[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /g/, I wanna make a Linux distro. How would you like it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (6KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 214x236px
Hello /g/, I wanna make a Linux distro. How would you like it to be? What should it be based on?
>>
I can make the logo
>>
This is a genuine good question though.

Seeing as nowadays everyone and his mom is making a distro, instead of contributing to existing ones, it shouldn't be too difficult, right?
>>
>>58762127
https://susestudio.com/
>>
>>58762127
A distro that uses Debian core with Wayland and Compiz. Everything else is secondary. I want a distro that does not shit itself with screen tearing and is lightweight < 300mb ram usage.
>>
>>58762127
-devuan based
-livecd, with option to install
-light DE with programs to browse the web, listen to music, watch videos. basically what 4chan neets do.
-depressing anime wallpaper by default
-call it "neetbook"
>>
>>58762422
Yes. Tearing is one of the biggest issues I have with some linux distros. By default, anything that has XFCE or MATE I have to install Compiz or Compton on to get rid of that issue. On KDE, the desktop doesn't work smoothly with vsync enabled. Tearing is a horrible thing.
>>
>>58762457
I tried compton on xfce, it has an issue with GTK3 apps showing translucent bezels on applets. I tried KDE even with full redraw, Firefox smooth scrolling is horrible. I tried Cinnamon with Muffin, even worse than before.

Only Compiz on Unity gave some relief but still Asla/Pulse are not working properly on my laptop. I can only hear whispers even on max volume.

Something is seriously wrong with how Linux interacts with devices.
>>
>>58762127
Whatever you want to make it's already done by someone else.
Don't even try.
Instead try to improve already existing worth to use distro.
>>
>>58762127
I want to see a distro aimed for large scale virtualization.
Hopefully something I can effortlessly manage headlessly over the network.
>>
>>58762127
anything that's not based on LFS is trash.
>>
>>58762127
>I wanna make a Linux distro
>What should it be based on?
>>>/out/
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>58762423
NeetOS
Neetix
>>
>>58762127
>Take existing OS.
>Replace logo with something edgy and offensive.

/G/tardOS
>>
>>58762370
> genuine good question though.
> nowadays everyone and his mom is making a distro

that's why it's a stupid idea moron

the only good reasons for "distros" nowadays is to do things like Android that Google did, actually have a fucking reason, e.g. market it well, develop it well on the top level and stuff like that, getting a few linuxtards out of another linuxtard place with exactly the same software and methods is literally stupid.

if you need a linux distro that is common just run debian. there is zero reason to have another around. run testing or unstable if you need newer packages. they are MORE stable than others claiming "stability", even on the unstable distribution occasionally.
>>
>>58762127
Based on Manjaro and Antergos but doesn't have a graphical installer.
>>
why isnt there a /g/distro yet?
>>
>>58767587
Logos is dead because no one cares
>>
Make a BSD distro instead, we already have plenty of Linux ones around.
>>
>>58766120
>debian
What if I don't want apt to delete half my system for reinstalling a package
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.