[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Three things you like about programming languages you do not like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1261949175001.jpg (74KB, 557x433px) Image search: [Google]
1261949175001.jpg
74KB, 557x433px
I have to admit, I like programming language wars. However, they are rarely interesting, since most (not all, of course) people who have a strong opinion they want to share, have very little knowledge of their own favourite language and its alternatives. So I thought it might be interesting to ask people to choose a few programming languages they do not like, and post three points they like about the language. It would be good to cut out things like "is widespread" or "gets funded by $company" and concentrate on properties of the language itself rather than its community and "social status".

Let me begin:

I do not like C++. Good things I noticed:
1. The multithreading system since C++11 is nice
2. It is easy to interface with C and export C functions, which can easily embedded into other languages as well
3. The STL has tools for most situations

I do not like Java. Good things I noticed:
1. Comparably well-designed polymorphy and reflection API
2. Versatile standard API
3. Checks for index overflows, mitigates many programming errors
>>
I do not like Python. Good things I noticed:
1. Tuples and dictionaries are built-in.
2. There is one official Tcl/TK binding instead of one or even more per distribution.
3. The sane part of the Python community doesn't even pretend there could be an actual single-threaded fast enough implementation.

I do not like Ruby. Good things I noticed:
1. Sane parts will move to Crystal, once its ready.
2. String support.
3. Symbols.

I do not like PHP. Good things I noticed:
1. They actually improve some aspects instead of mindlessly piling up features.

I do not like Golang. Good things I noticed:
1. Fast compilation times.
2. Apparently doesn't entirely depend on Github, unlike other languages ecosystems.

I do not like Lua. Good things I noticed:
1. Influenced other interpreted language authors to not completely fuck up their embedding API.

I do not like C++. Good things I noticed:
1. Still more possibilities than C.
2. Might get modules eventually. Maybe.
3. Top tier libraries are available.

I do not like Perl(5). Good things I noticed:
1. Perl 6 solves a lot of the problems.
2. A better C API than CPython and CRuby.
3. Perl 5 support and devs are ceasing.

I do not like JS. Good things I noticed:
Just kidding, there is nothing good in here.

I do not like Haskell. Good things I noticed:
1. Lack of long term goals and quality documentation to become seriously widespread. Le No side effect meme isn't enough.
2. pattern matching

I do not like the whole LISP/Forth/REBOL/[minimal meme here] languages families. Good things I noticed:
1. Lack of standardization and implementation quality to become seriously widespread.
>>
File: th_POWBlock.gif (2KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
th_POWBlock.gif
2KB, 128x128px
>>58766143
>> 1. Lack of standardization and implementation quality to become seriously widespread.

Lisp has an ANSI standard from 1994. And several good free and commercial implementations.

>> 1. Sane parts will move to Crystal, once its ready.

nice! I didn't know crystal yet. looks like an interesting project.
>>
>>58766143
What do you like?
>>
>>58766498
>Lisp has an ANSI standard from 1994.
That sounds like saying Fortran has a standard from 95: Severely outdated. Does it even have intense Unicode support?
>And several good free
SBCL, and... ? GCL sure doesn't count in, as it is a GNU project - where politics goes before quality, except for gcc - and hasn't even been updated since 2014.
>commercial implementations.
That shit doesn't fly if you don't own the platform, though.

>nice! I didn't know crystal yet. looks like an interesting project.
Only time will tell if they can pull it through...

>>58767085
- In theory ML style languages for their pragmatism, but there is a lack of everything.
- Crystal, if they get somewhere...
- Potentially Jai, if Jon doesn't Blow it
- I'd like to like D, but one has to accept that they have failed.
- Less dynamic embedded scripting languages like Wren, Lily, AngelScript, Dart for macros...
- Perhaps someday Rust, only time will tell if they finish it and get a second compiler.
- C# and Java just werk from an engineering PoV and tooling is the best, hands down.
- Zig by the looks of it, but there is just one man behind it, so see #3.

BTW: I forgot:

I do not like Nim. Good things I noticed:
- The same thing that makes it garbage - the semantically leaky compilation to C and C++ allow the use of C++ libraries.

I do not like ChaiScript. Good things I noticed:
- Innovative althought unreadably use of variadic templates and exceptions for its embedded API that from a users perspective clearly is one step ahead passing function pointers at runtime.
>>
>>58767402
SBCL has unicode support, ABCL, CLISP and ECL too, I think. What do you think about Clojure?
>>
>>58767538
>SBCL has unicode support, ABCL, CLISP and ECL too, I think.
I mean good Unicode support. Like built in normalization and all the stuff that would require libiconv in C.
http://www.cliki.net/Unicode%20and%20Lisp sure doesn't seem like it.

>What do you think about Clojure?
It sure is a web developers mem- I mean dream. Why create a language for the VM only not to reap all the benefits.
>>
>>58765706
I do not like Java. Good things I noticed:
1. Easy to setup, program in and deliver a product
2. Huge amount of libraries and build systems (maven)
3. Really fast (for bytecode)

I do not like Ruby. Good things I noticed:
1) Everything is an object and their methods make sense (not like Python where there is a len(object))
2) Deploying ruby on rails is really easy

I do not like Assembly. Good things I noticed:
1) You actually understand how loops, functions amd so on really work under the hood (or at least the bigger picture)
>>
>>58768799
Assembly isn't really made for being liked I think.
>>
I'm sick of the proliferation of languages. Everyone is chasing a fucking unicorn. "If we just change x and modify y then our language derived from the syntax of that other language will be PERFECT!"

No. No it will not.

Above a certain core level, language features add the least to productivity, and are completely overshadowed by losses due to lack of familiarity. Not to mention discarded code that was tested and working in the other language.

In the late 90's and early 2000's I felt like I could learn a few languages in depth. Now I feel like I'm spread too thin because every mother fucker on the planet wants to bring his God damn pet language or tool into a project. "If we use this binding with this pattern to build this bridge we can integrate our C#, C++, PHP, Ruby, Rust, and Python code with JavaScript, AppleScript, Haskell, Java, and Perl and our productivity will skyrocket!"

No. No it will not. I wish most fucking languages would die. I wish most fucking web libraries would die to. And I wish the functional programming meme would be limited to data analytics. Bringing that shit into any other project should be a death sentence.

We would all be better off if we learned a few languages and related design patterns in depth rather than chasing every fucking meme.

While I'm at it: Python should either adopt brackets or be outlawed on pain of death.
>>
>>58769504
Not really on topic
>>
File: 1485846398188.png (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1485846398188.png
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>58767402
>>58766143

>probably the most realistic posts /g/ has ever seen
>>
I don't like OCaml, but there is few things:

1) Built for recursion
2) GOD DAMN PATTERN-MATCHING
3) Good entry language for learning
>>
>>58770052
Should I have prefaced it with

>I hate all these fucking languages
>Good things I've seen in having 9,001 languages
>>
>>58772753
So what language do you like?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.