Is my PSU kill? It's about 6 years old at this point and has worked very well and this is the first problem I've had with it. It's always been fairly loud, but I haven't noticed it until recently since I've bought better components with better coolers.

The PSU is a Corsair 650W, I don't remember what series, but it was nothing special.
>>
Now that it's out and running for a while, are Windows 10's security/privacy issues as bad as people were afraid they were going to be?
A handful of features and games that I am interested in are going to be 10 exclusive, so I'm now considering it again, but I can live without a game or two if the privacy/security concerns were validated. I remember someone once saying it can even reset your settings without asking you when certain things update.
>>
File: 1483148728071.jpg (307KB, 1280x1630px) Image search: [Google]
1483148728071.jpg
307KB, 1280x1630px
Anyone here installed Win8.1 to USB flash drive?
I'm trying to make a live Windows USB similar to a linux live USB.
Mainly to run a few windows only applications.
After looking around I found this
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124

My question is, What happens to the windows activation?
>>
>>58792041
Thanks for the cents. I was considering the SSD to be faulty but I mean, I can boot into safe mode just fine and backup all my files there to my external hard drive. So I guess the SSD does work....?

I was considering buying a new speedy m.2 drive anyway so I guess this is a good time as any to upgrade (and to clean install windows)
>>
File: 1447311953754.jpg (394KB, 1050x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1447311953754.jpg
394KB, 1050x1400px
Where to download unactivated Windows 8 ISO?
>inb4 microsoft site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
M$ require you to download their media creation tool, which doesn't work on WINE.
>>
File: 1407077098164.png (140KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1407077098164.png
140KB, 250x250px
I have 2 monitors that can connect with HDMI and only 1 HDMI port/cable that goes into my gpu.

I heard there is something called a HDMI switch (I think) that can solve this problem (just push a button on the switch to send the hdmi output to one monitor, or the other). is this how it works?
I am sumimasen for being le baka.
>>
>>58792147

First of all, Home edition is pretty castrated and leaves little for user to decide. Thats a fact and none of the Windows users will actually defend that.

As for privacy issues - it really depends on what you alone consider "privacy invasion" and what not. Read MS own articles about:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

Few anons on /g/ already confirmed that there is no extra data sending other than what was described above, so you have to decide for yourself.

Also, many "apps" packages can be easily removed via PowerShell and they no longer come back with updates.

As for settings resets, it was a bug linked with one of "major" updates which actually works more like installations (hence the "windows old" folder created after the update). MS fixed that but time will tell if this wont return during future major updates. Around April or something MS will roll next "big" update, by the way.

It is recommended to get at least Pro version (for Group Policies editor - most options are hidden here now) but if possible, its better to grab Enterprise, Enterprise LTSB (Long Term Service Branch) or Education. Some people also prefer N versions (European versions, which comes without Media Player and related packs), but I consider them to be problematic. I can confirm that "Pro N" on my laptop came without advertising, Skype and Twitter packages, tho.

Server 2016 is nice option as well.
>>
File: Bedouin mother.jpg (208KB, 947x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Bedouin mother.jpg
208KB, 947x1280px
>>58791241
Where can I find copyright free music for commercial uses?
>>
>>58792564
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/
https://www.freesound.org/
>>
>>58792564
https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music
some require attribution or have some other special license requirements.
>>
>>58792610
>>58792611
Wow! I appreciate your fast answer, guys!
>>
Following problem
>have Geforce GTX660
>decide to upgrade to Radeon RX 480
>have to disconnect a SATA-drive because the cable needs to run over the Graphics card to reach its slot
>also put in more RAM while at it (have 2x4GB sticks, now have 2x4GB and 2x8GGB)
>close PC
>boot up
>normal GRUB 2.0 show ups
>Select Ubuntu 16.04 64bit
>normal Login-Screen
>try to log in
>suddenly screen black with that screen where it shows the OS installation, files and blocks
>back to login screen almost instantly (had to use camera to film the screen and then look it up in the video to see what the writing was)
>try Guest Login
>exactly the same
>Windows installation still works perfectly
What can I do? I made sure that the SATA-drive I disconnected is back in solidly AND it wasnt even my OS-installation harddrive.

Also, while I'm at it, how do I change my Drive-Letters in Windows? For some reason my external drive has been renamed from G: to H: which fucks up my filing system.
>>
>>58792640

>Also, while I'm at it, how do I change my Drive-Letters in Windows?

Right click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management, then right click on drive you want to change and select "change letter".
>>
What's the most up-to-date method for overclocking a GPU? I have a Asus GTX1070.
>>
File: Number one butt.gif (2MB, 383x302px) Image search: [Google]
Number one butt.gif
2MB, 383x302px
>>58792745
thanks. I kept looking in the device manager. Have this as a thank you
>>
>>58791241

beautiful desktop OP, just remove le recycle bin
>>
>>58791241
I was thinking of updating to windows 10 LTSB to avoid all the headaches

But I hear it comes with a lack of a lot of stuff. what do I need to install for it to be usable in the sense that Windows 7 works out of the box?

I'm trying to avoid all the bullshit ads and crap
>>
any recommendations on Win10 programs that play an audio file (background) only when there is no other program playing any sound (if there's any)?
>>
>>58793116
Enable the old photo viewer.
>>
>>58793116

Personally, I advise to get Education instead. No ads, no Cortana but unlike LTSB gets the new builds and other advantages of normal versions.

Unwanted apps are easy to remove with PowerShell, if any. Can be done with script too.
>>
>>58793150
can I still get new build features with LTSB?

even if it means I have to manually install them thats ok
>>
>>58791241

What are a few good certifications or a few good skills to have for someone looking for an entry-level tech job?

Related degree but no technology job experience. Want to build on that.
>>
How do i stop Geforce experience from searching for updates?
>>
>>58793320
don't run it
>>
>>58791241
TEMPLE OS IS WAY BETTER windows cannot even compete with how fast it runs
>>
What would be the best option to run windows only applications?
1. Dual booting
2. Running virtual machine
>>
>>58793320
Uninstall it
>>
>>58793339
i want shadowplay, i want to run it
the SHARE garbage on the newer driver doesnt work for me
>>
How do I turn off calls but not data in android ?
>>
im on gentoo and when i try to use MPV with profile=opengl i get the error "[vo/opengl] Could not create EGL context!"
>>
How do I browse internal storage from 'sd card'?
I can't see "explore" in storage and usb for my internal storage from 'sd card'.
>>
I want to dual boot Windows and Linux in two different hard drives using GPT, where the fuck am I supposed to put /boot/EFI? In Windows' hard drive? Linux's hard drive? Both? And if I put it in boot, what do I select as primary boot device?
>>
>>58793696
Install windows first, then install linux. It'll handle shit automatically. Make the linux drive your boot drive.
>>
>>58793696
you either;
a. place a bootloader such as GRUB on one of the disks, and set your firmware to boot from that disk, select the OS using GRUB
b. keep them entirely separated, have a bootloader on both drives, and select the OS using your firmware to boot from either of the disks
>>
>>58793643
Ah found it, it's under /mnt/expand/.
You can browse it if you're rooted then use Root Explorer apps or something like that though.
>>
What happened to desktop/rice threads?
>>
>>58793474
Turn on airplane mode, then turn on whichever individual services you want.

>>58793320
Find its folder (C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience) and create a file called "update" with no extension.

