[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does non-free but gratis software exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1472684516553.png (171KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1472684516553.png
171KB, 374x347px
Why does non-free but gratis software exist?
>>
Botnet
>>
>>58784129
Fpbp
/thread
>>
>>58784129
This. If something is gratis but not libre, then you are the product.
>>
File: 1457233123025.jpg (261KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1457233123025.jpg
261KB, 900x900px
Wipe your mouth already you dumb slut
>>
Is there anything more disgusting than """free"""ware?
>>
To install adware on grampa computers
>>
>>58784109
Bait for you to become reliant and end up paying.

Or bait to sell you.

in rare cases a single authors "Ima great artist and this is MY beautiful work, nobody changes anything" autism.
>>
>>58784129
Foobar2000 is le botnet amirite? XDDDD
>>
>>58784369
Yes its nsa bitcoin miner.
>>
>>58784109
1. Ad selling
2. >>58784129
3. Self-promoting
4. Egocentrism
5. License/copyright flaws that will be revealed in case of opening entire code.
6. Hobbyists who do not aware/dont care much about free software making it just for fun.
>>
>>58784206
and if it is gratis and libre, then you are still the product because no fucker ever peer reviews the code
>>
>>58784369
No it's just bad sowftware
>>
GNU is shit. BSD and proprietary software are both superior in every way,
>>
>>58784109
If you aren't paying for it, you are the product.
>>
>>58784674
And if you pay for it, you are still product, but you pay for it (e.g. spotify, adobe creative cloud and so on).
>>
>>58784537
>gratis and libre
> still the product

not really, if its libre in the aspect of forking, you could just remove whatever makes you the product and release a version free of user-use
>>
File: 2060-3.jpg (31KB, 568x287px) Image search: [Google]
2060-3.jpg
31KB, 568x287px
>>58784267
>in rare cases
>>58784129
>botnet
today yes, almost 100%; in 90s early 2000 there was this weird culture of freewares, sharewares, and whatnot

winzip was an abuser of "buy the license" popups, winrar was totally usable, some freewares didnt even nag you with popup to buy the license, or did so "once" a day (winamp? since you usually loaded it once for many hours), many of those had no communication to the server, some only sent and retrieved info on avaiable updates.

still, OPs question is a valid one, why give usable and feature-loaded free versions but not release code?

one answer i can think was to not make it easy for someone to make an illegal fork (closed source, no chance to prove) but waste more money in marketing, using the saved labour of making the program itself to make additional features of a paid version, and drawn the original developer into oblivion. but that answer only makes sense in freewares that existed alongside paid version...

WHAT ABOUT freewares that had no license, no advertising, no network communication, nothing?
im actually trying to recall some, but can only think of a few simple games that followed that model, but i dont remember the names fuck:

top-dow view, 2d spaceships, two teams, 1 ball, 2 target walls, in maps that resembled walls in a blueprint

there was MUD mods, like that dragonball one with dozens of characters, and another with all mortalkombats and another for capcoms fighters i think

and there was RECWAR, recreational warfare, some east european CS student did it as his end coursework in 2003, its hella fun if played via LAN or shared keyboard, its was done in delphi so internet network was shit, but williem jansen never release code, his original website disapeared off the internet, and any emails i could find... i just remembered that now everyone is in linkedin, i should try to find him there.
>>
>>58785691
>MUD mods
sorry, MUGEN mods

>no advertising, no network communication, nothing?
no communication with a server, that is, to gather info on the user
>>
>>58784109
As someone who makes such software I do it because I want to make things for people (they usually start as something I want for myself but why not share?) but I have no interest in either someone copying my stuff and claiming it's their work as part of le libre license or spawning a fanbase of co-devs and whatnot and turning it into a bigger responsibility than it already is.

Note that that's just me. 99% of people out there are evil pricks, so don't trust anyone too lightly
>>
>>58784129
dwarf fortress isn't botnet tbhfamsmh
>>
>le open sorescuck license
not every coder is a freetsrd commie
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.