[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is "free" software always playing catch-up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

File: crapware.png (83KB, 680x693px) Image search: [Google]
crapware.png
83KB, 680x693px
Why is "free" software always playing catch-up?
>>
because it's free you dumbass
>>
File: ps.jpg (8KB, 190x200px) Image search: [Google]
ps.jpg
8KB, 190x200px
its makers are quite slow
>>
>>58759491
/thread
>>
What's the point? The ribbon isn't that great of a feature and post-2010 Office edition is a step down.
>>
File: 1485113905766.jpg (111KB, 1280x702px) Image search: [Google]
1485113905766.jpg
111KB, 1280x702px
Thank fuck. Tried using that garbage once, and the GUI was horrible
>>
File: a90.jpg (75KB, 508x643px) Image search: [Google]
a90.jpg
75KB, 508x643px
>>58759560
>developers who do it for free trying to "compete" with Microsoft's entire office suite division.
>>
>>58759664
Why then do I see so often Linux users claiming that the free stuff is "just as good"?
>>
>>58759475
A better question is why it's trying to copy the worst features of proprietary software.
>>
>>58759746
Probably expecting stupid people to think that the quality would be the same because of the similar looks.
>>
>>58759475
It's not even a default option
It exists solely to help people switch over because they can't be fucked to learn a new interface
>>
>>58760233
>>It exists solely to help people switch over because they can't be fucked to learn a new interface
>>New interface
>>2003 was 14 Years ago
>>
>>58759560
go away baby duck and take your shit Office 95 interface with you
>>
>>58759746
A better question is why proprietary software has more features (irregardless of whether they're better or worse)?
>>
Because why not?

inb4
>C-C-C-COMMUNIST! FILTHY... UH.... L-LIBERAL!
>>
>>58762984
MS Word are for people too retarded to use Latex and they don't any of the """features""" found in Word but not in libreoffice anyway
>>
>>58763109
retarded statements like that make me think you've never used ms word or latex in your life
>>
>>58759734
Because they're usually wrong by every possible metric.
>>
File: 1485912516089.jpg (605KB, 800x820px) Image search: [Google]
1485912516089.jpg
605KB, 800x820px
>>58759475
>>
>>58759475
It's been literally 10 years since it was introduced. Ribbon interface is now the norm, whether you like it or not.

I do, so I'm glad they're finally catching up with times.
>>
>>58763109
No, they use Word because they aren't NEETs and have actual jobs and need to get shit done. They can't waste theyr days on your timesink crapware and need Word in order to be able to quickly mail merge with their customers spreadsheet on Excel and do actual business instead of playing around drawing funny formulae on toy software.
>>
>>58763166
This post is hate speech.
>>
>>58763387
90% of word users use MS Word as if it was Notepad.
At least in a business setting.
>>
>>58759499
I blame java for this.
>>
>>58763402
87.3% of statistics are made up
>>
>>58759475
I'd be worried if they didn't
>>
>>58759475
Looks like you can't minimize it, what's even the point?
>>
>>58759475
He asks while posting from a windows 10 machine which only just got "software center", workspaces, ISO mounting and a few other features which foss OSs had for a long time.
>>
>>58763600
Windows has had that since forever too, just not out of the box, through third-party software.
>>
>>58759475
The ironing of OP is in thinking a ribbon interface is something important.

>>58763150
Nope. The main reason anyone "needs" a Microsoft product is because Microsoft has a virtual monopoly that creates an artificial need (difficult opt-out) for some endusers. As long as Microsoft has its virtual monopoly it's good business for them to find ways to strongarm people into using their products and proprietary formats while fucking them in the ass for laughs.
>>
>>58762019
Ribbons where Introduced with MS Office 2007 Not 2003, iirc.
>>
Man I don't get the hate for the ribbon at this point. The idea of combining two redundant elements (toolbar and drop down menus) into one that is better organized makes a lot of sense. Plus it saves clicks and makes it easier to discover functionality
>>
>>58763818
The usual baby duck syndrome.
>>
>>58763818
Yeah but it's microsoft.
>>
File: laff broads laff.jpg (78KB, 436x399px) Image search: [Google]
laff broads laff.jpg
78KB, 436x399px
>>58763387
That post is a fine example of how it's not really about the software but about the power of having a virtual monopoly. That you are too arrogant to realize this is humorous given your pretensions of being an important and clued-in mover and shaker. What you actually are is a useful idiot a corporation like Microsoft loves: a clueless end user with delusions of grandeur rationalizing why Microsoft is inherently superior.

I'm typing this from a Windows 7 system, by the way.
>>
>>58763818
I personally dislike them because they're a bit inconsistent. I really do mean a bit though; I'm talking about, for example, Excel themes are in "Page Layout" but Word themes are in "Design." (In fact I don't even understand why the name "Page Layout" was used. Pages are an afterthought in Excel which uses workbooks and worksheets. Word simplifies it to "Layout" because there can indeed be page- or document-wide layout choices made.)