>>58793350
For max efficiency/compatibility, dual booting. Vm is more convenient for light software, but most resource intensive stuff won't work unless you set up a GPU passthrough. If you tinker a lot you can get some things to run in wine.
>>
>>58793165

I admit I never used LTSB version, but from what anons on /g/ already said, you would need to download image with new build and reinstall the system.

But again, thats just what I learned at /g/, never tested it myself.
>>
>>58791651 here
"mdsched.exe" is supposed to test for faulty ram. Are they 100% healthy if nothing wrong shows up?
>>
Why would you want to use a RAMdisk?
>>
>>58794055
For the same reason you would want to use an SSD over HDDs. It's an order of magnitude faster. For something like photo/video editing that could make use of the extra speed it could really help
>>
I'm running dragonflyBSD on my laptop (an old dell inspiron) atm, and intermittently the hard drive disconnects and reconnects, causing the filesystem to be remounted read-only. It only seems to happen when I move the machine;

Is this some sort of intended behavior?
How can I remount the filesystem as rw without a reboot?
>>
How do I let a standard user install things in W7 without making it admin?
>>
>>58794132
Enter the admin password every time you want to install anything
>>
>>58794152
I want to avoid that
>>
>>58794177
What is it you think "standard user" means?
>>
>>58794199
Was it really that hard for Microsoft to make an admin account able to grant special permissions to standard users?
>>
>>58792533
Do you have a displayport or DVI connection on the GPU? Just use a fucking adapter for one of the monitors.
>>
>>58794214
You can put accounts into specific authority granting groups, but I'm honestly trying to understand what you're trying to do by making it standard.
>>
>>58794289
Yeah, but $8 feels like a lot to spend on a passive adapter.
>>
>>58794214
how do you define "an install"?
installers can more or less do whatever they want, if you allow anyone to run an installer, someone will just fashion an installer to do whatever they want
>>
I should be able to mix two DIMMs:

>1: Kingston DDR3 1333 CL9 4GB
>2: GSkill or Corsair DDR3 1333 CL9 4GB

in dual channel mode, right? My mobo has 2 slots, can handle 1333 (with OC) and can handle 8GB max.
>>
What happens when you charge a laptop with a higher voltgage AC adapter? Is the laptop responsible for stepping down voltage to meet its spec?
>>
Isn't free software more vulnerable to getting "hacked"? Since the source code is available to everyone you can know how exactly works and attack it easier
>>
>>58791898
You have shitty copper in your house.

>drilling holes
Get a power+ rj-45 panel for your outlet and snake a rj45 to the top computer
>>
I want to build a rig for csgo (low settings) at constant 200-250fps. Im willing to spend around 700. Should I get the i5 6500 with rx470/480 or would the i3 6300 with rx470 do? Trying to avoid the pentium cpus
>>
>>58794412
the laptop may handle a small range around the specified voltage, but that's not in-spec

the official charger IS the spec, anything besides exactly what the official charger produces is automatically out of spec and whatever happens will be your fault
>>
>>58794350
kek
>>
>>58794289
anon, I ask because all the other ports are used.
I have 3 monitors (display ports/dvi), a tv (hdmi) and I'll soon have a cintiq 13hd, and it needs a hdmi port too. I want to switch from tv to tablet easily without having to plug/unplug stuff.
so would a switch do what I want?
>>
>>58794448
>cally out of spec and whatever happens will be your fault
Was just wondering why laptops are made to accept anything but in spec V? Like, why does the laptop step down voltage by design from an out of spec ac adapter? Wouldn't it be better to just refuse it?
>>
File: 1482323960979.png (652KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1482323960979.png
652KB, 1280x960px
This
http://windowsmatters.com/2015/04/17/windows-8-1-x86-u1-pe-with-updateable-usb-portable-apps-2/
is just Win8.1 in pre-install environment, right?
That's why it can run from CD/DVD/USB flash drive.
What's the difference from normal Win8.1?
And why can't you use this to run windows application?
>>
>>58794414
No. The idea is that free software has so many users and contributiors that look over the code base that it is more secure as a result.

If everyone can poke at the code base chances are they are going to spot and fix vulns.

Meanwhile, with a black box like proprietary software, only designated developers (often underpaid and lazy) are the ones that are responsible for security. This is typically a relatively small set of eyes compared to the amount of people that are auditing and working with free software.
>>
>>58794495
are you wondering why laptops accept more than precisely the specified voltage?

most things accept a small range of input voltages, this is just for for tolerance
electricity isn't as simple as it might seem, and components aren't made completely identical every time
if one design is to work consistently with inconsistent inputs and components, the design must be tolerant of these factors
>>
>>58794553
That makes perfect sense. I suspected the answer to be along those lines but just wanted to verify with someone that has knowledge in the domain.
Thank you.
>>
>>58794531
You would like to think this.
Even if the code is up,you need people that cant read and expand on the code.

Just because its open source dosent instantly mean there are 1 million people looking at the code.

Its about the same handful that would be on closed source.
>>
>>58794516
That's windows PE. It's not designed to run like normal windows, it's designed to do repairs etc. It's application compatibility is limited and you have to go through a special process to install any programs at all. It also lacks a lot of the normal features windows has. Microsoft doesn't even bother making you get a license for it. Although they don't do that for win-to-go either, and it sounds like that's what you want.
>>
>>58794568
np, keep in mind that these tolerances are there for a reason

for example, lets say a device wants 12v, but will function from 10-14v
if you give it a 10v supply, there is no tolerance left for voltage drop, and various factors could cause the device to reset or act strangely, despite being in range /on paper/
>>
>>58794586
I was giving examples of mainstream programs with huge userbases

Obviously, no one is looking at your obscure project no matter the license so making something open is not an instant checkmark for security

I assumed that was implied
>>
Is there any practical difference between hdmi and dp at 1080p?
>>
>>58794622
Get a list of the top 10 libre/FOSS software used and it will still be the same.
GNOME
KDE
ETC

It may be open but most people that use it have no idea how to read or interpret,and it is the same small set of developers that contribute to the project.
>>
File: 1427396864863.gif (974KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1427396864863.gif
974KB, 480x270px
>>58794595
>It's application compatibility is limited and you have to go through a special process to install any programs at all
Yeah, after digging around.
It seems the registry is write protected, and doesn't support .NET.
>they don't do that for win-to-go either
You mean, I just need Win8 ISO and use this http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/index.html
And I'll have activated windows 8.1 on a bootable USB flash drive that run like live session?
>>
>>58794621
right, the further you get from the tolerance range the more you push your luck I suppose

I suppose this is why Chink manufactuers brand compatibility with their 16V AC adapters for a laptop model that is made to take 15.6V
>>
>>58791306
semi related to this guys question
i have a system with a single hdd mount, and i want to run lubuntu sometimes
so my idea is to just change out the hdd as i feel like it, going from the xp disk to the lubuntu disk by physically changing the hard drive

anything i should concern myself with this? any possible hazards?

the only reason im not dual booting is because its really fucking hard with XP to get proper partitioning to work, and if i fuck it up i dont have an xp disk
>>
I bought an entry level MacBook Pro 2016 for 2000 Canadian. I have never had such buyers remorse. Will they let me return it and exchange it for the 2015 model (and save 500 dollars)? I just found out the 2015 model is more powerful than this one. Or, is there a good ultrabook with windows for 1500 or less that works well with Linux? As far as I know you can't buy brand new think pads offline.
>>
>>58794661
well, you're thinking about DEs and Linux isn't exactly a shining go-to for desktop use

If you think about server oriented programs then you would see that free software has a larger core development team (the linux kernel is the most popular success story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus's_Law)
Many rely on webservers, core utils, the kernel, etc so you have a much larger audience contributing bug fixes as they are adapting the free software to their needs.

