[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on puppy linux?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 400px-Puppy_logo.svg.png (68KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Puppy_logo.svg.png
68KB, 400x400px
Thoughts on puppy linux?
>>
>>58768536
it's ok
>>
>>58769196
Simple this.
>>
File: hei.png (8KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
hei.png
8KB, 231x218px
Outdated.
Maintained by one guy.
Pointless.
>>
>>58768536
its good for gettig files off old windows pcs. i used to use it with ophcrack to help faimly members who forgot their passwords. it made getting the hash files from their slow machines easy.
>>
It was the first distro I used when my xp machine started having hard drive issues.
>>
my first linux distro, its useful for moving files and stuff from like windows pcs and stuff yeah
>>
File: 1485428809969.jpg (75KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485428809969.jpg
75KB, 480x640px
>>58769274
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>58769210
That's the quirky. The normal puppy i a healthy community project.
>>
>>58768536
does anyone unironically use this as their main distro?
>>
>>58769802
Are you too poor to buy a harddrive?
>>
>>58768536
It's meh. Windows XP tier, but faster and has drivers and all software OOTB. But it would be a nightmare to use as a general desktop OS.
>>
>>58769697
>that pic
He's like a real life Radagast the Brown.
>>
>>58768536
Serves a very specific purpose that I haven't encountered yet. You would be an idiot to use it on anything other than embedded systems.
>>
>>58768536
If you need to recover an old computer is ok, next good thing is Lubuntu.

But for really really really old computers, FreeDOS.
>>
>>58768536
Shit

Use bunsenlabs instead.
>>
>>58768536
The most lightweight in my (limited) personal experience. It worked fine out of the box with a machine where lubuntu was having problems (screen resolution, wifi drivers). I like it, you just gotta get used to the UI
>>
I have a 2GB SD card that serves no other purpose so I made it a Puppy boot drive. Feels good having something like that stashed around
>>
>>58769697
sorry rms, my favorite gnu/linux distro
>>
>>58768536
Sucks for daily, great if your drive died or you need to move files from a broken install
>>
Is there a better distro that can be run off of a USB on RAM only?
>>
>>58767211
>>
>>58770946
TAILS
>>
>>58771053
meant for
>>58770968
>>
LOOPBACKS

LOOPBACKS EVERYWHERE
>>
I use it to run an old sony P3 vaio laptop that has a dead HD.
>>
>>58770486
Thats not a live distro + It has the same driver problems that Debian has.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.