[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Use PowerShell to install Windows Updates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: powershell_2017-02-02_14-55-19.png (24KB, 1103x789px) Image search: [Google]
powershell_2017-02-02_14-55-19.png
24KB, 1103x789px
PowerShell for Windows updates? Why would you want to do this other than the fact that it’s a cool thing to do? Well it’s fairly easy to do and can be easilly automated.

Firstly you will need version 5 of PowerShell which is apart of Windows 10. Since version 5 you can now download and install modules online from the PowerShell Gallery.

First thing you need to do is confirm the version of PowerShell you have:

$PSVersionTable.PSVersion

If version 5 or above, confirm you are running PowerShell as administrator and continue with:

Install-Module PSWindowsUpdate
Get-Command –module PSWindowsUpdate

Then you will need to register to use the Microsoft Update Service not just the default Windows Update Service.

Add-WUServiceManager -ServiceID 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d

Then run:

Get-WUInstall –MicrosoftUpdate –AcceptAll –AutoReboot
>>
windows already updates itself you dumbass
>>
>>58766184
>Updating windows
>Ever
>>
>>58766200

Not via powershell, fucking dumbass! GTFO Win10 retard!
>>
>>58766251

The point is that it would be silly to use Powershell to update Windows when it's already going to force you to update as soon as a new update is available.
>>
>>58766184
>Firstly you will need [...] Windows 10.
nope.avi
>>
>>58767283

Technically you do not need Windows 10 to have Powershell of at least version 5. I mean, I have Powershell 6.0.0-alpha on Linux...
>>
>>58766184
Powershell. Jesus Christ how I hate that fucking piece of absolute shit. At first I thought that it's probably good and I'm juat not used to it because I come from Linux world.
Later I realized it really is as harrible as it seems from a first sight.
>>
>>58766184
>not running wuauclt /updatenow
>>
>>58769035

It's an interesting concept, but it seems like using a sledgehammer when all I want to do is tap in a nail to hold a picture to the wall.

The idea of passing objects between command line programs is interesting. But to jump from shitty batch files with insanely cryptic, patched together extensions, in a horrid Console.exe host, to PowerShell seems weird to me.

All I ever wanted was GNU commands natively on Windows. Bash has its own warts, but at least it was consistent and powerful. But instead, Microsoft gave me this crazy, "modern" scripting language (initially in the same shitty Console.exe host) that's not at all what I asked for.
>>
File: blacked.png (167KB, 300x347px) Image search: [Google]
blacked.png
167KB, 300x347px
>>58766184
>AcceptAll
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.