You have academia and business dissecting these for many reasons and contributing back so it allows for a healthier codebase.
>>
>>58794666
if it was a reputable brand i'd say that'd be fine, but chinese stuff can be iffy even if the numbers are right
>>
>>58794743
Ofcourse. I go OEM whenever possible. Saving a few dollars in the shortrun is foolish. Just wanted to have a small foundation of technical knowledge as to how it works.
>>
>>58794721
>any possible hazards?
yea, cutting your hand on any sharp metal in your case

but seriously, no, your OS is completely stored on the hdd, swapping it out to dual boot is, while not terribly convenient, perfectly valid, and will cause no problems
>>
Not sure if a stupid question or not, but I might as well ask here

I've overclocked my i5 4690k to 4.6ghz at a voltage of 1.25, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing since I'm only changing those two settings, but should I push further? Idle temps seem to be around 40c and stress tests make it jump between 60c and 70c but I don't think my fan is on 100%
>>
>>58794784
righto
>>
>>58794739
Even if you only take coreutils and the kernel, there are vastly larger amounts of people who just use it and cant contribute to it at all. Its the same amount of people that would be working on a closed source project.

Just because it is FOSS/libre dosent mean the kernel gets 1 million contributors to it, its the same core group of people that work on it,and across different programs
>>
>>58792640
Still looking for help on this.
>>
I havent done a backup in more than 3 years and im starting to worry.
Im thinking on building a NAS with an Rpi or something like that and an external hardrive, i wont need more than 2 TB. I dont know how NAS work so i have some questions.
1 Is there a way to share the drive with my family but not be able to see/access each others files?
2 Can i backup my computer in my apartment through the internet to the NAS in my parents place?
3 I know the transfer speed will highly depend on the internet conection, but when im on the same LAN, what speeds should i expect?
4 Is Rpi the best value option? I wouldnt mind spending a couple more shekels to improve speed/reliability

Cheers
>>
>>58794662
Kind of. Win-to-go detects and installs hardware every time it boots, but also remembers the drivers for any device it's ever had. So you can run around plugging it into different computers and it will do a quick assessment on every boot, then go with the drivers it needs. Also by default it will disable any internal disks on whichever computer you attach it to, but they're not that hard to re-enable via disk management. There's also a lighter tool that you can use to make a Win-to-go setup

http://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-edition/

>>58794627
Not in terms of audio/video quality.

>>58794721
If you just need lubuntu that occasionally, you might think about putting it on a flash drive. Also you could make a disk image of windows using macrium reflect, then try installing linux alongside xp. If anything goes wrong, just restore the image.

>>58794832
Changing drive letters is an option when you right click the drive under disk management
>>
Here's a q perfect for this thread:

Welp. I wiped out my hard drive.

Any way to access recovery media (online) wo/ PAYING for them to send disks?
>>
File: 1463289499652.png (74KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1463289499652.png
74KB, 300x256px
When purchasing a monitor, do I want 1 MS or 5 MS?

I currently own

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160061

and was thinking of getting https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335&ignorebbr=1 since my current one uses an adapter in order to connect to my GPU
>>
I have one hdmi cable, one tv I use for movies (usually turned off), and one monitor I use.
can a hdmi switch plugged in a computer let me switch which display I put?

please do not recommend me to change my gpu or anything like that. you're avoiding my problem.
>>
>>58795167
>can a hdmi switch plugged in a computer let me switch which display I [output to]?
yes
>>
Can the refresh rate of all 144Hz monitors be set to 120Hz? What is the point specifically of 144Hz anyway? Does it have some advantage over 120Hz other than a more impressive number?
>>
>>58795030
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#File_recovery_tools

>>58795138
If you're just using an HDMI to DVI adapter, I wouldn't worry about it. The new monitor would be a big improvement in terms of color because it's IPS, but that also means you might notice some slight lag in online competitive games. I wouldn't trust the response time too much.
>>
What is Node.js used for? Is it mainly for serverside programming? What makes it better than using php or other languages?
>>
>>58795265
>What is the point of 120Hz?, other then some impressive number over 60Hz?
>>
Is there any advantage in using rosin core solder over regular leaded solder and a tub of flux?
The rosin core is cheaper for some reason
>>
>>58795314
The answer from what I understand is that 120 is a multiple of both 60 and 24 for watching movies, but 144 isn't so I'm curious why it's more common.
>>
>>58791241
These are the running tasks on my fresh Debian install. Anything look out of the ordinary?
>>
How do I do the opposite of Nvidia Surround/AMD Eyefinity: use a 3840x2160 as 2 virtual 3840x1080 monitors for ultrawide vidya?
>>
>>58795382
http://pastebin.com/8XyeUGmE
>>
>>58795300

It's serverside, yes.
If what you're doing is mostly I/O limited it can be a bit faster. Mostly it's just for causing headaches and giving hipsters something to brag about.
>>
>>58795265
literally a marketing gimmick
>>
>>58791241
what's the easiest way to screenshare debian to a mac? My best vnc efforts give me a different desktop session or something...
>>
>>58795424
>Mostly it's just for causing headaches and giving hipsters something to brag about.
To brag about using node.js? A lot of companies are looking for node.js literary programmers though. Are they just following the trend? What would be better than node.js to accomplish the same tasks that its used for?
>>
Are 21:9 monitors a meme??
>>
>>58795300
php information goes from server to web page
node allows you to go back and forth after the page is done loading, passing variables, its fairly simple
>>
>>58795484

node.js does have its advantages (like I said, it can be more efficient with I/O usage) but most people who actually talk about node.js are just following trends.

>>58795528

That's ajax, and you can use it with any serverside language.
>>
>>58794995
There's more powerful hardware out there, but the advantage of the Rpi is that there are a lot of guides and pre-configured software out there for it, and it's powerful enough for a lot of basic tasks. You can password protect each persons computer so their files aren't available to the network at large. A lot of NAS solutions come with ways to share content over the internet. You usually have to figure out some sort of free dns hosting service. You might consider setting up a VPN. Generally don't expect your local network connection to go above 2/3 of the advertised speed, maybe less with wifi.

>>58795493
It's a personal preference. Some people love it, others hate it. Some online games don't allow you to use it for competitive reasons. I'd spend at least a little time fiddling around with one before you buy, unless you don't care about returning.
>>
>>58795493
As a 21:9 user, I sometimes feel like I would have wanted a 16:10 or even 16:9 monitor of better quality over this, simply because 60-70% of the time I don't multitask and applications on fullscreen, like web browsers, don't exactly look neat with all the wasted space.

That said...

