[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does Linux eat laptop batteries so fast? I get a quarter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: gnu.jpg (99KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
gnu.jpg
99KB, 1200x794px
Why does Linux eat laptop batteries so fast? I get a quarter of the RAM usage as Windows, never get high on CPU usage, and always have low brightness.

I may get 3 hours on the battery only running a teminal or two programming. But, I can have multiple firefox tabs open plus a bloated IDE on Windows and stretch 8 hours.
>>
>>58781807
Lies lies
When I was running Windows, I could not hold longer than 2 hours of video/ 6 hours code/text processing.
Now I'm on Linux: 3+ hours video, endless battery otherwise.
>>
>>58781807
Your power management sucks.
You have to do it manually and I doubt you've looked into it much if you're complaining here.
>>
>>58781807
GNU/Linux is made by a toe jam eating transphobic pedophile and a filthy foreigner.
>>
>>58781807
Until recently I believed all these microsoft shills are just some troll wannabe /v/ kiddies but I was completely Wrong.

Microsoft has been deploying Evangelists to support developers[1] since a long time.

Although a leaked document explicitly mentions that they are not here to support developers, they are here to shill microsoft[2] and undermine [3] other companies.

These are not just trolls. These are professional shills.

Ditch Microsoft products

Don't be fooled my Microshills. They never cared for the users. Their latest strategy is to compete with google for mass surveillance with built in spyware. Data is the most valuable good in the next century and Microsoft is trying really hard to become the monarch.

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm

[2]http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf (page 4,9)

[3]http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf (page 5, 30, 35)
>>
>>58781807
I have to use both Linux and Windows laptops at the lab I work at, and the windows ones usually conk out after about 5h, whereas the Linux ones last 8+ (fully charged ones last a full day, never managed to empty one in a day)

Could just be the software but still
>>
>>58781807
You must be doing something horribly wrong.

My battery lasts significantly longer when running Linux because I can actually control all the power management options instead of just the few that Windows supports. It's the main reason why I'm still using the original battery that came with the computer... over 8 years ago.
>>
>>58781881
>>58781920
>>58781924
>>58781903
Well I guess i'm retarded or installed the worst distro ever.
>>
>>58781907
Wangblows was made by an evil businessman. OSX was made by a gay hippie.
>>
>>58781952
>OSX
you mean XNU
>>
>>58781807
Because you use a linux with an Old kernel
Exemple for me with Atom processor
3.18 80°c and 3hours of battery
4.8 60°c and 5 hours of battery
>>
use powertop and tlp
I went from 4 hours to 8 hours by just installiing powertop
>>
>>58781807
You have to setup ACPI manually on many models.
>>
>>58783240
Mi boi
>>
File: 1476166331742.jpg (30KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
1476166331742.jpg
30KB, 301x267px
>>58781807
Just install TLP if its available for your distro, It helped a lot and automates setting various energysaving options automatically when unplugging ac power (CPU govenor, hdd low power mode, wifi sleep when unused...)
everything is cutomizable if you wish, but defaults are awesome for me
can also give you lots of information about your battery (actual mAh left and max charge level)
If ou have a Thinkpad, there is special extension for TLP be sure to also grab this then
>>
File: 967.png (441KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
967.png
441KB, 500x374px
>>58781903
>Needing to manually set up power control in your OS
>In 2017

APEX KEK MY GOOD MAN.
>>
>>58783240
>>58784894
oh and make sure the service is enabled for it to run on boot, just read the manual
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.