[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a single good DAW for Linux to make guitar music with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: ss.png (236KB, 1869x1003px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
236KB, 1869x1003px
Is there a single good DAW for Linux to make guitar music with?
>>
>>58778908
Get a job you dirty hippy.
>>
>>58778908
run a windows one in wine.
>>
>>58778908
Nope. People don't make good software for Linux, if they made good software someone would pay them to make it for a real operating system.
>>
File: 219322.jpg (41KB, 315x476px) Image search: [Google]
219322.jpg
41KB, 315x476px
>>58778930
>trusting WINE with your art and valuable creations
>that 200ms input delay and terrible audio reproduction

are you serious?
>>
LMMS is unironically my favorite after using sony acid, fruity loops, and cubase. it has excellent vsti support and every part of the system is pipeable into every other part, unlike a lot of daws that have a great feature but it's just out there on its own
>>
>>58778908
Bitwig
>>
passthrough your interface to VM and use guitar rig
>>
>>58778908
>Is there a single good DAW for Linux
no faggot, use a real desktop OS.
>>
>>58778908
No, use Windows or Max
>>
>>58778908
Yes any of them. You could even use fucking Audacity. Truth is 90% of people "making" music do not need the features that linux daws are lacking. And those that do need those features are willing to pay.
>>
>>58778952
but it looks like garbage
>>
File: spaghetti.jpg (25KB, 430x300px) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti.jpg
25KB, 430x300px
>>58779093
>any of them
Well that's funny when all of them suck. OP should pick one of the industry standards and stop listening to you deranged people
>>
How do I get low latency audio recording on Linux.

PLEASE.
>>
>>58778908
Bitwig.
>>
>>58779205
Jack and / or pulseaudio support it.

Realtime kernel configuration (often not necessary but if you notice problems, that's what you can do).
>>
>>58779441
are you retarded? Pulseaudio has terrible latency. You should only be recommending Jack.
>>
>>58779463
PA has low and fairly constant latency on a typical machine, and you can quite accurately measure and adjust it, too.

Of course you can be an artfat who thinks he needs the "best" to do his immensely artistic art even before he understand shit for technology and claim you just need that $4k macbook for that great crystal clear audio to use with gold-plated cables and ports, or it's all not accurate and warm enough. Best done before you've measured any problem, eh.
>>
>>58779463
>>58779441
why is Jack such a fucking disaster to setup on Linux (arch)

is it easier on Ubuntu?
>>
>>58779533
I don't know. It wasn't really a problem on Gentoo. Rather super easy to enable support for it.

Jack's own configuration stuff was a bit odd and involved, but I guess that's what you get. Alsa and PA also have the extremely unintuitive bits to them.
>>
>>58779569
PS: As I indicated a few posts before, PA might already work.

Try high priority or realtime PA (yea, like Jack it CAN even do realtime on a kernel that supports it) and see if the latencies -which it can measure- itself aren't okay enough on your machine.
>>
>>58779533
I've never got it working in Ubuntu...
>>
>>58778908
Bitwig
Reaper (with wine)
Ardour
Audacity (tecnically not a DAW but can get shit done)
LMMS and Renoise might work for dem beats but for audio the're a nightmare

JACK is the shit, PulseAudio is only useful for normie shit but is latency hell.
Anyways I dual boot just bcs Ableton Live is my primary DAW and the Launchpad95 scrips only works on windows

>>58779533
Yes, same for debian. Arch is a fucking mess for everything but ricing
>>
>>58779635
>PulseAudio is only useful for normie shit but is latency hell.
It's not even "latency hell" in default configuration, but it does fluctuate a bit more than you'd like.

RT Pulse will be really rather solid (a lot more so than the orchestra performing for $100k/night in an opera house) unless you have WAY more inputs and sinks than I expect you to actually have.

Oh sure, if you're rly srs you'll use Jack, not gonna stop you, but PA is really pretty good already.
>>
>>58778908
ardour is decent

bitwig probably does the trick too but I'm not interested in dumping the cash to find out
>>
>>58779766
It sucks with mi old class compliant 4 channel m-audio interface, its ok if I only use 1 track but as soon as I add more its totally unusable

>>58779774
You can download the Bitwig demo, it has the same features minus export, but just route it to audacity and use it to record if you really need to export something.
Or just pirate it
>>
>>58779846
> It sucks with mi old class compliant 4 channel m-audio interface, its ok if I only use 1 track but as soon as I add more its totally unusable
Can't tell for sure that there isn't a problem in this specific constellation.

But I still am just going to suspect first that you didn't even elevate it to realtime.
Which you however probably did for Jack since most guides indicate how to do that.
>>
>>58778930
Wine is TERRIBLE for audio production.
>>
>>58780049
Is wineasio still a thing?
It wasnt THAT bad, but not good either
>>
>>58779106
As in aesthetically? If so you're a fucking retard for caring. It's a tool not a fucking piece of art.

If you mean from a usability standpoint then I have no input as I've not used in a long time
>>
>>58779441
>>58779205
that. there are low latency versions of the kernel designe for that work
>>
File: 1455820146328.jpg (108KB, 442x798px) Image search: [Google]
1455820146328.jpg
108KB, 442x798px
>>58778908

>linux
>daw

Anon, just install Windows or make a hackintosh.
>>
How the fuck has noone said kxstudio? its basically a linux distro with all the major audio applications installed.

But like honestly why the fuck would you want to make music on linux, you are just gonna fight your machine all day instead of getting down to produce. unless you are doing it for some spergy ass reason.
>>
lol nope, get windows or mac for that, my friend

also, ableton > all
>>
>>58781073
ableton really is master race with max4live and simple workflow, its kinda a little babby tier for advanced mixing compared to cubase or protools but god damn its just so initiative
>>
>>58781090

to me its as if Steve Jobs were to design a DAW. Love the UI/UX.

however i cant really put music together yet.
>tfw know how to use synthesizers but shit at putting together music
>>
>>58781119
ive been producing for like 8 years now. i have zero musical knowledge just keep throwing shit at the wall until it sticks. There are no rules in music, its going to be painfully rough for years but if it really means something to you, you keep working on it and it does get better
>>
>>58778908
Ardour.
>>
>>58781198
he said good
>>
>>58778908
Yes. PAID ONES.
>>
>>58778908
Commercial ones, like Bitwig and Renoise. Although live recording isn't the strong side of Renoise.
>>
>>58778908
what kind of guitar music?

if it's just recording acoustic guitar with some post fx/editing you can use audacity or whatever.
>>
>>58778908
Check out Ubuntu Studio and look at the bundled software. I am too lazy to recite the list from it
>>
One of the many things keeping me from switching fully to linux is Ableton and other audio/music/plugins stuff. Bitwig is still lacking the things I like from Ableton
>>
>>58778908
Ardour ?
Just try Ubuntu Studio live to see What soft you like
>>
>>58782457
I just keep a barebones win7 partition only for Live and use debian for everything else.
Maybe the Push 5 will be standalone and run on a linux kernel and eventually run on ubuntu
2025 the year of the linux desktop
>>
>>58778908
No, get guitar rig under wine or a VM.
>>
>>58781090
Ableton is for nonmusicians (alias babies).

Reaper is for people actually working on songs
>>
>>58779205
install windows
>>
>>58782633
must be fun having to reboot your pc everytime you want to write some music
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.