Pros:
-Supported games and movies in cinemascope look fucking neato, specially first person games
-Some applications, specifically for music or video creation, do benefit from this as you have more horizontal space which does help
-If you're working with two documents side by side and you don't have two monitors, well, not difficult to figure out that it's going to be more comfortable to work with than the default ratios

Cons:
-Not all fullscreen software supports it
-TV shows = black bars so thick you can easily fit your arm inside
-Image manipulation software, or vectorial, doesn't exactly benefit from this at all, because you also need vertical space
-If you're used to your taskbar/dock/panel whatever on the top or bottom, obviously it's going to take a bit more vertical space, which is already limited
-You're going to get used to this weird ratio after a while, which isn't exactly a good thing
-Not too many resolutions available, and it's not exactly cheap either (that said, I got my 2560x1080 monitor for 160€, I really couldn't find 2K monitors anywhere for that price or slightly higher so I opted for this)
-Oh and good fucking luck finding good wallpapers
>>
Computer from like 5 years ago wouldnt work. It would load up the black screen with white text thing. Randomly was messing with it today and now it works? Any explanations and will it just break on me later?
>>
I'm using an Intel AC-7260 mPCIe card for WiFi and Bluetooth on my desktop. As you can plainly tell the WiFi portion is working but the Bluetooth side doesn't work but in a really particular way.

I've installed the correct drivers from Intel (19.30something) along with the PROSet software, and it shows up properly in Device Manager. But when I go to connect a device it never shows up in the window, even when I uninstall the drivers and use Windows' generic drivers instead.

I know its neither the card nor the device since my phone can pick up any device I try to connect, and my desktop can connect devices when I booted off a Linux Mint USB. I'm hoping to find a solution that won't involve reinstalling Windows but its not a big deal if I need to.
>>
>>58795747
Did you plug it up to the internet? Sometimes rootkits have a deadman switch if they don't get a callback within a certain time frame
>>
>>58794998
>Changing drive letters is an option when you right click the drive under disk management
I mean the Ubuntu log-in problem.
>>
File: veng_k_angle_4.png (143KB, 900x624px) Image search: [Google]
veng_k_angle_4.png
143KB, 900x624px
I'm going to buy a DDR3 memory module.
Should I ignore every offer that has "GAMER" on it's name?

I would feel stupid supporting this kind of stupidity... Having "gamer" on the name does not makes the memory module any gooder.
>>
>>58796093
>Having "gamer" on the name does not makes the memory module any gooder.
... or does it?
>>
>>58796115
Everyone can write "gamer" on the offer' title.
Some generic (unbranded) memories are now "for gamers", "pro", etc!
>>
File: snapshot2.png (43KB, 568x664px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot2.png
43KB, 568x664px
I want to only use one display at a time. would this work?
>>
>>58796093
Is lenovo a good memory manufacturer?
>>
>>58796013
I know. I couldn't resist fucking with you a little. The first thing I would check is the GPU. Try removing it and see if ubuntu works. I don't know about the current gen, but traditionally AMD has pretty poor support for linux. Then I'd try going back to your old ram configuration. Also check that windows is detecting all the drives.
>>
>>58796093
depends...
does your motherboard support the module?

also, gamer probably means it has lower timings and cas latency. not sure if that matters to you
>>
>>58796173
Do you have the switch?
>>
>>58796093
Usually the "gamer" brands are the most reliable. and most brands don't inject gamer into the names. Just get crucial ballistix. Simple black and grey scheme
>>
>>58796173

>>58795181
>>
why does my laptop shutdown when i unplug it
>>
>>58796198
>does your motherboard support the module?
Yes.

>gamer probably means it has lower timings and cas latency
The people who create these offers not necessarily know that these specifications exist...
>>
What's the best commercial laptop brand for general purpose work and gaming(sometimes)?
>>
>>58791241
Ok, so I built a PC about two months ago with plans to upgrade the CPU as soon as possible.

I originally purchased a celeron g1840 and just bought a 4690k.

Problem is, I bought the 4690k used from a friend and don't have thermal paste.

Since the current build is newer, would I be able to re-use the paste that's already on the fan, or do I have to wait to buy more before installing the processor?

I know it CAN run w/o paste, but it'll be way hotter.
>>
>>58796224
Because you cut the electricity supply.
>>
>>58796264
but it has a battry it usualy just dims the screen but now it shuts down the laptop
>>
>>58796261
you really should apply new paste.
>>
File: file.png (953KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
953KB, 1920x1080px
What are tips to prevent this? All these fucking tabs. I need to calm down.
>>
>>58795781
Not sure what that means but im using it rn on the internet. Alot of my files are like gone though and it did some windows repair thing before it turned on. Connected to internet after it fixed itself
>>
>>58791241
Looking for a cheap but decent wifi card for my desktop

Anyone have one in mind?
>>
File: systemd_logo_small.jpg (33KB, 640x372px) Image search: [Google]
systemd_logo_small.jpg
33KB, 640x372px
>>58791241
>https://github.com/theresalu/rspiducky
How can I make this start in the first couple seconds of systemd boot? I tried now multiple ways, like "After=sysinit.target local-fs.target", "WantedBy=base.target" etc. but it keeps starting only just before the dhcp service launches (did I screw something up by basically creating multiple symlinks with "systemctl enable XY"?)
>>
>>58796199
I don't yet.
I am going to buy a GPU, but the one I chose only has one hdmi port, and I'll have 2 displays that work only with hdmi (don't ask about dvi or dp, they're all taken).
before I do buy that GPU I want to make sure that I can do that with a hdmi switch.
>>
>>58796317

close the tabs you fuck
>>
>>58791241
Where is the best spot to buy a cheap hard drives for a backup server?
>>
>>58796197
>traditionally AMD has pretty poor support for linux
Never heard that before. heard the exact opposite.
Windows detects all the drives.
ALso, if it is the GPU or RAM, how would I go about fixing the situation?
>>
>>58796357
I seriously feel like they are all valuable.
>>
>>58796278
Are you sure it has a battery?
Please, provide a picture.
>>
File: USE FREE SOFTWARE.jpg (124KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
USE FREE SOFTWARE.jpg
124KB, 480x320px
>>58796317
USE FREE SOFTWARE
>>
>>58796546
I dual boot Linux Mint, San Goku rms-san..
>>
>>58796202
"Gamer" is not necessarily the brand in this case. People can just type "gamer" on the offer title.
>>
>>58796454
Yeah, Nvidia has given zero fucks about open source support, but their closed drivers have traditionally functioned far better and more automatically than anything AMD put out.

The solution depends on exactly what is causing the problem. Try to narrow it down first.
>>
>>58796558
Does the same problem happens on Linux Mint?
If so, please, provide pictures confirming.
>>
File: foob.png (384KB, 1920x1046px) Image search: [Google]
foob.png
384KB, 1920x1046px
In foobar, is there a way to sort by date, without displaying the date?
I want to sort that album column by date instead of alphabetically
>>
>>58796649
What skin?
>>
>>58796621
disconnected the card, it was apprently that. currently installing drivers....well, preparing for it. Let's hope this works
>>
Is it worth it to get a Comptia a+ or should skip it and get a net+/sec+?

I have no actual tech job experience, but can easily pass the a+.
>>
>>58796754
>>58796621
I ran the script that was in the extracted tar.xz and now the terminal is sitting at "Building initial module for 4.4.0-62-generic" and doing nothing. it's not frozen but not doing anything either.
Good sign or bad?
>>
File: 20170204_152505.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170204_152505.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>58796519
>>
>>58794818
Anyone?
>>
>>58796873
I found the problem: your battery is disconnected. Please, insert it on your notebook, otherwise, it cannot provide any energy...
>>
>>58796929
Kek
>>
File: screenshot_114.png (6KB, 1209x752px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot_114.png
6KB, 1209x752px
I'm looking for a file manager for Windows that has large thumbnail, navigation pane and command line support.

Pic related, it's a rough sketch of what I need
>>
>>58792311
Straight from Microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8ISO
>>
>>58796317
use "onetab", anon
>>
File: images.png (22KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
22KB, 318x159px
Well, does anyone have any knowledge about hacking?

