[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Times you fucked up your PC. Reminisce on times where you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: water.jpg (746KB, 1600x1195px) Image search: [Google]
water.jpg
746KB, 1600x1195px
ITT: Times you fucked up your PC.
Reminisce on times where you wasted hundreds/thousands of dollars because you're retarded.
>>
>>58760756
when i bought a laptop that wasn't a macbook
wew, what a mistake that was! glad i learned my lesson
>>
just last year

>hadn't fiddled with the inside of a PC for almost 15 years
>had one built in 2010 with parts I bought
>decide to clean it myself
>fucked up the PSU
>>
>>58760756
Never done that sorry
Its so inexplicably easy to assemble and maintain pc components that i struggle to find any excuse as to why anyone could make any mistakes
Did ye never play with legos as wee laddies?
>>
>>58760768
You went from retarded to a homo retard.
>>
File: great job.png (338KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
great job.png
338KB, 500x521px
how is it even possible to accidentally fuck up a computer?

i'm pretty dumb, but not that dumb.
>>
>>58760777
How on earth did you manage to fuck the PSU?
>>
>>58760802

I guess I either didn't ground myself or got some cotton bit lodged in it.

Who the fuck knows..
>>
i broke my hd4850 a year or two after i got it when i changed cases. i assume static blew it up but it just stopped working. that's pretty much all i've ever done
>>
>>58760813
oh, so you opened the psu case to remove dust and rubbed cotton with alcohol in the pcb surfaces?

psu circuits arent as fragile as mobo
>>
>>58760778
Mistakes happen. When I was a teenager I fucked up my PC build bad and broke and bent pins on my motherboard and processor because I was a fucking moron. I couldn't imagine breaking one now considering how easy it is to put one together in this day and age.
>>
I threw an empty glass bottle of Mickey's at my open PC case, it broke on my GTX260, sending glass shards everywhere which seemed to cut or damage traces on both the motherboard and the 260 because I never got either working again.
I actually intended to throw the bottle at the ground but it left my hand a little too soon. Luckily the case caught all the glass and it was rather easy to clean up.
>>
>>58760829

yes and then it fucked itself I don't know why
>>
>>58760893
Dude that's an easy way to kill yourself
>>
>>58760900

if only it worked
>>
File: IMG_20160213_203642.jpg (2MB, 3088x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160213_203642.jpg
2MB, 3088x4160px
Somehow none of the pins broke.
>>
When I bought two corsair CX600M power supplies. They've been gathering dust for years now.
>>
>>58760756

Spilled a beer on my PC 2 weeks after I pieced it together.

Was quite mad about it, but I cleaned it up real well and lied to newegg that the mobo was DOA. I got the mobo replaced and all is well.
>>
File: front_drive_cages[1].jpg (67KB, 500x559px) Image search: [Google]
front_drive_cages[1].jpg
67KB, 500x559px
Nearly a decade ago I had an Antec 900.

I had just gotten everything set up. Installed my new Western Digital 750GB Caviar Black drive in the removable cages and was carrying it up the stairs.

*slide* *CRASH* The cages slipped out because I forgot to tighten them.

>Hello, newegg? My drive was dead on arrival. RMA plz.

Also the 900 was garbage because no dust filters.
>>
>>58761083
>>Also the 900 was garbage because no dust filters.

To be fair most cases didn't them back then.
>>
File: 1473446026040.jpg (36KB, 417x353px) Image search: [Google]
1473446026040.jpg
36KB, 417x353px
>>58760756

I actually fucked up once at iBuyPower. it's amazing I didn't get fired.

>be at Chinese computer assembly li... I mean ibuypower
>orders are purposefully allowed to be submitted even if the parts you select don't fit so we can overcharge you for changing your config to more expensive parts
>attempting to fit 4-way sli gtx980 into a fucking cheap case with ZERO room for cable management
>we have a daily quota, you are to spend no more than 15 MINUTES per build or you get yelled at by fob Chinese workers
>I disregard this rule today to attempt this impossible quad sli in a no name brand case
>I disregard the other rule to not build an order if the pc parts don't fit.
>I spend an entire 7.5 hour shift building it
>not enough fan headers? splice some cables
>not enough power connectors? ALL THE ADAPTORS
>auxiliary molex power cable doesn't fit into the mobo? fuck it, strip the cables and shove them into the mobo with improvised tweezers
>fingers bleeding tightening cable ties
>it's done.

$5,000 worth of pc goes down the line and i'm getting ready to leave. suddenly, an angry Chinese voice.

>ANON, what the fuck you do here?

I explain everything stand proudly as the beast roars to life for the first time. 9 FUCKING CASE FANS at 100%. it was beautiful.

>ANON, this no good
>take it apart, use different case

nope

>admin called
>tells me the same thing, take it apart

fuck you guys, it's working.

They leave to talk to another manager. I take the BEAST and put it on the shipping line with no one looking. watch as it gets wrapped and boxed. the managers come back and ask me to come into the office.