Ultimately I use keyboard shortcuts anyway but I don't agree that ribbon organization is better. It's inconsistently different. Menus were perfectly fine and only needed to be made even more uniform, not replaced.
>>
>>58763897
Fair enough, it doesn't really help you that much because you tend to use shortcuts so the few times you'd use the tabbed menus it would probably be about the same as the drop down menus from before. I'm sure it does help less experienced people though.

The thing I like about the ribbon interface is that it leaves the menus open and the options are visible even if you're doing something else so you can just glance up and look through the options and change to a different option. With the dropdown menus from before the menu would close after you selected an option. The other thing I like is how it organizes the buttons into groups.
>>
>>58759475
Why would you put the word free in quotations? Are you trying to debate its price and/or license?

Fucking idiors
>>
The real question is why aren't you using Latex and how could you survive with this little of intelligence?
>>
>>58759475
Source? I had gotten the latest update for LibreOffice yesterday and my Writer program looks nothing like that. Why am I under the sinking impression that this is just a theme?
>>
>>58764443
It's not enabled by default it's hidden behind two options. It's a stupid kneejerk reaction because Microsoft started the ribbon interface trend
>>
>>58764467
>kneejerk reaction
>10 years later
k.
>>
>>58764501
LibeOffice only added it with this update though.
>>
>>58764512
He's saying that a kneejerk reaction is a reflexive one, made in immediate response to a stimulus.

You wouldn't say that I had a kneejerk reaction to being smacked in the back of the head if I spun around swinging my fist *ten years later.*
>>
>>58764527
They're reacting to the fact that libreoffice added it. They're not reacting to the fact that Microsoft added it (anymore anyway)
>>
>>58764416

Never heard of it, does it include an Access-like DBMS with VBA support and reporting tools? Spreadsheet app with graphs and power query integration? Outlook-like PIM with Exchange and AD integration?
>>
>>58764540
Here's the chain of comments:

>OP: free software is playing catch-up
>I suspect it's just a theme
>Response: "It's [the LO ribbon] a stupid kneejerk reaction" to MS's ribbon trend
>Criticism: it's not a kneejerk reaction if it's ten years after MS released their ribbon

The only reference to a reaction here is on the part of LO reacting to MS. That happened on the line I labeled "Reaction." It was in reference to the LO ribbon being "kneejerk" which it isn't.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>58764592
Well I hadn't intended for it to be interpreted that way but it can't be helped I guess.
>>
>>58764592
I find your attempts at teaching the ESL futile, and something that doesn't belong on 4chan.

>>58764687
Literally no other way it could be interpreted. Go back to whatever non-English country you came from.
>>
>>58764721
>I find your attempts at teaching the ESL futile
teri maa ki chooth
>>
Arch ricer, but I would never use anything but Word
>>
>>58763718
That's a sorry damage control.
>>
>>58759664
>Microsoft's entire office suite division.
>a dozen .NET monkeys straight out of college

MS office is bloated, broken and horribly slow. in purely technical aspects the FOSS community is usually ahead.

>>58759475
here's an answer; commercial devs can generate demand. FOSS devs generally don't because they allocate no resources to market research.

meaning few real advancements are made in the UX department until, say, Apple or MS (etc) pioneer them. LibreOffice devs are only concerned with providing that functionality in an ethical manner. they have no incentive to innovate.

the whole "Unix philosophy" is getting in the way too. this isn't necessarily a bad thing but it can explain why FOSS projects are reluctant to tack shiny new features onto their software.
>>
always the same shitty '90 icons
>>
>>58763750
bullshit.
I'm a huge LO fan, but ms office is just better for business use(libre still better when you don't need biz macros and other stuff)
>>
>>58763600
/thread
>>
>>58765827
Whatever is cheaper and provides equal results is better for businesses. So WPS > MSO. It may not be libre, but it's gratis AND available on every platform.
>>
>>58765961
That's clear evidence that you've never worked in a professional environment to me
>>
>>58759475
Because of baby-duck syndrome.

The ribbon interface sucks. But people are used to it now and complain that LO is different than MSO. So LO has to integrate the awful ribbon-interface to gain more users.
>>
>>58766478
If people are asking for it, then why is it awful?
>because of baby-duck syndrome
inb4 wanting thumbnails in a file picker is also a baby duck syndrome, again proving that freetards can't into marketing or UX design
>>
>>58764548
yeah lmao
>>
>>58764911
I don't have to damage control, everybody uses Microsoft Office. You're the ones damage-controlling. This entire thread is basically only you damage-controlling after getting rectally shattered by OP.
>>
File: money.jpg (47KB, 506x337px) Image search: [Google]
money.jpg
47KB, 506x337px
companies like apple have for decades made new software that will make your life easier
>>
>>58759475
>Always

Why did M$ play catch up with multiple desktops?
>>
>>58766074
>office
>professional
It's just a glorified text editor/viewer. Almost nobody uses anything that can't be open in WPS or Libre.
>>
>>58766074
it's clear you've never done anything more than hold back industry with your shitty excel garbage sheets that are slow to maintain and update.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.