As far as my ends are not bad at all, I really just wanted to learn .... after all I doubt a lot about some things. I simply contradict myself ....

What do I really want to learn? I doubt a lot of my "relationships" although obviously this is wrong ... but simply my case comes to be that I was very difficult to trust someone. I would greatly appreciate your help.

No, I'm not finding you or anyone else. It would be very useful that at least I got to teach the basics, the only thing I ask is education.
Thank you very much
>>
>>58796862
Good. It can take a long time, but it's OK unless it throws errors.
>>
>>58797095
Isn't that how it is by default?
>>
>>58797167
He wants the command line, too, for some reason.
>>
Does Eyefinity still require that you use an ACTIVE DP-to-something adapter on the third monitor? What about Nvidia's solution?
>>
>>58797167
what?
>>
File: worried eat.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
worried eat.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>58796862
>>58796621
Ok, here's what happened
>installation was done
>restarted
>same problem as when I had the Card plugged in but card wasnt plugged in
>gave up, sighed, plugged card back in and mentally prepared to redo Ubuntu installation
>gave it one last try with card plugged in
>worked
>now in Ubuntu
>ran Alien:Isolation as a test
>Warning popped up saying "Doesn't support AMD graphics card" despite it SHOWING the radeon logo at the beginning when I ran it from Windows
>tells me to update driver
>can't do it in Ubuntu Software Center from where I used to update nVidia drivers.
I also can't find Vulcan or catalyst or any AMD programm anywhere, so I can't use any of its features (Which sucks because I have a monitor that supports FreeSynch)
Is this what using AMD feels like?
>>
>>58796929
Do I just get a new battery
>>
>>58796722
idk, it's not my pic
I just have a similar set up
>>
>>58797191
Oh and BTW, I ran Alien: Isolation anyway and it was wonky as fuck. not any decent perfomance at all.
>>
>>58797100
He wants the ISO directly, not the windows only tool.
>>
>>58797191
you installed amdgpu-pro driver, right?
you can try making an initial config with "amdgpu-pro -initial" or something like that. run it as root, then restart your system.

>>58797280
it's the ISO directly you mongoloid. just click the link and choose the version and language.
>>
How can I boot from a USB?

I can't boot from USB, what the hell?
I have an ASUS laptop with W10 on it, and it gives me no option to press F12 or anything upon booting it.
>>
>>58797310
>it's the ISO directly you mongoloid
Look again.
>>
>>58797310
I dont know how to run that command, it says "command not found"
I used a dpkg list command to find out my version and it says "Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend" as well as "Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)"

So I need to install it again? DO I need to uninstall first too? I'm a bit confused here. That's why I prefer files that can be executed by ubuntu softwarecenter
>>
>>58797202
Have you already tried to insert the one you already have? Send pictures, please. I need to check if it's properly connected.
>>
File: microniggers.png (184KB, 1340x865px) Image search: [Google]
microniggers.png
184KB, 1340x865px
>>58797393
Try some european proxy or tor. They obviously don't want muricans to download ISOs
>>
File: 1482174368196.png (385KB, 867x657px) Image search: [Google]
1482174368196.png
385KB, 867x657px
>>58794818
Nobody at all?
>>
When I first started using Arch something gave me the impression that yaourt was the "main" AUR installer and all the others were alternative. I'm currently having some issues with yaourt and while trying to troubleshoot it actually looked like the opposite was the case. Was I an idiot all this time? Did something happen that made people turn on yaourt? I'm not sure wether I'm out of the loop or I just made some kind of wierd stupid mistake back then.
>>
>>58797394
Their proprietary drivers are wonky as fuck.
Anyway, I'm not sure what the precise name of the command is. Back in the day, it was called catalyst, now they renamed it in the new driver but it uses the same options.
Try writing just amd and then press tab to try auto-complete it.
Or maybe "find /usr -name \*amd\* -type f" and ignore the possible errors.
>>
>>58797517
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table
>>
>>58797442
>Tor for downloading windows ISOs
kek. I believe the words you're looking for are "I was wrong, and I've learned not to call other people names. Thanks!"
>>
>>58797372
Check the manual
>>
>>58797610
It works for me. You just live in a shit country.
>>
File: 20170204_142015.jpg (2MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20170204_142015.jpg
2MB, 2976x2976px
>>58797637
I don't have it with me

I tried holding down and pressing F10-F12 and nothing happens, just boots to W10. What a pain in the ass
>>
>>58797670
probably fastboot or some fuckery like that. try pressing escape instead.
>>
>>58791306
Or you could make it easy on yourself and do non UEFI installs. The only reason you have to even unplug your drives while you install your OS on the other drive is because UEFI is fucking retarded, even though it's supposed to be smarter.
>>
>>58797670
>I don't have it with me
Seriously? Nobody has their manual sitting in front of them. It's called the internet
>>
File: it hurts just a little.jpg (41KB, 524x1009px) Image search: [Google]
it hurts just a little.jpg
41KB, 524x1009px
Alright /g/ents, I was given a Thickbad R60 for free. I want to use it as a shitposting machine. I popped a 160GB HDD into it and then made a Ubuntu live USB drive. It booted from the flash drive and I installed Ubuntu to the hard drive to test it out. That went well and everything worked as it should. But I hate Ubuntu and I only use it for testing purposes because it's compatible with everything from my toilet to my toaster. Anyways, I went to install Debian. It boots to the installer and I select my keyboard and language. It mounts and scans the "CD ROM" and loads components and whatnot just fine. Then it says "detecting network hardware" and stays at 0% for about 15 seconds. Then it just reboots. It happened 3 times. I can't figure out why. I tried swapping the wireless card out thinking that it would help, but then I get a message from the BIOS saying the card is unauthorized. I really don't feel like ripping into this thing and installing Libreboot or Coreboot to fix that. Anyways I took out the wireless card all together and the installer works fine. So I've narrowed down the problem to the card. However the installer says no Ethernet card was found. Does the wireless card handle Ethernet too? My main question here is can just buy a cheap USB dongle or use my desktop to provide the R60 with internet access using a Ethernet cable? Which of these two options is better?
>>
>>58797670
Don't hold down, press repeatedly. Try F2. Or check the fucking manual like the other guy said, it's on their website
>>
>>58797701
You don't have to repeatedly press it. Just holding it down will suffice.

The system detects the key to enter the BIOS has a signal being sent and it will boot you into the BIOS.
>>
>>58797701
>>58797686
Escape did it, thanks. It was fastboot
>>
How do i make my Windows desktop see USB Hard drives as electable media?

I don't wanna juts pull it out, as i dont want the disk to get ruined
>>
>>58797555
tried reinstalling it. here's the instruction i've been following BTW:
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx
It for some reason tells me there to install the driver TWICE or I misread something.

