[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon AWS to offer macOS Server instances

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: macOS Server.jpg (53KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
macOS Server.jpg
53KB, 800x500px
Apple has dropped the requirement that macOS must run, bare metal or virtualized, on genuine Apple hardware for Amazon AWS.

The image Apple has provided is locked to AWS and can't be used to boot non-Amazon machines.

The move comes after several state Departments of Educations threatening to drop Macs from schools due to lack of cheap, centralized, hosted administration server options for Mac.
>>
macOS servers look slick as fuck. Shame they don't care about making a decent server OS.
>>
I'm surprised they even care that much, to be honest. My understanding was that cornering the education sector was like getting you first score on the cheap so that the dealer has you hooked for years. But it's no longer exposure to the OS which gets young adults to buy (or have bought for them) Macbooks. It's fashion.

I guess maybe university fine arts programs might still get students suckling on Apple's teet but that wouldn't have anything to do with DoEs.

Weird. I'm thinking it's a different motivation than what you just provided.
>>
>>58781475
Nor a decent OS.
>>
>>58781475
Sever operating systems don't need a GUI wtf
>>
>>58781487
I think it has something to do with ipads and k-12 probably
>>
>>58781505
I've heard from one of my exes, a teacher who then went into state-wide education administration stuff, that those were a disaster and practically all abandoned once the service agreements were up. Apparently Chromebooks are doing much better in classrooms.

Regardless though, I still don't buy the connection between that and "cheap, centralized, hosted administration server options" as being the driving force. Still think they're making a much purer business decision with the AWS hosted servers.
>>
I didn't even realize Apple was still developing a server edition of OSX
>>
>>58781446
That's huge news
>can't be used to boot non-Amazon machines

I guess that's just a user agreement statement I doubt we won't be able to get this working on regular machines.

So what this means? well, hackintosh is basically more accessible now I guess?

Also OP is a fag for not providing a source.
>>
>>58781572
Don't even give it heed either osx server was always just a dead codebase for consumer Mac osx and its not gonna change considering Linux and windows server dominate the internet-facing and private market
>>
So this means hackintoshing will be even easier? It would be great if the fucking shits provided legacy USB drivers.
>>
>>58781598
>The image Apple has provided is locked to AWS and can't be used to boot non-Amazon machines.
>>
>>58781598
I'd also wish that you could make a hackintosh without the use of a mac as well
>>
>>58781598
Not necessarily. It would be easier to create a proper hackintosh system IF the AWS files leak, but still wouldn't be ready to go
>>
>>58781609
Try using just a VM
>>58781633
Ah ok.
>>
Finally you can setup a proper ci/cd environment for Xcode projects without sticking mac minis in random closets. I did a contract setting up pipeline for nearly 100 iOS apps at a mega massive pharmaceutical company and has to put a Mac mini in a cabinet above some managers desk. Lol their data center folks wouldn't let the Mac mini in the DC.
>>
>>58781446
Link? Can't find a source for this.
>>
>>58781674
God damn it op is full of shit.
>>
>>58781666
>Lol their data center folks wouldn't let the Mac mini in the DC
Sounds pretty gay, yeah macs are lame but there do exist enclosures to rack a bunch of minis together clean and tidy.

Even seen an X-serve in the wild which a hosting company was taking care of.
>>
Is there a source on this?
>>
>>58781475
isn't it OSX server the same as the desktop OS?
>>
>>58782152
No, OP is full of shit.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.