[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Personal Appeal to Open Source Advocates.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1472944514293.jpg (34KB, 685x720px) Image search: [Google]
1472944514293.jpg
34KB, 685x720px
Hey. I just wanted to make this clear upfront: I have no issues with open source creations or people who enjoy them, but I do see an issue with their advocacy and methods of handling proprietary software.

For starters, people are free to create proprietary things. That should be just as much of a right as doing the opposite. Stop being a fag who gets assblasted because you can't dip your fingers into what someone else made and fuck around with it and share it for free. Let people decide which they think is best. You will get nowhere by being an asshole who acts pissed off because they didn't get to freely make copies of someone elses work.

Secondly, open source advocates can't leave shit alone. Every aspect of life must be open source. Open source software, open source government, open (source) relationships. It gets old real fast when you interject your philosopy onto fucking everything. It needs to stop.

So, just stop the bullshit. Something being closed off from you is not always bad. You aren't entitled to shit someone else made and worked hard on nor is it beneficial to apply your open source meme into every aspect of life. That is all.
>>
>>58761323
Install Gentoo
>>
Actually, the linux thing I forgot all about. Stop hopping on linux like it's the best thing since sliced bread. The only reason linux is safe from viruses and other shit is because nobody cares about you. You are such a tiny fraction of the OS market that you aren't worth infecting. Your open source shit only exists because Windows is popular and draws most attention there. Because if Linux was popular, any scumbag can go right to your source code and make something to fuck you right in the ass without even trying.

So, before you go preaching about how safe and superior linux is, think about why it is able to be safe. If it became popular to use, it would be far less secure because the source is easily available to any skiddie or pro hacker there is. Say what you want about windows, but at least the hackers and virus makers of the world have to put some effort in to do their job. On linux it'd take them 5 minutes do to how vulnerable a thing is when the code is right there for all to see and exploit at their leisure.
>>
>>58761374

For a good example of why this is the case, take this.

Let's assume I am a general in a war. I have my battle plans ready to go. What should I do?

Open source: Here's my battle formation and our battle plans. Just hand it right over to the enemy. It's free as in freedom. Simply knowing my plans can't hurt because we have so many more troops to look it over.

Proprietary: Fuck you. I'm keeping my plan a secret because I actually want to get shit done rather than stand up for an ideal that would let my enemy fuck me over.

Now which is better?
>>
OP, that's not how anything works.
I'd take it my time to explain it to you, but given how you've redacted your thread as an attacking rant (see open relationships, for instance), I take it you don't actually want to learn anything.
>>
>>58761433

Who's the general and who is he trying to invade/protect when pleb like you buy intel based laptop with Windows preinstalled?
>>
>>58761374
You do know that linux is used on the vast majority of servers and smartphones, right? And speaking of smartphones, darwin (the kernel used in iOS) is Open-Source too. Microsoft joined the linux foundation because they had to care.
>>
>>58761433
This comment proofs pretty well, that you have no idea about crypto or software security in general.
Thanks for invalidation the entire point.
>>
File: IMG_5630.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5630.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>58761323
Nice post op, but next time start it with
>current state of open source
its the new meme, get with the times
>>
>>58761433
When I read the OP I was wondering if you were just confused about what open source was about, but in this post you've confirmed what an idiot you are so thanks for that.
>>
File: racist and sexist.png (109KB, 656x620px) Image search: [Google]
racist and sexist.png
109KB, 656x620px
Please remove that racist image.
>>
>>58761642

How is it not true?

Let's say I am a hacker and I want to spread a virus or fuck shit up. What would be easier? A closed source program or one that shows me the inner workings entirely?

Yeah, doing it on Windows is more profitable because of how many use it, but that is my point. If Linux was ever popular then it would be far easier to exploit because the entire inner workings of the operating system/program are right there. It does not matter how many eyes are watching it. What matters is how skilled the person doing the looking is. There just isn't any of that because of how few people use it.

And as for the retard who said shit about servers and smartphones. 1. Servers get hacked all the time. 2. There are plenty of viruses and malware that can get onto mobile devices.
>>
>>58761433
metaphores are never a good base for an argument.
>>
File: 1451117019318[1].png (20KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1451117019318[1].png
20KB, 800x533px
The only worse thing then proprietary software is half-proprietary half-FOSS chink and pajeetware abominations like Android and most SBCs
>>
>>58761374
>>58761323
t. shill
install gentoo
>>
I'm a (mostly) open source user and I agree with you, quite a few are taking the whole idea too far. Live and let live and all that…
However:

>>58761323
>For starters, people are free to create proprietary things. That should be just as much of a right as doing the opposite. Stop being a fag who gets assblasted because …
True. However it gets a kind of an issue when basic things are proprietary only.
I'm perfectly fine with specific, specialized things being closed (and even expensive), like CAD software or Photoshop, however when you have a vendor lock in with basic things, this becomes an issue!
>You wanna communicate with your school?
>sure, just get a windows machine and MS office, because we made sure that our documents are so shitty that libreoffice will even cause issues with the most basic 1 page document
Fuck that shit.

>Secondly, open source advocates can't leave shit alone. Every aspect of life must be open source. Open source software, open source government, open (source) relationships.
>open (source) relationships.
Seriously?
But in the case of government (and "government" data) it makes sense.
I voted for those fuckers, so I might as well be informed what they do, so that I can base my next voting decision on a solid foundation.
and all the data they have has been aquired with the help of the money I paid, so gimme that stuff!
>>
>>58761691
>If Linux was ever popular then it would be far easier to exploit because the entire inner workings of the operating system/program are right there.
But it is fucking popular!
Most servers (where you can get some really nice haul, if you manage to crack it) and smartphones (android, those nowadays have way more valuable content on them than the average normie desktop, from >nudez too financial information + an app to give you free access the bank account to go with it in many cases) are running linux, yet (besides google having zero qualitiy control in their appstore) we have no cases were folks simply read the >battle plans and take over servers and phones left and right.

tl;dr:
OP has no clue about anything.
>>
File: le_open_windows.jpg (217KB, 1200x673px) Image search: [Google]
le_open_windows.jpg
217KB, 1200x673px
Daily remainder that OP is a fag
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.