Tried doing it several times now, nothing has changed, driver still only half installed

I have the weird suspicion that this is because I run an INTEL CPU. THe packages available for installing end either in "amd64.deb" or "i386.deb". I have an i5 and run Ubuntu 16.04 64bit
>>
Do wifi signal repeaters increase latency in a noticeable way? for gayming purposes.
>>
Is there a guide for a minimal install of windows 10? I'm running linux, but I want to dual boot for BF1. Should I look for some specific pirated version?
>>
>>58797752
You mean the LTSB version (Long Term Servicing Branch)?
>>
>>58797654
It's ok dude. Your information is just out of date. That's all. Happens to the best of us.
>>
>>58797589
Yeah, that's the main reason I was so worried. How did I ever get the impression yaourt was the primary tool most people used?
>>
>>58797406
I did a diagnostic the battery is our of life
>>
>>58797766
Ah, excellent. Assuming this supports directx12, it should be what I want. Although I'm reading that directx12 isn't actually any better visually.
>>
>>58797743
Nah, that's just the name of the instruction sets.
i386 is named after Intel's 80386 CPU and it's 32-bit.
amd64 is the 64-bit instruction set that both Intel and AMD currently use. It's named so because it was made by AMD as a 64-bit extension of Intel's 32-bit ISA.

The instructions are ok, but the driver is wonky as fuck. You can try reading through /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the driver was loaded in the first place, but I can't help you any more as I don't have any new AMD hardware that's supported by the amdgpu-pro driver.
>>
>>58797770
I just downloaded the ISO. I can upload it somewhere if you know of a good filehost that supports 4 GB file sizes.
>>
File: IMG_20170204_220611-min.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_220611-min.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
Guys I am literally shaking. I removed my cooler and wantedto clean the cpu. I dropped it from about a centimeter onto the pins. I don't know if the one circled was like that already. What can I do?
Sorry repost from /pcbg/
>>
>>58797858
Whoa there. It's not that hard to find windows ISOs. There are torrents everywhere. Going directly to microsoft just isn't good advice anymore if you don't already have access to a windows system. If your country happens to have an exception then good on you.
>>
Trying to install wingpanel on elementary. At first it reported that it was missing some packages and listed them. I went and installed them but it's still giving me an error.
-- Checking for modules 'glib-2.0>=2.40;gio-2.0;gee-0.8;gmodule-2.0;gtk+-3.0>=3.14'
--
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:367 (message):
A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:532 (_pkg_check_modules_internal)
CMakeLists.txt:89 (pkg_check_modules)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>>
File: ayyG.jpg (309KB, 744x1043px) Image search: [Google]
ayyG.jpg
309KB, 744x1043px
Can an anon please tell me how to physically plug this gps into the arduino. The GPS is a GStar R-15E.

I'm not a hardware guy at all.
>>
No big dick answers please but: after year one in college for CS how much should I know exactly? I have a big feeling my course is moving very...slow..
>>
>>58798084
Depends on the classes you're taking, but I personally took the recommended classes. We didn't start doing pointers and classes in C++ until my second semester, class 152. So, you won't know a lot.

Practice programming every day and you will be fine.
>>
this piece of shit flash game i spent possibly literally 30 minutes completing asked me to share the game on social media in order to see the sex scene, i swear to you the button literally did nothing

i closed it in rage but was there any way to bypass this extortion cockblock
>>
>>58798149
Make a bs facebook account. You'll get all kinds of free shit
>>
I need something to play blu-ray, netflix, and x264 AVC. Should I get an used PS3 or is there something better on the market.
>>
>>58798149
by the way while i'm here, the reason it was a piece of shit flash game was cause it was literally a fucking bejeweled clone, and that was the entire gameplay, and it asked you to make dozens of matches for what was ultimately maybe 1/100 of progess. And you had no indication of progress untill it was over. Literally no respect for the player at all.

>>58798238
I've used a Facebook account before, but it got blocked one day from failure to use a real account name. I only assume that since it only showed me a rundown of their rules next time I attempted to log in. It's not a bypass, anyway, but maybe next time I'll have one ready. Though I still don't want to feed these porn sites anyway for the principle of the matter?
>>
>>58797838
I JUST found a tiny note on the download page that say that Vulkan LunarG SDK needs to be installed.
I followed these (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Install-LunarG-Vulkan-SDK.aspx) instructions, which quite frankly seem to have been written by a completely different person and are confusing as fuck.
I just punched whatever it said there into the console and hoped for the best, installed the driver again, restarted, and nothing changed. Especially the parts with the $export was wierd as fuck. (isn't the $ always there and always seperated by a space? I just didnt input the $at all).
I was optimistic but I finally understand all the "how to Install AMD drivers"-memes floating around /g/ and /v/ now.
>>
Other than the version of HDMI, what are the differences between HDMI cables?
As it's digital surely a cheap cable performs just the same as a $100 cable? Is the "shielding" a scam?
>>
>>58798362
There are technically 4 types of HDMI cables, although 99% of the ones you encounter will be the same. The only reason you would need higher quality is if you were doing 30 foot runs
>>
Yo /g/. I'm rocking Bunsenlabs in my new T430 and sometimes, randomly, the dvd tray opens. It doesn't happen during boot and didn't happen once with Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (which came by default).

Any ideas what logs I can check when that happens?
>>
Windows 10 cleaned up with blackbird.
>>
>>58798417
That's fine then the longest I need is 10ft.
>>
>>58798294
Their proprietary driver for linux is a joke. You're better off uninstalling it and using the free amdgpu driver, which should already come pre-installed.
Getting Vulkan to work with the free driver shouldn't be a problem, just install the loader and free vulkan driver from ubuntu repositories.

If you want games, you can try installing Windows into a virtual machine and using PCI-passthrough to assign the GPU to it, while running linux on the integrated GPU.
>>
is cyberfox bloat?
>>
File: ,,.jpg (192KB, 1024x1249px) Image search: [Google]
,,.jpg
192KB, 1024x1249px
My r9 280x is starting to show it's age, methinks. Runs in the 80s for most AAA games, and even the low 90s at times. Is there something I can do to lower the card's temp or is it time for a new one? Even fully dusted out with wires placed in the most air-flow friendly manner, it runs very hot. Still somewhat new to PC tech and the like.
>>
File: dfghdfg.png (10KB, 419x518px) Image search: [Google]
dfghdfg.png
10KB, 419x518px
How do I make side-column headers in Microsoft Word?
like pic related.
>>
File: 1394446256593.jpg (20KB, 361x330px) Image search: [Google]
1394446256593.jpg
20KB, 361x330px
So since Firefox killed off some add-ons like Firefogg, anyone know of any similar easy to use webm makers?
>>
>>58798514
>proprietary
I was trying to use the open one the whole time, but it still seems to need the LunarG SDK
I don't even know where to GET vulkan for Linux, can't find it anywhere.
>>
File: fSSh7df.png (80KB, 500x421px) Image search: [Google]
fSSh7df.png
80KB, 500x421px
>>58797697
Can anyone answer my question? Please.
>>
When I'm playing a game on one screen, I often want to click something on screen 2 without minimizing the game. Is there some program that will allow me to do that?
>>
>>58796332
Bump
>>
>>58798644
Oh lol.

amdgpu-pro which, as I understand, you downloaded from AMD's site, is the proprietary driver.
amdgpu is the free driver and usually comes installed with the dristibution. If it isn't, it usually can be found in the official repositories.
(radeon is the old free driver used by pre-GCN graphics)

So:
1. make sure the free driver is installed - try running "apt search xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu"
2. uninstall the proprietary driver with "amdgpu-pro-uninstall" (as root) as per the guide and reboot
3. check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the amdgpu driver gets loaded
>>
>>58797776
The battery isn't my life.
>>
File: herro.png (763KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
herro.png
763KB, 800x1200px
bool on=false;

function(){
if(x){
on = !on;
}

In this code on get's toggled whenever x happens.
Please explain how this toggle works. In my understanding on just gets set to false.
>>
>got a problem with a galaxy J7
>go to customer service
>ask them to fix it
>they don't want to and tell me it's because of the network
>go to the customer service to ask if they are screwing up with the network those days (I never had any issues with my previous phone), they tell me no and it comes from my smartphone
>go where I bought the phone
>tell them to fix it
>they take the phone
>they send it back
>they tell me it was a software issue, they did a factory reset
>turn on my phone
>welcome screen, pick language, connect to wifi
>an unauthorised factory reset have been made...
>connect to your previous google account
>I don't remember if I even put a google account to this shit
>try to find it with my phone number, name, all my email addresses
>doesn't work
>google how to bypass this shit
>try it
>doesn't work

Why the hell those retards put such useless protections ?
>>
>>58797730
bump
>>
>>58798993
>if condition x is met, you switch the lights on/off
>>
>>58799005
Take it back and tell them you're locked out. Or flash a stock firmware in bootloader mode (if you can even find one).
>>
>>58798731
What cards are those? Can you run lspci on ubuntu (or debian if you already installed it) and identify which cards are those?

