[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help with my next steps in learning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: c-plus-plus-like-a-sir.jpg (9KB, 495x289px) Image search: [Google]
c-plus-plus-like-a-sir.jpg
9KB, 495x289px
Hi, I'm relativity new to the coding scene and I was wondering if there are any decent platforms for learning C++ in depth. I've gotten the basics down by myself but I find it difficult to find any websites that explain memory allocation and stuff such as that in simple english. Please send help (Pic for attention)
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.jpg (12KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.jpg
12KB, 240x300px
Buy or pirate a copy of this.
Start at Ch.1 and go all the way through, and do every exercise.
>>
>>58759529
thanks for making a whole thread for this question
sage
>>
File: batman_poobrain.jpg (11KB, 267x280px) Image search: [Google]
batman_poobrain.jpg
11KB, 267x280px
>>58759529

> I've gotten the basics down

>I find it difficult to find any websites that explain memory allocation and stuff such as that in simple english.

Mhmmm...

What's there to be confused about? It's insanely simple. You need to allocate memory on the heap dynamically when you need it, and then deallocate it when you're done so you don't have memory leaks in your software.
>>
>>58759547
fpbp.

If you want to leanr C++ learn C first. Everything else makes your life a lot harder.
>>
>>58761596

>tfw register int a; int* b =&a; is valid in c++

it's probably best to regard them as different language.
>>
>>58761633
>it's probably best to regard them as different language.
Of course.

But C++ is a giant language and when learning C you will learn a lot of very important things about a part of that language, without having to deal with the rest.
>>
>>58761669

>Be C programmer for 12+ years
>pointer gymnastics and torturous cargo cult to make compiler happy
>learn C++
>hired to do C++ in embedded projects
>???
>Better life expectancy for programmers

In theory C programmer can make easy transition to C++ programmer but to me it was horrible process. It would have been much more productive if my school taught me C++ STL from the start and dumb down to C iff we need to write device driver for linux.
>>
>>58761761
I learned how to program using C.
I really threw myself into it and learned all of the ins and outs of the language.
I learned C's elegance and simple but effective design.
Whenever I see any serious piece of C++, I cannot help but be disgusted.
It is seriously a horribly designed language that just tainted the elegance of C.
>>
>>58761783

what's so elegant about reimplementing hashtable in 20+ different ways?

C is simple and most people (including older version of me) want language that produce runnable code ASAP because "real work" begins in debugger(or any other dirty tricks for inspecting processor state in runtime).

There's nothing wrong with that approach but in some settings, spending several hours away from keyboard, coming up with sane design from type system level and then writing actual code is more desirable.
>>
>>58759529
Please remove the word coding, use programming
>>
>>58759529
You should really consider one of the online learning sites and buy one of the better C++ textbooks, which there are plenty, just go by reviews.
The great advantage of online learning sites and courses instead of just self learning is you get projects that are well designed on implementing basic data structures such as pointers, stacks, "smart" pointers, RAII etc. It would be too confusing for yourself to know that you should work on these problems by hand and ignore some of the less important ones.

I was a bit of a doubter of online learning but I took a few CUDA related courses and find them pretty good. Not as good as taking an actual CS course in a good uni obviously but much much better than self learning. Don't trust the autists on /g/ and absolutely don't waste your time on C if C++ is what you want to learn. It's nice if you can also learn C at a different time but C++ is C++.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.