[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: 14226239412.jpg (58KB, 638x834px) Image search: [Google]
14226239412.jpg
58KB, 638x834px
thoughts on this book? I'm looking for a book to compliment my learning of Python. Any suggestions are welcome, does not have to be necessarily python specific.
>>
Autism: The Python Course

avoid it
>>
>>58780891
Just read it and stay off 4chan for a month. You will be impressed with the results
>>
>>58780891
>thoughts on this book?
it's garbage, because it's written by Zed Shaw
>>
>>58780912
Any suggestions? I've heard mixed things about learning a new language from a book in general but was hoping for some feedback.
>>
Doesn't it teach Python 2 and not 3? Try "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python"
>>
>>58780949
Thanks! I'll check it out.
>>
its python 2.. avoid that shit like the plague
>>
i'd recommend >>58780949 not because its necessarily better at teaching fundamental skills or anything, but because something in there might actually be practical for you and make you want to learn more and start your own project as opposed to zed's boring joke of a book

its also py2 so your knowledge is deprecated the second you stop reading
>>
>>58780975
>>58780949
thirded
>>
>>58780949
there isn't that much different between py2 and 3, I work with both and it's fairly easy to switch
>>
>>58780965
>>58780975
Thanks all, I'll pick up automate everything then.
>>
Since I have it open.. https://my.mixtape.moe/yuduri.epub
>>
>>58780990
Yes, but it would just make more sense to learn 3 first in found don't know either.
>>
Are any of the hard way books worth getting? They seem to be highly recommended.
>>
>>58780891
If there is a printed one, you may use it for wiping your anus, but any other use case should be ignored. The author is retarded macfag.
>>
>>58780891
I heard the Author is an abrasive dickhead, that aside, i liked the casual tone but i didn't learn much from it. He proposes a lot of exercises but doesn't give proper answers. Avoid.
>>
>>58781037
>programming book
>epub
Just grab a pdf from libgen.
>>
>>58780891

Zed Shaw is a moron
>>
>>58780949
this, i first fell for learn python the hard way, it was bad.
>>
>>58780891
Who needs a book to learn python? It's piss easy. Do you also have a book titled 'Learn to wipe your ass!"
>>
>>58783135
No, but someone probably taught you how to do it.
>>
>>58781037
>>58782989
Just go to http://automatetheboringstuff.com/
>>
>>58783135
How should one learn Python, then? Type into an interpreter until something happens?
>>
>>58783567
Introduction to computer science using Python by Dierbach or Python programming by Zelle
>>
File: 4lBIlImo.jpg (42KB, 433x433px) Image search: [Google]
4lBIlImo.jpg
42KB, 433x433px
>>58783602
>"Who needs a book to learn python?"
>Suggests two python books
>>
>>58780891
it's good in a certain way: it teaches you the very basics in a very orderly straightforward no-frills manner, one concept at a time. it requires you to think and tries to set you up so you can better continue learning after you finished it.

that being said, zed shaw has a certain type of humor, and it's not for everybody. his tone in the book is cynical and stuck-up to the point of being condescending; if you can take it with humor it's great, if you can't stand, you will just stop using it and think, man, what an ass.

also, zed shaw still uses python 2 like a caveman; for the basic concepts that makes no fucking difference though. I didn't listen to him when he said "use python 2 you moron, no really", but instead I found out how to install 2 and 3 next to each other - first great learning experience!

so, in short: it's good if you like to learn by looking up stuff on your own, and learning through what you find on the net. it is relatively short and very basic.

===

the often-recommended automate things on the other hand, is very applied. you're learning the basics, but it's sometimes all over the place and mixes many things together. if you want to be made special and get a feeling of "yaaay I accomplished something" or you won't continue, like a toddler, then this book is for you. don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book, but imho it's overrated, and not a very good start. as a supplement or a second book to work through, it's great though!

in short: it's good for the "leanrning by doing" kind of people, and also a good choice.

I would recommend giving the website version of the hard way a try, if you can't stand the guy, use automate things. or use both.
>>
>>58783648
Yep, that's me
>>
>>58783648
he's an elite computer user and was so busy letting us know that he missed the point of this thread, like the wizard he is.
>>
>>58780891
go to piratebay torrent , and look for TTC - how to program .
its with/about python , the guy is goood !!!
is are small vids but he is clear when he explains it.
>>
>>58780891
I have it. It's ok if you've never programmed a day in your life, otherwise go for a more advanced book. Doing project Euler with stack overflow may be better.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.