Anyway, you can install Debian offline from the install DVD and then install the required non-free drivers. It's either in firmware-linux-nonfree or a specific package - just search the non-free repos.
Just make sure you have repositories set up correctly.
>>
>>58798993
!true = false
!false = true

think about it
>>
>>58791241
anyone have experience as a system administrator?
>how hard is it to get a position as one
>what prerequisites are best to have when applying

seems like the perfect IT job i could get into from what I've been reading
>>
>>58798897
>3. check /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if the amdgpu driver gets loaded
Dunno what that means. Do I look in the directory? do I just type that into the terminal? (says "Permission denied"). i tried sudo and it says "command not found"
>>
>>58799158
It's a BIOS issue I think, because the distro installers work without any cards, but as soon as I put the default one in then it crashes and the computer reboots. I've basically given up on having a wireless card at all, as it's a waste of time and energy for now. I'm about to get my fat lazy ass off the floor and go plug the laptop into my router though and see what happens.
>>
>>58799160
So it becomes "!bool = false" ?

double negative == positive?
>>
>>58799147
>Take it back and tell them you're locked out
That's what I'm gonna do, but fuck, that shit is annoying and now I'm just wondering if this stuff is going to fix the problem I had
>>
How the FUCK do I download Debian?
I made a partition and I put the live install on an external hard drive. I can't boot on to it with the GUI that I see in the tutorials
>>
>>58798897
>>58799212
Wait a second!
I looked up how to install the open source amdgpu driver and did that and everything still runs like shit.
Does that mean AMD cards dont work under Linux?
I can barely run anything, even rimworlds is slow as fuck.
I could run this shit better with my nvidia 660, which is fucking OLD.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Why does AMD announcy so bigly that they support open source endeavours and cant even make a fucking driver for Linux?
>>
>>58799301
Also I want to dual boot.

I ran setup.exe on W10 and reboot the computer to start in Debian to complete installation but I just get an error saying it had an issue booting up W10
>>
There's a couple of game/social groups I want to join but they all use facebook. How hard is it to use facebook with a handle to remain relatively private so my co-workers don't stumble upon wierd shit linked to me? Do you get banned for not using a "real name"? How much of the datamining can you opt out of?
>>
Earlier today I downloaded a program from a fake site, thinking it was the legit one. Before noticing it, I executed it, but before completing the installation I realized it was from a fake site and closed the installer

Question: Am I fucked ? Should I format my computer ? Or is it okay ?
>>
File: helppls.png (87KB, 1184x553px) Image search: [Google]
helppls.png
87KB, 1184x553px
Anyone know why my RAM decided to switch to Single-Channel as opposed to Dual-Channel in the last few weeks/how to fix it?

Left from Jan 22, Right from today. I noticed this only last night and can only use 4GB of RAM since this problem began. I didn't make any adjustments to my RAM or anything that I'd think would effect my RAM in the time frame. In that time frame I've maybe: re-applied thermal paste, add a fan splitter, move fans around, install windows updates.

Since then I've tried the MSConfig adjustment where you untick maximum memory, swapped the places of my RAM ( I only have 2 slots, ITX board), changed my RAM timings/speed, I've tried to look for other RAM configuration options in UEFI to no avail, I'm starting to wonder if a stick randomly shit itself or maybe a slot.

Another question: My RAM is advertised 1866MHz, default my computer runs it @ 1333MHz, tried adjusting it to 1866 but I Blue Screen when I boot with that. Boots just fine at 1600MHz. Why might my RAM not reach the advertised 1866MHz? Do I need a voltage adjustment?

And CPU temps are off, speccy hates APUs.
>>
Did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 in my 5 year old laptop. Somehow the left and right mouse click acts as a delete. What is happening? Is it the drivers or hardware fault?
>>
>>58794828
>Its the same amount of people that would be working on a closed source project.
That's just wrong. There are many parties that contribute patches to open programs while no one cares about closed source besides the group getting paid to work on it. Due to monetary constraints that group is usually small and undermotivated in contrast to people that are openly contributing to free software.
>>
>>58799302
That's AMD graphics for you. The proprietary driver is a royal pain in the ass to get working, but should have good performance if it ever works. Stick to the free driver unless you absolutely must play games on Linux.

As for the log file, open it with "sudo less /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and skim through it (cursor arrows, space scrolls one screen, q quits). It's just to make sure the driver got loaded, so it should have a lot of lines with "AMDGPU(some number): something else".
>>
>>58799302
I hear ya. It's a big enough problem people have gone out of their way to buy Nvidia for linux rigs. Much like ryzen, I'll believe AMDs big promises when I can sit down and run that shit for myself. I would LOVE for them to pull together some real competition, I've just seen too much BS to take it on faith.
>>
>>58799160
I'm thinking so hard about this, dude.
Can you explain on a deeper level how this works in the memory?
>>
>>58799487
Think that !false translates to NOT FALSE, not false is true.

!true translates to NOT TRUE, not true is false.

That's how I think about it.
>>
File: 14862550661221692992445.jpg (2MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
14862550661221692992445.jpg
2MB, 3036x4048px
What's it mean when my printer prints half ass shit like this? I just put in new ink too

Pls help bros
>>
>>58799388
Help
>>
>>58799520
Thank you for the the explanation, but this is where we have to part our ways. was fun god bless
>>
How can i get a legitimate copy of windows 7 home premium taking into account that the license i have is from the manufacturer that pre-installed it and Micro$haft cant verify my code cause of that?
>>
>>58798993
on = !on;
simply means take 'on' and make it the boolean opposite of whatever it is right now. This means false always gets flipped to true and true always gets flipped to false.
on = on;
would be something that just sets to false.
>>
I got a GTX 750 (non Ti), I want to get a 1050ti, I mostly play GTA V, is the performance increase good?
>>
>>58799704
Get RX 470
>>
File: lenoX130_4.jpg (66KB, 940x475px) Image search: [Google]
lenoX130_4.jpg
66KB, 940x475px
I just was given a levino x130e, What should I do with it? prob will just be for office, media player. Stick with windows or what distro should I use?
>>
>>58799438
Ok I reinstalled the proprietary driver.
I followed a tutorial and it should have been successful according to all indicators, including yours.
However: If using the -pro driver, will it say "AMDGPU-PRO(some number): something else" instead in the log? because it doesn't display -PRO.
and I also have the feeling as if I need to install Vulkan or something? I still dont know if I really need to install the Vulkan SDK like mentioned in those instructions.
Also, when I uninstalled the -pro driver I did a dpkg -l amdgpu and it found nothing. still doesnt. finds amdgpu-pro though
>>
File: airdroid.jpg (15KB, 391x373px) Image search: [Google]
airdroid.jpg
15KB, 391x373px
Any opinions on Airdroid? It sounds good but I wanna make sure it's not a botnet
>>
>>58799651
If the activation hotline does not believe that you have a legit license then your best bet for truly legit is to spend a few buck on kinguin. Daz is pretty good though
>>
File: 1475348288754.png (9KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
1475348288754.png
9KB, 120x120px
pdf or cbz?
>>
>>58799783
Results vary from device to device. It's a piece of shit on my LG G4. Airmirror just refuses to work etc.