>basically just tell me wtf and do what you're told
>I tell them she's already free
>?
>they go back to look
>the boxed was SHIPPED during my talk with the manager

I had taken the BEAST from assembly to shipping, skipping the OS install and burn in phase, KEK.

The customer complained about no OS and the cost of sending a guy over was taken out of my check.
>>
>>58760756
I did fuck up while modding the bios of an old prebuilt that I had. Luckily the BIOS was held on an SPI EEPROM so flashing it was easy, which fixed it. I also broke one pin of a pentium 4 once. Luckily it was one of the vcc or ground pins so ot still works.
>>
>>58760756
>watercooling
>>
>>58761195
If you love her let her go

you did the right thing.
>>
>>58761195
I will never get people who spend upwards of $4000 on a PC and then skimp out on the fucking case. If you're going to spend so much you might as well spend the extra for a decent case. Hell, you can get great cases like the 200R for under $75.
>>
My gpu shortes somehow and took my mobo with it
So i broke every other part inside the pc, including bending 32gb worth of ram in half, putting a screwdriver through a 500gb 850 evo, psu, hdd's, took pliers to a 4770k, i later burned the whole thing in my forge until it was literally just ash and a blob of slag
>>
I accidentally broke 2 capacitors off a 660ti 2 years ago and it still works
what a great card
>>
File: 1228621115468.jpg (19KB, 297x350px) Image search: [Google]
1228621115468.jpg
19KB, 297x350px
>have an old ass mobo
>came with a pentium D 820
>got some newer processors from my work
>2 core2 duo's and 1 core2 quad
>dont know what i was thinking but i take the pentium and encase it with silicone
>plug the quad in and try to boot
>doesnt work
>neither of the duos work either
>decide they only gave them to me because they were fucked or something
>smash the quad into a zillion pieces and do the same to one of the duos
>realise at some point that i dont have a PC now because i put the pentium in a silicone grave
>spend 3 hours spraying this poor chip with a pressure washer to get half cured silicone off it
>it actually works
>find out online that for the core2 series to work with my mobo i need a bios update
>need version F9 for the newer processors
>i have F7
>download new bios and try the last duo again
>werks
>die inside because i never checked which series those other processors were
>mfw i find out they were extreme editions from a server and i literally smashed them to pieces
>still have the bentium and the duo
please tell me i'm stupid
>>
File: 1367668962226.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1367668962226.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>58761308
>>
>>58760756
I spent $500 on an i7 930 and motherboard, when I could've waited a few weeks and spent $300 on an i5 2500k and motherboard.
>>
When I was young and new to desktops and building, I spent hundreds on two shitty eBay builds.

I've also wasted about $100 on mice and another $200 on a shitty keyboards and $300 on a monitor.
>>
>>58761195
how the fuck is a chinese sweatshop worker posting on here
>>
>>58761698
maybe because he made the whole thing up? that seems pretty obvious lol
>>
File: 1481244405761.png (5KB, 604x381px) Image search: [Google]
1481244405761.png
5KB, 604x381px
>tfw lost the jumper configuration of a computer from 1995 while twiddling with it
>tfw no documentation anywhere
rip bentium bro
>>
>>58761715
>not trying one of two ways.
If it's gonna be fucked if ya don't you may as well do.
>>
On a customer's computer (Acer) I updated the BIOS. Except the motherboard had an undocumented BIOS lock jumper that was set.

No big deal right?

Well the BIOS flash failed but apparently the jumper only prevents writing a new BIOS to it, it won't prevent you from wiping out the bootstrap and inititalization code.

Whoops.

Had to order a new bios chip and install it.
>>
File: clockmed burning cpu.jpg (75KB, 789x859px) Image search: [Google]
clockmed burning cpu.jpg
75KB, 789x859px
>>58761508
I fucked up worse. I bought a phenom II X4 when sandy bridge was already out.
>>
File: agp.jpg (86KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
agp.jpg
86KB, 640x480px
A minor fuckup:

I received a K6-III system for my birthday one year, and my very first order of business was to get a new video card for it. I ended up picking up a PCI GeForce 2 MX and thought I picked well for my machine.

Only later did I learn what 'the brown slot' was for.
>>
File: image.gif (200KB, 278x225px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
200KB, 278x225px
>>58761308
wtf
>>
>>58760756
>First PC build a few years ago
>Buy FX-4130, R7 260X, 8GB of value ram, WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
>Overpay for a CM Storm Scout 2 case
>forget to do the lever part for the CPU socket
>forget to buy a PSU, overpay for a 750W EVGA PSU
>have upgraded almost all parts (16GB RAM, FX 6300, 2TB SSHD, new motherboard, R9 290X) PC still has heat issues
>>
>>58760756
>be me
>troubleshooting my PC
>trying to replace the PSU
>the plug is too tight
>shaking it while pulling out
>it pulls out
>2 pins got curved or something
>started to panic
>made an idea
>trying to straighten up with my screw driver
>trying to plug the replacement PSU
>itfits.jpg
>boot it up
>booting.webm

I'm just a beginner that time
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.