>botnet
this meme needs to die a painfull horrible death
>>
>>58799843
cbz is a zip archive for pictures, pdf is pdf, I'd go with the pdf
>>
>>58799737
I have no idea how the proprietary driver shows up in the log. I also don't have the hardware to try it right now.
I don't think you need the SDK. From what I understand, the driver already comes with the vulkan driver too. What you need is to install libvulkan1 and maybe vulkan-utils - both from ubuntu repos.
The package with the free driver is called
xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu. The free driver needs mesa-vulkan-drivers if you want to run vulkan with it (also needs libvulkan1).
>>
>>58799783
used to be a great tool for file transfers back in 2012/2013 but more recently the app has more requirements, forced account system, slowed down, etc. It's just a hassle now and eats up storage. Botnet or not I wouldn't recommend.
>>
>>58799793
Haven't tried their chat/phone support as they want me to create an acc, and i'm not willing o go through that bullshit without knowing if it will even work.
My key "should work" (if they aren't massive cucks) in the install process but i didn't want to download an iso full of malware. Does Micro$haft has a digital signature or hash of their iso's available so i can at least verify it if i get it from a torrent or something?
>>
Hey is there a super simple YouTube video or something that can teach someone how to build a gaming PC? I already built mine. But I need something retard friendly so my friend isn't overwhelmed with autism.
>>
What's the difference between these two?
scanf("%d %d", x, y);

scanf("%d%d", x, y);

I'm learning2program, using old C.
>>
>>58791510
Can you test with different hardware?
>>
i don't want 4chan cookies any more but i like the tomorrow theme. does anyone know where i can grab a working CSS?
>>
>>58800001
The first one has a space in between.

5 4 vs. 54
>>
I need to compile a large project that's really cancerous to compile on Windows (because of outdated software that I really don't want to update)

So is there any good software for a virtual server that can suit this purpose?
>>
I've scanned a book into various PDF files. How do I aggregate them into one file? I plan to upload it for people to use for free.
>>
>>58800001
no difference for the program
>>
What kind of brick and mortar store can I go to and buy a 4GB flash drive or two for dirt?
>>
>>58800086
Not really no. What's the project?

>>58800088
Have you checked google yet?
>>
>>58800160
Yeah, mostly online services or ((subscriptions)) for software. The PDFs are like 100mb each. Rather not get arsed with online services since the material is sorta sensitive and it's in 17 parts.
>>
>>58791241
Do I need a VPN if I convert YouTube videos to MP3 on the u.s? Also are any of the YouTube to MP3 apps on google play store safe or any good?
>>
What's a good way to get into mobile phone repair, without spending money on a course?
>>
>>58800200
What about this http://www.pdfsam.org/

>>58800204
VPN? Unneeded. Good apps? Don't know.
For desktop you can use
youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 <video URL>

and then send it over to your phone
>>
>>58800283
Thanks. I'm thinking of doing it on a tablet but it's basically copying and pasting a link so a PC shouldn't be needed but it's defiantly not a bad option.
>>
What's a good PDF reader?
>>
>>58800067
it's scanf so the output is the same like >>58800102 said.
>>
How do you view someone's Google Play reviews? Everyone always mentions that they didn't know they were public when spreading privacy awareness on youtube, but no one mentions the method to check Google Play reviews.

I've tried googling it before but it seriously stressed me out trying to find an answer.
>>
I want to post a photo on my friend's Facbook wall and mark it as graphic content. How do I do this?
>>
>>58791241
Is there a way to get firefox addons on Opera?

>>58800368
Foxit Reader
>>
>>58800160
I'm compiling a world of warcraft trinity core but with a shit ton of edits
>>
Cox shut off my Internet for the first time ever due to torrenting. I had a warning a few weeks ago I ignored, because it was the first one I've ever gotten in over 8 years of torrenting with Cox.

I don't want to rock the boat, so I have been simply using MEGA to download tv shows instead, but I've been debating just purchasing a VPN subscription and torrenting through that instead. Any recommendations for a VPN for torrenting?

Also, I do pay for cable as well, is there an easy way to just rip shows from my cox DVR instead?
>>
What version of Windows 10 should I install?

Pro/Enterprise/Enterprise LTSB?

I'll be playing vidya.
>>
>>58800460
Mulvad.
>>
>>58800204
I doubt you need a VPN for that, I've downloaded so much music that way and never had any issues. There's no way to monitor it aside from your ISP maybe, and they wouldn't give a shit.
>>
>>58800267
Acquire broken phones. Take them apart. See if you can fix them.
>>
>>58800477
Thanks, I'll check them out.
>>
heres a dumb question how do i root my galxy s4 phone ive waited long enough
>>
>>58800368
Adobe Acrobat Reader? It is the one I'm using on windows.
>>
>>58799651
>>58799910
Guess i will get a copy from TPB and run it on a VM.
I just don't understand how they can get away denying their products to costumers that payed for them.
>>
Is software audit a thing in mexico?
>>
>>58800499
At the risk of sounding even more like an idiot; required tools, etc? Suggested reading?
>>
>>58800578
http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

Just go for the torrent
>>
File: Kindle.jpg (44KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Kindle.jpg
44KB, 400x400px
Should i get a kindle? i need to read a lot of shit for college and i just don't feel like printing shit and i want it to fit in my backpack.
i was thinking about pic related
can i just put my PDFs freely or am i forced to purchased e-books only?
>>
What's the most powerful laptop money can buy in terms of CPU performance mostly? Don't care about gpu at all, I just want the best CPU money can buy, without it looking like childish gaming stuff (for business environment, any look is ok as long as it's not ugly). Asking for a friend
>>
>>58799432
Keep thinking that bub
>>
>>58800283
Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot friend.
>>
>>58800706
You can put on PDFs on there. You can also buy them.

They're alright but they're slow if you want to browse quickly. Fine for restive reading though.
>>
>>58800707
i7-7xxxHQ
>>
>>58800508
Which model and carrier?
>>
New Thread

>>58800805
>>58800805
>>58800805
>>58800805
>>
File: cmd2.png (92KB, 681x635px) Image search: [Google]
cmd2.png
92KB, 681x635px
I made a mistake and used Driver pack solution to install drivers on my OS, now the damned thing snuck some shady files (which I deleted) and made window to run cmd and initiate installation of said deleted files.
What can I do to stop this shit? Thanks in advance
>>
>>58799388
VIRUS SCAN
YOU FUCKING
IMBECILE
>>
>>58800740
>what are xeons
>>
>>58800891
>I made a mistake and used Driver pack solution to install drivers on my OS, now the damned thing snuck some shady files
Reinstall.

Use 3DP Chip and 3DPN this time.
>>
>>58801519
The things that require dedicated GPUs
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.